Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam Classic

Serious Sam Classic Discuss anything and everything relating to Serious Sam Classic and its 2 parts; The First Encounter and The Second Encounter.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2006, 05:35 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

Default Past Mental or Future Mental

Believe it or not I have a question about the (shock) story of Serious Sam.

The one thing I was never clear on was whether Past Mental came to Earth during the game looking for the Sirians, or if Future Mental was sending soldiers back in time to stop Sam.

I've looked over the Netrisca messages and even the background story on this website, but they never specify which Mental is attacking you. If anyone has any information on this it would help me out.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:00 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Awww

SLAwww is offline Send a message via ICQ to SLAwww

Mental lives outside the borders of time and space.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:21 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

I think it's future Mental because Mental attacks Earth in the future Which is the reason why Sam is using the Timelock in the first place, to go back in time to when Earth really needed his help. But of course the Timelock isn't very reliable and can teleport you anywhere and also stop you from taking weapons along
Old 03-31-2006, 12:55 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Awww

SLAwww is offline Send a message via ICQ to SLAwww

Then, if Mental lives in the future, how did his minions get to the past to fight Sam in Egypt?
Old 03-31-2006, 12:56 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Razardous

The Serious Spoon is offline Send a message via ICQ to The Serious Spoon

I think it's the past Mental, as Sam is sent back in time to change the past, when there weren't a lot of aliens yet *cough*

"And yet be reminded by the Gods that though cooperation is a friendly pursuit, friendly fire is righteous in its purging of the vile and corrupt. Let ye not be deserving of its wrath for the hoarding of power-ups."
Old 03-31-2006, 01:13 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAwww
Then, if Mental lives in the future, how did his minions get to the past to fight Sam in Egypt?
Duh, he has his own teleporter just like the Timelock but better. Why do you think you get most enemies teleporting into the area where you are instead of appearing around a corner?

Also Spoon, just read the intro.txt for SS:FE

Quote:
In the year 2104, human civilization
is attacked by countless deadly monsters,
spawned from another dimension.
These are obviously Mental's minions

Last edited by Deepblue; 03-31-2006 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:11 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

I think before this discussion goes any further I should elaborate on some of the backstory (which I guarantee 99% of the Serious Sam fans never read).

Sam, you know that the scientists have been translating these Sirian writings that are all around us here, on the walls, in papyrus documents and on hundreds of crystal disks. That did take decades, and we now know most things of the technology they had, and we use a lot of it. But there are some facts that have been never been revealed to the public. There is one powerful, but very dangerous device that Sirians have left us. The device is not their craft, but rather a work of The Ancient Ones, or maybe even some race older than they are. It is called 'Gana-Og', Urnpool, or the Timelock.

'The nature of it is very complicated and unexplainable. Sirians did not leave any information on how exactly does it work, and we believe that even they didn't know that. But we do know what it does. It enables one to travel back in time. Just that the concept is not as simple as we would like. When one decides to use a Timelock, it has to be placed on a certain place and armed. For arming, it has to be charged from a power source stronger than any one we currently have available. After that, Timelock accumulates the energy in a force field of nature completely unknown to us, but allegedly, it can keep it that way forever. The energy is somehow interlocked with the time-space continuum in that point, and internally to the field, the time stops ticking. The current time of the Timelock's arming is kept that way to be unleashed later. The whole concept is complicated, but what is certain is that, if someone enters the Timelock at any later point in time, and triggers it, the Timelock will unleash the field, bend the time-space and the person will be transported approximately to the time when the Timelock was armed. This does not allow for simple time traveling around whatever way you like, but it does provide you with at least some way to go back in time. It is noticeable that both the Eillians and the Sirians had that device available, but seems that they have never used it. No sane man would ever want to have a thing like that armed, because from then on, he would never know when can someone pop out from the future and mess something up. Allegedly, both the Sirians and the Eillians were afraid to ever arm it, so they couldn't use it to confront the Mental when they needed to

This section explains the Time-Lock. The Time-Lock is set permanently to ancient Egypt and can't be changed to any other time, which means Sam can't go back to when the Syrians were a powerful race and beg them for help.

'The final decision is that you, Sam, should go through the Timelock, sneak Mental, since it is not expecting you, and assassin it, five thousand years ago. Then it would not be able to confront us in the present time. 'Sure so', says Sam, 'but how am I going to kill it, if I'm on Earth, and it is on Sirius?'

'You see', Kowalsky drops in, 'Sirians have had their ship parked on the Titan, so that they cannot go back. But they actually did leave a backdoor. There was a remote control device which could have communicated the ship and bring it back to Earth. But the keys to accessing the controller have been deliberately scattered around Egyptian temples, so that no one person could activate it without being noticed by the Sirians which actually lived there. If you collect all the keys, which are held in the form of the four elements and find operating instructions, you can call the spaceship back from Titan.

'Then', continues major Willowby, 'you can go to any other planet. But, you must not go directly to Sirius, since Mental would notice you. You have to go to another colony on Proxima Centauri, nearest to the Earth, and then use Sirian merchant teleports to transfer from one colony to another and finally to Sky City at Sirius. Hopefully, at that time Mental will be just busy finishing up what was left of the other races around there, and won't even notice one man coming to get at it. Of course, the colonies and the Sky City will be swarming with Mental's forces, but there is no other option.'

This section explains Earth's "plan" which is to sneak up on past mental when he is still attacking Sirius and take him out.

Kowalsky says: 'About the Egypt, we are not sure. It is almost certain that triggering the Timelock will alarm Mental both at present, and in the past. When you come there, its forces might be on their way to the Earth. But they will not know that you are there. They will go primarily to wipe the Sirians, and the Egyptians whose presence will be revealed with that event. Due to the imprecision in the operation of the Timelock, you may get there before the aliens or after them. We don't know. We can just hope you won't be too late to sneak on Mental.

This part should explain which Mental is attacking, but the translation is so bad I can't really understand it. Apparently activating the Time-Lock will alert both Mental in the future and the past, and it will attack Earth looking for the Sirians. Again, however, they don't specify which. Honestly I could go either way, it all depends on how you interpret that last paragraph.

Last edited by esplin; 03-31-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:06 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Razardous

The Serious Spoon is offline Send a message via ICQ to The Serious Spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepblue
Also Spoon, just read the intro.txt for SS:FE

These are obviously Mental's minions
Yeah, I know. But I thought Sam was sent back to the past because not a lot of monsters (*cough* again) were on Earth back then. Which obviously leads to the conclusion that it's the past mental attacking Sam, at least in FE and SE. After all, if the present Mental was going to attack Sam in the past, why would he go the past in the first place? To have both present and past Mental to attack him? That doesn't make sense.

"And yet be reminded by the Gods that though cooperation is a friendly pursuit, friendly fire is righteous in its purging of the vile and corrupt. Let ye not be deserving of its wrath for the hoarding of power-ups."
Old 04-01-2006, 11:30 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Serious Spoon
Yeah, I know. But I thought Sam was sent back to the past because not a lot of monsters (*cough* again) were on Earth back then. Which obviously leads to the conclusion that it's the past mental attacking Sam, at least in FE and SE. After all, if the present Mental was going to attack Sam in the past, why would he go the past in the first place? To have both present and past Mental to attack him? That doesn't make sense.
Actually Serious Spoon their were no monsters on Earth at ALL in Ancient Egypt, which is why we are still alive today.
Mental had not discovered Earth yet, but the Timelock alerted him to Earth's presence.
The funny thing is that in the Second Encounter, Sam keeps jumping forward in time a couple hundred years. Which is probably enough time for Mental to wipe out the entire population of the Earth. Good going Sam.