Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 4

Serious Sam 4 The place to talk about Croteam's next title: Serious Sam 4! What do you know? What do you hope to see in the next Sam game?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 03:41 AM   #91   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Default Re: Serious Sam 4 ideas ?

Thumbs up for secondary modes inspired by UT or PK. Just imagine laser gun with secondary mode - green electric beam. Or shooting homing missiles like the aludrans... SS 2's autoshotgun have pretty cool design, i think this weapon must return in the series.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:08 AM   #92   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Secondary modes are the secondary fire I'm also proposing, along with the alternate ammo and merging weapons into complex ones with secondary fire. (Though the homing missiles for the RL would be an Alternative Ammo, just like in TNE.)

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:36 AM   #93   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Secondary modes are the secondary fire I'm also proposing, along with the alternate ammo and merging weapons into complex ones with secondary fire. (Though the homing missiles for the RL would be an Alternative Ammo, just like in TNE.)
I'd say secondary ammo + alternate fire is a bit too much complexity. The only way i see that working properly in the heat of battle is if primary fire uses one ammo type and secondary fire uses another. If you have primary and secondary fire, with different ammo types for each, then it's gonna be a giant mess.

I support both ideas (alt fire and ammo), but only to the extent that it actually makes some sense. For instance, if you want a combined flamethrower/icegun, then it needs to have two barrels/muzzles and two ammo containers on it, and two different ammo types too. Unless of course you want to pull some massive scifi mumbojumbo, where you have some fancy tech that can use some unspecified fuel/energy source to produce both. A more natural combination would be something like an AR with an underslung grenade launcher - two ammo types, primary and secondary fire.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #94   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

"Combined flamethrower/icegun"

There's already one, in Next Encounter. It's called the "XOP Gas Gun", that can have Napalm, Liquid Hydrogen and Laughing Gas as ammo. It works because all the ammo are actually different kind of gases, and in the case of Napalm, the "flame" near the front of the gun is actually lit, aka it sets the gas on fire.

And it may or may not become a giant mess, it really needs to be tried to be seen. The most messy one I can think of is the RL/GL combination, with alternate ammo to both halves.

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.

Last edited by Solais; 07-21-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:11 AM   #95   Add To Ignore List  
#AltFurry

Valerie Valens is offline Send a message via AIM to Valerie Valens

In a sentence, Tower-Offense First-Person Shooter RPG. The Assault Mission Pack from Dungeon Defenders is a pretty good example. You have to go around the enemy defenses, and destroy the enemy cores.

Why RPG? Simple, randomized gun/armor/accessory drops. You can have cannons that don't explode for very much, but drill through a lot more enemies, and ones that don't have as much penetration, but has a deadly explosion. Miniguns with different firing rates, and even some with incindiary or explosive bullets. And then you can have Sams with different attributes, Sams that tank up a huge amount of damage, but is slow. Fast Sams that deal a HUGE amount of damage, but die after a few hits. Dexterous Sams that reload shotguns super fast. Berserker Sams that carve up enemies with melee weapons. Or you can have the Sam of all trades, master of none.

Last edited by Valerie Valens; 07-21-2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:31 AM   #96   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Actually, if I manage to do it and have motivation to do it, I have a meta-survival idea where I'd perfect my Scorpion Fort script of tower defense, and I actually planned character classes as well (though because of limitations, the only differences they would have is the starting armor, health and weapons, and maybe a special ability script if I manage to do it.)

Then this tower defense map could have many variations, like one where you're the enemy, or one with two bases and Team-Tower-Deathmatch.

But I don't think people would like the idea, especially if you call it "RPG" because most of them don't even know what that means (hint: Serious Sam is already an RPG, because you play the role of Sam), they just only see the Level Progression and unlockable system of modern shooters.

And to be honest, your idea would only work best as a new multiplayer mode. Which I agree with, SS really needs some very good and unique multiplayer (along with a really long, fun and really satisfying singleplayer) to evolve further.

Last edited by Solais; 07-21-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:50 AM   #97   Add To Ignore List  
#AltFurry

I would be fine with it be a multiplayer mode besides the core game.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #98   Add To Ignore List  
ah damnit

Seriously! Secret Agent

One thing I'd like to see in future games would be changing the basic weapon behavior, even without having to add things like alternate fire. SS3 kept SS1's weapon behavior for the most part, which made things kinda predictable.

Some changes I was thinking of are:

- Make the Double Barrel Shotgun fire more pellets.

- Make Rocket Launcher rockets notably faster. I think this would help justify making rocket ammo more rare, like it is in SS3.

- Remove the Tommy Gun-style weapon and completely replace it with the Laser Gun.

- Allow you to dual wield pistols, but at the expense of not being able to use iron sights.

SS3 was off to a good start thanks to the new weapons, but the old ones were almost still exactly like they were in 2001. A few tweaks to them would help freshen things up.

Last edited by Squadala; 07-21-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:09 AM   #99   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Posting this idea here as well:

For SS4, I think SS1's and SS3's Netricsa's should be merged:

When you first open it, you'd notice that it's the same as the SS1 one, well organized, lots of interesting paragraphs. However, with Enemies and Weapons, you'd notice a little "Details" button. With that, you'd switch to SS3 mode, where you can zoom and rotate the model as you want, and there'd be also highlights you could click on which would zoom there and tell you about that highlight, just like in SS3.

The Strategic and Tactical data would be similar, paragraphs with a pretty screenshot of the place, however when clicked on "Details", both would open a 3D map. It would be similar to the very simple area presentations of SS3, and first, you'd be only able to see a small section of the map you've explored or Nettie scanned. While going around and finding Tactical Datas, the map would fill out, it would be more complete, and it would also have highlight points where you got the Tactical datas (and you could even click on that point to read the Tactical Data) and also a highlight point about the area where you should be going. With this map system, it would be more plausible to make complex, less linear levels as well.

Oh and also Statistics should be there as well.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:46 PM   #100   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

If any weapon comes out I would like to see a 40mm grenade launcher. They have different types, everything from a single shot pistol to belt fed tripod mounted. But the most interesting ones are the rotary (think six gun on steroids) and magazine fed models. The changes would come because of the different ammo types. HE is good for the knuhms and technoplips while fragmentation would be great for crowds. Then there are incendiary rounds for mayhem and gas/smoke. All kinds of options available. It would be a truly owning weapon, but should be slow to reload to help balance.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:49 AM   #101   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Aliens must Die.

Aka, the gameplay from the game "Orcs must die", in SS as a solo and/or coop gamemode. If you don't know the game, it is basically an arcade third person shooter Tower Defense-like game, where you have to defend the "core" (in the game, entrance to the outside world) from waves of enemies, and your "towers" are actually traps, like spike traps, spring traps that launch the enemies into a deadly pit, tar pits, barricades and the like. Since "Orcs must die" is also about shooting a shitload of dudes, imo it would be the best new gamemode for an SS game.

Here's a 1 hour First Impression video of Orcs Must Die 2.

Last edited by Solais; 07-26-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:07 AM   #102   Add To Ignore List  
#AltFurry

I had an idea simillar to that, but with a diablo-like leveling and item system. Random loot will keep the game interesting.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:14 AM   #103   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Dunno about that really, such random drops could annoy the hell out of me, even if I like Diablo-like games, but even in those games, most of the random drops are garbage and I usually only switch weapons like 3-4 times.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:57 AM   #104   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

I have an idea that I think is actually rather brilliant. Serious Sam always had 16 player co-op, but co-op always used single player maps. Don't you think that the co-op is limited by the fact that it's designed around maps that are designed for one player. What if there was a multiplayer map that was so mind-numbingly complex and absolutely monolithic in scale that it required 16 players to complete? I actually got this idea from a dream I just had. Even though I just woke up, I virtually forgot everything about it. As a matter of fact, I don't think it was even SS in the dream, but I do remember it involving the supreme, ultimate, be-all-end-all co-op campaign map. But the one thing I do remember is it's portrayal of co-op that is absolutely epic and grand in scale, and what better game to fulfill this concept than SS? Now, this was a dream, so it ignored the reality of it being impossible to maintain 16 at all times. But if Croteam designed a mega map around a minimum of eight players, I think they could pull it off.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #105   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

I actually had an idea like that before for SS3 for that one project that may or may not have been canceled due to other projects.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #106   Add To Ignore List  
Praise the Sun!

The only thing I really WANT in the next Serious Sam game, is to be able to set individual color saturation settings to entities. Either have an entity use the global settings, or have it use some internal individual setting.

Why would I want such a thing?

Well, you can set your color settings to noir, right? Now think about it, wouldn't it be SO great to be able to set everything BUT the blood to noir, and leave the blood red?

Now add modding/mapping tools to that, and you can have all sorts of awesome "noir + insert dominant color of choice here" levels, Sin City style!
Old 08-01-2012, 01:32 AM   #107   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

id really like ss4 to continue tse as solais has said, also, id really love the green maps like in tse, those were really great maps imo, the valleys and all were pretty adventure packed imo. I want changes of scenery in ss4 unlike ss3 where its just all desert and dry. And bring back the classic weapons!!!!
Old 08-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #108   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

how about they continue to support this game for at least 2 years. release new content every once in a while and keep the price of the game near where its at due to free new content.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:04 AM   #109   Add To Ignore List  
Andromeda

Seriously! Sam Master

New Powers Ups:
- Ammo boost : Multiplies the maximum ammo by 2 over 60 seconds.
- Serious Ammo : Infinite Ammo over 30 seconds.

Procyon, alive... and still shining.
Check STM 1.08B for SSSE by Troy and Zeo.
French mapper and modder since 2010.

Last edited by Rakanishu; 08-01-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #110   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

I want "Raptor" Rail-Crossbow
Old 08-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #111   Add To Ignore List  
ah damnit

Seriously! Secret Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaarwarian View Post
Another Idea for Sound/ Voice: What if we asked for Musicvoiceover (like 'War'-Chant in Fight.ogg in case music or as Voice of Mental) Chris Barnes Singer from Six Feet Under & first 4 Cannibal Corpse LP's. For no knowledge of 'Death Metal' or Growls use Google.
I'm sure getting a singer from a known band is cheap, especially for a small developer like Croteam.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #112   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

CroTeam must contact Torso**** about the soundtrack of the next game!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0zhXQdmnI0
Old 08-03-2012, 05:12 PM   #113   Add To Ignore List  
ah damnit

Seriously! Secret Agent

I think the next SS game should have every chapter written by different fanfiction writers. Like, the first chapter would be written by a yaoi fangirl, the second by some dude trying to copy Frank Miller (badly) by making it gritty, the third one written by a "tragic" writer that makes every character burst into tears for petty shit, the fourth one by some dude obessed with military tech that details every last encounter with technical terms nobody cares about, and so on. It would be cool and would show off the (lack of) talent most fanfiction writers have.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #114   Add To Ignore List  
Whoop-De-Doo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaarwarian View Post
Civil War, third episode after Second Encounter. Endbosses of Episodes: Hitler,Abe Lincoln and Tom Arnold, Duke, Final Fight: all Endbosses of SSeries.
...wat.

I find these ideas terrible. No offense, but this does not sound like a Serious Sam game at all.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #115   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

It would be nice to easily sort the server lists by name or ping.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:00 AM   #116   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

On-topic:
I just farted so ha-a-a-ard...
Old 08-05-2012, 02:40 AM   #117   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

I want to ride on dinosaurs again! Much bigger and meaner ones though...
Old 08-05-2012, 02:44 AM   #118   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

And giant wolves.

Because giant wolves.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:19 AM   #119   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

If we continue with realistic historical settings, here's my suggestions...

Plains of Mongolia with Sam searching for some Genghis Khan's artifact (crown or whatever). Very open and wide with mountains, lots of potential for huge hordes on grassy fields and cool scenery with gers and nomad camps. Could climax in a hidden city built underground within said mountain, using the legend of Kublai-Khan's Xanadu as background for instance. Could feature an episode specific enemy of an animated/mutated Mongolian archer, similar to centaurs in SS2, only more realistic, and if you shoot the horse, the rider can still dismount and be killed (likewise, you could shoot him off the horse too, and the horse would still charge at you like a werebull). Alternatively, the horse and the rider could be "merged" into one like Mental likes to do his experimentations, so both die with each other.

Scandinavian lore and mythology. 'Nuff said. Lapland, lots of wide open tundras and epic scale scenery with fjords, swamps and forests. Doesn't have to have snow and vikings, they can be more original than that, but Norse Gods could be involved. Could have you searching for Sampo, an infinite gold creating machine in Finnish mythology, or Väinämöinen's kantele (sort of an instrument made of pike jaws that had magic properties), or for more popular choices, Thor's hammer etc. Episode specific enemies: lemme think on that, tribal beastmen would seem logical...maybe sort of man/beast combination. Manbearpigs.

Anyway, either of those two choices would seem way more original to me than just basing the next game on Rome or Greek. The less used mythologies tend to have much more potential for interesting settings.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #120   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

The Tommygun i wanna see return in SS4. Or Sharks with Tommyguns as Enemies.

Otherwise Croteam could place Ancient or Historical Cultures on Sirius.

Bigger Dinos as rides for Sam like T-Rex!?

And Hugo from SS2 as Mech Suit in SS4, that would be awesome or as Npc to summon.

Last edited by Gnaarwarian; 08-05-2012 at 07:22 AM.