Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 4

Serious Sam 4 The place to talk about Croteam's next title: Serious Sam 4! What do you know? What do you hope to see in the next Sam game?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #421   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Default Re: Serious Sam 4 ideas ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Well I wonder. I don't think many gamedevs have the same idea as the others, yet teams can still make games. Or there are even massive mods like that. So I think there can be compromises that would lead to a project that everyone can like.
THere's a bit of a different between how game devs work and modders/free-lance really...
Old 04-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #422   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Well, for once, in may game dev studios, it's not like just any member of the team will have any influence on the decision what game the company will make. Especially not in larger studios, at least that's the way i see it.

Also, there has been some large "community" project out there; Serious Sam Forever. Many very talented people worked here, and with talented, i mean people whould could get job in game dev industry. Kristo was one, Aarian was another one, not to mention some programmers.

At the end of the day, i think creative vision is the least of the problems if you want to FINISH mod. That's important thing, but it's (again, imo) not where most mods fail.

Making mod like SSF or even much smaller, require a whole lot of time, someone who can motivate and organize the work, you need good modellers, texturers, programmers, sound artist, animators, level designers, etc.....

Even when you get all those guys, you need to to plan the project really good, set realistic goals, which is big problem, you need to keep the motivation, which imo is by far the biggest problem of all, and so on and so on.

It's my harder then people might think, to actually finish larger mod.

I'd be willing maybe to participate in one such mod, but dunno, would have to think about it.
https://www.artstation.com/artist/zocky
Old 04-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #423   Add To Ignore List  
Just-a chillin'....

For me, I don't find it nearly as amusing to create different variations of an already existing game. I have a set of my own ideas I would like to create one day. But I want to create them. Me. If I am to be a game dev (which is my dream overall), then I don't want to be controlled. I would much rather be free to create what I want.

It is my nightmare to be controlled and create other people's ideas instead of my own. D:

My name is Mongo, and I like Gnaars. And Cookies. Mmmm... Cookies!
Old 04-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #424   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Huh good luck with that.

Look, everything is possible i guess but, you always have to make some sort of compromise.
Even if you want to work on small indie game, REALLY small, you stilll need someone to do the programming and all that, and probably some other guys too. So you already have group of few people, and i can tell you EVERYONE will have some ideas and you will have to make some compromise.

And that's kinda the best case scenario. It's kinda rare that a one man bend actually finishes and ships game. If he does, he's usually both good programmer and atlast someone capable of art, and some other stuff. But sooner or later, i think, you will have to specialize, so dreaming about making your own and ONLY your own game is a tad difficult.

Not saying it's not possible, but you can't even imagen how many times did i see people having awesome ideas and basically looking for a team to finish it for him (even if they initiall wanted to make them all my themselfs)

I'd say start small; it's not impossible, but if you really want to be in game dev, i think it's ok to be a bit more realistic and see what are your capablities, do you even have all the knowledge that is required, if not how to get it, ....i mean, i'd personally start specilize in one area, like programming or art, and join some mod team, or some other team that are working on some game, to gain some experience, and at that point, you will gain some important experience what does it mean to be a game dev, a one-man band, above all.

But, again, start small, don't think you can just jump in and start making games all by yourself.....
https://www.artstation.com/artist/zocky
Old 04-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #425   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Yeaup. Even my own SS game would be most likely a mod of a later SS game (since it's already possible to mod the game quite much), and only after my other projects are done, so there's plenty of stepping stones to go to even consider such a project.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #426   Add To Ignore List  
Just-a chillin'....

@Zocky, I understand that. And I would happily take up a job working at a dev studio. I guess I really just want my own projects to work on that are completely mine, even if they are just side things. I might have been a little over the top above. But thanks. I will need luck.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:39 PM   #427   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Is it possible to make your own SS4 engine ?
Without a team just a single person.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #428   Add To Ignore List  
Just-a chillin'....

What do you mean? Your own game on Croteam's non-existent engine? Well, if they gave you the tools, yes.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #429   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

Duke Nukem should make a guest appearance in SS4
Old 04-29-2013, 01:59 AM   #430   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

I meant a serious engine 4. That would be cool. And hard ...
Old 04-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #431   Add To Ignore List  
Just-a chillin'....

You mean then, could someone make their own engine and name it Serious Engine 4? Well... yeah they could. But it isn't legal. I don't see your point.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #432   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

I know it won't be legal. Maybe not name it serious engine 4.
A knew sam game with a new sam engine not made by croteam.
You get me now ?

PS: Let me give you an example.
Let's say that you didn't like SE3 and you want to re-modle it into SE3.1.
It isn't legal stealing the engine to change it but it is possible ? I don't know why im asking this, but it's been bodering me for some reason lately.
And yes im weird ....

Last edited by GettinSerious; 04-29-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #433   Add To Ignore List  
Just-a chillin'....

Your English isn't helping you at all, either. Not trying to be a dick about it.

Well, if given the proper tools to, yes they could. But Croteam hasn't given out that kind of stuff. But someone could hard code their own engine ground up and make their own Sam game, yes. Not that it would efficient or easy. But possible, yes.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:19 PM   #434   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

If there's one thing I'd like Croteam to do with their new engine, it's let us rocket jump like the Source Engine. Imagine being able to rocket jump like a pro TF2 soldier and slam your sledge hammer right on some unsuspecting Major Biomech's head. Maybe add a power up to the game that makes you invulnerable to your own rockets so you can jump without killing yourself. That would make me so happy!
Old 04-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #435   Add To Ignore List  
Just-a chillin'....

That's not... really an engine feature... :|

Old 04-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #436   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Do you mean it's not a Serious Engine feature or a feature in any game engine? I would've thought that game mechanics and controls tie into the engine, but if it's not obvious I don't know anything about developing games.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #437   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

(Don't care if I'm repeating stuff)

Still totally want to have NPC helpers in the game. Like the...Simbas? From SS2 with the rocket launchers or something. Except maybe more helpful than that with actual useful guns. I liked the mod for SS Classics that gave you Zorg allies. I like allies, they make games more fun. It's like playing online but without the horrendous lag.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #438   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetisLeigh View Post
Do you mean it's not a Serious Engine feature or a feature in any game engine? I would've thought that game mechanics and controls tie into the engine, but if it's not obvious I don't know anything about developing games.
Engine defines fundamental procedures rather than particular gameplay features, which are usually implemented via scripting.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #439   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

I disagree with there being NPC helpers. Sam is a one man army and he doesnt need help. I dont think something like that fits in a Serious Sam game. I would want SS4 to be similar to SS3 expect with more fights with powerful enemies. I mean there was only a few khnums before the final level in ss3. Should have been more. Also more (scifi?)weapons for ss4.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:00 AM   #440   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

NPCs are fine as long as their appearance is limited to getting horribly murdered somewhere in the background.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #441   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

What about SS4 The Squad Encounter: Sam + his 3-4 NPC try to beat Mental.

Or SS4 TFNE, The Film Noir Encounter in Black/White.

Or SS4 Conquering Planets RTS, 3 Fractions the EDF + The Sirians + Mental's Army try to conquer the Universe, the EDF + The Sirians can use Sam as Hero Unit.

SS TLK: An Adventure in which you played as Kamikze your whole Life thru. Plus Tower Defense + 3rd Person Shootings.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #442   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

I've been actually thinking about starting a Serious Sam: The Text Encounter text-based game on this forum, based on the Z-machine rules.

Such Text-based adventure games are very popular on the Touhou forum I've came from.

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #443   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaarwarian View Post
How about a Teleport/Quick Travel system in SS4 like in RPG's?

Also this could be very interesting in CoOP, Example for 3-4 players: At a point of one Map you got endless Enemy Waves to fight and can't reach the End/ or Next Map; somewhere there is a teleport cause a Switch must pe pushed. But wait until 1 player try to do this he's gonna be attacked by 100 enemies, so you better take a 2nd player to protect first player. The rest defend the point where the wave spawned.

Also this could be useful in SP for some Preylike/Portallike puzzles.

Another idea is: Space Battles with Spaceships + some Mech/ Tank parts.

Story idea/suggestions: I wanna know whats going on Earth at the Time of Sams Mission, does the EDF really believe in Sams Sucess, what happens to the dwellers, does the EDF developped Superweapons or declare Sam as dead to the Earth dwellers.
Hmm well there are already portals in serious sam. When you lag behind players a portal spawns so you can catch up instantly in coop. So portals do exist in gameplay. Now about your gameplay suggestions.

I do feel that it could work, but there is room for people to grief other players. I am not sure it would still feel like sam if the party has to disband and reband. It would have to be at least in groups of two.

Space battles would not feel very sammy unless they were like arcade space battles. Then that would work. I feel the same way for mechs.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #444   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

This is a copy-paste from another thread, since it is probably more fitting here.

Quote:
You know, reading this thread got me thinking about an effective way to change up the gameplay without completely changing the enemy types and weapon arsenal. Make the enemies be more than simple hitbox enemies. Have each enemy have various body specific effects that happen based on where you aim your shots. Some examples:
* Shoot a cannon or rocket at a biomechanoid's leg to completely take that leg out for a quick incapacitation.
* Aim bullets at a werebull's eyes to blind him, causing him to go on a mindless berserk all around the battlefield and taking out other enemies.
* Shoot the arms off the Scorpions to eliminate the machine gun threats.
* Etc

I just think it would be cool to have enemies be in different "phases" for a lack of a better word. Adding the extra strategy of aiming for different areas on an enemy to adjust the pacing on the battlefield.

It would also be cool to have more enemies that have different strengths/weaknesses to make them more than just bullet sponges. They did a little bit of this in SS3 with the khnum's strong resistance to traditional bullets. But it would be cool to take things a step further. A few ideas:
* Give Biomechanoids shields that make them invulnerable most of the time, but there is a short cool-down period after they shoot the rockets that make vulnerable.
* Enemies that are only vulnerable to their own attacks. Like a cyberdemon that has a boomerang projectile that will harm himself if you successfully dodge the projectile.
* An enemy type that gains strength from bloodshed. Therefore you would want to dispatch these enemies as early as possible in the battle or else face the consequences of battling a much more deadly foe.
* I also think the franchise could take a cue from PK and have various enemies interact with each other. Just imagine... Khnums scooping kamikazes off the ground and chucking them across the battlefield at you like grenades. That would be simply badass.

Maybe some of you have already given this some thought or think these are lame, but just something that floated through my mind
Mostly, I just want to see the strategy taken to another level that goes beyond picking the right gun for the enemy and learning how to evade their attacks.

I think there could be a benefit of more interactive environments as well. Allow falling rubble from explosions to cause damage to yourself and enemies. Imagine seeing a huge horde coming after you, so you take out your rocket launcher and shoot at an adjacent wall. The explosion causes debris to fall, taking out half the horde, with a huge dust cloud upon impact. Then as the dust slowly settles you see the rest of the horde emerging from the dust cloud.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #445   Add To Ignore List  
Just-a chillin'....

Yes, this is most definitely something that Croteam should look into. I would love features like this. After you learn an enemy in the current SS games, there is nothing more to it. Just shoot with right weapon, evade projectile/hit, and success will follow. Nothing more. Having more interactive environments & kills would be great fun! I would love to shoot a Gnaar's eye out and then watch it run around aimlessly, wondering where I am. It would be cool, but maybe too complex, that if you make sounds it'll stop and listen and try and find you. You jump, shoot a colt, and the gnaar mumbles and mopes in your general direction trying to find you bumping into items.

Now that would be funny! =3

Old 05-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #446   Add To Ignore List  
Praise the Sun!

Complexity is indeed a problem... But something like environmental-shrapnel would be great, and it makes sense too!

When you blow up a wall, all the flying debris should hurt things around them, especially smaller enemies.

Edit: Actually, what Mongo suggested shouldn't be that hard to pull off...

I guess you would just assign different behavior models to enemies depending if certain "sensory abilities" or body parts are disabled.

You shoot or otherwise disable certain body parts and the enemy behaves differently.

Something like loss of vision leading to the enemy randomly attacking the closest targets shouldn't be that hard to do.

On the other hand, something like having enemies loose limbs and crawl or whatnot to get to you, that needs more animations and just seems more complex...

Last edited by evil_Vasile; 05-06-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #447   Add To Ignore List  
Just-a chillin'....

Yeah. Croteam should make a kick ass AI system with senses & other stuffs. I'd love it. ^_^

Old 05-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #448   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

What plan next ? Croteam tell us some hint...
Old 05-15-2013, 05:49 AM   #449   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Croteam ? Hints ? Say wut ?
Old 05-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #450   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

I have been informed by Alen Ladavac of Croteam to share this exclusive information about SS4:

"Serious Sam 4 will have the unique feature of having monsters and guns to shoot them."