Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 4

Serious Sam 4 The place to talk about Croteam's next title: Serious Sam 4! What do you know? What do you hope to see in the next Sam game?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-22-2017, 03:54 AM   #1771   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Default Re: Serious Sam 4 ideas ?

Where is actually the conflict with weird gravity? Why they dropped it out since SE2?
Old 01-22-2017, 04:07 AM   #1772   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Really? It's not very noticeable (at least I didn't notice it).

EDIT: Is it there for the sunlight too? I see it for things like torches, but I can't see it for the sunlight.

Last edited by CppToast; 01-22-2017 at 04:23 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #1773   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Sam(BG) View Post
Where is actually the conflict with weird gravity? Why they dropped it out since SE2?
Practically everywhere, hence why it would need a complete engine rewrite from scratch.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:45 PM   #1774   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Would weird gravity work with a 3rd party engine? If so, what is stopping CT from using something like Unity? If you look at the Adam demo it can definitely handle a lot of characters on screen at once.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:31 PM   #1775   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Practically everywhere, hence why it would need a complete engine rewrite from scratch.
No, I've asked about conflicts and problems caused by the custom gravity feature in the development process of serious engine, which lead to it's complete removal.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:41 PM   #1776   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Seriously! Archivist/Slave

Yeah, seeing as how SS2 was finally going to feature Sirius, wouldn't Croteam want to finally do things like Gravitality and SphereTorus properly?
Old 01-22-2017, 10:38 PM   #1777   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

I think it would be cool if the music for the final level in Sam 4 was something like 7:53-10:09 in this song.

YouTube Video: Caladan Brood - City of Azure Fire
Old 01-23-2017, 04:15 AM   #1778   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Croteam didn't make their own engine just to switch it out with 3rd party one. For them, Serious Engine is always the best, because they are the most familiar with that, and anything they need, they can add it. The directional gravity is one thing they can't, but that's just because it modifies a fundamental "law" in the engine, gravity, or more like "what's up and what's down", which is one of the very basics that everything is build on.

And no, Gravitality and SphereTorus are just test maps, and they don't want to do them.

There are also a lot of problems with weird gravity in games, including causing motion sickness.

As for the development process of the SE2+ engine, I have no idea how that was. If I'd guess it, it's likely they never even intended to add that feature back, considering it was barely used. But that's just a guess, someone would have to ask Alen or someone else.

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.

Last edited by Solais; 01-23-2017 at 04:18 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:35 AM   #1779   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Thanks, Solais. But then how the feature with climbing works? There were kleer cralwing on the walls in SS3.

And no - "considering it was barely used" is not an argument for future plans because: /example conversation/:
"- Hey, guys, I have cool idea for a level with random gravity and few more zones in other levels!
- Nah, dude, we won't use it because it's barely used before..."
Old 01-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #1780   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

That's a predefined sequence: monster's model follows path markers set by level designers while playing "crawling" animation, after markers ended it switches to regular mode.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:42 PM   #1781   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Oh, I see, actually there is no change in the way the game sees the enemy as top-down position. The invisible mesch/collision or whatever actually stays in normal position and moves in such.

Thanks, NSkuber!
Old 02-04-2017, 02:22 PM   #1782   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Thought of something else that could be in Serious Sam 4.

If you finish a part where you "defeat" the boss, it shows a cut-scene were that boss has a transformation sequence, and then you'll have to fight it even more until it really dies.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #1783   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

So, basically, just like Cyberdemon in the recent Doom?
Old 02-05-2017, 09:55 AM   #1784   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Maybe, but much more unique in some way.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:15 PM   #1785   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

I dunno, I think the Cyberdemon fight was amazing, especially the way it "resurrected" and also warped us to Hell, it was done soooo good! Imo, it was the best part of the game.

And I personally was always fan of multi-phase boss fights (not just a fan though; multi-phase boss fights are actually considered very good boss design in general), as seen in SS3 Extended, and if I will have any influence over a future SS game, they will certainly have phases.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:20 AM   #1786   Add To Ignore List  
#AltFurry

Valerie Valens is offline Send a message via AIM to Valerie Valens

What I'd like to see in SS4 are more weapons, quicker escalation of arms and waves, and more varied locales. Oh...and better melee, a la DooM or Shadow Warrior 2013
Old 02-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #1787   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

I prefer FE weapon progress insted of SE.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #1788   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

What are the differences between FE & SE? I say there are none inside the gameplay.

And thats my botton line.

Last edited by Gnaarwarian; 02-06-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 02:57 PM   #1789   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

If you avoid secret weapons in FE you'll get second colt and single shotgun of first level and the next non-secret weapon comes in the third level. Yes, first two levels in FE are shorter than the later levels or those in SE. But in SE you grab like... 6 weapons with devastating firepower on the first level. That's a "gameplay broke" thing for me. It makes the game easier.

If I had to edit Sierra de Chiapas I would leave only the chainsaw, second colt and single shotgun, and the player won't collect all the weapons in single world.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:43 PM   #1790   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Not just that. The progression of arms in TFE follows the same progression as they are in your inventory, most of the time.

First you get a second colt. Then single shotgun at the end of Hatshepsut, then double shotgun in Tomb of Ramses. There's a jump as you get the RL first in Valley of Kings, but you quickly get the tommy gun on the same level. The GL on Oasis, then another jump, laser in Dunes. You get Minigun in Metropolis, then Cannon in Alley of Sphinxes. There's a proper build up in power.

In TSE, you get second colt, then chainsaw. Then single shotgun, that's okay so far. Then suddenly sniper rifle. Wtf. And then flamethrower... after that you get the double shotgun, that's already even more useless as usual, because you already got the flamethrower, THEN a rocket launcher. That's the first level. You get the GL on the second level. And then you don't get the Tommygun UNTIL City of the Gods, and you get the Minigun on the same level. And also the cannon, because why not. And the same repeats in every episode. For some reason, the tommygun is gated very weirdly in TSE, while the sniper and the flamer is given always at the very start of an episode. It's one of the few things I really don't like in TSE.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:52 PM   #1791   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Well, you gotta give the player their newest toys first.

Speaking about progression, I hope SS4 doesn't do the enemy progression like in TSE. Yes, fighting that wave of Gnaars was what makes TSE's first level great in the beginning, but imo Rocketeers should always be the first enemy the player fights. TSE was terrible in this as Zorgs pretty much replaced Rocketeers and Firecrackers. I was afraid that SS3 was going to do this with the Cloned Troopers, but even I was surprised that Rocketeers remain a formidable force from the beginning until the end. SS4 should up the Rocketeer ante!
Old 02-06-2017, 10:47 PM   #1792   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

Well, technically speaking, TSE is kind of a sequel/kind of an expansion pack, and it was expected that the person who's playing it has had experience with TFE to begin with. That's not exactly a defense for TSE's weapon progression, but I can understand why they would do it in the first place.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:30 AM   #1793   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Vehicles are probably not in Serious Sam 4 and the game is probably too late in development to add them even if Croteam wanted to, but I want to know what all y'all honestly think, do you think Serious Sam should give vehicles a second chance? They definitely did not work in SS2, but I honestly believe they could be implemented properly if Croteam really tried. Speaking of SS2, is the reboot even going to have vehicles?
Old 02-07-2017, 04:24 AM   #1794   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

@Solais
I figured all things you've mentoined. It will be much better if:
1. In the first world you take /as non-secret weapons/ - the chainsaw, the sniper, the two shotguns, tommygun and rocket launcher. Then at the start of the second world you are losing all of them, but in the very first level you can restore your arsenal and from the next level the progress can continue with minigun, lasergun, grenade launcher, flamethrower. And the cannon can be part only for the final world (except for a secret weapon, of course). Like this the game will be much more fun imo.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:56 AM   #1795   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Or you can do the NE/SotN approach: give the players all the good shit and loads new enemies (and Rocketeers) to kill on the first level, then strip em away at the end so the player has to earn them again.

Also, please don't pull off another Lost Temples of Nubia again
Old 02-07-2017, 05:00 AM   #1796   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Nah, the cannon is needed on many levels of the first and second episode of TSE.

As for vehicles, I think they can work, but they need to be useful; there have to be special situations where the vehicles are either needed to progress or provide some sort of unique gameplay. For instance, ground vehicles could be used to travel large distances fast, or providing some sort of different gameplay against overwhelming odds. There could be boats or jet-skis or similar used on levels with a lot of water, where swimming is either too dangerous or too slow. There could be helicopters on levels where you can't progress further on foot. Vehicles would work best in such situations.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:00 AM   #1797   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

That's the most beutiful level in SS3, where is the problem /except is too opened backwards/
Old 02-07-2017, 05:22 AM   #1798   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

The problem is that in SS3 you only complete your arsenal late in the game, only to have it all taken away in the third-last level. At least Alley of the Sphinxes did it in the mid-game point and ammunition is plenty for all weapons afterwards. In SS3, you lose the Cannon in Lost Temple of Nubia and won't get it again until Guardian of Time, with very little ammo too.

I think the main problem is the lack of the Serious Backpack powerup, so Minigun and Cannon (when they're available) can only be used in a short amount of time before finishing up their ammo supply. Where's the fun in that?
Old 02-07-2017, 07:18 AM   #1799   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Never felt such a thing.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:00 PM   #1800   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

So SE weapon progress is bad cause it gives you more freedom.
Why is this a bad choice for a 2nd game of series i do not understand it. Bullshit logic.

Thats my conclusion.

Last edited by Gnaarwarian; 02-07-2017 at 01:02 PM.