Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Game Reviews

Game Reviews Post your game, mod and map reviews here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2003, 10:35 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
HAMMER!!!

Sledge is offline Send a message via ICQ to Sledge
Default GTA Vice City mini review

I've been playing this game non stop since Saturday. It's fairly similar to GTA3, so a) if you hated GTA3 you'll hate Vice City and b) it'll have no replay value after you finish it two or three times. As for a), I can't help that. As for b), I don't care. VC is a sweet game that I can't get enough of. The atmosphere is amazing. Everything just has that right look. Vice City could easily been a set for the ultrahip "Miami Vice" TV show. Sometimes I just want to drive around and deliver pizzas or be a cabbie just to look around. The beautiful scenery is complemented by the catchy sounds. Being a child in the '80's, the music fits right in (for me anyway). In GTA3, I just listened to the talk station as I drove around. In VC, I would rather tune to a music station to listen to the Fixx, Glenn Frey, Michael Jackson, Run DMC, Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, and many others. I am definitely picking up the CD set as soon as I can.

As for gameplay, it's pretty much the same as GTA3 with a small twist. Eventually, you will come face to face with Diaz, the local drug lord. In any other game, after sending him straight to hell courtesy your MP5 or M16 or some other large caliber weapon, the game would be over. In Vice City, the game is only half done. You're now the #1 gangster in Vice City and you have to run things. First off, you are now the proud owner of the late Mr. Diaz's estate. By acquiring his property, you unlock special missions. If you complete all the special missions for a property, the property now starts making money for you (like interest in a bank). Drive around the city and you'll see little neon house icons floating in front of certain buildings. Walk over to them and a window will tell you the price of the property. If you buy it, again you get special missions that you have to complete to start turning a profit. For example: buying the boatyard will require you to pick up some packages left in the water. The cab company is having a few problems with a rival company and you have to take care of it. The ice cream shop is actually a front for a drug operation and you'll have to drive an ice cream truck to distribute the product.

After you buy a certain number of places and cement your control over the city, the real end sequence begins. You were originally sent to Vice City by your boss Sonny who was enjoying the good life in 1980's Liberty City while you were in the slammer for 8 years. He wanted you to begin a nice quiet drug operation. Considering your time in jail plus your huge success, it looks like you'll be keeping your holdings and telling Sonny to scram.

GTAC worth buying? Heck ya.

PS - What is most frustrating are the flying missions. Whether it be flying the seaplane, the helicopter, or the RC copter or biplane, flying is damn hard. I think they need to rethink the flight physics for GTA4.

PPS - If you drive around in a boat long enough, you'll see schools of fish, large sea turtles, and even a great white shark swimming about. Cool.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:21 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Egg
Block faced Pirate

I was worried how'd they'd do flying on PC, on PS2 flying a helicopter is great fun and pretty easy.
Old 05-20-2003, 05:56 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Hooyah!!

Quaar-Jet is offline Send a message via ICQ to Quaar-Jet Send a message via MSN to Quaar-Jet

I dont have problems with the flying, and I love getting around in the Hunter (Apache) Helicopter. Missiles away!! Heh heh.

I agree with everything you say Sledge, as much as I like GTA3, Vice city just improves on a winning formula. I especially like the inclusion of Choppers and Motorbikes, although they could of given us a few more types of bikes (A Ducati-like superbike, two Harley Easy-Riders and a Moped.).
"ACCORDING TO MY CALCULATIONS, WHEN THIS BABY HITS EIGHTY EIGHT MILES PER HOUR..... YOURE GONNA SEE SOME SERIOUS SHIT."
- 'Doc' Emmet Brown - BACK TO THE FUTURE
Old 05-20-2003, 06:50 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

strossos is offline Send a message via AIM to strossos

ill agree it is an awsome game.. was playing it all my awake time saturday and sunday hehe.. but the flighing is pretty easy if u have controlls set up right.
Old 05-20-2003, 08:25 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
HAMMER!!!

Here's what I have:

W & S for up and down
Num9 & Num3 for tilt forward and tilt backward
Num1 & Num2 for rotate left and right

For example, when flying the helicopter, I rise with the W key, then hit the Num9 key to move forward (W key is still held down). The chopper starts a forward dive. If I release the W key, the chopper dives at a steeper rate. What am I doing wrong? How do I maintain level flight?
Old 05-20-2003, 08:37 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

I'm loving VC, too. (got it Friday)
Aren't the bikes just worth the money alone!

And I just reached the RC Chopper last night.
F'ing 'ell...

Need more practice for that one, but I don't know whether I can be bothered...

Flying the GTA3 Dodo is a doddle in comparison!

BR
JN
Old 05-20-2003, 09:59 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Seriousy Scottish

Manicsubsidal is offline Send a message via MSN to Manicsubsidal

I ant got it for PC but i got it for PS2 and yea its a ****ing good game!

flying the plane is annoying but u hardly use it if u don't want too, as for helecopters they kick ass! as well as the bikes!

Also i like the fact ur charater has a name and talks, makes it much more relistic

So over all? ****ing good game!
The next day, on the way back to the garage, I received a call on the hands-free phone from the tracker company. “Your car’s been stolen, sir,” said the man. “I’m sure it hasn’t,” I said, “because I’m in it.”

It is important to understand that the technical beta release does not have the stability of released Microsoft software.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:52 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
The Sparrow

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnN
[B]And I just reached the RC Chopper last night.
F'ing 'ell...

Need more practice for that one, but I don't know whether I can be bothered...
That was a biatch. I finally dug out my joystick and was able to beat the RC mission but not by much. I still couldn't even set up the joystick the way it really needed to be. In addition, before triggering the 7 minute clock I first flew to the building and killed all the guards and hardhats. I'm not sure a person can beat the RC mission with just a keyboard and mouse. If they can, then they are damn good. This is just one area that makes it feel like a just ok conversion from console to pc.

Re graphics:

I'm not sure I understand all the favorable comments about great graphics. It's certainly colorful and vibrant, but great graphics--no way. The graphics are very blocky and outdated compared to much of what we've seen in games the last couple of years and certainly compared to new games on the horizon. Although the cutscenes are entertaining, I find them somewhat painful to watch due to the poor quality of the grpahics.

JMHO

Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 05-20-2003 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-20-2003, 02:30 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Seriously Sinistar

Sinistar is offline Send a message via ICQ to Sinistar Send a message via AIM to Sinistar

Quote:
Originally posted by Flux Capacitor

Re graphics:

I'm not sure I understand all the favorable comments about great graphics. It's certainly colorful and vibrant, but great graphics--no way. The graphics are very blocky and outdated compared to much of what we've seen in games the last couple of years and certainly compared to new games on the horizon. Although the cutscenes are entertaining, I find them somewhat painful to watch due to the poor quality of the grpahics.

JMHO
Yeah, and the animations.. They are pretty good, but I still see some clipping sometimes, and during the cutscenes.. What the hell? It looks like all the characters suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome (their hands/wrists dont move around).. And some of the models are messed up. That drug lord guy - one of the cutscenes (after he shoots the VCR) he sits on the couch and when he's talking you can see the 'inside' of the guy right through where his shirt and pants meet. It's like they screwed up on the physique or something.

The police AI are still annoying - it looks like they didn't improve anything over the last GTA.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:19 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

AverageJoe is offline Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe

the RC chopper is easy as hell to fly on PS2...I've quite good at it.
Old 05-20-2003, 03:32 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

i beat the rc mission on keyboard.. with the w and s for up and down and num pad for moving.. with like 2 minutes to spare.. i guess i got used to it.

the graphics defently dont come close to new games.. after all its a ps2 game really, but the engine is nice... its amazing flying over an entire city without slowdowns and stuff, but my hope is they get some awsome graphics for the next one for the pc version, instead of just higher res than ps2
Old 05-20-2003, 03:51 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

Thee Goat Pig is offline Send a message via ICQ to Thee Goat Pig Send a message via AIM to Thee Goat Pig

I don't care if they didn't improve anything over GTA III. This is techically an expansion pack (like Doom II should have been). The last game was fun enough anyway. who cares if the cops are a bit dopy, or outright stupid at times? That's one of the things that makes the game playable. I love GTA III, and I just started playing Vice City last night but it is fun as well (I need more packages, must find packages).
Yes...God is a sniper.:D - ZEN
Old 05-20-2003, 05:29 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Werebull is offline Send a message via AIM to Werebull

Yeah, the only thing I couldn't get used to was the music since unlike most who play the game, I didn't grow up in the eighties so the music was a bit weird for me.
Otherwise it was an awsome game well worth my money.
Old 05-20-2003, 06:55 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

hell, thats anouther good thing.. just put some mp3s into your mp3 folder for the game and u have ur own radio station!
Old 05-21-2003, 07:17 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Hooyah!!

Quaar-Jet is offline Send a message via ICQ to Quaar-Jet Send a message via MSN to Quaar-Jet

The radio music is really cool. I like V-Rock myself, as I have always said rock reached its peak in the mid 80's.

BTW, Has anyone gotten the Hunter yet??
"ACCORDING TO MY CALCULATIONS, WHEN THIS BABY HITS EIGHTY EIGHT MILES PER HOUR..... YOURE GONNA SEE SOME SERIOUS SHIT."
- 'Doc' Emmet Brown - BACK TO THE FUTURE
Old 05-21-2003, 07:18 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Does not like you.

DR.PUNCH IN THE FACE is offline Send a message via AIM to DR.PUNCH IN THE FACE

KILL.HOOKERS.EXE

-Haiku by Deadpool
Old 05-21-2003, 07:59 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Originally posted by strossos
i beat the rc mission on keyboard.. with the w and s for up and down and num pad for moving.. with like 2 minutes to spare.. i guess i got used to it.
I've like managed 3.5 so far! (and I only have a kbd)
The real boost was finding how to rotate the chopper!

Hmmm, the idea of killing der guards 1st sound good to me!

And I agree with the graphics comments, too, especially after all the HL2, D3 movies around!

For people who've passed the golf-course mission, where you have to drop all yer weapons. I failed it 1st time, but I noticed that the engine didn't take the chainsaw away, must = melee weapon!
So, second time I kept it...easy!

Now I just can't wait to get home and bash that chopper some more...

BR
JN
Old 05-21-2003, 09:16 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Werebull is offline Send a message via AIM to Werebull

Quote:
BTW, Has anyone gotten the Hunter yet??
I got it in the PS2 version if that counts
Old 05-21-2003, 09:43 AM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

Thee Goat Pig is offline Send a message via ICQ to Thee Goat Pig Send a message via AIM to Thee Goat Pig

Quote:
I've like managed 3.5 so far! (and I only have a kbd)
The real boost was finding how to rotate the chopper!

Hmmm, the idea of killing der guards 1st sound good to me!

And I agree with the graphics comments, too, especially after all the HL2, D3 movies around!

For people who've passed the golf-course mission, where you have to drop all yer weapons. I failed it 1st time, but I noticed that the engine didn't take the chainsaw away, must = melee weapon!

Now I just can't wait to get home and bash that chopper some more...

BR
JN
I should have killed the guards in the golf course mission, but I thought ahead the second time and parked a golf cart at the door to block the target from getting away a second time. I had to switch from the chainsaw though, I ran too slow with it.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:42 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
The Sparrow

Quote:

BR
JN
Quote:
Originally posted by Three Goat Pig I should have killed the guards in the golf course mission, but I thought ahead the second time and parked a golf cart at the door to block the target from getting away a second time. I had to switch from the chainsaw though, I ran too slow with it.
Semi Spoiler Alert!!!! The numerous different methods and routes to accomplish the goals are what makes this game so fun and so infuriating at the same time. There is a much easier way to beat the golf course objective. You can take all your weapons in--------just not through the front door. That way you can easily dispatch all the men in black that pounce on you, giving you plenty of time to chase the kingpin who always drives around the course for awhile before heading to the front door. I managed to run the guy into the lake fairly handily.

Go back to the driveway of the golf course and look around. I think you'll spot the way in with all your weapons. Remember, you have a car and you can jump.

Cheers
Old 05-21-2003, 02:34 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
The Exstruck Guy

Spitfire is offline Send a message via ICQ to Spitfire

This game is wicked, started playing it last night and cant get enough of it, the voice acting is amazing and I dont care what anyone says, the animation is incredible, very realistic moving. there is many humorous parts in the game which makes it more fun. this game is a definet improvment over GTA3. driving is way easyer and smoother, the radio stations are pretty cool bring back some old favorites of mine the guy that talks on VRock talked in GTA III for Chatter box, and the voice for the main character in the game is also the voice of the guy from Mafia, this game made me laugh many times and the missions are very fun to do (for once)

disagree with me all you want but I think the graphics are great and the sound is great and gameplay is amazing I would give it a 98% (some clipping problems in animation thats about it)
Check out Exstruck @ Mod DB!
Old 05-21-2003, 03:00 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

AverageJoe is offline Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe

Quote:
Originally posted by Werebull
Yeah, the only thing I couldn't get used to was the music since unlike most who play the game, I didn't grow up in the eighties so the music was a bit weird for me.
Otherwise it was an awsome game well worth my money.
dude, you look thirteen.

My brother, his freind and I don't do any of the missions, we just mess around in the game. Trying to get on top of buildings and stuff. hehe, it's fun.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:07 PM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

Well, you should at least do enough missions to open up the other island, shouldn't you? That's whatI would do if I just wanted to mess around.

And besides, the missions are fun if you get into them.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:14 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Seriously Sinistar

Sinistar is offline Send a message via ICQ to Sinistar Send a message via AIM to Sinistar

Quote:
Originally posted by Thee Goat Pig
And besides, the missions are fun if you get into them.
Well maybe, UNLESS you are forced to play any of the "checkpoint" missions.. ESPECIALLY when driving a boat or a plane. Those missions are really too hard because of the shoddy controls of boats and planes in the game.

They should have removed all those types of missions - they are too frustrating to be any fun and distract from the feel of the game.
Old 05-21-2003, 03:49 PM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
HAMMER!!!

If you want to beat the car racing (after you buy Sunshine Autos), there's a simple "cheat". Go to the Hooker Inn hotel near the airport. There's a rocket launcher in the pool. Get the RL and drive to a race, park away from the glowing pink area and fire the RL at the middle car. BOOM! All three opponent cars are toast and you can easily win the race
Old 05-21-2003, 03:52 PM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Originally posted by Flux Capacitor
I'm not sure a person can beat the RC mission with just a keyboard and mouse. If they can, then they are damn good.
Woot!

I did it, 1st go after I got home from work!
(Edit : err, the RC chopper mission!)

Right, wot's next...

BR
JN
Old 05-21-2003, 04:40 PM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
HAMMER!!!

I also beat the RC helicopter mission with kb and mouse. The one I'm having trouble with is the one where you drop the bombs on the Cuban's boats with the RC biplanes.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:23 PM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Hi All,

Just spotted this:-

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.nicholls/GTA/BigJohn.jpg

Is this an '80's in-joke or is my mind more twisted than I think...

(Kids, ask yer parents!)

BR
JN
Old 05-21-2003, 06:55 PM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Quote:
Originally posted by Sledge
If you want to beat the car racing (after you buy Sunshine Autos), there's a simple "cheat". Go to the Hooker Inn hotel near the airport. There's a rocket launcher in the pool. Get the RL and drive to a race, park away from the glowing pink area and fire the RL at the middle car. BOOM! All three opponent cars are toast and you can easily win the race

ya! although right now im just enjoying winning the races on my own.. its fun! but i loved the RLer for the last taxi asset mission with the evil taxi coming after you!

sledge: that mission cause me some trouble also.. remember that the bombs just drop strait down instead of flying with you,
Old 05-21-2003, 07:13 PM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
HAMMER!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by strossos
sledge: that mission cause me some trouble also.. remember that the bombs just drop strait down instead of flying with you,
Jeezus H. Kryst! And here I am wondering how to arc the bombs down to the target when it turns out they don't even follow the laws of physics. Hehehe.

Thanks.