Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 4

Serious Sam 4 The place to talk about Croteam's next title: Serious Sam 4! What do you know? What do you hope to see in the next Sam game?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 04:30 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Default Serious Sam 4 ideas ?

I know that it is way to early to do this, but i had a dream this night about ss4 ! It sounds crazy yes, but it was amazing too.I think that everyone remember the ending of ss2 where sam was left in the mental institution ? In my dream Sam escapes from the pyramid and chases Mental to earth where the final battle takes place and ofcourse there was a final boss ho is not Mental (no surprise) some sort of ugly monster ho is a mix between Zum Zum and Ugh Zan o.O. So i wanted to ask if anyone else is crazy like me to have those kind of dreams OR if you have some ideas about SS4 ?
Old 06-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Default Re: Serious Sam 4 ideas ?

To be really honest, SS4 should be that SS2 remake CT once talked about. Aka SS4 would continue from where TSE ended and ignore the original SS2. However, it would still have a bunch of ideas from both SS1 Alpha and SS2, so like, the planets and Sirius itself would be mix of SS1 Alpha ideas and SS2 concepts. The art style should be more SSHD than SS3 though, same with the humor.

One idea I always liked was that there should be Skins for the Weapons. They would have the same stats, however, the weapons you find would fit the theme of the Planet. Like, on a Jungle planet, the Minigun would look like if it was made from wood and blowpipes. On Sirius, the minigun would be a super hi-tech laser minigun.

Another idea is that they should really adapt the Alternate Ammo from Next Encounter. They would be quite awesome and would make the game a lot more varied.

I also had an idea for a new highest-tier weapon, the Singularity Gun. It would use two regular ammo types: Electricity and Dark Matter Canisters. It would have two firing modes: The normal one (costing Dark Matter) would create a black hole that would be able to suck in a specific amount of small to medium enemies, killing them instantly. After you have some enemies sucked up (them being the third, kind unconventional ammo type), you could pressure them into a ball while holding the right mouse key - kinda like firing the cannon (with the screams of the monsters sounding out from the weapon), and then with creating a white hole, shooting out the compressed enemy cannonball with high speed that would cause even larger damage than the cannon. This secondary fire would cost Dark Matter when firing, and Electricity for compressing. The enemy ball's damage and size would be determined how many sucked up enemies you have compressed together. The gun would be only able to hold 10-15 enemies. It would be a stronger weapon than the Cannon, but harder and more inconvenient to use, so it would balance out imo. It would also use Mines as an alternate ammo, that could be deployed to suck up enemies on the field, and the collected to add to the "Enemy Ammo". In a way, this gun would be very powerful, but would use four kinds of ammo, three that is necessary. This would create the most complex weapon of the series as well. I quite like the idea of "complex weapons".

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
To be really honest, SS4 should be that SS2 remake CT once talked about. Aka SS4 would continue from where TSE ended and ignore the original SS2. However, it would still have a bunch of ideas from both SS1 Alpha and SS2, so like, the planets and Sirius itself would be mix of SS1 Alpha ideas and SS2 concepts. The art style should be more SSHD than SS3 though, same with the humor.

One idea I always liked was that there should be Skins for the Weapons. They would have the same stats, however, the weapons you find would fit the theme of the Planet. Like, on a Jungle planet, the Minigun would look like if it was made from wood and blowpipes. On Sirius, the minigun would be a super hi-tech laser minigun.

Another idea is that they should really adapt the Alternate Ammo from Next Encounter. They would be quite awesome and would make the game a lot more varied.

I also had an idea for a new highest-tier weapon, the Singularity Gun. It would use two regular ammo types: Electricity and Dark Matter Canisters. It would have two firing modes: The normal one (costing Dark Matter) would create a black hole that would be able to suck in a specific amount of small to medium enemies, killing them instantly. After you have some enemies sucked up (them being the third, kind unconventional ammo type), you could pressure them into a ball while holding the right mouse key - kinda like firing the cannon (with the screams of the monsters sounding out from the weapon), and then with creating a white hole, shooting out the compressed enemy cannonball with high speed that would cause even larger damage than the cannon. This secondary fire would cost Dark Matter when firing, and Electricity for compressing. The enemy ball's damage and size would be determined how many sucked up enemies you have compressed together. The gun would be only able to hold 10-15 enemies. It would be a stronger weapon than the Cannon, but harder and more inconvenient to use, so it would balance out imo. It would also use Mines as an alternate ammo, that could be deployed to suck up enemies on the field, and the collected to add to the "Enemy Ammo". In a way, this gun would be very powerful, but would use four kinds of ammo, three that is necessary. This would create the most complex weapon of the series as well. I quite like the idea of "complex weapons".
COPYRIGHT!!!! you are talking about a weapon in unreal 2 !!!!
Old 06-10-2012, 05:09 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Awesome ideas ! Croteam should hire you for the "complex weapons" part (if they ever concider making one). And btw yes both TSE and SS2 ended in a mistery that probably won't even be solved or explained. One of the things i don't like about the game is that the story is really "messy" it always ends when sam is in some sort of trouble or mental escapes again or he flyes to sirius to get him.Im not speaking about BFE i think it was a good prequel, nothing wrong with it!
Old 06-10-2012, 05:16 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Lurker

Only 3 words to say: 1999 Beta HD, that's all my ideas, probably: Serious Sam HD: TLE (The Last Encounter)
Old 06-10-2012, 05:18 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

No Serious Sam 2 remake.

And yeah you're probably crazy for having those dreams.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:39 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finzy View Post
No Serious Sam 2 remake.
We were here a lot before, but I still say what they said. A remake of SS2, that is not like the remakes of SSHD, but a new game that is completely different from SS2, and replaces SS2 in the timeline completely, so SS2 is finally out of the way of the canon, and is part of the SS Xbox -> SS2 continuity line.

This is what I think SS4 will be. A new game that replaces SS2 in the timeline, but a completely new game.

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:44 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Quote:
We were here a lot before, but I still say what they said. A remake of SS2, that is not like the remakes of SSHD, but a new game that is completely different from SS2, and replaces SS2 in the timeline completely, so SS2 is finally out of the way of the canon, and is part of the SS Xbox -> SS2 continuity line.

This is what I think SS4 will be. A new game that replaces SS2 in the timeline, but a completely new game.
Your post reminds me of the movie "Back to the future" for some reason,but yes if they are going to make a remake of ss2 it should be a whole new game with different enemyes and stuff. But how can ss4 replace ss2 in the timeline ?
Old 06-10-2012, 05:22 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

I am not sure that croteam will ever end the game. But as some people say "every good thing has its end". If they make some sort of last encounter it should be something new something that we haven't encountered so far. New areas,new weapons,new sam one-liners(they are needed in a good sam game),new bosses to release (getting tired of the same old Ugh Zan).Thats probably my favourite part of ss2 it had a different boss in every world...
Old 06-10-2012, 05:36 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaarwarian View Post
Why they need to show how sam beat Mental?

I mean there are enough big Battles in the whole Series like Ugh Zan, Mental Institution etc.

Do Developers still thinking "oh there's not enough Blood, Explosions, Atomic Bombs, Kills, Enemies", thats crazy for Storytelling, movies and even books shows us an alternative.
Because mental is the lead enemy here.. okay no final battle with him but they can atleast show his ugly face so we can see if he is big or small..
Old 06-10-2012, 05:54 AM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
ah damnit

Seriously! Secret Agent

My idea would be to make it so that SS4 follows SS2's plot outline, so you could substitute either one into the time period after the end of TSE and it'll still work for a potential SS5.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

I like that! As in both games would end with a showdown in Sirius, both would have Mental fleeing the scene, but for the rest of the game, both would be very different. So basically there would be a SS2_A and a SS2_B aka SS4.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:13 AM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
ah damnit

Seriously! Secret Agent

Quote:
I like that! As in both games would end with a showdown in Sirius, both would have Mental fleeing the scene, but for the rest of the game, both would be very different. So basically there would be a SS2_A and a SS2_B aka SS4.
Exactly.

here's my idea of how it would work:

Scenario: Sam enters Sirius

SS2: Sam uses Kronor's laser cannon to pierce Sirius' shield and slip in, but the rest of the fleet can't get in.

SS4: Sam raids one of Mental's bases on a planet Mental is exterminating to grab an IFF that allows him to access Sirius in his ship. There is no fleet, but some help from the locals (who won't look anything like the SS2 NPCs) while he's getting the IFF.

Scenario: Mental escapes.

SS2: Mental escapes after Sam destroys his fortress' security system and by tricking Sam with a dark room.

SS4: Mental escapes from his fortress in the background while Sam fights Ugh-Zan 1 and 2.

SS5 then starts with Sam using computers in Mental's fortress to see where Mental went to, but the outer design of the fortress is never shown, so you can imagine that it's either Mental Institution or whatever his fortress would look like in SS4.

Last edited by Squadala; 06-10-2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

SS4 will be a SS2 remake
JUST SKILL
Old 06-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Am i the only one who got confused here ? xD
Old 06-10-2012, 07:13 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettinSerious View Post
Am i the only one who got confused here ? xD
Yes.

@Squadala

Awesome ideas! That's how it should be done.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:20 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

No. What you people are suggesting is taking SS2, changing a few things about it, and calling it a brand new game. That will not fly. A new installment in the series (Serious Sam 4) should be exactly that: a new installment.
If there is going to be any kind of remake for SS2, it should have "Serious Sam 2" as the main title, with whatever sub-text to denote that it's a remake.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Read it again. We're saying that SS4 should be a completely new game, just replacing SS2 in the timeline, while still making SS2 somehow relevant. (What is with people not reading things properly on this forum?)

Old 06-10-2012, 07:29 AM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Now i get it ! But there will be a new serious engine 4 right ? Not that i care about graphics in a good game but croteam upgrade them with every new big serious sam title.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:31 AM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Serious Engine 4 is probably the only thing we're most confident about that it will happen, since the engine is in a constant development all the time.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Animals.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais
Read it again. We're saying that SS4 should be a completely new game, just replacing SS2 in the timeline, while still making SS2 somehow relevant.
So taking the story progression and path from SS2 isn't "taking" SS2? I don't care about the gameplay and individual levels in this regard; if SS4 is going to have a redrawn version of SS2's story, while at at the same time replacing it outright, then what the hell does SS2 have left going for it? What purpose would there be for anyone to even bother with the game at that point? It's like, "Oh hey, there's this Serious Sam 2 game, but Serious Sam 4 does everything it does but better in every regard".
Sorry, I don't buy it. Try again.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryason55 View Post
So taking the story progression and path from SS2 isn't "taking" SS2? I don't care about the gameplay and individual levels in this regard; if SS4 is going to have a redrawn version of SS2's story, while at at the same time replacing it outright, then what the hell does SS2 have left going for it? What purpose would there be for anyone to even bother with the game at that point? It's like, "Oh hey, there's this Serious Sam 2 game, but Serious Sam 4 does everything it does but better in every regard".
Sorry, I don't buy it. Try again.
Okay, then I try again. SS4 replaces SS2. SS4 is different in everything than SS2, but the ending, and the fact that it ends on Sirius, just like it should have always been since SS1 Alpha. That's it.

But I kinda see what you say there. In that regards, yes, I kinda think that SS2 shouldn't exist at this point. It is a good game, yes, and it is there, it is released, yes. But it was a forced game, something that might have not been the actual vision of CT. It's their decision if they want that game in the continuity or not. But that continuity is messed up, there's no hiding it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaTony View Post
Serious Sam: The Third Encounter.

Same weapons, enemies and gameplay as TSE, just new settings and levels. Starts just right after The Grand Cathedral. Croteam could use planets from SS1 alpha.
So you want another DLC to SSHD? Gotcha.

Last edited by Solais; 06-10-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

Quote:
So you want another DLC to SSHD? Gotcha.
Dear god, no! I want the full game, at least 10 maps. Also, I don't mind if they will release a version on Serious Engine 1. It still rocks.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:17 AM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Maybe a prequel to Serious Sam BFE. Showing us how Sam became so "Legendary" and what happened during Mentals 3 year conquest. Or, like previously suggested, a sequel including the ammo type system.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

I just wish it's something new and original, I'm tired of endless remakes already. Even SS3 feels like a remake of TFE since it's set in Egypt. We need new ideas and innovation, Croteam can't stick with the same concept forever however awesome it may sound to some hardcore fanboys who don't mind getting the exact same plate with minor changes over and over again.

Going back to more SS1/SS2 esque roots in terms of theme and art style would be awesome though imo, with much more humour and the return of wacky stuff like weird gravity, combo multiplier for more kills you make (NE/Xbox), maybe NPC buddies helping you out (that act as co op players which can be player controlled if the game is co-op), maybe go so far as to implement a Borderlands-style "join on the fly" system where the game can be turned into a co op game at any moment. Less seriousness and more arcade feel is what I'd like to see. Dual-wielding weapons and crazy powerups.

If the game's gonna be a parody it might as well go overboard. I always thought a real "serious-serious" Sam sounds boring, why attempt to be just a clone of Duke Nukem? That's why I think SS2 is awesome, it wasn't afraid to mess with the theme at all. Sam's character also stood out the most in SS2 and had the best lines in it imho. Screw gray-brown photorealism and generic cigar-smoking badass lines that have been heard a thousand times before.

Best version of Serious Sam 4 would be like the InSamnity 2 mod for SS2, no limits on enemy counts or invisible walls to restrict you or anything. Just pure rocketjumping madness with babies with miniguns in bizarre open alien environments. Upgrade the engine to support 10 000 enemies on screen at once. Hell just hire me on the spot, I'll build the best version of Serious Sam 4 possible. It'll be called SS4: The Acid Trip.

Last edited by Finzy; 06-11-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Andromeda

Seriously! Sam Master

Serious Sam 4: The Last Encounter
?

Procyon, alive... and still shining.
Check STM 1.08B for SSSE by Troy and Zeo.
French mapper and modder since 2010.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Fully agree with Ryason there.

Too bored to further discuss this as this topic has already been beaten to death several times.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

May there some realistic things: http://forums.seriouszone.com/showthread.php?t=62054.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finzy View Post
Fully agree with Ryason there.

Too bored to further discuss this as this topic has already been beaten to death several times.
Yes but i made this to tell people about my dream and if someone also had these dreams and then i thought "Oh why not, people are crazy like me they probably have some cool ideas about the future game" i guess that was a bad idea because some of the users here actually don't agree with me that serious sam games have shitty endings and the story is sometimes confusing. BUT then again serious sam isn't meant for story only to shoot aliens and have fun .. And yes i am crazy