Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 4

Serious Sam 4 The place to talk about Croteam's next title: Serious Sam 4! What do you know? What do you hope to see in the next Sam game?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2017, 07:00 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Default Do you think Serious Sam 4 will have lots of invisible walls?

And other collision errors.

Collision detection gets very complicated when having that many polygons. We all know all the errors that Serious Sam 3 bought us. The game also had invisible walls from time to time (but mostly on custom maps).
Old 06-09-2017, 03:40 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Default Re: Do you think Serious Sam 4 will have lots of invisible walls?

The plan is to have none, besides some of the extreme cases when really needed. And collision will be done the way Talos had it, with simpler collision boxes inside the models. (I think Fusion also uses that now.)

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:36 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Is it possible for the collision box to fit exctly to the geometry of the model?
Old 06-10-2017, 02:31 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Yes.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 06-10-2017, 04:43 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
The plan is to have none, besides some of the extreme cases when really needed. And collision will be done the way Talos had it, with simpler collision boxes inside the models. (I think Fusion also uses that now.)
Are You also planning to add a level hazard similar to the sand worm in BFE?
Old 06-15-2017, 06:08 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Thats what I was thinking.
But, I hope they dont do those tight outside corridor type levels like they did with BFE (well, almost all of the game was this way, after the town level anyway, no matter who says the areas were much larger. In 1 and 2 I could roam way to the left or right in any map, short of falling off the edge of the map, or fall into water, or whatever, they FELT bigger in the originals, and thats all that counts, not if they had more polygons, or they wer pixelly more than the originals, or if they were compared flat right next to each other. Because you werent penalized for going far left or right on any map, and made the fighting more to your (users) style of fighting, instead of feeling like you are in a corridor except its outside).

Anyway, yes, the sand worm was awesome. So was when you got too far out in the dunes you got heat stroke or whatever and the screen started going red until you went back closer to buildings.
But not as awesome as being able to just go in any direction and maybe find something way out there in the nothingness.
I know games are much more taxing nowadays than they were back in the olden times, but being able to go anywhere, and do anything, is what made games like Sam, Tomb Raider, and other games like those so great. Even if the map was smallish, they FELT really huge. And, that feeling is lost in almost all of todays FPS games (minus vast open world games, or mmo's, which lose the fps games tightgnit gameplay style though).
Old 06-15-2017, 04:42 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3d View Post
In 1 and 2 I could roam way to the left or right in any map, short of falling off the edge of the map, or fall into water, or whatever, they FELT bigger in the originals, and thats all that counts, not if they had more polygons, or they wer pixelly more than the originals, or if they were compared flat right next to each other. Because you werent penalized for going far left or right on any map, and made the fighting more to your (users) style of fighting, instead of feeling like you are in a corridor except its outside).
This is what I loved about TFE and TSE. It was such an awesome feeling a huge departure from other games to seemingly be able to run in any direction for as long as I wanted. Levels felt incredibly massive and every so often, there were secrets way out in the distance. I spent a lot of the time just running in the wrong direction in order to see how far I could get.

I wasn't a fan of the sandworm mechanic in BFE. It's actually one of my main criticisms of the game. Levels felt so constrained and the worm still didn't stop people from going out of bounds and sneaking around the entire level, thereby skipping it completely and ruining the fun for everyone else on the server. I really hope that Sam 4 is closer to TFE and TSE in this regard.