Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 4

Serious Sam 4 The place to talk about Croteam's next title: Serious Sam 4! What do you know? What do you hope to see in the next Sam game?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-07-2017, 04:00 PM   #1801   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Default Re: Serious Sam 4 ideas ?

I understand why Croteam went with taking all the weapons again after every episode, and it gives some funny combinations, but it destroys a lot of the feeling of progression and it's in my opinion one of the weakest aspects of TSE.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 02-07-2017, 11:10 PM   #1802   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

1. I think vehicles would be really great for SS4.

In multiplayer.

Single player, ehhhhh... I know that I personally hate having to rely on vehicles to get past a level or a specific part of it. Because then if the vehicle blows up or gets damaged too much, too bad. Have fun starting ALL OVER. Crysis is notorious for this in its stupid-ass tank levels. Only Halo: CE was the one game that didn't have this problem what with the adamantium warthogs. Furthermore, if there are vehicle combat sections, I don't like having my ENTIRE Serious Sam arsenal roped off and being forced to use some singular vehicle weapon to get by.

2. Weapon progression is indeed nice, but I think the bigger problem wasn't necessarily placement of weapons but the power of each. Each weapon should be a force unto itself, doing very well in handling certain situations, but not doing so good or even becoming downright useless in others. That way, it doesn't matter what order you receive the weapons. It only matters in how you use them.

"It ain't the size that matters; it's how you use it."
- Serious Sam

Except for the Cannon. Keep that crap overpowered as fuck.

3. Serious Sam 3's problem with its weapons was definitely with its poor ammo distribution, putting weapon balance aside for a moment. The progression was fine, but where it failed was that a lot of weapons didn't have enough ammo for them in the game whatsoever. Unless you're really good at secrets, be prepared to never use the Sniper or the Laser. And even with JotN, they capped the sniper ammo capacity at 20. Whyyyyy?

My Charizard was banned in the Geneva Conventions.

Last edited by Artificial; 02-07-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:36 AM   #1803   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAngus View Post
Vehicles are probably not in Serious Sam 4 and the game is probably too late in development to add them even if Croteam wanted to, but I want to know what all y'all honestly think, do you think Serious Sam should give vehicles a second chance? They definitely did not work in SS2, but I honestly believe they could be implemented properly if Croteam really tried. Speaking of SS2, is the reboot even going to have vehicles?
I think I also said a couple of hundreds posts before that vehicles in SS4 would be a good idea, but only with a really good goal and proper technical realisation, because I'm personally negatively biased towards current Serious Engine's physics, it's really bad and buggy, and any vehicle with bad physics and horrid controls would be a big mistake, thus it's better to leave that idea rather than trying to implement it.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:03 PM   #1804   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Serious Sam 4 needs a co-op vehicle badly. Like a Warthog.

It needs something to truly set it apart like Shadow Warrior has done. SS2 and SS:TNE had the right idea but expand on it. Make it *better*
Old 02-08-2017, 04:26 PM   #1805   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Serious Sam 4 also needs to go back to Classic/HD style of multiplayer: Give the player ridiculous speed and jump height again (maybe add a mutator or something for Sam3-style movement for those that want it) and design the maps around that, allowing crazy jumps and evasion.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #1806   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

And NO VEHICLES.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:12 PM   #1807   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

I liked the above average jump height. Even if in 3rd person view, the player jumped, even if Sam's feet were at least 1 metre (even 2 metres) below the top of the platform he automatically grapples onto it which seems strange as he just teleported onto the ledge, but I did like that kind of jump height
Old 02-09-2017, 04:12 AM   #1808   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Actually, versus with vehicles would be cool, like in UT04.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 02-09-2017, 04:25 AM   #1809   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Seriously! Archivist/Slave

Yeah, I agree. One other thing CT could take a page from UT2k4 is bots
Old 02-09-2017, 09:49 AM   #1810   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

It should have both Vehicle CTF as well as Vehicle King of the Hill
Old 02-09-2017, 12:04 PM   #1811   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Vehicles in multiplayer is the only reason I like Halo's Online MP.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #1812   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

UT3 player mostly here, but yea - vehicles in Versus are something amazing, especially if designed good...

I remember that DM map with all these half-destroyed building and a big vehicle spawning. If used right, it gave really cool advantage, but for advanced players, destroying one huge machine from good position in half-destroyed building wasn't such a problem. The conclusion for me is that the vehicle did add something original to the gameplay by the only this map for me itself, as it was turning simple DM into some sort of War-like partisans vs tanks fight, but it still didn't ruin the balance that much.

Last edited by dragon99919; 02-12-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:13 AM   #1813   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Another reason I only like it (another being that i suck at the deathmatch maps) is because it's design and gameplay is great and that it's actually quite fun playing with friends as well (like not on live) but together when we catch up..
Old 02-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #1814   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

What about the return of NPC allies? Like in SS2, except it's EDF troopers this time.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:08 AM   #1815   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

I would love that, as long as it's an option. I had great times fighting alongside marines and ODSTs in the Halo series, because they're pretty competent (post Halo 1) and have funny banter.

Old 02-17-2017, 02:02 PM   #1816   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

I didn't really like NPCs in SS2 because they were annoying as hell imo. Nevertheless, I don't mind NPCs at all if they are used in some rare occasions or don't mess up the gameplay too much. I think the best working choice for SS style would be either "decoration" NPCs, used either in cut-scenes or in some peaceful moments where nothing really happens, OR the ones akin to simba's hovercrafts in SS2, throwing you some supplies during the fight from the air, i.e. helicopter pilots like Hellfire. Also, another working idea would be turret shooters, helping you to kill the enemies in some area — basically, the same minigun turret as in SS3, but more powerful and probably interactive.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:01 PM   #1817   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

What about portable/deployable turrets? I actually think it would be great to add an extra level of strategy for the more precarious battles.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:41 AM   #1818   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

Yes to vehicles & NPCs, but No to BOts and any other idea which ios more then 10 years old.

Year 2004 is gone, Bots are old dusty outdated Crap. And thats good.

We need new ideas inside FPS games lie Failure of Missions, really Anti War moments inside gameplay not only cutscenes , Cutscenes which tells about Failure, No more cheap Button Smash/Quicktime Event crap, less scripts.

Ideas of UT3 are old outdated crap of 2007 No to them.

And ofc NO to all FPS ideas out of 90ties P-Com.

We need someone which tells Sams story forwards, No Prequel shit.

No to Doom (2016) melee with second long animations after pressing 1 button.

And weapon progress in SE was good, i was not proofed wrong.

Last edited by Gnaarwarian; 02-18-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:43 PM   #1819   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Isn't anti war stuff pretty outdated too?
Old 02-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #1820   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
What about portable/deployable turrets? I actually think it would be great to add an extra level of strategy for the more precarious battles.
Wayyy ahead of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://forums.seriouszone.com/showthread.php?t=66495
H. Minigun (BFE Model is preferred by the author.) - Primary Fire: Fires very damaging bullets at a very high rate of fire. No reloading. In true SS fashion, it will tear through many many enemies like no other.
Secondary Fire: Deploys the Minigun as an auto-targeting stationary turret. Uses the ammo you have to fire. Works just like the turrets in BFE. Any enemy that wanders into its range will be immediately locked onto and fired upon until dead. Locks onto aerial enemies too but only if they get into its firing range. Enemies may be able to disable it and it will also, of course, stop firing once it runs out of ammo, but it will always be retrievable and, once retrieved, able to be redeployed immediately, assuming you have ammo for it to use again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaarwarian View Post
Yes to vehicles & NPCs, but No to BOts and any other idea which ios more then 10 years old.

Year 2004 is gone, Bots are old dusty outdated Crap. And thats good.

We need new ideas inside FPS games lie Failure of Missions, really Anti War moments inside gameplay not only cutscenes , Cutscenes which tells about Failure, No more cheap Button Smash/Quicktime Event crap, less scripts.

Ideas of UT3 are old outdated crap of 2007 No to them.

And ofc NO to all FPS ideas out of 90ties P-Com.

We need someone which tells Sams story forwards, No Prequel shit.

No to Doom (2016) melee with second long animations after pressing 1 button.

And weapon progress in SE was good, i was not proofed wrong.
Well, you know, we should just remove weapons altogether because, you know, Doom 95 had weapons. We don't wanna do any 90's stuff anymore, do we. You know what, let's also remove verticality/stairs. That's OLD. We don't need that anymore. Just flat plains everywhere. 90's are done, mang.

Old 02-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #1821   Add To Ignore List  
Forever Fancy

Vehicles in games are usually often very shit. Halo balanced them pretty well, I thought. If a player on foot can't deal with a player in a vehicle, it's bad balance. In Halo you can kill the driver/gunner or blowup the vehicle with grenades. The maps weren't hella massive, either.

I thought vehicles in UT were pretty shit, as just ADDING a vehicle to a map meant the map had to be large in size, which in turn makes traversing a map on foot feel like shit.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:05 PM   #1822   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial View Post
Wayyy ahead of you.

Well, you know, we should just remove weapons altogether because, you know, Doom 95 had weapons. We don't wanna do any 90's stuff anymore, do we. You know what, let's also remove verticality/stairs. That's OLD. We don't need that anymore. Just flat plains everywhere. 90's are done, mang.
Nice try, noone cares about Doom 95 port from MS anymore , ZDoom was always there since 1998.

But yes weapons in HL1, Unreal 1 & Quake 1 feels like shit for me.

So you failed.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:37 PM   #1823   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial View Post
We don't wanna do any 90's stuff anymore, do we. You know what, let's also remove verticality/stairs. That's OLD. We don't need that anymore. Just flat plains everywhere. 90's are done, mang.
Serious Sam 3 is also waaayy ahead of you on that one.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:11 PM   #1824   Add To Ignore List  
Just-a chillin'....

Versus bots would kinda fun if they were done right, depending on the style of versus and gameplay aspects SS4 will hold. TSE HD is the only one with decent versus imo, which is fine I guess, more focus given elsewhere. I look forward to the experience that is the next iteration of Serious Sam. I hope the enemy roster is far improved. Bring all the critters in

My name is Mongo, and I like Gnaars. And Cookies. Mmmm... Cookies!
Old 02-19-2017, 03:40 PM   #1825   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterEvilAce View Post
I thought vehicles in UT were pretty shit, as just ADDING a vehicle to a map meant the map had to be large in size, which in turn makes traversing a map on foot feel like shit.
Well, UT3 actually solved this rather nicely with the Hoverboard. Everyone had it but of course, it had 0 weapons and you could get knocked off of it really easily by another enemy. It was purely to get you from A to B if there were no vehicles and/or you simply didn't want one. I think you could also do tricks with it too...

Also, obligatory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuNrjeHJk-w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Serious Sam 3 is also waaayy ahead of you on that one.
http://i.imgur.com/mrF2x8g.gif

Last edited by Artificial; 02-19-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:41 PM   #1826   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

EDIT: Double post. Sorry.

Last edited by Artificial; 02-19-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:46 PM   #1827   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Smile Serious Sam 4 ideas ?

I agree with Gnaar about the "NO MORE PREQUELS" thing.

By the way, I had yet another really great idea: Maybe like the Pyramid of Giza in TFE, the Colosseum (possible SS4 location) would be modified by Mental to make it a semi-futuristic arena. Even better, like TNE, he would fight a boss there: either a giant monster of some sort, or a mecha like the Sirian Darklord, but better.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:45 PM   #1828   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

SS4 is already confirmed to be a prequel so...
Old 02-19-2017, 09:07 PM   #1829   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Quote:
SS4 is already confirmed to be a prequel so...
I know, dude. I know.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:25 AM   #1830   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Okay.