Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Game Reviews

Game Reviews Post your game, mod and map reviews here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2004, 10:55 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
SCREAMING N DIGITAL

xxzen is offline Send a message via MSN to xxzen
Default my Doom3 review.......

very nice graphics WHEN you get a glimpse of them with the flashlight, overall (I hate to say) quite mediocre......there's a very good chance Serious Sam2 will out do Doom3..........
Old 09-01-2004, 11:15 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

who are you?
what are you doing?
where are you working?
where are you going?
Old 09-01-2004, 11:16 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
SCREAMING N DIGITAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldog
who are you?
what are you doing?
where are you working?
where are you going?

?
Old 09-01-2004, 11:26 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
ijubnsgrziuh

Agree about the flashlight thing, I was sticking up for Doom with the flashlight thing before I played it but until you play it you don't quite realise the scale of the problem. It's not like you usually need the flashlight, you ALWAYS need the flashlight, there ain't a moment in the game that has sufficient lighting. May be alright at first but after hours straight of it you're just sick and tired.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:43 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
SCREAMING N DIGITAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinnie
Agree about the flashlight thing, I was sticking up for Doom with the flashlight thing before I played it but until you play it you don't quite realise the scale of the problem. It's not like you usually need the flashlight, you ALWAYS need the flashlight, there ain't a moment in the game that has sufficient lighting. May be alright at first but after hours straight of it you're just sick and tired.
I upped the brightness some, which helped, but if keeping everything dark is supposed to make things scary it doesn't, it would be much better to have semi dark areas, corners etc, wtf don't they have 100 watt bulbs in the future, I can be scared with the lights on and bright areas, just suprise the shit out of me, or have something leap out of a dark corner, or sneak up behind me.... hell let me see the scary monster............
Old 09-01-2004, 12:00 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Beware the buttcat

LactosetheIntolerant is offline Send a message via ICQ to LactosetheIntolerant Send a message via MSN to LactosetheIntolerant Send a message via Yahoo to LactosetheIntolerant

i havent had the chance to play it yet, though i want to. at this rate, itll be a year old before i get the chance..

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Old 09-01-2004, 03:13 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Doom 3 is great. Too dark. And spooky.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:21 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
SCREAMING N DIGITAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by one is serious
Doom 3 is great. Too dark. And spooky.
not great
yes dark
not spooky......Undying was spooky.........
Old 09-01-2004, 03:57 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Your ad here.

All the "wow" and "yikes" and "OMG" is gone after the first 2-3 hours of play. After that it's just 15 more hours of the same old crap that isn't scary anymore. Hell and the caverns are a nice change of scenery, but they don't improve the gameplay any.
Virus and antivirus free since 1999.

If at first you don't succeed, you fail.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:44 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
HAMMER!!!

Sledge is offline Send a message via ICQ to Sledge

Someone said bad things about Doom3?

xxzen is a witch! Burn him!

If you weigh the same as a duck, you're made of wood and therefore you're a witch!
Old 09-01-2004, 06:41 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
insert user title..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entroper
All the "wow" and "yikes" and "OMG" is gone after the first 2-3 hours of play. After that it's just 15 more hours of the same old crap that isn't scary anymore. Hell and the caverns are a nice change of scenery, but they don't improve the gameplay any.
I haven't played Doom 3, but I had my suspicions that this was what it was like. Same old thing, just better graphics and new levels. Then again, most games are.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:01 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
The Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxzen
not great
yes dark
not spooky......Undying was spooky.........
Thank god for my multi-button mouse since I had to program one to flip from flashlight to previous weapon. Of course I had to make sure my previous weapon was not the basically worthless pistol. Even then, using the flashlight all the time got really tiresome and the eyestrain for so long is just too much.

The dark is good, but Doom 3 definitely shows that dark alone doesn't make it spooky. The lack of really scary-ass sounds (undying, AVP2, system shock 2) and no music whatsoever. What's with that? Did I miss something, the only music I heard in the entire game was the heavy metal in the opening load up and the closing credits. Wow, that sucked. The music in other games really set the tone of impending disaster.

I still really like the game, but it's not a 10. Whereas with Undying, AVP2 and System Shock 2, I seemed to constantly have goosebumps, I don't think that happened even once with Doom 3.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:12 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  

I was extremely impressed with Doom 3.. which is shocking, if you knew what I thought of it before the release came. I hated the idea of what they were doing with the series... but now, honestly, I wouldn't change a single thing about it even if I could. Yeah, I thought it was that good.. and when I think back to the experience, I think... "Jeez... that was a game... it was so.. awesome." I really can't say much else about it. Just the sounds, the ambience, the good balance between straight forward action and scaring the crap out of you. I really loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor
The dark is good, but Doom 3 definitely shows that dark alone doesn't make it spooky. The lack of really scary-ass sounds (undying, AVP2, system shock 2) and no music whatsoever. What's with that? Did I miss something, the only music I heard in the entire game was the heavy metal in the opening load up and the closing credits. Wow, that sucked. The music in other games really set the tone of impending disaster.
It actually did have the tiniest bit of music during gameplay, and I believe they put it in the perfect spots. The music was just more ambient than most games, softer, and meant to fit the actual surroundings as if it was part of the facility instead of just some music playing in the background. I thought it was well done.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:42 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

Thee Goat Pig is offline Send a message via ICQ to Thee Goat Pig Send a message via AIM to Thee Goat Pig

I'm glad there wasn't any music. It saved me the trouble of turning it off. I'm not saying anymore right now though because I'm tired and I get belligerent when I'm tired...
Yes...God is a sniper.:D - ZEN
Old 09-02-2004, 08:57 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

DooM3 t'is an engine with a free game built in!

I'm really pleased most people agree with the "too dark" comments; I've thought that for awhile - PS I'm only in Delta Labs3, at the blown out bridge part...and I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm stuck! (No spoilers please!). Brilliant heat shimmer effect, though!

I too highly recommend re-mapping flashlight (or torch for us Brits) to the right mouse button. You can then toggle torch / previous weapon in an acceptable fashion. But be warned - after you've accessed a PDA I found the previous weapon is lost. You can then only quickly toggle between the torch and, err, the torch! (until you re-select a weapon, obviously!)

PS Did anyone else enjoy taking on the zombies with just the torch? It may take about 5 pistol shots to take them out, but you can also just finish them off with 2 wacks of the torch!

I've not noticed the lack of music and I find the sounds very atmospheric, although you do soon get accustomed to them.

Worse than to torch for me, though, has been the re-loading. I've expired more times due to my failing to reload than I care to mention...

And an "always run" with shift to walk would have been polite.

BR
JN
Old 09-02-2004, 09:18 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

Thee Goat Pig is offline Send a message via ICQ to Thee Goat Pig Send a message via AIM to Thee Goat Pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN
DooM3 t'is an engine with a free game built in!

I'm really pleased most people agree with the "too dark" comments; I've thought that for awhile - PS I'm only in Delta Labs3, at the blown out bridge part...and I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm stuck! (No spoilers please!). Brilliant heat shimmer effect, though!

BR
JN
There are two places where people get stuck there. One, go in the bathroom (or all other rooms) and see if there is anything to shoot in there. the next door opens when everything in that first area is dead. Two (don't read if the last one helped you), teleport to the bridge. Both very simple and none-spoiler solutions (if you didn't know about the teleporters you would have in just a half-minute because it's in the next room practically, so quiet you )
Yes...God is a sniper.:D - ZEN