Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Serious Sam

Serious Sam This is the place to discuss anything that either spans multiple games or doesn't fit with one specific game!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2017, 10:31 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Seriously! Archivist/Slave

Default Serious Sam Timeline Theory

I was going to explain this with images and a video, but I'm terrible with Photoshop and Sony Vegas so I won't bother. Anyway, I've been trying to make sense of all the games and I believe I have found a way to make them all canon (and also color-coded them, so you can connect the analogies more easily). But before we get to that, first we have to understand

How the Timelock works
As we all know, the Sirians armed the Timelock in 3000BC and Sam activated the Timelock to travel back in time after turning it on by supplying power to it from Karnak and Luxor in 2113AD. The two keywords to remember here is "armed" and "activated".

Imagine you turned on your PC to play TFE for the first time without autosaves. You just entered KarnakDemo at 7:00pm and quicksaved there. You play the the level until you reach the last arena at 7:45pm when you quickloaded there. You're now back at the beginning of KarnakDemo, but the time in real life is still 7:45pm instead of 7:00pm. You can experience KarnakDemo again but all your knowledge gained from the previous playthrough remains intact because even though your "unsaved progress" gets erased from existence, you're outside of the game world and therefore real time is unaffected and moves forward as usual.

Next, imagine Sam's watch says "Nov. 22 2113AD, 12:00pm" when he activated the Timelock at the end of SS3. When he got faceplanted into Hatshepsut at the start of TFE which is the time the Sirians armed it, his watch still says "Nov. 22 2113AD, 12:00pm".

Now, replace the words "quicksave" with "armed" and "quickload" with "activated". Like how you're not affected by the deletion of unsaved progress in real life, everything that has happened between the arming of the Timelock and the activation of the Timelock (such as his own birth) isn't exactly deleted, but rather, the state of the world when the Timelock was armed replaces everything in the world when the Timelock is activated except Sam and the Timelock. In other words, he will not cease to exist due to time paradoxes because there is no time paradox as his birth still happened. His experiences are still real because they happened even though everything around him has been changed to how it was in 3000BC; he, his watch, the Timelock, and the Universal Time still moves forward. Therefore, the Timelock doesn't exactly allow Sam to travel back in time by reverting the events that have happened, but rather changes every last atom around Sam to how it was when the Timelock is armed to give the illusion of travelling back in time.

However, this also means that Sam cannot travel back to the "future" he came from, because the "future" is the past now (unless someone armed the Timelock before SS3, which is very unlikely because they fear they might overwrite the original save file by the Sirians).

So here's how things look like if you exist outside of the Timelock's influence:

1. [3000 BC, Universal Year 40000] Hiding from Mental, Sirians armed the Timelock
2. [2104 AD, Universal Year 45104] Sam accidentally reawakened Mental
3. [2113 AD, Universal Year 45113] As the last man on Earth, Sam powers up the Timelock and activated it
4. [3000 BC, Universal Year 45113] Sam arrives in Ancient Egypt, occupied by Mental for some reason

Joining all the games (timelines) together
Now we understand how the Timelock works, but how does it tie into the bigger picture (that is, every Serious Sam game released)?

Alright, you know how your quicksave file remains even after you quickloaded? Now, what if the same applies to the Timelock as well? That would mean that even after Sam activated the Timelock to go to ancient Egypt to go to Sirius to kill Mental, the armed Timelock remains. So what if long after Sam killed Mental and died of testosterone poisoning, some dumbass activated the Timelock again and ended up back into Ancient Egypt when the Sirians armed it? Now that Sam is dead (or even if he's alive, he's not the one standing on the Timelock), everything he did up until that point in time when the dumbass activated the Timelock is considered unsaved progress, and therefore, have its atoms changed until the world is back into how it was like in the 3000BC when last Sirians armed the Timelock. Only the dumbass, the Timelock, and the Universal Time remains unchanged because the Timelock shields him from the outside world during the atom-changing process, and now the dumbass is back into the Ancient Egypt when Mental is still alive. In other words, this means the dumbass revived Mental, and depending on what he does, the world goes through similar events until Sam reawakens Mental again.

Here's how things look like if you exist outside of the Timelock's influence:

1. [3000 BC, Universal Year 40000] Hiding from Mental, Sirians armed the Timelock
2. [2104 AD, Universal Year 45104] Sam accidentally reawakened Mental
3. [2113 AD, Universal Year 45113] As the last man on Earth, Sam powers up the Timelock and activated it
4. [3000 BC, Universal Year 45113] Sam arrives in Ancient Egypt, occupied by Mental for some reason
5. [3000 BC, Universal Year 45113] Sam kills Mental
6. [2012 AD, Universal Year 50125] Dumbass somehow activated the Timelock
7. [3000 BC, Universal Year 50125] Dumbass arrives in Ancient Egypt, where Sirians are hiding from Mental
8. [2104 AD, Universal Year 55229] Sam accidentally reawakens Mental
9. [2113 AD, Universal Year 55238] Chosen by the leaders of a united Earth, Sam activates the Timelock
10. [3000 BC, Universal Year 55238] Sam arrives in Ancient Egypt, occupied by Mental for some reason

See where I'm going with this? As long as nobody arms the Timelock after Sam kills Mental and as long as Croteam wants money dumbasses exist to activate the Timelock again, Mental will always be revived as a side effect and killed by Sam again and again and again. This means that every Sam timeline can be canon because they all exist in the same overarching Universal Time, and the differences between each timeline depends on what the dumbass does after activating the Timelock. The differences include how differently the war between Mental and humanity turned out. Furthermore, how Sam activates the Timelock can affect how differently 3000BC turns out, like how certain monsters look like, due to how unstable the Timelock is.

So now, I'm going to compile a definitive (until Croteam retcons things again) timeline to end all timelines.

1. The Alpha Timeline
After fighting a losing war with Mental, Sam is implanted with Y-Knot and was chosen to be sent to Ancient Egypt to assassinate Mental by activating the Timelock. Because his balls were itchy and he couldn't resist, the Timelock ended up flinging him to Theba City, Ancient Egypt. He successfully completed his mission, but died from VR motion sickness on Sky City, Sirius. Years later, a dumbass unwittingly reactivated the Timelock.

2. The Classic TFE Timeline
Chosen by a council of Earth's last remaining leaders, Sam; along with his cool shades and sleeveless shirt; and Netricsa went to Hatshepsut, Ancient Egypt by activating the Timelock. Because of what the previous dumbass did, Mental forgot to equip Beheaded Sirians with saws and the ability to melee. Sam killed Ugh-Zan and got on the USS Centerpiece, until some dumbass reactivated the Timelock.

3. The Classic TSE Timeline
Chosen by a council of Earth's last remaining leaders, Sam; along with his favorite T-Shirt; and Netricsa went to Hatshepsut, Ancient Egypt by activating the Timelock. Because of what the previous dumbass did, Mental forgot to equip Beheaded Sirians with saws and the ability to melee. Sam killed Ugh-Zan and got on the USS Centerpiece, until Croteam wanted money so they crashed the ship. The crash gave Netricsa a sense of humor and Sam used other Timelocks to get on a huge rocket hidden beneath a cathedral. A dumbass reactivates the Timelock shortly after Sam got on the rocket.

4. The Climax Timeline
Escaping the invasion of Zagreb, Croatia, Sam activated a rather different-looking Timelock to get to Hatshepsut, Ancient Egypt. Because of what the previous dumbass did, Mental forgot to equip Beheaded Sirians with saws and the ability to melee. After beating Ugh-Zan and getting on the USS Centerpiece, Sam founds out that the scientists have armed the Timelock during Mental's invasion of Earth. Sam activates the Timelock to "go back to the future" and then Serious Sam Advance happened. Next Encounter happens after that but after the ending of NE, a scientist unknowingly deleted the save files on the Timelock by accident and only the original one by the Sirians is left. He reactivates the Timelock to see how Ancient Egypt is like, unaware of the fact that he cannot "travel" back to his own time anymore.

5. The Xbox Timeline
Escaping the invasion of Zagreb, Croatia, Sam activated a rather different-looking Timelock to get to Hatshepsut, Ancient Egypt. Because of what the previous dumbass did, Mental forgot to equip Beheaded Sirians with saws and the ability to melee, and Mental eventually retired all of them save for remodeled Kamikazes. Weird things happen and he was summoned by the last surviving Sirians to find the 5 pieces of a Medallion that will make Mental vulnerable. While being chased by an angry Sam after he found out the Medallions are worthless, one of the Sirians reactivated the Timelock to save his ass.

6. The Current Timeline
Humanity is most unprepared and Mental is at his worst in this timeline, and they took far too long to figure out how to power up the Timelock so it can be activated by Team Charlie. Sam successfully powered it up but everyone else died, so he activated the Timelock moments before the Moon hit Earth. Due to the nature of the activation this time around, Sam got a new haircut and tattoo while the Timelock rewrites everything around it and Sam is reunited with his Colts and Knife from previous timelines (that have merged with all previous incarnations to achieve high definition polygons and textures). Furthermore, Ancient Egyptians and Ancient Mayans forgot to imbue certain rooms with gravity-defying magic and Mental finally remembered to give saws to his much higher-definition Beheaded Sirians and taught them how to melee. In the end, he successfully arrived in a Hatshepsut, Ancient Egypt, looking Hi-Definition as fuck.

tl;dr Timelock is the Quicksave and Quickload keys and no matter how many times you Quickload to the Quicksave, real life time is forever constant

Hell, you could probably fit Talos somewhere in there. Anyway, what do you guys think?

Last edited by PikaCommando; 01-31-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:37 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

Default Re: Serious Sam Timeline Theory

That just sounds crazy enough to work.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:30 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Sam went back to 1378 BC. though, not 3000 BC. Most of the cities and monuments in TFE weren't even built yet in 3000 BC.

But yeah, the general idea of how the Timelock works (save and load) is correct and in-fact, canon. There's indeed a way to implement Universal Time to the story to keep everything much simpler, which timetravel itself made it more complicated, so that's a nice idea. Though there are other functions of the Timelock that's not detailed here, nor revealed anywhere else yet.

The rest are, of course, bullshit. Especially the existence of this very contrived "dumbass" character.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.

Last edited by Solais; 01-31-2017 at 04:45 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:33 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Unless in 3000 BC mental went back in time and forced the Egyptians to build it faster or earlier. But that dumbass reminds me of that small guy on next encounter that keeps jumping around I forgot the things name.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:38 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

I think there's a lot of pretty colors in this thread

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 01-31-2017, 01:52 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

Pretty interesting reading with some valid points and possibilities. It's both ironic and sad that I started to write a similar article about Timelock (only for Russian community) a couple of months ago but eventually hit the hiatus. The part with "dumbass" guy is too silly and nonsensical though, as Solais mentioned, even though I had a similar theory, including various alternate timelines; it's just too tempting to include all the other non-canon games to one universal timeline, so I understand your desire Still, some things are uncleared yet due to the lack of info, especially when you remember that Time Switch concept that was cut from SS3. I think it may or may not bring some new interesting facts about the way Timelock works, especially if Croteam decides to reuse it some day again.
Cheers.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:01 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

I don't see the problem with the dumbass character, since the very contrived existence of one (group of them) is what caused TSE to happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
Unless in 3000 BC mental went back in time and forced the Egyptians to build it faster or earlier. But that dumbass reminds me of that small guy on next encounter that keeps jumping around I forgot the things name.
That's Evil Sam.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:56 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

Thank you, PikaCommando, for encouraging Croteam, or even Solais, concerning SS timeline. For some time, I have been drawing (and erasing) SS timeline and I haven't post anything since.

Along with this, I have been trying to play with Mental's timeline too, since Mental has been "ahead" of SS in gathering armies and technologies (including such BC ancient Egypt having such those technologies possible, including spaceships and wrap drives). So, in sense, I had both SS and Mental on the same sheet... it's little hard since all those colors and crossovers?

There's more... anyone started a draft? Mine is all toss out.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:31 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

Well, I also started making a picture of the entire SS universe timeline (including spin-offs), like, more than half an year ago, but put it on hold.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:55 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

For the next entry in "shit you'd never find outside of Seriously! in a million years".
Old 02-04-2017, 04:22 AM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

There's an official canonical timeline actually, created recently to keep track of things. Obviously, it can't be released yet as it contains events from future games, but there's one now. However, the timeline when it comes to the main games have been ever discussed on this forum before, and it is still the same. The only spin-off game that very barely can fit into the canon is Serious Sam's Bogus Detour.

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
There's an official canonical timeline actually, created recently to keep track of things. Obviously, it can't be released yet as it contains events from future games, but there's one now.
Comon now... you got the technologies... EXPOSE the travel TIMELINE up to the point (in game, pdf, paper, whatever), then when next SS come out (like SS4 after SSV?), the timeline would be updated to keep up with the gasps.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:07 AM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Okay.

TLH -> SS4 -> SS3 -> TFE -> TSE

There.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:34 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

How about Next Encounter, Double D XXL and Bogus Detour?
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 02-05-2017, 10:23 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

Quote:
TLH -> SS4 -> SS3 -> TFE -> TSE
What? I aren't buying VR to experience TLH. All official canon SS are to be playable in PC environment.

Last edited by CNT; 02-05-2017 at 01:48 PM. Reason: "PC environment" meaning with computer monitor and keyboard/mouse
Old 02-05-2017, 03:11 PM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Next Encounter and Double D would be more in line with the continuity of SS2.

Bogus Detour can possibly be semi-canon, we'll have to see at release.

CNT: VR is PC environment.

Last edited by Solais; 02-05-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:54 PM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais
CNT: VR is PC environment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam
Notice: Requires a virtual reality headset. See the VR Support section for more info.
sigh...
Old 02-06-2017, 01:12 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
There's an official canonical timeline actually
Which this isn't so... point?
Old 02-06-2017, 04:02 AM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

I don't think the xbox version counted as the timeline, as before Sam went in the teleporter to Egypt, he was in a city (as I recall). Though whether or not the xbox version is counted i'm not one hundred percent sure what was before Hatshesput on SS1 besides BFE... I also wonder what will happen after the second encounter and where he will go in the spaceship (e.g. does it go back into space, does it slam into one of mentals floating pyramids in the atmosphere and then crash who knows).. Then again Serious Sam may of travelled to many different planets before going back and forward in time.. Eventually there should be a time rip if this keeps happening (e.g. after Second Encounter).. Like mental eventual causing the collapse of the entire universe..
Old 02-06-2017, 04:44 AM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

SS Xbox is not canon.

Old 02-06-2017, 09:24 AM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
#AltFurry

Valerie Valens is offline Send a message via AIM to Valerie Valens

I have a timeline theory, it's pretty messy. But it describes timelines, splitting, merging, forming loops, ending in either a class-XT event (Extinction of sentient life.) or a class-XU event (Extinction of the universe event, either by vacuum energy collapse from trying to harness exotic energy sources, or that timeline's instance of Mental simply being able to destroy everything. ) I'd point Sam's time period to be somewhere around 1/3rds of the way from the left.

http://i.imgur.com/145VeQJ.jpg
Old 02-06-2017, 11:04 AM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie Valens View Post
I have a timeline theory, it's pretty messy.
That's COMPLEXITY

Following is more links to only confuse you more... LINK LINK LINK etc
Old 02-09-2017, 09:53 AM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Mental vs Sam in Time Wars, constantly criss-crossing paths and undoing and redoing time possibly ending up a never-ending battle
I wonder what happens if Sam did eventually age... But year wise, I think his age is probably unidentified.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
#AltFurry

Valerie Valens is offline Send a message via AIM to Valerie Valens

The theory is that Sam is just an avatar of the will of the creator, and as Mental pops up over and over again, so will another "Sam" this would also explain the different Sam skins that we play as. The thing is though, not all Sams are victorious.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:59 PM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

YouTube Video: Logan's X-Men Timeline

Need more help?
Old 04-03-2017, 12:36 PM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

How's the timeline design progress? Hopefully it doesn't need 4'x8' drywall sheet.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Who are ya askin'? I think mine's pretty conclusive and doesn't need to be added upon anymore.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:52 AM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

How's the timeline design progress?
Old 05-02-2017, 11:54 AM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

I think I've done all I could up to this point. Guess I'll update the first post once SS4 is out.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:09 PM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

Pinka... can you draw?