Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 3 > Serious Sam 3: BFE Workshop

Serious Sam 3: BFE Workshop The official forum for Serious Sam 3: BFE projects, be it maps, mods, or something else.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2016, 04:09 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Default Plastic Patrol

http://i.imgur.com/nkW6jjg.png
-- Description --
Plastic Patrol is a custom campaign for Serious Sam 3. Take the role of an Action Figure, hired by the Green Army Men forces, to fight back the opposing Tan Army. Fight through out a house, sandbox and medieval dioramas in this new 5 map long campaign. Featuring all new enemy types, NPC allies and locations. Defeat the Tan general and take back what rightfuly belongs to the Green army!

- 5 brand new maps
- Over 8 new enemy types
- VS Maps (Coming soon!)
- NPC allies! Fight alongside Green Tanks, infantrymen and knights!

Credits:
Thanks to the 7smoke members for helping me test and troubleshoot the campaign.
Mauritsio for scripting help on level 5, thanks man!
Thanks to FunkyFinzy for assistance on level 5's light and blur and some texturing advice throughout.
SeriousNorbo for the basis for tanks

--- Downloads ---
Workshop!

--- Screens ---
http://i.imgur.com/hH7RtaC.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6egdnpR.jpg
Old 02-04-2016, 07:46 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Bio
Mechanoid

Default Re: Plastic Patrol

Congrats on the release!
Old 02-05-2016, 12:01 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

awesome, gonna play this right now!
Old 02-05-2016, 01:59 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

Just played through it, great potential, but the execution was pretty mediocre.

So, let me elaborate with a review:

The largest problem with this is that like ALL, and I'm serious here! 7smoke creations, this is nearly impossible in single player, I DARE you to beat it on normal by yourself. So I had to use cheats, the worst offenders were levels 2 and 4.

A great amount of work went into this that's for sure, so here's a level by level review:

First Level "5/10" it looks nice but doesn't play very well, also why would anyone put demolition supplies where the enemy could reach them, that doesn't make any sense, what makes less sense it that they aren't even used. I imagine players got stuck behind on the copter part.

Second Level "6/10" slightly better, but still not very good, this is where the whole "7smoke" difficulty started coming play, mostly on that last fight, this one makes a little more sense so it's exceptionable.

Third Level "8.5/10" the highlight for sure, completely unexpected level.
It looks great plays quite well, however there are some problems here, enemies getting stuck out of bounds and windows that allow to fall to the garage (I'm sure that's where you are) floor.
the difficulty on this one is the fairest so far, but it won't last.

Fourth Level "2.5/10" This one's unplayable, couldn't beat it at all without cheats/ and or exploits. there are WAY TOO many overpowered enemies for one player, what's worst is I missed the Devastator somewhere and had to fight without it. So far as visuals go this looks like you reused content from your sandbox deathmatch level.

Fifth/Final Level "3/10" some fights, and a REALLY mediocre boss fight that takes way too long to kill. Great, another mediocre boss fight. I just stood there and did a give-all cheat and fulled him up with laser and minigun runs, since his hammer won't do shit.

After killing him the map pretty much told me to "fuck off". Really? no credits? Because I really want to know where you got many of the assets used here (especially the knights)

final score: 25/50, not bad, but not too good.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:38 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

I beat it on normal without cheats, I thought it was perfectly reasonable. Maybe it's because I made it/ That's always the struggle when developing.

1 - Are you serious with the demolition supplies, man? You're toys being played with in a house environment and you're questioning the objectives? You aren't meant to use them. You're retrieving them.

2 - I didn't struggle when I played it but okay i'll look.

4 - There's a glitch that seems to take the devastator away. Looking into it. It vastly alters the maps difficulty. I reused the background items, I was not aware that reusing the playground items was a crime. >_> The sandpot itself, the tan base and the such were very exciting, to me. I thought the whole set up was an exciting affair.

5 - It needs improving, have been told. Shame you didn't think it looked nice or anything. *shrug*

Edit: Also I take issue with "7smoke creations". This isn't a 7smoke creation and I'm not primarily associated with them. This is a Pan creation, lobbing it under 7smoke is just wrong.

I think you're a tad harsh on points but I'll take note. Also;
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/025/902/7d5.gif

Last edited by Pan; 02-05-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:49 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Just from this, I'm guessing that the endboss is the Scrapjack boss? If yes, there are two errors made:

- For Pan: Look for a script on the last JotN level. The Hammer's damage is controlled by a script, this is why it doesn't do anything by default.

- For Captain_Russia: You don't kill the Scrapjack Boss with regular weapons, but with C4, like in JotN. (At least, I'm guessing there's any? Because there should be. The boss wasn't designed to be killed with regular weapons.)

Will try the campaign once I got some time.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:52 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Suppose I'll have to. Level 5 needs changes anyway from community feedback.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:53 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan View Post
I beat it on normal without cheats, I thought it was perfectly reasonable. Maybe it's because I made it/ That's always the struggle when developing.

1 - Are you serious with the demolition supplies, man? You're toys being played with in a house environment and you're questioning the objectives? You aren't meant to use them. You're retrieving them.

2 - I didn't struggle when I played it but okay i'll look.

4 - There's a glitch that seems to take the devastator away. Looking into it. It vastly alters the maps difficulty. I reused the background items, I was not aware that reusing the playground items was a crime. >_> The sandpit itself, the tan base and the such were very exciting, to me. I thought the whole set up was an exciting affair.

5 - It needs improving, have been told. Shame you didn't think it looked nice or anything. *shrug*

I think you're a tad harsh on points but I'll take note. Also;
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/001/025/902/7d5.gif
I must have miss read the first text that told me I was RETRIEVING the charges, sorry.

I was pointing out problems, many oh them can be fixed, just give the player more armor and health. the largest offenders here are that "there are too many hitscan enemies, and not enough cover to hide in" (the sandpit level is the largest offender for this, atleast before the tan base part, there's plenty of cover there), also the snipers have too much HP.

Nah, reusing content that fits the theme isn't bad, I've just seen it before, I didn't expect you to make new content on every single level.

The sandbox thing isn't a bad idea, I just think it's poorly executed, I'm not a big fan of walking a few feet and 40 enemies spawn in my face. Also why are Tea and Athena talking after they DIED? That does not make sense at all right there.

As far as that boss fight goes, I don't really know how to improve it, but it's way too much HP for 1 player, that's not how to do a boss fight and all I gotta do is stand on one place and shoot it until it's dead. It suffers from the Shrek boss rush at the end of Donkeyskin, there's no challenge, just pointless game time lost you won't get back. The effects that do appear here are nice and I should have mentioned it sooner and am sorry for that, but with this boss they are kinda wasted.

Main point is, give it some balance tweaks here and there, don't touch level 3, that one is pretty perfect the way it is, though you might want to look into those glitches

I do still recommend this to everyone, it's not your normal Sam adventure, but at the same time, it doesn't really feel like de_rats (or Rustasku Assault) to me, also I should point out I have played the armymen games back in the day, and this doesn't compare well IMO, but that's my opinion.
I'll show you guys how I would do a boss fight, come Tennis 5, so there's that.

And again, where did you get those knight models?

Last edited by Captain_Russia; 02-05-2016 at 04:00 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:59 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

The boss fight was a loss of inspiration. I'm already working on a new one.

The credits are in the workshop description.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:02 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

Thumbs up Re: Plastic Patrol

Quote:
The boss fight was a loss of inspiration. I'm already working on a new one.

The credits are in the workshop description.
Ok I didn't check there

But please next time, compare the difficulty or your levels again croteam's, that's what I do, because ATM the difficulty in this one reminds me of my old super hard levels, kinda this is not impossible, just not easy.

And yes, create a cool new boss!
I'd like to see that.

I was a little too harsh here, sorry, but with a little more work this could be one of the most creative things ever made for Serious Sam 3!

Last edited by Captain_Russia; 02-05-2016 at 04:05 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:26 AM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Just realised final boss is using the official croteam one instead of my edited files. No wonder he took ages to kill there's that mystery solved. Thanks long car drive, gives you time to ponder.

I still believe it's not that hard but again I'll get more data before making huge changes. The devastator bug in level four isn't helping anything but I appreciate the input.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:33 AM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Is it possible that a ChapterInfo is set up to not have the Devastator and taking it away?

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:34 AM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

No it's just not spawning I haven't looked into it yet but I'm pretty sure I know what went wrong.itd take twenty seconds to fix. I'm at work so can't work on it lol
Old 02-05-2016, 06:41 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

If you need help I can take a look, I'm really good with lua script.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:56 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

I don't. It's a simple thing.... I haven't even looked it over yet and you two want to troubleshoot XD
Old 02-05-2016, 07:06 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Hey, if you want I remake the whole map for you.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 02-05-2016, 07:47 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

I'm sure it's nothing major, maybe a last minute messup?
Old 02-05-2016, 11:56 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Looking forward to finally taking this for a spin. It's been great seeing this campaign pack progress from inception I just need to reinstall SS3 and get this mofo loaded up... maybe this weekend!
Old 02-05-2016, 12:11 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Russia View Post
I'm sure it's nothing major, maybe a last minute messup?
Can we perhaps stop guessing what the problem is? =/ I have it under control no need to involve yourself. It's gone from trying to be 'helpful' to condescending. Now that I'm at home and I can read all this proper and give it the attention I need it's like, I wish some of these comments had focused on something other than what's wrong with my work. I was restraining myself at first trying to just accept criticms politely but it's annoying. Don't associate me with 7smoke by the way when talking about difficulty. It's pretty rude. It makes it sound like I'm not an original member of a community with my own goals and ideas but instead a lumped number from a group with no individualism.

@NMR: Glad to hear it man hope to have that patch out before then to fix the level 4 balancing.

Last edited by Pan; 02-05-2016 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:35 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

just goes to show I'm not good with words.

Sorry about the whole "7smoke" difficulty thing, but most of your guys work I've played is too hard IMO.

End point, keep going! This will be a very addition to SS3!
I'm try to be supportive.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:17 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Bio
Mechanoid

Just finished this campaign a few days ago and here are my thoughts:

- The environments are very nicely made for the theme you used for this campaign.
- Levels 1 and 2 (Especially 2) are very unbalanced (Hitscan everywhere batman, not enough health and armor pickups, lack of ammo in some parts) and needs to be rebalanced.
- The HP on those small eggplant creatures are a little too high IMO and their melee hit range is too high so you get damaged even if you're in a reasonable distance away from them when they play their melee attack animation.
- Level 3 was the most balanced and enjoyable level out of all of them (Though the first section was a little BS at times)
- Level 4 was hard as hell mainly because the devastator never spawned but I still barely managed with what I had luckily.
- Level 5 was kinda lame IMO. The last boss was a joke and his melee attack did 0 damage. I don't need to explain the whole script thing since Solais already mentioned it. Also the map didn't even end after you defeat the last boss. :\
- You should add a zone controller entity around the watch towers and set fall damage to 0 since its a pain in the ass to climb back down. Actually, why not just use the ladder entity in the first place?

Overall, it's an okay campaign with unique theme but it's bogged down by the awful balance in some parts of the earlier levels and the lame final boss.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:29 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Always good to get criticism which gives me something to look at with specifics. I'll look it over thanks.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:32 AM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Preliminary patch notes.

Patch sometime this week.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:02 AM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

I'm gonna try it once you release the patch.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 02-07-2016, 08:54 AM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
I'm gonna try it once you release the patch.
same, hope the next version is as amazing as I hope it will be!

Like Bio said, watch those hitscan enemies, this was the worst part of level 2 and level 4 IMO
Old 02-07-2016, 01:25 PM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Bio
Mechanoid

Quote:
Preliminary patch notes.

Patch sometime this week.
Noice. Will replay the campaign later on to see the new changes. Also, you should add that in the "Change Notes" section in the workshop page for the mod.
Old 02-07-2016, 01:30 PM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bio View Post
Noice. Will replay the campaign later on to see the new changes. Also, you should add that in the "Change Notes" section in the workshop page for the mod.
That was the plan, and the entire reason it was written XD, but it can't be done until the actual update is uploaded to the Workshop. I just released the notes early so people with large gripes I haven't covered could chime in. haha
Old 02-07-2016, 01:51 PM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
Bio
Mechanoid

Quote:
That was the plan, and the entire reason it was written XD, but it can't be done until the actual update is uploaded to the Workshop. I just released the notes early so people with large gripes I haven't covered could chime in. haha
Okay good. The reason I posted that because I noticed people making change notes in the workshop page of their mods without actually putting it in the Change Notes section. *cough*Solais*cough*SS3 Extended*cough*
Old 02-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

I completely forgot that part existed, it's so out of the way.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Patch would have been fucking uploaded by now but after 4 tries on a slow Australian upload speed, SED and the workshop have straight up screwed me. Workshop error 9 on different download servers and on different days.

What the fuck. I'm sick of leaving my computer alone and doing nothing to upload something so people can enjoy it and then have Steam/SED just say no and give me an Error code that, according to google, means nothing!

Edits:
Upload 5 - SED stopped responding.
Upload 6 - Workshop Error 10 (Then changed to USA for my download/upload server)
Upload 7 - Workshop Error 10 then SED malfunctions and instantly shuts.

I am absolutely livid. This isn't fair. Is this because I made that video showcasing how SED is complete ass at the best of times?

Last edited by Pan; 02-09-2016 at 01:30 PM.