Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Off Topic Forum

Off Topic Forum Discuss anything and everything in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #31   Add To Ignore List  

Default Re: Learning a foreign language?

What is that food called, If I translate it word by word means Maygar Salami, in English? It is delicious.

I think SLAwww's point is learning English for a human who doesn't know any language is easier. Because it has an easier sentence structure and has lesser weird letter mutations.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:38 AM   #32   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

That might be, but the English grammar is full of exceptions, its sentence structure can be confusing and its pronunciation is completely random, thanks to the many words the language borrowed from other languages.

For a human who doesn't know any language, it doesn't matter which language they will learn, they will pick it up the same, it's been proven. (Especially by that one weird case when they actually found a living Maugli, as in, a man raised by animals, speaking no language.)

Salami in English? Hmm, from what I know, it -is- called as "salami". And yes it is delicious, I eat some every day.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:41 AM   #33   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
You mean, terrorized the whole of Europe and managed to get a giant country in the middle of the continent, held back the Osman Empire and saved Europe by the cost of 2/3rds of the country, and many Hungarian scientists have invented quite important technologies even used today. And Attila was a Hun, yes, an alliance of a number of nomad tribes, including both Hungarians and Turkish.

Your point? All countries of Europe shaped the history of Europe, there weren't any of them that were more important than the rest.
Which Technologies, Where and When developed?

My Point is simple: English, French, Spain, Portuguese and Russian are World languages? Hungarian language isn't.

German has Speakers in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and South of Tirol (part of North Italy).
Old 09-11-2014, 10:51 AM   #34   Add To Ignore List  

English's randomness today and adaptation it had had by years really helps. Old English is hard.

Why is it called Macar Salam in Turkish?
Old 09-11-2014, 11:23 AM   #35   Add To Ignore List  
Awww

SLAwww is offline Send a message via ICQ to SLAwww

Quote:
I wouldn't say if it's really more to learn = harder.
Try learning a foreign language other than English before saying that.
For every single exception in English, there is a hundred of them in Russian and sometimes a dozen more in Ukrainian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target-UPnP
I think SLAwww's point is learning English for a human who doesn't know any language is easier.
Let me put it this way. If a person speaks Russian, he will spend less effort learning English than an English-speaking person would have to spend to learn Russian.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #36   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target-UPnP View Post
English's randomness today and adaptation it had had by years really helps. Old English is hard.

Why is it called Macar Salam in Turkish?
Dunno. The word is actually of Italian origin, called "salame" there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAwww View Post
Try learning a foreign language other than English before saying that.
For every single exception in English, there is a hundred of them in Russian and sometimes a dozen more in Ukrainian.

Let me put it this way. If a person speaks Russian, he will spend less effort learning English than an English-speaking person would have to spend to learn Russian.
I did learn other languages, though I never finished my studies with them, so my ability of them is below basic. But I think I get the gist of linguistics, after all, I'm also rookie English teacher and I had to study extensive linguistics for that.

And for the last statement, is there a statistics or some study to back that up, or is it just your opinion?

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #37   Add To Ignore List  
Awww

Here, googled in a second. Variants of one word in English, and then all of its possible variations in Russian: http://slavyanskaya-kultura.ru/uploa...9396d759cf.jpg
Old 09-11-2014, 01:29 PM   #38   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Seems like suffix compounding, similar to my language; it's a sign of an agglutinative language, though Russian is actually a Fusional language, similar to German. That doesn't mean the language itself is harder, because after all, just from the looks of it, the base word seems to be unchanging, only the compounds change. That's your language's "a/an/is/the" whatever words. It's a similar system, but seems more difficult from a distance because it seems like they are all different words and you actually have to learn all of them, when in fact, that is not the case.

Just a guess there, but a similar list could be written from English words as well, if you take the prefixes and compounds as part of the word. So you would have things like: "is running", "are running", "was running," "were running", etc, etc.

Last edited by Solais; 09-11-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:44 PM   #39   Add To Ignore List  
Awww

That list would be quite complicated, the prefixes and suffixes stand for different situations like, "to finally run into some place" and "to reach some place by running" would create different forms of the word "run", even though their English interpretations seem almost similar. The quantity of such variations is way greater than the quantity of possible cases with the same word in English. And there's more to add to the difficulty.
Old 09-11-2014, 04:34 PM   #40   Add To Ignore List  
Seasons Smashings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetroid View Post
Little update on this:

I've been using the site www.duolingo.com for about three weeks now, and I've learned quite a lot! It's a really fun platform.

I also found out that unfortunately I won't be able to take a free German course at my University this year, as there are no free 'slots' on my timetable. I will be able to next year, though!
The quickest and easiest way to learn another language jetroid, or ANYTHING for that matter is to know your learning style. I for example learn easiest through application; with effort and application, I am confident I can learn anything. Find your particular learning style and apply that to your language, and it will catch on to you before you know it.
Quote:
To you, maybe. To others, it might be not. It's all perspective.

Some say that Chinese or Japanese are the hardest to learn, but for me, the Japanese is super simple. (Not Chinese though.)

It also depends on the mother language of the individual. Those who have a mother language from the Indo-European family, they can find other Indo-European languages easier to learn, and that includes both Slavic and Germanic. People with a Germanic language might have problems learning a Slavic one, and vice versa, but then both would have problems learning an Uralic language like mine.
Solais, Chinese alone proves your statement wrong, because Chinese is quite literally the hardest language there is, and this is coming from a Native Japanese speaker with decent knowledge of mandarin, Chinese is HARD. There is no perspective with that.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:34 PM   #41   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Yes, the Chinese language normally comes up a lot as well, but from what I've learned from my linguistics professors, they claimed that the Chinese is really mostly perspective as well. A quick search on the net also gives articles and studies claiming the same.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:48 PM   #42   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
but from what I've learned from my linguistics professors
Factual inaccuracy identification number 1

Quote:
and studies claiming
Factual inaccuracy identification number 2
Old 09-11-2014, 07:01 PM   #43   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Why would it be a factual inaccuracy if there are many studies about it and it's taught in universities? I'm sure there are many things they claim that are not true, but as far as I know, they are places and items of knowledge and research. It would be pretty foolish to disregard the works of professionals and researchers.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:09 AM   #44   Add To Ignore List  
Awww

Summary: if you're looking for an easy language to learn, don't trust Solais.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:05 AM   #45   Add To Ignore List  

How to Identify Factual Inaccuracies
Any statement that:
Begins with: "Studies show"
Begins with: "My fellow Americans"
Begins with: "Some say/Some have stated"
Begins with: "My client is clearly"
Begins with: "I was talkin with my girlfriend/buttbuddy(moar likely)/rapist(even moar likely)"
Begins with: "I'm not a (racist, sexist, homophobe, lawyer, doctor, nigger, Scientologist etc.), but..." (See also: dubious disclaimer)
Begins with or contains the phrase: "It's obvious that"
Begins with: "Trust me I know"
Begins with: "At the end of the day..."
Begins with: "The state of the union is strong..."
Begins with: "In the bible" or "It says in the bible"
Has a woman saying that she didn't want to be raped.
Ends with the phrase: "It's true, they tested it on Mythbusters."
Ends with the phrase: "True story." For black persons, synonyms are "Chunk", "On God", "Real Talk", or "On my Momma/bird/dead [insert family member]."
Is taught at an educational establishment.
Appears in a movie based on a "True story".
Appears in anything animated.
Anything to do with Japan/Anime.

Note: please keep your "heavily biased" comments for yourselves

Last edited by Targ3t; 09-12-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:26 AM   #46   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Also known as: Nihilism.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:07 AM   #47   Add To Ignore List  

So you already went defend mode, started calling me things, instead of saying nothing opposite. Nice dodge.
You will be a very good professor, yeah, If you're thinking about such thing.

Last edited by Targ3t; 09-12-2014 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:22 AM   #48   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Where did I call you things again? I just believe that having such a list that basically says that you shouldn't believe anything is akin to Nihilism. While I'm a generally sceptical person, I wouldn't carry myself such a list, because extreme scepticism can lead to extreme ignorance as well. That list basically says we need no schools at all, which is frankly, not something I can support. Yes, many things they teach you might be outdated or biased or both, but I wouldn't say that all they teach is a lie. Being sceptical is good, yes, nothing is true. But that doesn't mean that you should throw away everything you've been taught, what have been researched and studied.

Last edited by Solais; 09-12-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #49   Add To Ignore List  

You are asking me to share dangerous information.
Yeah, math and math related science 'n stuff is not a lie.

Last edited by Targ3t; 09-12-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:12 AM   #50   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

On the other hand, human sciences are based on quite very subjective matter, so there are different views and theories. There's really no objective truth there like with math, but semi-objective studies and experiments and theories.