Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Serious Sam

Serious Sam This is the place to discuss anything that either spans multiple games or doesn't fit with one specific game!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2017, 03:48 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Default If the levels of the main games were made with 100% speedruns in mind...

I wonder if you could modify the levels of main Serious Sam games so that were designed with 100% speedrunning in mind, would it also improve the experience for other players?

(100% speedrunning in Serious Sam terms means that leave the least amount of enemies (preferably 0) unkilled and trigger all the secret areas.)

In order for those speedruns being exciting, you have to consider following:

1. Minimize the time where you have stop, waiting for the enemies to spawn. Basically reduce enemy trickle. Basically, while you kill enemies faster than they spawn, you have to stay in place.

2. Get rid of long stretches of uneventful walking to get from point 1 to point 2.

Trying to 100% speedrun will bring up a lot (but not all) of these situations. For an example, there are boring stretches of walking in the first level of The First Encounter in order to get all the secrets. (unless you're doing 100% co-op speedrun). Or in Metropolis, there is a thin wave of kleer skeletons after a huge wave but before reaching the final arena where you just have to sit still and mow down kleer skeletons without any challenge.

Are 100% speedrun attempts good at finding many of these situations that can be hindurance to even those players?

I know it doesn't detect all of these places but would it be a good start?

Last edited by Artman40; 06-17-2017 at 03:51 AM.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:42 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Default Re: If the levels of the main games were made with 100% speedruns in mind...

Personally I think these kinds of areas are good for speedrun optimization. Eg. could you think of any ways to bypass those areas, or multitask on 2 areas at the same time?

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 06-17-2017, 09:32 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Default Re: If the levels of the main games were made with 100% speedruns in mind...

I don't know but if you want to 100% the whole game, you have to do a lot of uneventful walking no matter what. In the First Encounter, the first level and Sacred Yards are some of the examples.