Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam Classic

Serious Sam Classic Discuss anything and everything relating to Serious Sam Classic and its 2 parts; The First Encounter and The Second Encounter.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2002, 08:05 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Spy Killah

Seriously! Reaper

Default PCG's Review

Wow, what a wonderful reviewer PCG had to review SS:SE. He goes on for a whole 5 paragraphs on how Croteam was smokin the doobie while making the game, not even getting into graphics, sound, environment, and fun factor. He barely touched on the fact that the AI isn't anything special, but left out the bit saying its not supposed to be, because there's tons of baddies. I think the reviewer is on a lot mroe drugs than Croteam is.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:18 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Universal Remonster

What was the percentage they gave it?
Old 03-12-2002, 09:07 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Spy Killah

Seriously! Reaper

82%
Old 03-12-2002, 10:43 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Voice of Sam

Yeah, I dumped my subscription to PCGamer after their review of The First Encounter. The just don't seem to be in touch with my gaming preferences anymore. Their review of Sam was just the straw that broke the camel's back.
Old 03-13-2002, 12:34 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Jwh
Albino Cyclops

Jwh is offline Send a message via AIM to Jwh

I decided years ago that game mags can't be trusted to review fairly 100% of the time, but you can usually sort out the truth...the way I do it is:

- View multiple reviews and analyze the general buzz of the game - always use more than one for your final decision, and take into consideration the whole package. I value editing tools much higher than a lot of reviewers, for example.

- Change what is said about the game into what you might think while playing it. If your own thoughts seem disjunct from the reviewer's, you either game differently or the reviewer is a liar.

- Direct any blatant insults that were hurled towards the covered game at the reviewer instead, because insulting the game shows the reviewer's lack of talent/inability to come up with something better to say. While cheap, poorly produced and buggy games may not be worth the reviewer's time, conveying the actual experience is the best way to show that.
Old 03-13-2002, 04:41 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
untitled.

Hollywood is offline Send a message via MSN to Hollywood

i don't read game reviews, too much bias in them. not to mention the amount of bought reviews

all i do is look at fileplanet and such once a month to see all the demo's released. download ones that interest me. play them, after all thats the only review that counts. i also look around eb and all my local places, and the video store.

ign insider was the straw that broke my back.

ign = teh evial
Old 03-13-2002, 05:16 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  

I hate most reviewers...they are such idiots....it's like they are buying Serious Sam and they give it a bad score, and their reason is:

"What is this? This game has no cars. No racing. Lots of violence. This isn't even a game!"

and then they buy a racing game and say:

"What the frick? Why are there so many cars in this? It gets a bad grade because the cars. There shouldn't be cars in racing games. No. There should be violence and guns! That's what racing games are all about. Cars belong in FPS's"

IDIOTS!
Old 03-13-2002, 06:51 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Jojo z Monkey is offline Send a message via ICQ to Jojo z Monkey

I dont get it,what's the problem here? 82% is a score that PC Gamer gives to exelent games,only games that are real good get above 90%,and while SS2 is fun it isn't really original or something that's gona blow people away .If you look back in many of your older PC Gamer magazines you'll notice that they gave many exelent games scores in 80s (some examples: None lives forever,Solders of Fortune,Theif II,BG 2 Throne of Bhall,etc) those are just few I can think of now.Anyhow my point is that 80s are give to exelent games and if you remember None Lives Forever got their Action game of the year award in 2000 and it had a score of 85% ( I could be slightly wrong about the score).
Old 03-13-2002, 07:37 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Voice of Sam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jojo z Monkey
I dont get it,what's the problem here? 82% is a score that PC Gamer gives to exelent games,only games that are real good get above 90%,and while SS2 is fun it isn't really original or something that's gona blow people away .If you look back in many of your older PC Gamer magazines you'll notice that they gave many exelent games scores in 80s (some examples: None lives forever,Solders of Fortune,Theif II,BG 2 Throne of Bhall,etc) those are just few I can think of now.Anyhow my point is that 80s are give to exelent games and if you remember None Lives Forever got their Action game of the year award in 2000 and it had a score of 85% ( I could be slightly wrong about the score).
It was the text of the review that is the problem. The guy just seems to miss the whole concept of a game that 'isn't' a realistic shooter. He keeps going on about how Croteam must have been on drugs with some of their design decisions. He goes through and lists a bunch of secrets and funny little wacked out stuff that you'll find in the game, but doesn't talk much about the engine features or the gameplay itself. He seems to justify the 82% by it's low price towards the end of the review.

When I heard that the game was reviewed, I went out to the newsstand to pick up a copy. Had to see for myself what PC Gamer has to say about our little game. Their writing has gotten worse than I remember.

Interestingly, earlier in the same issue is a preview of Duke Nukem - Manhattan Project. And I quote:

"This may be the game to bring respectability back to budgetware."

WTF! In the same issue that they give a budget title an 82%, they have a preview of a game that will bring 'respectability' to budgetware? If an 82% isn't respectable, then what is? And Sam has done this not once, but twice.

It's like PC Gamer would rather ignore the fact that Sam is out there. No mention of him on the cover, not even in small text at the bottom. And they sure took the time to list games on the cover that got lower review scores than SS:SE.
Old 03-13-2002, 07:52 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Better than default

Tessai is offline Send a message via AIM to Tessai Send a message via Yahoo to Tessai

It's because Sam isn't much of a big name. They have to advertise "Hey, we reviewd this game everyone wants to play, so buy our magazine." Also, their demo disc advertises an "exclusive demo" of DoD 2.0, while the disc contains the full mod and a demo of the Sidrial q3 mod. Besides that, both "exclusives" have been available for at least a month from multiple places for download.

Also, I've lost respect to them because they seem to only notice a game with hype. They claimed Max Payne was worth the $50 price (I have yet to find one game worth $50) for 17 hours of gameplay. I think not. Max Payne goes on to get their best graphics of the year award. Did I miss something? The game advertises that it uses photoskins on everything. In my experience, photoskinned models just look.. bad. Wheres the talent? Anyone can take a few snapshots with a digital camera. Ghost Recon gets game of the year. I couldn't stand the demo! It was so slow, in both gameplay and frames per second.

Can't wait for quake4, where they make the same guns with different models and prettier effects. That will get game of the year, I bet.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:04 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Voice of Sam

Anybody here know what the U.K. version of PCGamer had to say about Sam? They gave the first encounter a well written review. I was wondering if they were still writing reviews intelligently.

I should really subscribe to PCGamer UK. On that side of the pond, they still have a good command of the English language with their game reviews.
Old 03-13-2002, 08:52 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Spy Killah

Seriously! Reaper

I respect PCG UK..the only thing I know of them doing is giving C&C: Renegade low marks, deservingly. PCG US, on the other hand, said the "attention to detail [in Renegade] is obsessive." What are the reviewers smoking?
Old 03-13-2002, 09:34 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Universal Remonster

Booger you should send a letter to them, not only that but tell them you are the voice of Sam and such and include a voice sample so they believe you. They'll get a kick out of that
Old 03-14-2002, 01:46 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

my 2 cents.

game magazines are useless for everything cept pictures. they are supposed to be advertising games, writing strategy guides, give hints tricks cheats whatever, not writing opinionated reviews on them.

90% of all reviewers do not know how to review games properly or they are influenced somehow to write bad reviews.

the other 10% are just opinionated and down anything that isnt their favorite.

100% of reviewers should be shot. just let everyone play the damn game for themselves.

if you must have rating systems for games they should be user rated not reviewer rated.
Old 03-14-2002, 01:51 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Not to mention the fact that by the time the magazine hits the stands, the info in it is way out of date. That was the main reason I dumped my PCG subscription -- didn't see the sense in paying for reviews, articles and stuff I had already seen half a dozen times in various formats around the web.

My total inability to get in contact with an intelligent human being, back when I was having difficulties with issues not being delivered, or being delivered without the CD, definitely contributed, though. And the fact that the magazine just doesn't seem to be in tune with the stuff I'm interested in any more. Booger was right about that.

Sounds like I'm not missing anything by letting my subscription run out last month. hehe

cheers,
Phil
Old 03-14-2002, 05:07 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
boa
Scrapjack

reviewers in general stink.
When was the last time you bought review hype of the "best mainboard ever" only to get it home and have it be junk?
-or-
Saw a movie the reviewers loved?

That is why I like PC games so much. Most have a demo you can try. I guess the movie preview is supposed to be a "demo" but it sometimes does not work.