Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 2 > Serious Sam 2 Workshop

Serious Sam 2 Workshop The official forum for Serious Sam 2 projects, be it maps, mods, or something else.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

Default Can I play as a Lion in Single Player???

I've been in college for the past couple years but now I'm finally back and re-diving into Serious Sam editing/modding again. (in case it seems rude I didn't log into these forums for so long)

What I am trying to do in Serious Editor 2 is find a way to replace the default Sam player model in single player with a lion-headed character, complete with new growling sounds when he gets hit, new speech, jump & and footstep sounds. I already have spliced together a lion-anthro in blender using XNA Lara models I found around the internet (lion head, human body)

Is this possible? I'm pretty lost right now, trying to figure out how to do it.

In Serious Editor 2, I opened up the default Sam model, but can't figure out how to export it into amf format, or edit in mesh editor or import a new mesh of the lion head. The help says Ctr + E, but that doesn't do anything.

for now I just want to put a lion head on Sam's body, just as an experiment. It would be awesome to play through the game as a lionman
Old 09-28-2014, 02:40 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Lurker

Default Re: Can I play as a Lion in Single Player???

You cannot edit/export the Serious Sam mesh in SS2 or SSHD, however, there's a not-so practical way to put the lionhead you want into Sam's body.

Make a new model document and import your lion mesh there, cut everything but the head, press Q and align it so that its in the coordinates 0 X, 0 Y, 0 Z texture it up and save it. Now open the Serious Sam model and go under the option Children Holder and click on the yellow "+" to make a new children holder, make sure you select as "target bone" the "Head" bone or the head will just float around and not move at all and then go under Model Instance, go to Model and select your Lion Head model, move your lion head around until you get it right on Sam's head (however you can't remove Sam's head).

But if you want to use the model you rigged by yourself, you can always take a look at Pan's tutorial on how to import player models into Serious Sam games, should work in SS2 too

Last edited by Dankzaii; 09-28-2014 at 02:44 AM.
Old 09-28-2014, 12:51 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankzaii View Post
You cannot edit/export the Serious Sam mesh in SS2 or SSHD, however, there's a not-so practical way to put the lionhead you want into Sam's body.

Make a new model document and import your lion mesh there, cut everything but the head, press Q and align it so that its in the coordinates 0 X, 0 Y, 0 Z texture it up and save it. Now open the Serious Sam model and go under the option Children Holder and click on the yellow "+" to make a new children holder, make sure you select as "target bone" the "Head" bone or the head will just float around and not move at all and then go under Model Instance, go to Model and select your Lion Head model, move your lion head around until you get it right on Sam's head (however you can't remove Sam's head).

But if you want to use the model you rigged by yourself, you can always take a look at Pan's tutorial on how to import player models into Serious Sam games, should work in SS2 too
Thank you very much, Dankzali. I needed confirmation that was possible to change the main player model in single player. This is very informative though! I have gone over Pan's tutorial a few times for BFE but wasn't sure if it would be applicable to SE2.

I will try this out and post here again if/when I need more help...
Old 09-28-2014, 07:01 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Moved to appropriate forum

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 09-30-2014, 07:44 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

Ok, I've run into a problem here. I can't export the mesh as an amf from Blender. I have followed Pan's tutorial & made sure I am in object mode & the mesh is selected.
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2014/273/c/e/attempt_to_export_amf_from_blender_by_spacelion88-d814ppq.jpg

I make sure it is all selected before trying to export. I have tried maybe not selecting all, but then when I try to import the mesh into SE2, simply nothing appears on the grid.

(sorry for the late replies; long shifts @ work lately :p )
Old 09-30-2014, 10:40 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Hide the mesh with H so that it's disappeared. Press A to select all, delete everything in there and then press ALT + H to bring the mesh back out from hiding. Then try to export it.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:22 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan View Post
Hide the mesh with H so that it's disappeared. Press A to select all, delete everything in there and then press ALT + H to bring the mesh back out from hiding. Then try to export it.
Well hey I was able to get it exported finally! Thank you! Excellent tutorial btw, Pan. It is very clear and easy to follow.

Serious Editor 2 seems slightly different however. I first tried opening the Denzel player model but it seems you can't delete any of the meshes in SS2 players. So now I am confused about the skeleton. I saved the skl file from Denzel and tried importing it to the lion, but it won't seem to import.
http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2014/280/4/8/serious_editor_2_leozoid_import_by_spacelion88-d820m5z.jpg

I'm lost now with SE2. I've searched google & these forums but have not found a tutorial specifically on making new player models for Serious Sam 2. Does anyone know where there is one?
Old 10-08-2014, 02:22 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Lurker

Have you tried yet to go to Meshes [1] > and in the .bmf file click on "New"?

Should make the player model a greencube, and then you are able to go into the Mesh Editor and import your mesh there.

Sadly I don't have SED2 to help you properly on this but I am completely sure player model porting is the same in all editors going from SED2 and after