Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 4

Serious Sam 4 The place to talk about Croteam's next title: Serious Sam 4! What do you know? What do you hope to see in the next Sam game?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2016, 08:43 PM   #121   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Default Re: Egypt? EGYPT?!

But... but... we learned that they're using photogrammetry to render a backpack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCaedster View Post
Then SS5 will be about going back in time to stop the plane.
Not necessary, the secret level takes place in an alternate timeline to begin with.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:56 AM   #122   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Seems like they are gonna have realistic (i mean super realistic) high-quality models.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:13 AM   #123   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial View Post
You know what? I got a really great idea. How about... Croteam gives us more SS4 information.

Yes, I'm still salty. C'mon guys, it's been WAY too long since we've heard anything about it.
By my estimate we might hear about Sam4 before the end of this year or the start of next tops, but I don't think we'll see anything more than a vague screenshot until maybe spring.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 08-02-2016, 05:27 AM   #124   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

How about Sudan = Nubia for SS as replacement for Egypt?

Nubia has History too, and is even related to Egypt.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:04 AM   #125   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
By my estimate we might hear about Sam4 before the end of this year or the start of next tops, but I don't think we'll see anything more than a vague screenshot until maybe spring.
whyyyyyy tho?

My Charizard was banned in the Geneva Conventions.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #126   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Because it takes a few years to make anything remotely enjoyable for fans to view, especially because Croteam is basically indie-sized.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:18 PM   #127   Add To Ignore List  
s! shitposter

I was thinking; why does Sam look so different between SSHD (or the classics) and SS3? Are they different persons? Is SS3's Sam the dad of the SSHD Sam because SS3 is actually a prequel, hence why only one of them has the cool tattoo and doesn't wear the orange glasses?

yes i know, design changes, but it's a dank idea if you think about it

The hand has five fingers, capable and powerful,
with the ability to destroy as well as create.
Open your eyes, open your mouths,
Close your hands and make a fist.

22:06 - ♠T-ReXx: it's bain's amazing trap
22:06 - ♠Jetroid: Is it amazing?
22:06 - ♠T-ReXx: no
Old 08-02-2016, 08:07 PM   #128   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Actually, you know the cool thing in the differences between designs? That unknowingly, Croteam kinda hinted the ending of SS3 in the appearance of SSHD Sam. Why? Look at him. One side of his face is burned, along with his t-shirt on the same side. What happened at the end of SS3? He just barely escaped a giant explosion that blew up the planet. I guess, he got singed a little.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:47 PM   #129   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
Because it takes a few years to make anything remotely enjoyable for fans to view, especially because Croteam is basically indie-sized.
I don't need to view anything. I just want some basic info. Where's it gonna be located? What guns can we expect? And etc. Basically anything that would be suicidal to scrap at this point in the dev process.

Last edited by Artificial; 08-02-2016 at 09:50 PM.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:20 AM   #130   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

There's been some info floating around regarding that. It is known that SS4 is a prequel to SS3. It is known that it will be likely set it Rome, Italy, and somewhere in France. You can expect the regular arsenal of weapons with plenty of new toys as well. Being a prequel, I can confirm that Rodriguez will be in it, and once you... "experience" him, you'll understand why I think he should be a meme.

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:05 AM   #131   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Actually, you know the cool thing in the differences between designs? That unknowingly, Croteam kinda hinted the ending of SS3 in the appearance of SSHD Sam. Why? Look at him. One side of his face is burned, along with his t-shirt on the same side. What happened at the end of SS3? He just barely escaped a giant explosion that blew up the planet. I guess, he got singed a little.
Kinda odd, though. Sam's right side appears burned in SamHD yet when he legged it towards the Time Lock the moon was appearing on his left side.

Old 08-03-2016, 05:06 AM   #132   Add To Ignore List  
s! shitposter

Quote:
There's been some info floating around regarding that. It is known that SS4 is a prequel to SS3. It is known that it will be likely set it Rome, Italy, and somewhere in France. You can expect the regular arsenal of weapons with plenty of new toys as well. Being a prequel, I can confirm that Rodriguez will be in it, and once you... "experience" him, you'll understand why I think he should be a meme.
Quote:
I can confirm that Rodriguez will be in it, and once you... "experience" him, you'll understand why I think he should be a meme.
Quote:
should be a meme.
Quote:
meme.
Quote:
meme.
ss4 confirmed bestests game ever

The hand has five fingers, capable and powerful,
with the ability to destroy as well as create.
Open your eyes, open your mouths,
Close your hands and make a fist.

22:06 - ♠T-ReXx: it's bain's amazing trap
22:06 - ♠Jetroid: Is it amazing?
22:06 - ♠T-ReXx: no
Old 08-03-2016, 10:52 AM   #133   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Cool. That's something! Now when you say "regular arsenal", are you talking about the stock TFE weapons or TSE weapons or BFE weapons? Or are you merely talking about the weapons that have been in all three games?

Old 08-03-2016, 11:13 AM   #134   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Yes.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:30 PM   #135   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Holy s*** I'm going to wet myself... <3
Old 08-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #136   Add To Ignore List  
Gehenna's member

ROME??? YAY!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorchop View Post
I'll date you bro. You're gonna have to put on a wig and stuff some balloons under your shirt, and you're gonna have to pay for dinner as well. Also no touching. Don't even make eye contact. I'll pick you up around 7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mane View Post
That's a deal!
Old 08-03-2016, 04:11 PM   #137   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Thank you so much for the info, Solais. New weapons, Rome, and France? Heck yeah! But I just want my P-LAH Chainsaw back as well.

ENTER THE COLOSSEUM
Old 08-03-2016, 04:42 PM   #138   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Yes.
Is there anything you can say about the game graphically? We know it's going to have an intensely rendered backpack but does it have any other tricks up it's sleeve? Is the engine going to be SE4.5 or SE5?
Old 08-03-2016, 05:35 PM   #139   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Considering that in that one interview about SSVR, the interviewer asked "Is this Serious Engine 3?" and Ante answered "It's the Serious Engine", CT might be finally going away with the engine numbering, because it barely makes any sense anymore.

Graphically, we'll see when every level is done to the last detail. But technically, it's like Talos, just with a bunch of new tech and optimizations. You can see the current state of the engine in the SamVR footage around the net.

Old 08-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #140   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Serious Engine 5 for SS4 confirmed?

BTW, imagining different possibilities for the bosses of Sam 4. Hopefully, some of them won't later be recurring enemies.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:10 PM   #141   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
But technically, it's like Talos, just with a bunch of new tech and optimizations. You can see the current state of the engine in the SamVR footage around the net.
Um... yeah... you know... that's actually rather concerning... I hope that the "bunch of new tech and optimizations" makes a big difference and there is a massive improvement from the SamVR footage between now and when SS4 is released because Talos and SamVR not very impressive by current standards.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:28 PM   #142   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAngus View Post
Um... yeah... you know... that's actually rather concerning... I hope that the "bunch of new tech and optimizations" makes a big difference and there is a massive improvement from the SamVR footage between now and when SS4 is released because Talos and SamVR not very impressive by current standards.
Dude, does anyone really care about the graphics in Serious Sam in the end? I mean, up to an obvious extent, yes. But yeah. Furthermore, I'm worried about the opposite effect. I really liked how SS3/Talos could scale down so well, graphically speaking. Sorry but I don't wanna lose that just to have some fancier graphics.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:37 PM   #143   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

*generic comment about graphics not being everything*

Yes, graphics are not absolutely crucial but appealing visuals are a nice thing to have, okay? And what does the quality of the graphics have to do with how well the game can scale down? It's seems to me that generally the better graphics a PC game has the more significantly it can scale down, actually.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:49 AM   #144   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

I dunno, the feedback about Talos is that it was a beautiful game, so eh.

I don't think it's really about graphics anymore, but more about aesthetics. Talos was made out of reusable modular elements, so of course it looked somewhat samey to some people. What other "current standard" games have are a bunch of well modeled/textured setpieces that makes their games look somewhat more special, as these setpieces draw the attention from the modular assets those modern games also use aplenty.

I do have to mention, that SamVR does have to work with different standards. Unlike regular games that only really have to be optimized for 60FPS and can allow some hitching here and there, VR games MUST BE optimized for seamless 90FPS. Any sort of hitching in VR would result in the player throwing up.

Last edited by Solais; 08-04-2016 at 02:54 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:38 AM   #145   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

I wonder if there is test footage somewhere with a compilation of people vomiting over vr game bugs....
Old 08-04-2016, 07:51 AM   #146   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
I do have to mention, that SamVR does have to work with different standards. Unlike regular games that only really have to be optimized for 60FPS and can allow some hitching here and there, VR games MUST BE optimized for seamless 90FPS. Any sort of hitching in VR would result in the player throwing up.
I've never tried VR, but if that's true that's fucking hilarious.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:48 AM   #147   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Well, it's exaggerated, but basically, VR causes motion sickness in the large majority of players when "unreal" motion is involved, and any sort of frame drop is also considered as such.

Old 08-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #148   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
It's seems to me that generally the better graphics a PC game has the more significantly it can scale down, actually.
That has NOT been my experience at all. It's been quite the opposite. High resource-consuming effects stupidly hard-coded into the engine just 'cause. If I really wanted to get on my tinfoil hat though, I hear that's done because game devs and/or publishers have a deal with gfx card companies to keep making system requirements higher and higher so they can actually sell more cards.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:53 PM   #149   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Quote:
Even though everyone says that graphics don't make for better game play, I definitely agree with you that better graphics certainly improve the overall experience. However, I think The Talos Principle was a pretty beautiful game both inside and out. SS3 also impressed me at the time that it was released even though I didn't like the overall art direction relative to SSHD, and I still think that it holds up today.

It's clear to me that it pretty much comes down to presentation rather than ultra realistic textures or substantially higher polygon counts. TSE HD is still probably the most beautiful game that I have ever played and there's nothing like walking through that valley at the very start of the game, chainsawing through Gnaars and trees. If they can translate that art style to the newer Serious engine, then I will be really happy.

Photorealism is impressive but I'm not quite sure that it would add much to future games. The view outside my window isn't that great so I'm not sure that I'd want SS4 to look like real life. I'd definitely be happier if I could stroll through something as picturesque as TSE HD however.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:40 PM   #150   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

In that one video CT did with Reboot, they also confirmed that SS4 will be more colorful than SS3 for sure. Hell, even TSE HD had a sort of "grey-ish feeling" to it, which is already missing from Talos, and SS4 will follow that style as well.