Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 4

Serious Sam 4 The place to talk about Croteam's next title: Serious Sam 4! What do you know? What do you hope to see in the next Sam game?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-14-2015, 07:04 AM   #151   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Default Re: SS4 new enemy ideas

I liked some of the enemies from the next encounter (like the dumdums) and the Atlantian enemies later on ... I don't think they'll suit SS4 im not sure ..
Old 10-16-2015, 09:16 PM   #152   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

this is the most perfect and unoriginal idea that I have came up with so far
why not have...

nicki minaj as the boss!
Its genius, even more genius than having sexy furries as bosses.
We all hate her, she looks shady enough to deal with mental, and other stuff I can't think of that makes her nicki minaj.

This boss music will make you see why it may fit perfectly with SS4

That Boss Music

Last edited by comrade451; 10-16-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 10-17-2015, 03:48 PM   #153   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

That was the most apocalyptic thing I have ever heard. The oceans are flooding the Earth, volcanoes are incinerating everything with lava, meteors are falling out of the sky and Nikki Minaj in her diabolical form towers over the world while that is playing.

Last edited by LordAngus; 10-18-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 12-12-2015, 04:45 PM   #154   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

What about an enemy that shoots a rectangular projectile that's size of a car but is only slightly faster than a player running? Instead of doing one-time damage, it would drain your health while you're inside the projectile.

I'm sure that this type of enemy can be tested in Serious Sam 3 if someone is good with coding.
Old 12-12-2015, 05:38 PM   #155   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

That Khnum guy or Beast should be able to lift up cars and throw them at the player
Old 12-12-2015, 09:02 PM   #156   Add To Ignore List  
Not a real doctor

What about EMP kamikaze?
After explosion it would disable netricsa for some time so no crosshair, ammo, armor and health info.

Also maybe they could be loaded back in some order.
For example first crosshair, then health, next armor and finally ammo.

+some cool on screen effect like glitches from Talos and netricsa status.
You know: Targeting system..... online etc.

Yeah I have some weird ideas sometimes
Old 12-12-2015, 09:53 PM   #157   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

The EMP explosion would also temporarily render certain weapons useless as well (except your knife and colt..)
Old 12-12-2015, 10:04 PM   #158   Add To Ignore List  
Not a real doctor

Lasergun (obviously ) + minigun maybe?
I don't think that there's more weapons that use electricity
Old 12-13-2015, 06:16 AM   #159   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

I like the idea of the EMP Kamikaze. It should do minimal damage and mess around with your HUD for a while, and maybe instead of disabling weapons, it should warp your view. NETRICSA is implanted into Sam's brain and has access to his retinal input to overlay things, so it'd be cool for NETRICSA to be on the fritz for a few seconds, flashing and warping your screen. This would make it more difficult to aim. But you could go a step further, as NETRICSA is implanted in Sam's brain she could theoretically control everything, so she could hamper Sam's movement, invert the WASD controls, remove jumping or even disable movement altogether. He could even experience auditory hallucinations, the sky's the limit.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 12-13-2015, 07:32 AM   #160   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

Speaking honestly, in my opinion it sounds like the same bullshit as Witch-Brides, reloading and red blurred screen when you're damaged. Useless and not fun at all. Yeah, let's take away controls from the player with our pretentious pseudo-realistic features when he's in the middle of the battle. Jesus Christ, guys... I mean, the concept is cool, but it doesn't fit SS at all. Especially when we already have a usual kamikaze. The only interesting feature here is probably shaking/glitching interface during the direct explosion hit.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:51 AM   #161   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

I was more referring to maybe a second tops, not like the Witch-Brides that will hang your ass around for ten seconds if you get caught from the beginning. But yeah, I get your idea. Still though, Painkiller had wizard enemies with green staves that would slow you down if you got close. It was annoying, but not to the point of frustration because it would slow you down for only a second.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:07 AM   #162   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

I understand you, but still, it feels too far-fetched. Serious Sam is an old-school shooter, and in my opinion, in this kind of games the main difficulty comes from the enemies directly - their behaviour, damage and especially (snce it's Serious Sam) their number.
---
Honestly, I missed zorgs very, very much. I would really like to see 'em again in SS4 instead of those boring soldiers-clones. I mean, wtf is that? Human zombies with guns? Are we playing CoD: Zombies or Serious Sam? Don't we already have headless rocketers?
Now imagine the troops of gorgeous and deadly zorgs lead by their officers. True, elite alien sci-fi warriors holding plasma-guns, each organised by different classes in every squad - gunners, rocketers, melee guys and commanders. They could act as a team, attack the player from different sides, one by one, or collectively, just head-to-head, with some of the features from clones (SS3) and orcs (SS2) - retreat, roll to the side, cover each other or kick player's ass using melee attacks in close combat. This could add two major things that BFE lacked - interesting close combat without the need to search some grey hitscan guys among the grey walls and also add some futuristic, sci-fi theme to the game to emphasize the fact that it's a fucking alien invasion, not a civil war with zombies and animals in the Middle East.

Last edited by FreekNik; 12-13-2015 at 08:18 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:19 AM   #163   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

The problem with Serious Sam 3 is that there's not enough diversity in cannon fodder. You have the rocketeer, kamikaze, hatchling Arachnoid and Anteresian spider, two types of clone soldiers and the Gnaar. That's seven types of weak enemies. Serious Sam 1 has the Marsh Hopper, two types of Gnaars (not including the fly and invisible variations), four types of beheaded soldiers, Harpies and the Electro Fish. That's nine enemy types not counting the variation types. The Second Encounter adds two types of Zorgs. The first level of Serious Sam 3 has the least amount of enemy variation of any Sam game yet. The return of the Zorgs for Sam4 would be great, especially how you described it. But I would prefer they'd have a sound set reminiscent of Serious Sam Classic, and not the generic roars they make in Serious Sam HD.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:24 AM   #164   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

That's what I'm talking about, totally agree with you. Different enemies (actual aliens would be really great, no humans or human-like creatures or wild animals like demons, khnums or spiders) with different classes and roles is what SS3 really failed to deliver. Not to mention the fact that they were all merging together and rarely gathered in large groups.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:32 AM   #165   Add To Ignore List  
Not a real doctor

Well about that EMP kamikaze again.
I agree with FreekNik that taking away control from player may not suit well game that focus mainly on reaction time and skill.
However removing HUD would just be some kind of making game harder for a while, and only if player fails to prevent it.

And now about zorgs

I think that making enemies work together like you described would be excellent feature.
Especially if SS4 will take place in environments familiar to these from ss3 (Cities, small alleyways).
These industrial areas are great to make advenced tactics.
And I totally agree about zorg sounds, HD version was very boring.

Last edited by DrTr1gger; 12-14-2015 at 03:27 AM.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:15 AM   #166   Add To Ignore List  
</3

King of the Cathedral

I think in SS4 should be all enemies from FE and SE, eventually add new from SS3, but there could be too much different enemies.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:15 AM   #167   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
The problem with Serious Sam 3 is that there's not enough diversity in cannon fodder. You have the rocketeer, kamikaze, hatchling Arachnoid and Anteresian spider, two types of clone soldiers and the Gnaar. That's seven types of weak enemies. Serious Sam 1 has the Marsh Hopper, two types of Gnaars (not including the fly and invisible variations), four types of beheaded soldiers, Harpies and the Electro Fish. That's nine enemy types not counting the variation types. The Second Encounter adds two types of Zorgs. The first level of Serious Sam 3 has the least amount of enemy variation of any Sam game yet. The return of the Zorgs for Sam4 would be great, especially how you described it. But I would prefer they'd have a sound set reminiscent of Serious Sam Classic, and not the generic roars they make in Serious Sam HD.
So SS1 (FE & SE) had 9 weaker enemies types.

SS3 has 7 weaker enemie types.

Not enough Canon Fodder.

Your defination of amount is ... , so if SS4 have min. 11 weaker enemies ...?

I'd like to see Zorgs return again.

My point about remaking enemies are most known. So i stop to complaining how you call it.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:33 AM   #168   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaarwarian View Post
So SS1 (FE & SE) had 9 weaker enemies types.

SS3 has 7 weaker enemie types.

Not enough Canon Fodder.

Your defination of amount is ... , so if SS4 have min. 11 weaker enemies ...?

I'd like to see Zorgs return again.

My point about remaking enemies are most known. So i stop to complaining how you call it.
I said there's eleven purely different enemy types, but there's a lot of variation. You have flying/walking Harpies, flying/invisible/invisible flying Gnaars. That's a lot of possible diversity to keep things interesting. Serious Sam 3 had seven small enemy types, but it's also about the diversity actually used. A lot of fights consists of two enemy types at most, and in the whole first level of Serious Sam 3 you only fight Gnaars, Rocketeers and Kamikazes (and a few Kleers) in groups of one or two types. The whole last level consists of huge battles... with three enemy types per battle at most.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:20 AM   #169   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Am I the only one who is OK with the wirch-bride?
Old 12-14-2015, 10:00 AM   #170   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

I wouldn't mind Witches if they had not grabbed Sam's balls and hung him up in the air, blurring all the screen so you can't see shit and shoot it.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:54 AM   #171   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Sam(BG) View Post
Am I the only one who is OK with the wirch-bride?
Yes.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:36 AM   #172   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Actually inserting such a random, unpredictible factor is cool and keep you with sharp eye. So stop bitching "Ouh witches are so OP, please make the game more predictable and easy"
Old 12-15-2015, 10:31 AM   #173   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

Actually there's a big a difference between unpredictable and frustrating enemy.
What you'd expect from unpredictable or random enemy is its complex behaviour, AI. It's when you don't even know when it'll appear again and what it'll do - fight, hide, use attack #1, #2 or #5 or slap your ass and disappear very quickly. Different tactics. Witches, on the other side, do nothing like that, except popping out somewhere around you. Personally, I never found'em op - usually you just have to cover somewhere when they appear so they won't grab you or wait until they activate their magic thingey and shoot. The last one is simply boring, especially in co-op when Witch doesn't even want to attack and just levitate in the air for 10 seconds, than disappears. But it was a gamedesign mistake when you have those hundreds of enemies coming at you at once, and then you have this bitch appearing at the same time - or more than one actually, when you don't even have much time to fight with'em, so you have to choose: painfully and patiently aim to the sky when other enemies will kick your ass, or try to sort out that giant roaring mess, when some of these witches gonna make you fly and you'll beaten by this mess from below. Thank God and Croteam they were not used that much during the large battles, though.
Which sharp eye are you talking about in this case, huh?

Last edited by FreekNik; 12-15-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:35 AM   #174   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

You're touching a real good point. The Serious Sam series shouldn't be about random luck, and it has never been. When you die it's because of your own shameful self, and not because you were completely immobilized by a teleporting enemy. The Witch Bride does a few fundamental things wrong:

• They teleport around randomly, making them hard to spot in a vibrant environment.
  • You are immobilized when they attack you, therefore unable to dodge anything through no fault of your own.
  • While lifted in the air the screen starts showing bright effects making you unable to look around properly and spot the culprit.
  • The sensitivity goes down immensely and the screen starts jerking randomly making you unable to free yourself even if you see the Witch Bride unless you're really lucky.
  • Her attack is really long, you lose control of your character for more than five seconds.
All this combined makes this an incredibly annoying opponent. In a fast paced arcade shooter like Sam you should always be in full control of your character during gameplay (there are properly implemented exceptions that last no longer than a second). If you would only receive damage from the Witch Bride I'd say she'd be a great addition, but the way it is now it's just annoying.

Last edited by Discy; 12-15-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:20 PM   #175   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

Maybe that is the the funny about Witch Bride, CT thought: A not typical SS enemy.

Lets put it into SS3 to annoy people a little bit.

Hasn't SS2 a little Chaos & Anarchy too!?
Old 12-15-2015, 11:50 PM   #176   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

I also found witch bride a bit irritating to deal with, if arachnoids at roof tops wasn't enough.

I hate it when the AI decides when to deny its weakness randomly, and how long it takes to initiate her attacks.

If witch-bride ever makes a return to SS4, CT should really re-think her character design in terms of gameplay.

The enemy type that I would really like to see is the support type, like giving buffs to the hords for one.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:09 AM   #177   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

I enjoyed the witches, even that i'm not good at aiming I met no problems to deal with them.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:57 PM   #178   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

If the witch no longer has that stupid telekinesis and instead has a variety of powers that are actually cool to fight such as elemental attacks, she can be a good enemy. Actually, speaking of telekinesis, what if, instead of picking you up, she picked up other random shit and threw it at you which you have to avoid by either sprinting away or shooting the projectile? That might actually be fun.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:22 PM   #179   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Okay. Also regenerating health. And some immortal friendly NPCs with 100% accuracy. Yes, this way the game will be much more playable and fun.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:32 PM   #180   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Snipers like on Half-life that have pretty high accuracy.