Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam Revolution

Serious Sam Revolution An updated and streamlined version of Serious Sam Classic featuring a combined campaign, new multiplayer features, Steamworks, VAC, and a lot more.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Default [NEWS] Developer Blog 4: OpenGL and shaders

(Originally posted at: http://samrev.com/?p=8)

Hello again and welcome to yet another developer blog by Mischie-... nope, wait, I just got word that Angelo is feeling better, so I'm going to give the keyboard to him and let him ramble on!

http://samrev.com/files/du2tp3uz.png

Today, I want to talk a little bit about graphics. Specifically, OpenGL. In Serious Sam Classic you could change the graphics API between OpenGL and Direct3D. For Serious Sam Revolution, we have decided to drop support for Direct3D entirely. We've done this for a number of reasons, one in particular is that the 2 programmers that work on this project (am I talking in third person?) are not engine programmers, so we couldn't be bothered to maintain graphics APIs for both Direct3D and OpenGL, since it would take way too much time with way too little gain. With that being said, the other reason we've dropped Direct3D support is because OpenGL is backwards (and forwards) compatible, meaning that we can use 4.4 API calls (for example) in the current implementation without majorly redoing the entire graphics code. Getting D3D9 in a D3D8 application is a lot more complex, and potentially not even worth the trouble, since most (if not all) graphic cards nowadays support a decent enough version of OpenGL.

Okay, moving on. Enough about Direct3D. Blegh, Microsoft. (Just kidding, I'm still a fan of their products.) What about OpenGL? What have we done to improve the graphics? So far we've mostly toyed around with shaders, and implementing it into the game in a way that level designers can use these shaders in however way they wish.

We currently support vertex and fragment shaders for 2 things: models and post processing. Now what I can show you here is limited, mainly because I am not a shader programmer~ uh.. I mean.. mathemagician. But despite me not capable of writing amazing shaders, this should still get you excited that you will be able to potentially use this in your levels!

Since a lot of regular people are reading this who probably don't know a lot about GLSL, I'm going to explain a little bit of how it exactly works, and what would be the exact potential for your levels. Let's go over a fairly simple and basic post processing shader first. We have a Post Processing Effect entity in our world, which we have given the following fragment shader:

Code:
#version 330 core

in vec2 UV;
out vec4 outColor;
uniform sampler2D screen;

void main()
{
  // main color
  vec4 col = texture(screen, UV);

// switch red and blue values around
  float red = col.x;
  col.x = col.z;
  col.z = red;

// use that color
  outColor = col;
}
What the above shader does is take a pixel from the screen at the given UV coordinates, then switch around the red and blue values in the pixel, and then put it back in its place. Fairly simple, right? In our PP Effect entity, we've set the range to about 4 meters, so we can step in and out of the range of the entity. Here's the result:

http://samrev.com/files/jek2wjz7.jpg

Now this shader is just the most basic shader you could probably think of. Most shaders are a lot more complex and confusing, as you can see at the amazing site Shadertoy (warning: this site might freeze your browser while it loads) Here's an example of a more complex shader that I wrote - I use the word "complex" as a relative term here - that uses the "distance" uniform to get the player's distance to the entity:

Code:
#version 330 core

in vec2 UV;
out vec4 outColor;
uniform sampler2D screen;
uniform vec2 resolution;
uniform float distance;

const float pi = 3.1415926;
const float pi2 = 1.5707963;

vec4 lerp(vec4 a, vec4 b, float x) {
  return a + (b - a) * x;
}

void main()
{
  vec4 col = texture(screen, UV);
  vec4 sum = vec4(0);
  for(int x = -4; x <= 4; x++) {
    for(int y = -4; y <= 4; y++) {
      sum += texture(screen, vec2(
        UV.x + x * (1.0 / resolution.x),
        UV.y + y * (1.0 / resolution.y))) / 81.0;
    }
  }
  float delta = abs(sin(UV.x * pi + pi2)) / (distance / 21.4791f);
  outColor = lerp(col, vec4(sum.xyz, 1), delta);
}
The result of this is as seen below:

http://samrev.com/files/bknob700.jpg

Just for the heck of it, I decided to take a random shader from Shadertoy and use it as a Post Processing shader, just to show what you can do with this:

http://samrev.com/files/re7nvhay.jpg

Pretty, isn't it? I recommend you stroll around Shadertoy if you're interested in this kind of thing. That website is full of great demos, and it even has a WebGL playground where you can write your own shaders right in your browser.

Oh, and you like gif animations, right? I'm sure you do. Here, have one.

http://4o4.nl/57kE8Ps.gif

And ofcourse it also works on model holders, though I have yet to think of a decent example for that, so more on that later, I guess!

http://samrev.com/files/22hgu164.jpg

On a more technical note, I should list the currently available uniform variables.
  • (PP only) sampler2D screen - the screen texture
  • (PP only) vec3 velocityrel - relative player velocity
  • (PP only) vec3 velocityabs - absolute player velocity
  • (PP only) float distance - distance between player and PP entity
  • (PP only) vec2 resolution - screen resolution
  • float time - time in seconds since the shader started
  • float paramN[0-4] - configurable parameters in entity

Well, that's that. I believe this will open up a lot of possibilities in new and interesting gameplay, considering we've also been working on scriptabi~ uhh, I mean.. that's for a later developer blog.

What do you think? Does this inspire you? What would you like to see modders do with this? Post it in the comments below!

Until next week - Angelo the catt out.

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)

Last edited by Scratch; 12-01-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
「HORY SHET」

Default Re: [NEWS] Developer Blog 4: OpenGL and shaders

Programming-technical gibberish aside, what does abandoning D3D for GL mean for framerate and low-end users such as myself? ARE YOU GOING TO INCLUDE AN FOV SLIDER?

(Yeah, I'm genuinely curious and have absolutely no idea)

Edit: also, this bright-green slimy thing in the fifth screenshot looks like an enormous, phosphorescent condom. Or a dildo.

Last.fm | MyAnimeList.net
S!'s MVP (Most Valuable Pole)

Last edited by Sedinus; 12-01-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:34 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

That green thing looks like something out of Aliens.

Anywho very fascinating, love seeing stuff like this. I look forward to what you do with it in the end to spice up the graphical quality of SS:R
Old 12-02-2013, 03:26 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedinus View Post
ARE YOU GOING TO INCLUDE AN FOV SLIDER?
There'll be a FOV slider and I want to convince the guys that when set to maximum, instead of the number, it just says "Cynical Brit Level". Or "Tophat".

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:23 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Quote:
Programming-technical gibberish aside, what does abandoning D3D for GL mean for framerate and low-end users such as myself? ARE YOU GOING TO INCLUDE AN FOV SLIDER?

(Yeah, I'm genuinely curious and have absolutely no idea)

Edit: also, this bright-green slimy thing in the fifth screenshot looks like an enormous, phosphorescent condom. Or a dildo.
No, performance wise you shouldn't notice any (significant) difference, especially on today's computers. With older computers I've always noticed OpenGL to be faster than Direct3D, either way.

I'm also planning to look into replacing the deprecated immediate OGL functions with state functions, which should significantly improve performance as well.

Also, see the comments on that Shadertoy submission, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
There'll be a FOV slider and I want to convince the guys that when set to maximum, instead of the number, it just says "Cynical Brit Level". Or "Tophat".
"Quake Pro" it is.

CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 12-02-2013, 05:45 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

"Quake Pro" is like the fov of around 120-140. I'm talking about a FOV of 180-360 or infinite. (10:21, if the link doesn't work)

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.

Last edited by Solais; 12-02-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

Impressive.

May the Code Wizards be with you.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
「HORY SHET」

Playing with FOV greater than 140 is a bit excessive, don't you think? There's a reason why games limit it to either 110 or 120 - any more and your view will become distorted, creating eye-fatiguing tunnel vision and making you feel like a pilot of the Millennium Falcon that is about to enter hyperspace.

Here, have a chart I made at work.

http://i.imgur.com/8A4mRex.png

Last edited by Sedinus; 12-02-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Some Qs.

Will the game be able to detect switchable graphics since it is now using OGL? Many OpenGL games, at least on the AMD side, simply refuse to run on the dedicated graphics card for some magic reason. Could also be solved by having a launcher that lets you select which graphics card to run the game on. SS1 is old enough that it probably doesn't matter if it runs on a weaker integrated card, but with all these shader effects being implemented and all...and the fact that some laptops have even slower intel cards...having it run on the dedicated card would be a necessity.

Will the game support Crossfire/SLI?

Last edited by Finzy; 12-02-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:44 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Me? Serious? How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finzy View Post
SS1 is old enough that it probably doesn't matter if it runs on a weaker integrated card, but with all these shader effects being implemented and all...and the fact that some laptops have even slower intel cards...having it run on the dedicated card would be a necessity
I have trouble running TSE [Not TFE] on this thing, and it has an Intel "HD" Graphics card.

That being said, this update looks snazzy. Can't wait to see it in game!
Old 12-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

@Sedinus: Saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finzy View Post
Some Qs.

Will the game be able to detect switchable graphics since it is now using OGL? Many OpenGL games, at least on the AMD side, simply refuse to run on the dedicated graphics card for some magic reason. Could also be solved by having a launcher that lets you select which graphics card to run the game on. SS1 is old enough that it probably doesn't matter if it runs on a weaker integrated card, but with all these shader effects being implemented and all...and the fact that some laptops have even slower intel cards...having it run on the dedicated card would be a necessity.

Will the game support Crossfire/SLI?
I had to look up the answer to your question and ask around a bit on freenode to find out what exactly decides which adapter is used for contexts by default, and it seems to be controlled by Windows somehow. Probably also depends a lot on the drivers you have installed, which often have settings on which adapter to use per process.

Either way, there is no reliable way for the game to pick which adapter it uses. (Except this one for Nvidia cards, which I could implement if it's high demand) Though: I've had problems running Serious Sam Revolution on my laptop (which has an Intel Integrated card and a Geforce GT 650M) back when we still had Direct3D, and it would die because D3D decided to use the integrated card. Running the game with OpenGL would work fine, though. The game always uses the Geforce card on my laptop.

Because I assume you run with AMD, did you check this?:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freenode/##OpenGL
<japro> on my laptop with amd/intel i can change the gpu -> application association in the driver panel
Regarding crossfire/SLI: Unfortunately I don't have a machine here to test that on, but if you're willing to donate one...

Last edited by Scratch; 12-02-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Quote:
Playing with FOV greater than 140 is a bit excessive, don't you think? There's a reason why games limit it to either 110 or 120 - any more and your view will become distorted, creating eye-fatiguing tunnel vision and making you feel like a pilot of the Millennium Falcon that is about to enter hyperspace.

Here, have a chart I made at work.

<snip>
Cool image! On the other hand, I know that anything above 120 is a bit silly. My suggestion was just a joke, a reference to the youtube video I posted.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

You forget that FOV also depends on things like monitor size, distance from monitor, and aspect ratio. For example, now I want to buy three 32" TVs and use them as an Eyefinity group, while sitting about a meter away. With a setup like this, I will definitely need a FOV of about 140-150 for the same comfort of playing with a FOV of 110 on a single one of these TVs.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
「HORY SHET」

Yeah, that chart was meant for a standard 16:9 screen on a PC. Forgot to mention.

Old 12-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

Mah mistake.

Last edited by Gnaarwarian; 12-02-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:27 PM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

What? It was never net-compatible with Serious Sam Classic to begin with Not sure what you are talking about.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
</3

King of the Cathedral

What is FOV?
Old 12-03-2013, 07:12 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

Field of View

Description http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_of_view

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...FovCompare.jpg
Old 12-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

that one shader you show in the gif looks like it could be used for a cool portal-exiting sequence, maybe slightly modified
Old 12-04-2013, 05:06 AM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Zumbul

Just don't use any shaders when we get hit that would obstruct our vision. That will be super annoying. If it is possible add attack indicator like in SS3.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Weapon fov needs to fix~
Old 12-05-2013, 05:00 AM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsf001 View Post
Weapon fov needs to fix~
Explain?

Old 12-06-2013, 01:50 AM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
Explain?
The hand has been cut off while running in wide screen resolution

4:3:
http://www.wsgf.org/f/u/contrib/dr/164/ingame_4x3.jpg

16:9:
http://www.wsgf.org/f/u/contrib/dr/164/ingame_16x10.jpg

It seems that changing player's fov doesn't effect the weapon position, don't know if it's possible to fix this..

Last edited by nsf001; 12-06-2013 at 02:04 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:24 AM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Ah, like that. You know, I never even noticed that. Thanks!

Old 12-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

You haven't? Why do I remember you saying that you've already fixed this? Another note then, switching to sniper rifle returns your fov to 90, also in wider fov settings, meshes switch to lower LODs sooner. Good example the central small pyramid thingie in the big open space on valley of the jaguar, you can see it well detailed from a far with 90 fov, but with 110 it is ugly until you get very close. But for some reason I remember you saying you've fixed all that already.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Thanks, but we already got those.

Old 12-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
</3

King of the Cathedral

Will be next blogs?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:32 PM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Soon™

Old 12-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

No blog again this week
Old 12-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

isn't it obvious? ssr is
the next great vaporware to go along with hl2:e3 and doom 4, as prey, dnf, bms, and the others have already been released
being worked on so hard and so many features are being added that it would be impossible to write about it at this point!