Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #1501   Add To Ignore List  

Default Re: What are you playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
AC Brotherhood and AC3 is a must play as well. AC3 is not franchise ruining, that's just viper's opinion.
Yeah, yeah. I'll admit that AC3 seems to be really divisive. I've seen some people say it's one of the best games they've ever played. But I've seen others say it's one of the worst. I wouldn't say it's one of the worst because it's still somewhat "well made", I just didn't enjoy my time with it. Edit: And the AC story was not as important to the developers as showcasing the American Revolution was.

Moral of the story: NMR, don't let my opinion ruin AC3 for you because there's still a chance you might like it.

Last edited by viper45; 03-17-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #1502   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army. Searching for nazi gold and shooting bitches.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #1503   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

I guess nobody here really plays D&D RPGs atm, but yeah, as I mentioned, I'm playing ToEE and it's...gotta be the most challenging game I've played in a looong time. Even after preparing for battles you're bound to get your ass kicked by bad decisions or rolls or whatever. I can't imagine how the vanilla game would play like without mods (since the circle of eight modpack adds new areas for EXP gaining to skip the boring village fetching quests for instance - and it's still difficult, although I did manage to clear one major boss fight that got my party to lv2 by now ).

The combat in the game is freaking brutal. Anything bigger than a goblin or kobold can 1 hit KILL your PCs with an unlucky critical hit, and when your PCs die, they stay dead - either dismiss em or load the game, since you won't have resurrection spells till much later on. If they get KO'd, you'd better heal them, since they're vulnerable on he ground and will bleed out without action.

Neverwinter Nights is really like a beginner's D&D game in comparison, this is the real deal. That being said, it's both pretty fun and frustrating to play - frustrating as in hard to get started at properly, but very fun once you do. It feels like an actual challenge to play the game, which is something that modern games are missing since they're all made so easy on purpose so that everyone can get to the end while just enjoying the ride.

If you liked BG, IWD or NWN, I'd recommend grabbing it off GOG. It comes pre-patched and all you have to do is to add the Circle of Eight modpack (NC version) on top of it for a full experience (cause the vanilla game is buggy as hell and the mods basically made the game what it is).
Old 03-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #1504   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

I played Neverwinters Night 1 & 2 to death and Dungens and Dragons Online if those count?

This game apparently runs on the 3.5e which I am a HUGE fan of, I'm tempted to look into finding it now since I love that crap. Used to go to a weekly sessions for it so Im intrigued.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #1505   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Those totally count, I only played the shit out of NWN1 & 2 as well.

It should totally satisfy your D&D3.5 needs. The game plays very close to the tabletop version as far as I know, it's completely turn based and it has nearly all the tabletop actions you can do that didn't exist in NWN for instance (such as choosing your attack style, e.g charging into enemies, attempting to trip someone, being defensive, different moving options, and so on, each giving or substracting AC or attack roll bonuses and such). Ranged combat even takes into account cover and people standing in the way. You can also delay turns for some other character to act first and so on.

It reminds me of playing Blood Bowl in a weird way...for D&D, since the threat ranges (Attack of opportunity zones) are kinda like tackle zones.

My favorite tactic is actually to just pile up all my front line fighters in a line as "tacklers" to try and kill anyone that tries to run ahead to hurt my mages. Pretty rewarding to pull off.

Last edited by Finzy; 03-17-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #1506   Add To Ignore List  
有毒物質

inb4
I played real Pen & Paper DnD
tfw a simple kobold hits and one other kobold crits mah lvl 2 Fighter PC ("tank") from [Full / 30 hp] to [OH_SH*T / 30 hp]
tfw a 1 lvl sorcerer dies by slipping when taking a walk out of a cave and rolling a bit down a hill.
tfw a a baby white dragon leaves the whole lvl 2 party @ OH SH*T hp after flying over them and "sneezing once".
tfw when a party of lvl 2 & 3 PC is chased and attacked by a massive dragon due to having something that infuriates it.
And so on....
Dee + Dee is something truly spectacular. I Recommenced trying it for everyone who has not. It's completely different from anything created for computers.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #1507   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Wait, I'm confused. 3.5E doesn't count as pen and paper?

What?
Old 03-18-2013, 04:00 AM   #1508   Add To Ignore List  
Oh Long Johnson

Finished crysis 3, it turned out pretty good, but the game was pretty short imo. but the ending was amazing,i totally loved it!
the ceph weaponry is awesome
Old 03-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #1509   Add To Ignore List  
有毒物質

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan View Post
Wait, I'm confused. 3.5E doesn't count as pen and paper?
Look, no matter how much effort the devs put in, a video game based on Dee'n'Dee will have a gamplay that greatly differs from playing the real Pen and Paper DnD.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #1510   Add To Ignore List  
Me? Serious? How?

Until the time comes that when what the Player actually says can have an effect on how the computer makes the game, it'll always be different. Back during the ONE game I played (And I got lucky. Hit something with my Staff as a 2 lvl, murdered it. It was so long ago, I don't remember what class, stats, etc.), you made a snarky comment, "Oh look, a wall's falling. What do you do?" and a timer was flipped.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:46 AM   #1511   Add To Ignore List  
有毒物質

It also depends a lot on the creativity of the DM. Currently, computers are very lousy DMs, as they depend on pre-scripted suff + RNG. Unless A good enough AI can be created, no proper DMs on computers anytime soon.
And because a largo portion of the DM's work is directed to dealing with exceptions, non-standard situations and the creativity of the players, that AI should be as good as a real human's.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #1512   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Vinska, you didn't really read what I said I guess? I said I played pen and paper at weekly DND sessions for many years. I also played Shadowrun and one other which has a name that escapes me.

So yeah, "look" yourself. =/
Old 03-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #1513   Add To Ignore List  
有毒物質

OH SH*T that's right.
Well, that will be a lesson to me: "don't go on S! when high". (I was high at the time when I read that and replied for the first time. And was still a bit high when replying the second time.)
Old 03-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #1514   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

I wonder if i will get with D'Fend Reloaded Wizardry 7 to work and can play that, somewhere these week.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #1515   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper45 View Post
Yeah, yeah. I'll admit that AC3 seems to be really divisive. I've seen some people say it's one of the best games they've ever played. But I've seen others say it's one of the worst. I wouldn't say it's one of the worst because it's still somewhat "well made", I just didn't enjoy my time with it. Edit: And the AC story was not as important to the developers as showcasing the American Revolution was.

Moral of the story: NMR, don't let my opinion ruin AC3 for you because there's still a chance you might like it.
Don't get me wrong, I have every intention of playing AC3, but I just might not be in a great hurry to play the game as I have the other games. I am sure there is a chance I will enjoy the game, but I also know I enjoy the AC franchise for a lot of the same reasons that you do. Not to mention that a lot of the complaints you have I could see as bad signs as well. But I will still play it and make my own conclusions

In regards to the whole D&D thing, there was time about two years ago that I was interested in trying D&D and my wife showed interest as well. So I took advantage of that and purchased a 4e Starter Kit and the two of us played two characters to make a more fleshed out team and played through the supplied campaign. We enjoyed the game quite a bit, but we also lived very far from civilization at the time and never found a group. We live in the city again, but haven't taken the time to find a group.

We just might try to play again, but I will want to find a group that is welcoming of complete newbies. I also don't want a group that is like "OMG A GURL!!!" Probably another hesitation on my part is that most D&D players I have met in my life have been goofy as hell, and not the good kind of goofy. And I don't want to become goofy as hell.

Maybe someone familiar with D&D can explain this to me in simple terms, what is with all the hate for 4e? I acknowledge I am a newbie and am not familiar with all the intricacies, but playing through the 4e starter campaign and reading through the rule books and character development sheets, it certainly seemed to have quite a bit of depth. But it seems like the unanimous opinion is that 3.5e is the pinnacle of the rule sets.

-EDIT- Are any of these games mentioned put more of the decisions upfront, or are they all more "behind the scenes" rule applications like NWN? I am just wondering if any of these games would help become acquainted with 3.5e rules so that I at least would have something to go off from if I ever join a group. If so, it might be a good idea to get my wife to watch/play so she becomes familiar as well.

Damn, my posts always end up being lengthy as hell.

Last edited by NoMercy Rider; 03-18-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:18 AM   #1516   Add To Ignore List  

Finished WFC. The last couple levels are just epic. God I love this game. One of the best things about it is that you're free to transform at any time you want - none of that hand holding context-sensitive stuff you find in most modern games (i.e. no "You can't transform here because you're indoors!")

There's nothing quite like the thrill of being in a little over your head and close to dying, only to transform into a jet and make a quick getaway by weaving through tight corridors to get out of the line of fire. Everything about the gameplay in this game is so well done. It's fluid and agile, perfect for Transformers.

No one but High Moon Studios should ever do a Transformers game again. If Fall of Cybertron is anywhere near as good as this game is, HMS will be one of my new favorite developers. This is a team that obviously loves what they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMercy Rider View Post
Don't get me wrong, I have every intention of playing AC3, but I just might not be in a great hurry to play the game as I have the other games. I am sure there is a chance I will enjoy the game, but I also know I enjoy the AC franchise for a lot of the same reasons that you do. Not to mention that a lot of the complaints you have I could see as bad signs as well. But I will still play it and make my own conclusions
I'll be interested to hear what you think of it when you finally play it!

Last edited by viper45; 03-19-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:06 AM   #1517   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Quote:
We just might try to play again, but I will want to find a group that is welcoming of complete newbies. I also don't want a group that is like "OMG A GURL!!!" Probably another hesitation on my part is that most D&D players I have met in my life have been goofy as hell, and not the good kind of goofy. And I don't want to become goofy as hell.
Yeah, that would be my reasoning why I don't want to play the tabletop versions in general that badly as well. (Though it'd be awesome with a good group you actually know)

Quote:
Maybe someone familiar with D&D can explain this to me in simple terms, what is with all the hate for 4e? I acknowledge I am a newbie and am not familiar with all the intricacies, but playing through the 4e starter campaign and reading through the rule books and character development sheets, it certainly seemed to have quite a bit of depth. But it seems like the unanimous opinion is that 3.5e is the pinnacle of the rule sets.
Well personally I don't like 4E, even though I haven't personally played it (but I've read the changes), because it destroys most of the lore of the setting. E.g in Forgotten Realms there's some massive cataclysm that destroys most of the world so places like Neverwinter are just a ruin there. A large amount of races, gods, etc. also become extinct.

It also simplifies the classes A LOT into just different roles. I don't remember it that well but I think the basic idea with 4th ed. was that any class could be anything, any character could be built into anything the way you want. It basically removes a lot of the diversity and restrictions in 3.5 and limits the amount of classes to some core selection. It's supposedly to make the game more newbie friendly, but it's exactly complexity that makes 3.5 what it is for me. If you thought 4th ed. had depth, imagine having at least 2-3 times that in 3.5.

Quote:
-EDIT- Are any of these games mentioned put more of the decisions upfront, or are they all more "behind the scenes" rule applications like NWN? I am just wondering if any of these games would help become acquainted with 3.5e rules so that I at least would have something to go off from if I ever join a group. If so, it might be a good idea to get my wife to watch/play so she becomes familiar as well.
They'd definitely help you get familiar with the rules, and what makes a good character build and such. Temple of Elemental Evil is almost exactly like playing tabletop D&D, since it's turn based and uses pretty much everything of the ruleset (only things that are missing are more classes and prestige classes, since it has only the standard classes available - NWN and others are better in that regard, but on the other hand NWN is a mix of realtime and turn based, as in it uses turn based rules in realtime, and it has a few other little changes to skills and such to make it more fitting for an RPG). I'd pick up NWN Diamond Edition or NWN2 as a first D&D RPG though, they're the easiest (and newest) ones to get into, picking up ToEE as a first D&D RPG would be just stabbing yourself since you need to know the rules extremely well to be able to do shit in it.

Last edited by Finzy; 03-19-2013 at 04:20 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:35 AM   #1518   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Hi sorry what is 4E ?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:05 AM   #1519   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Dungeons and Dragons: 4th Edition
Old 03-19-2013, 05:16 AM   #1520   Add To Ignore List  
「HORY SHET」

Finally decided to give Worms: Reloaded a try. Vinska gifted it to me almost three fricking months ago and I got bored with Quake, so hell, why the hell not. It's surprisingly fun, because, well, it's Worms in 2D, a setup where they belong. W4: Mayhem was atrocious, but this one is great. The only bugbear so far are the icons - I'm so used to the ones from Armageddon that I have serious trouble browsing through the weapons menu. There should be an option to allow a classic set of icons.

Also AI controlled worms don't seem to take any fall damage. Weird.

Last.fm | MyAnimeList.net
S!'s MVP (Most Valuable Pole)
Old 03-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #1521   Add To Ignore List  
Me? Serious? How?

I've always found a liking for the Darkstalkers series, and, well, I find it still there. I may of only gotten into the series less than five years ago, I think it's still fun. And with Darkstalkers Ressurection out, it seems to be incredible fun.

I just wish it didn't take so long to get a match ;-;
Old 03-19-2013, 06:25 AM   #1522   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Hsien-Ko for life.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:31 AM   #1523   Add To Ignore List  
Me? Serious? How?

I wish it were easy to transition from the Arcade stick to pad for her, but it's hard. So far I'm stuck to Q-Bee, Morrigan, and Demitri. (And I always thought Q-Bee was medium to low tier. Imagine my surprise when I found out she was top tier.)
Old 03-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #1524   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

@Finzy: That all makes sense in regards to the dislike for 4e rules, and it reminds me of a few arguments. You are right, that there are four underlying roles for each character, either being a Skirmisher, Soldier, Controller, or Artillery role, depending on the class chosen. To add on top of that, monsters have the same role (with a few added like Minion, Leader, etc). So combat basically boils down to a rock/paper/scissors game since one role has a better advantage of taking out a certain role type than other characters. I am familiar with D&D games, playing NWN1/2 extensively, just looking for a game where D&D rules are more upfront than those games. Understanding that there will always be a limitation in computer games, since you don't have a DM that can decide skill rolls on just about ANYTHING you want to do. I understand that this is the real appeal of D&D, that it allows just about any choice to be made.

@Viper: I absolutely agree with what you said earlier about AC:Brotherhood. They have taken just about everything that made AC2 great and expanded on those features. I could be wrong (don't spoil it for me if I am wrong), but it seems like either the whole game, or at least most of it, takes place in Rome. I actually like this decision, since it allows them to really flesh out the city to a much more intricate detail, for Brotherhood, the level of detail is astounding. I find the city much more livable and realistic than any other city in games past.

My biggest complaint, and this goes for ALL Assassin's Creed games, is the amount of collectibles. Seems like an empty attempt to make the game seem longer than it actually is. Not a big deal for me, since they can be ignored, but you would think there would be some substantial reward though for completing all the collectibles.

Also, a feature I wish they would add, and maybe they do in later games... They should really allow you to set a waypoint on your map from the locations database. Frequently I will come across a location that has a Subject 16 marker during a mission and obviously I can't stop, only to finish the mission and spend a fair amount of time trying to find the landmark again.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:11 PM   #1525   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
@Viper: I absolutely agree with what you said earlier about AC:Brotherhood. They have taken just about everything that made AC2 great and expanded on those features. I could be wrong (don't spoil it for me if I am wrong), but it seems like either the whole game, or at least most of it, takes place in Rome. I actually like this decision, since it allows them to really flesh out the city to a much more intricate detail, for Brotherhood, the level of detail is astounding. I find the city much more livable and realistic than any other city in games past.

My biggest complaint, and this goes for ALL Assassin's Creed games, is the amount of collectibles. Seems like an empty attempt to make the game seem longer than it actually is. Not a big deal for me, since they can be ignored, but you would think there would be some substantial reward though for completing all the collectibles.

Also, a feature I wish they would add, and maybe they do in later games... They should really allow you to set a waypoint on your map from the locations database. Frequently I will come across a location that has a Subject 16 marker during a mission and obviously I can't stop, only to finish the mission and spend a fair amount of time trying to find the landmark again.
Rome in Brotherhood is definitely my favorite world in the series. I really liked that they focused on making one huge open world environment rather than several smaller ones like in AC2. Plus like I said before, I really love the tone of the environment. The music makes it feel really foreboding.

I know what you're saying about waypoints. If I recall right, when you discover a location, it marks whether or not it has a Subject 16 puzzle and it saves that to the Animus' database or whatever it was called. You can refer back to that to find what landmarks have the glyphs, but the problem is landmarks are not named on the map. When I was finishing up the game and looking for my last couple Subject 16 glyphs, it was incredibly frustrating to have the name of the landmarks from the database, but not the actual location on the map.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:59 PM   #1526   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Actually, from what I can remember, you actually CAN set the location of the landmarks from the database in Brotherhood. It's just not really accurate, because you have huge locations like that one hill where the placed marker is nowhere near the actual Glyph.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #1527   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Actually, from what I can remember, you actually CAN set the location of the landmarks from the database in Brotherhood. It's just not really accurate, because you have huge locations like that one hill where the placed marker is nowhere near the actual Glyph.
Wow, are you sure? Maybe I just missed it. I remember having to look at the silhouettes of the landmarks on the map to try and match them up to the ones in the database. What about AC2? Can't quite remember which game I had this issue with.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:02 PM   #1528   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Wow, Solais... you are completely right! I guess I should've looked a little harder before complaining

Is the move in AC2 where you are hanging on a ledge and you are able to leap high up to a new ledge re-introduced in Brotherhood? There was a Borgia controlled district that I cleansed, but it seemed like the only way to reach the top was by doing the leaping move, which appears unavailable, at least up to this point in the main story. But maybe I need to look harder. It appears some of the Borgia Towers have only one "true" route with a few deceiving alternatives that lead to dead ends.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #1529   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

I play Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning it so great huge to explore....I finish with over 60 side mission and I cover area like only 25% already 60 hours played

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning big thumb up from me...I surprised this was out in Feb 2012 it could easy my game of the year 2013...
Old 04-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #1530   Add To Ignore List  
Praise the Sun!

Playing Diablo 3 again. Got me a mean axe and I'm slashing stuff left and right.

I just love the physics when you kill things with critical hits. The random spinny shield, the flying corpse that lands 3 seconds later. Random gibs falling from the sky a long while after killing something. Funny stuff.