Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2007, 10:17 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Default Oniblade: Serious Action from Russia

Hiya. Haven't been hanging around here nearly as much as I ought to...

Here's a little heads-up to compensate (not much, but worth a thread IMO)
There's this Russian developer called Gaijin. They've been working on a lot of projects lately (almost too many, I'd say), from car racing to FPS to fantasy...

One of them drew my attention, though: Oniblade. No English text, sorry. If you ask me to translate, I might.
Before I tell you more, have a look at the screenshots and gameplay trailer (über-hi-res XviD, 56 MB) and maybe you'll get the idea already.

YouTube Video: Oniblade - Gameplay trailer

(Here's the FileFront mirror for the trailer, could DL a bit faster than from Gaijin's server...)

So?

Basically, there's an engine that renders gorgeous SE-like scenery and FX. And a game style that's pretty close to good old SS:FE and SS:SE...
(little big hordes of little big enemies attacking you with reasonably simple patterns, and you have to kill'em all)
...except there's less firepower and more melee (as far as I can tell, melee is reduced to lethal slashing and blasts: no blunt hits, knockdowns etc). And magic

There's an RPG element (upgrades of attacks), but so far it certainly looks like Oniblade has that same arcade feel that permeates the Serious Sam series. The emphasis is on arcade fun.

And the heroine is sweet (a little bit too sweet, maybe ). The animation system is not as varied and sophisticated as that of Oni (my favorite game and primary post-development endeavour), but it's OK.

Actually, Oniblade is pretty much like a crossing of Oni and Serious Sam, two games I like for their unique gaming experience (and messy development ).

P.S. I certainly hope SE3 will be up to emulating such gameplay (if not Oni's). Any ETA on the public SDK?

P.P.S. I won't be here daily, but I'll do my best to keep an eye on this thread, in case there's a followup.

P.P.P.S. As for my Serious projects, they're not dead, they just need some... tweaking.

P.P.P.P.S. Rather digest mini-reviews of Oni on IMDb

Last edited by geyser; 02-26-2007 at 06:15 AM.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:21 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Folding for Sam!

sURFNmADNESS is offline Send a message via AIM to sURFNmADNESS Send a message via MSN to sURFNmADNESS
Default Re: Oniblade: Serious Action from Russia

Looks like a Russian version of Laura Croft. Looks like very cool graphics.

BTW, she pushes the rules for Serious Zone content by wearing a thong.

Seriouszone's Folding Stats on Extreme to see which team is going to get passed next.
Individual team member stats: see who on your own team you can pass next.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than of blind-folded fear."- Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
blahblahblah

--Fragman-- is offline Send a message via ICQ to --Fragman-- Send a message via AIM to --Fragman-- Send a message via MSN to --Fragman--

I don't like her, looks like too much anime

--------------------------
My Page!
Old 02-23-2007, 12:08 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
BTW, she pushes the rules for Serious Zone content by wearing a thong.
I knew you were going to say that... Well, she's wearing other... stuff on top of it.
And it's a not-too-high-poly model without "excessive" realism at the crotch, so I figured the thong was OK.
I'd certainly think twice before linking to Elexis Sinclaire from SiN:Episodes (to the happy few who know her)

On planet Oni, there's never too much anime But I know what you mean: she's a bit overdone (a bit like Lara, yeah). That's what I called "too sweet".

The main difference with Lara is the dominant role of swordfighting. I can't believe Tomb Raider doesn't have any melee after all those years...
(actually, upon trying Tomb Raider Legend, I was appalled at all the "features": you'd expect them to have mastered the genre by now, but no...)
As far as battles go, I'd say it's definitely of the Serious Sam breed rather than Tomb Raider. Large areas, waves on enemies, semi-bosses and bosses, and on the whole a straightforward, gorgeous arcade experience... Not to mention the exotic/wacky scenery and opponents. It's Second Encounter with swords, I tell you

Last announced release date was 1st quarter 2007. Last media was disclosed in September 2006. So there's still hope.
I'd hate this one to have the same fate as Strident (also anime, but hopefully not "too much" for Fragman)

Last edited by geyser; 02-23-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 05:15 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Razardous

The Serious Spoon is offline Send a message via ICQ to The Serious Spoon

Those screenies look cool, but this gameplay video is taking ages to download :/

"And yet be reminded by the Gods that though cooperation is a friendly pursuit, friendly fire is righteous in its purging of the vile and corrupt. Let ye not be deserving of its wrath for the hoarding of power-ups."
Old 02-23-2007, 06:02 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
this gameplay video is taking ages to download :/
Well, it's überhigh quality. And it's hosted in Russia.
There's a FileFront mirror for it, maybe I should have pointed to that one instead. Doing that now.

While you're at it, check out the Strident trailer
(mirrored on oni2.net, links to original sources at bottom of page).
No gameplay, though.

YouTube Video: Strident trailer

And for the hell of it (in case you never heard of Oni before), here are the two trailers: 1998; 1999.

YouTube Video: Oni - 1998 trailer

(no ingame action, but some animations made it in the final game)

YouTube Video: Oni - 1999 trailer

(mostly in-engine stuff, but many features didn't make the final cut)

Last edited by geyser; 07-18-2007 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:07 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Pony Fanatic

ChJees is offline Send a message via MSN to ChJees

Not much armor to save the world with . Could they at least put on more protection on her ?

Heroine says: "Die foul beasts!"
*Monster dashes and crushes every bone in her*

Old 02-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Right... Sam's T-shirt and jeans offer a lot more protection...
It's not realistic. Serious Sam breed, I told you...
Old 02-23-2007, 06:44 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Pony Fanatic

Sam has much more appropiate clothing .
Anyway, i wonder if this game has great gameplay?
Old 02-23-2007, 06:48 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Smokin' Bones

I agree with what everyone says about the nice lady -- too much anime influence.

But I will say that the rest of it (backgrounds, arenas, etc) look pretty damned good. Reminds me very much of F.A.K.K. 2. The scenery was magnificent, in it's day. The gameplay was a bit rough.

Still, it's got potential. I wonder if there's combo moves, like in the original Oni?

BTW, does anyone besides me know what Gaijin means?
Old 02-23-2007, 07:29 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Better than default

Tessai is offline Send a message via AIM to Tessai Send a message via Yahoo to Tessai

Looks like lots of fun! I too really enjoyed Oni.

I disagree with the others in this thread. I think the anime look fits her well. Fighting in a thong does make me LOL, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.PUNCH IN THE FACE
I'm a bad influence on children. Childrens damn fault for being influenced by me.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:31 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Razardous

The Serious Spoon is offline Send a message via ICQ to The Serious Spoon

Just watched the gameplay vid and I must say it looks pretty fun

Though I can't believe I spent 3 hours downloading a 1.5 mins movie clip

"And yet be reminded by the Gods that though cooperation is a friendly pursuit, friendly fire is righteous in its purging of the vile and corrupt. Let ye not be deserving of its wrath for the hoarding of power-ups."
Old 02-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

0) To anyone who hasn't DLd the trailer yet, use the FileFront link in the topic starter. As for you, Spoon, I guess your case just goes to show that me and the screenshots did a good job
1) Oniblade is absolutely not inspired by Oni, nor is Gaijin affiliated with Bungie or Take 2 or whoever. So I wouldn't expect throws or blunt hit combos (kicks and punches). Knockdowns, maybe.
2) The preview says the combat system offers a wide range of combos with only 2 combat keys. Just like in Oni, I expect directional hits, running hits, and an extra special or two. Plus gunplay.
3) As a hyperdedicated Oni fan who's spent some time digging through Japanese lexicon, I happen to know what gaijin means
4) Interestingly, the logo of the Gaijin studio is a snail: maybe a subtle hint at their release rate, something like "quality takes time". Hopefully nothing to do with the FPS
5) As for the looks of the heroine, heh, love it or leave it. They're definitely borrowing from games like Final Fantasy X and they're doing it pretty well, considering Russia is not Japan.
6) For anyone who's enjoyed Oni, HERE is where gather those who are still enjoying it.

Last edited by geyser; 02-23-2007 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:40 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Serious Xmas 2009!!

Wytas is offline Send a message via MSN to Wytas

Wow, this game looks awesome!! And graphics really looks.. erm.. SAMish
I'm downloading the trailer right now.

EDIT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQiEJxCykUs

Very cool1!!!!11one!!!111!1

New projects!
• A sequel to one of my maps o_O
• Serious Sam crazy!™
Old 02-24-2007, 01:41 PM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Voice of Sam

I like the look of the character. It's so over the top skimpy that it's almost a parody of itself. The gameplay looks like it could be promising. If there's special moves and combos, like there were in Oni, then I can see it being really fun. Also, it'd be nice to see the environment be open and explorable, like in the First and Second encounters.

I guess I'm saying that the game could go either way at this point, but it's got my attention.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:53 PM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Added YouTube link to first post. Thanks for pointing it out, Wytas. I only noticed watching the YT version: a sideways roll at 0:16 !!!
(BTW, HauntedPalace rocks; I only play from the Editor, so it's a bit too Serious for me never went past the lava; found a few macro bugs in the graveyard)

If you're curious about Oni, here are a few YouTube&Co clips made by the community (me & a few chums) over the past year...

YouTube Video: Oni Universe - Take 2

(a straightforward summary of Oni's plot, set to GITS:SAC theme Inner Universe)

YouTube Video: Oni Team Arena - Team Deathmatch

(that's not actual multiplayer, just a script that looks (and feels) like it)

Oni Team Arena too (another OTA highlight, over music by Nightwish)

YouTube Video: Mini Konoko and the Force

(that one is an obvious nod to Yoda; involved binary hacking)

More in preparation... I'll be putting them in my Serious showcase later on.
Quote:
I like the look of the character. It's so over the top skimpy that it's almost a parody of itself.
I'm with you, booger. You speak the truth.

Last edited by geyser; 02-26-2007 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:57 PM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Serious Xmas 2009!!

I must try Oni. It looks like a great game!!

@geyser: You mean you have only played the graveyard and lava parts in Haunted Palace? Well, after these the real fun begins

New projects!
• Serious Sam crazy!™
Old 02-24-2007, 04:35 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
free beer,hot girls

That game looks awesome! Sexy (and heavily stylized) female character in a beautiful and stylized world.

Very interesting.

How could I go about buying it?

Last edited by Lazzarus; 02-24-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:17 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
How could I go about buying it?
Oniblade is not out yet. When and if it's out, you'd be able to buy it through e.g. www.ozon.ru
It doesn't look like Gaijin release many demos, and rather sell the full products as soon as they're done...
They haven't been making many announcements about Oniblade lately, though... Hope dies last

Quote:
I must try Oni. It looks like a great game!!
The original Oni is quite enjoyable (if you manage to find a copy, that is...). Note, however, that with the exception of "Oni Universe", the videos you've seen are showcasing *cough* "community modding".
None of it is officially allowed by Oni's license and franchise owners (not even scripting), so I guess you could call all that fun "legally challenged". I hope I won't be modded or banned for linking to our forum/wiki/videos: please tell me and I'll remove the links myself.
"We" take comfort in the fact that if we weren't fixing crashes and bugs, unlocking Dev Modes and really cool AI/environment/FX features, pushing the envelope of the scripting engine etc, Oni would be dead by now. Right now, it's more like being reborn.

Another thing you should know is that Oni Team Arena (possibly the stuff that got your attention, Wytas) is not actual multiplayer: it's just a modular set of scripts that makes the most of Oni's single-player features.
CTF, DM and other stuff is feasible, but since we don't have a lot of certified masochists, it all remains "feasible" ATM (did I mention modding Oni was not only "legally challenged" but utterly painful as well? )

Anyway, I'd just as happily close the Oni theme (and possibly clear a few of my entries) and let the interested folks join us "beyond the veil"
And I'd give you heads-up on another Seriously Russian game instead, a thoroughly legal one (well, insofar as LOTR parodies are legal).
Already available, too, in Russia and worldwide through Ozon, for 300 rubles = 8.7 EUR = 11.5 USD. More on it later, probably in this thread.

Quote:
You mean you have only played the graveyard and lava parts in Haunted Palace? Well, after these the real fun begins
As I said, I only play from the Editor, and that means Serious difficulty and no Continue once you've run out of lives.
I manage most of the original SS2 levels that way, but Haunted Palace is just too much. The stockbrokers are bastards.
(on a short note, being shot by zombies because they can see you through the grass and you can't... that feels unfair)
(then again, maybe I'd see them better if I wasn't playing it in a 640x480 window; my laptop is no gaming rig...)

Last edited by geyser; 02-25-2007 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:14 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Here's the little bump I promised you yesterday. First off, a little history.

Shortly after I played the SS:FE demo, I had a dream of a mod I'd make. It would be called Serious Samwise Gamgee or something like that.
Something that would have started shortly after the "Well, I'm home" (spoken by Sam at the very end of Return of the King): some new, messy warfare in the Shire and around it.
The protagonist would of course have been Sam, along with his hobbit homies Merry and Pippin and whonot. There'd have been orc bashing and other festive crap. Lots of it.

I never really got around to modding Serious Sam, and now that I've finally come to a stage where I actually could, I find that "Serious Samwise Gamgee" has already been made. Sort of. Made twice, even.

First, Serious Sam 2 already introduced halflings and orcs and trolls and balrogs galore. So making a "Lord of the Serious Rings" mod would almost be "too little of a cha(lle)nge" now (kidding)

Second, Mr. Goblin, a guy well-known in Russia for his crazy dubbings of Western movies, actually sat down and made this:

THE HOMIES AND THE RING (Russian site)

YouTube Video: Bratva i Koltso - Trailer

DL trailer with überhigh audio/video quality and better audio/video sync (60 MB, XviD)

YouTube Video: Bratva i Koltso - Intro

6 more gameplay trailers (7 MB each, XviD)

Unfortunately for non-Russians, 99% of the visual/verbal content is made of untranslatable puns and other references to Russian culture.
Imagine playing the Croatian version of SS2, and then imagine something 1000 times more Croatian than that: well, it's even more Croatian...
Except it's Russian, of course. Same developer as Oniblade, BTW: Gaijin.

Aragorn became Agronom; Gondor became Honduras; Legolas, Gimli and Saruman became respectively Baltic, Georgian and Armenian soundalikes; "orcs" became "cons"; nazguls became nazis; etc, etc.
The game follows roughly the same plot as Fellowship of the Ring, but Middlearth is basically seen through the eyes of a crazy Russian all the way through.
Even the visual "puns" are so many that it takes a few careful viewings of the trailers just to "catch'em all!!".

The game can apparently be beaten in 2 evenings, but it looks replayable enough.
Multiplayer has been considered by the dev team, but it's not there... yet? Hopefully.
Those outside Russia can order it on www.ozon.ru (site is in Russian, though )
Price is 10 bucks. There, I think I covered it all. What do you think: worth a new thread?

@ mods & WIMC: Am I doing everything right with the new YT feature? And what about the Oni hype up there?

Last edited by geyser; 02-26-2007 at 10:19 AM.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:45 AM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

You know what? I think I'll keep bumping this until a mod answers me: is everything all right with the Oni hype up there?

And if I don't get a reply soon, I might cross-post an "ad" somewhere : after all, I refurbished the first posts a lot with that cool new YT bbcobe feature

(thanks LD!!! err... and I hope I'm not abusing anything that way, either; please confirm)

Here are a few Oni "tributes/trailers" I forgot.
They're not so recent, and I don't know the authors personally.
But they are Oni tributes all right. Both of them pretty polished.

YouTube Video: Oni - Resurrection

(that one is an absolute masterpiece)
(DivX version available... somewhere)

YouTube Video: Oni - Hero

(a trifle repetitive at places, but still very nice)

Last edited by geyser; 02-26-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:41 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Little bump here, with some new Oniblade stuff.

New trailer on FileFront (72 MB). There's also a preview with much better quality than YouTube.

YouTube Video: YouTube version (lousy quality as usual)

New screenshots on AG site.

New forum talk on AG, basically letting one expect a release towards autumn.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:16 PM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Serious Xmas 2009!!

Mmmm, I can't wait to buy this game!!
My style

New projects!
• Serious Sam crazy!™
Old 06-02-2007, 03:44 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
The Wwwyzzerdd

Divx is offline Send a message via AIM to Divx

Gads! And here I was thinking I was the only one that fought in only a thong.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Folding for Sam!

sURFNmADNESS is offline Send a message via AIM to sURFNmADNESS Send a message via MSN to sURFNmADNESS

Any reason she runs around always with her head looking down? How can she see where she is going? Is she Emo?

Seriouszone's Folding Stats on Extreme to see which team is going to get passed next.
Individual team member stats: see who on your own team you can pass next.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God, because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than of blind-folded fear."- Thomas Jefferson
Old 06-02-2007, 05:07 PM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Pony Fanatic

She is charging!
Old 06-03-2007, 12:59 PM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

I would be more interested if it was English.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 06-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
Do the Mario!

SuperMang! is offline Send a message via AIM to SuperMang!

I was thinking more of Onimusha meets Serious Sam. Looks promising.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:34 PM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Bump.
Official Oniblade Site
Official Oniblade Forum
Release due in autumn.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:00 PM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
Serious Xmas 2009!!

Cool, I'm looking forward for this game