Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 3

Serious Sam 3 Everything you want to know or say about Serious Sam 3!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

Unhappy Does anyone actually PLAY Serious Sam?

Ive been hosting BFE/HD games for the past month almost everyday, usually 1-2 hours per sitting, but sometimes nobody joins at all, and when they do, its usually the people who never played SS before and are too ****ing dumb to check the difficulty before they join and end up dying 4 times in 2 minutes.
I completed all SS games on serious, so looking for a bit of a challenge, i usually host 30% per player 5 extra lives coop games, but i usually end up playing alone or kicking the people that join.
All servers on the list are played on normal difficulty, so thats just not an option.

My question is, do the "hardcore" fans still play this along with HD? Or do you guys mostly play in private inner-circle sessions? I tried recruiting dozens of people, even going as far to offer buying discounted copies for them, and when I did, they didnt play it...Basically I have no one to play with or "train", let alone play on high difficulty levels, lol.
Im sorry if I sound "elitist" or something, but Im a social person and id like to experience teamwork to overcome challenges and have some fun, but the lower difficulties bore me to oblivion. I cant even bother joining those. Also I cannot comprehend why people cant bloody check the goddamn difficulty before they join. I have 5 lives, someone joins, in 2 minutes it goes down to 1 life, then he ofc leaves. EVERY TIME.
So uhm....does anyone host any challenging runs every now and then? Not something over the top like 200 per player, but something reasonable that can be done without too much frustration while keeping me on my toes. If so, Id love to join! Pretty please?
Old 10-21-2012, 06:48 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
「HORY SHET」

Default Re: Does anyone actually PLAY Serious Sam?

SS is an indie oldschool FPS. That pretty much explains it. It's difficult and "only" involves shooting aliens - no plot, no character development or nonsense like that. People got used to epic EZ games that explain and do everything for them, while in SS nobody's holding your hand - hell, the game would rip the said hand off if it could.

Simply put - some hardcore CoDer buys the game, plays a bit, considers it as too hard and never touches it again. That's the kind of players you're getting.

And if you're looking for organised events... Check the forums once in a while. You just missed the Jew-a-thlon or whatever it was called.

Last.fm | MyAnimeList.net
S!'s MVP (Most Valuable Pole)

Last edited by Sedinus; 10-21-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

Well, if SS can count as an Indie i don't know, here a list of its publishers: Take 2, cdv Germany (SS HD in Germany), Devolver Digital (SS HD + SS3 BFE international), dtp Entertainment AG.

Its not AAA but also not real Indy, even if Croatia has not many developers.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:32 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

I'd say it's some sort of meta-indie.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
有毒物質

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedinus View Post
You just missed the Jew-a-thlon or whatever it was called.
>Jew-a-thlon

http://imageshack.us/a/img138/776/doublefacepalm.png
Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Yes they do.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
「HORY SHET」

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinska View Post
>Jew-a-thlon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joke

Shit Vinska, get it together.

Last edited by Sedinus; 10-22-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
有毒物質

I know.
But that was a wrong time for joke. And for this situation, the joke itself was a really bad one.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

How was it the wrong time for a joke? =/ You bewilder me, Vinska.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Praise the Sun!

Well, I for one only play single player or matches organized here... I don't really join random servers or anything...
Old 10-22-2012, 10:17 AM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

Quote:
I know.
But that was a wrong time for joke. And for this situation, the joke itself was a really bad one.
Shit, the politically correct sensitivity police is here! Hide the stereotypes and flush down the evidence.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

30% per player? ARE YOU CRAZY?!
JUST SKILL
Old 10-22-2012, 12:56 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Yes I do play every now and then. I tend to feel the same way as you do. Most often people tell me to play on mommy-don't-let-them-hurt-me mode. I have not played in a little while, been busy with real life. When I go, I usually jump on one of the San Jose or LA servers. Note that when you go in you can vote to change mode/difficulty etc. Quite often we end up on a full server with either serious or mental difficulty + bumped damage.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Oh Long Johnson

serious sam is and will always be my favorite game,serious sam is one of the games where you dont have to think too much,and just shoot.and thats why i love it,hardcore enemies,hardcore weapons,where will you find another holdable cannon expect serious sam? as was mentioned sadly most people dont like the oldschool way,only realistic stuff,and i do wish there were more games where a boss fight was a big hardcore monster,and not a soldier.so yeah not a lot of people like serious sam anymore,but there are still some hardcore gamers
Old 10-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

Quote:
SS is an indie oldschool FPS. That pretty much explains it. It's difficult and "only" involves shooting aliens - no plot, no character development or nonsense like that. People got used to epic EZ games that explain and do everything for them, while in SS nobody's holding your hand - hell, the game would rip the said hand off if it could.

Simply put - some hardcore CoDer buys the game, plays a bit, considers it as too hard and never touches it again. That's the kind of players you're getting.

And if you're looking for organised events... Check the forums once in a while. You just missed the Jew-a-thlon or whatever it was called.
I know, the realization is slowly starting to hit me that there's "GAYMURZ" today who HAVENT EVEN HEARD about quake or UT let alone played them. Its depressing and makes me feel old, even tho im only 22. I remember in my early teens around the time COD1 came out, Q3, UT, cs 1.6 were the pinnacle of FPS gaming, and we used to go to lan cafés just so we could play those because we didnt have an internet connection or PC good enough to play those. Good times.

HURRDURR BF3 IS REALISTIC. **** that shit. There's no gibs, no ragdolling, the blood is minimal and there's not even any blood on the knife when you stab someone. Realism indeed.

>Jew-a-thlon
First I lold, then i felt bad, then i lold again.

Quote:
30% per player? ARE YOU CRAZY?!
I cant tell if this is sarcasm or not. Is that too much or are you just making fun of casuals? I dunno much about SS multiplayer scaling since i never got the chance to play it with lots of players and such.

Quote:
Yes I do play every now and then. I tend to feel the same way as you do. Most often people tell me to play on mommy-don't-let-them-hurt-me mode. I have not played in a little while, been busy with real life. When I go, I usually jump on one of the San Jose or LA servers. Note that when you go in you can vote to change mode/difficulty etc. Quite often we end up on a full server with either serious or mental difficulty + bumped damage.
You can even vote customized options? And yeah, I saw one of those servers like ONCE at most and it was full Most of the servers are just played on normal and experienced players wouldnt play on normal anyway, so joining then voting harder difficulty with a bunch of newbies doesn't seem to make sense. Or?

Also, a few questions:
1. What does the extra enemies option do exactly? Does it add a flat ammount of extra spawns or does it scale with the number of players in the game?
2. Why does my gameplay freeze completely for 2 seconds right before a body melts whenever I host MP? Even if im the only one playing, sometimes it just freezes(sound keeps playing but gameplay stops as if it was paused) right before a body melts then the game resumes as normal. It doesnt happen every time and It does not happen at all in SP.

Still looking for people to play all sam games with!
Old 10-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
ECM
Werebull

Quote:
>Jew-a-thlon

Related pic is related
Old 10-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noam2000 View Post
only realistic stuff,and i do wish there were more games where a boss fight was a big hardcore monster,and not a soldier.
A big hardcore monster is a far more realistic end boss than a soldier that can survive explosives, lots of gunfire and other punishment.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

30% per player is quite crazy, because SS3 has 20% per player by default and we played with 16 people before - it was really not fun at all, when you had to use all of your ammo to kill a single kleer.

BTW, extra enemies mean that there are extra multiplayer enemy spawners set up on the maps and those will spawn as well. They do not scale with the players, and the option can't do anything if the map has no extra multiplayer-only enemy spawners at all.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.

Last edited by Solais; 10-22-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
30% per player is quite crazy, because SS3 has 20% per player by default and we played with 16 people before - it was really not fun at all, when you had to use all of your ammo to kill a single kleer.

BTW, extra enemies mean that there are extra multiplayer enemy spawners set up on the maps and those will spawn as well. They do not scale with the players, and the option can't do anything if the map has no extra multiplayer-only enemy spawners at all.
Wow I only host 4 player games tho, and It didnt seem so bad. I guess it gets worse with more players. I didnt know about the hidden default scaling o.o

Meh, that's pretty bad. It explains why the difficulty is so absurdly spiky. First im breezing through the level soloing, then suddenly I get my ass handed to me when spawns go batshit crazy.
Thanks for the info.

Last edited by TetraFox; 10-22-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:28 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
「HORY SHET」

Quote:
HURRDURR BF3 IS REALISTIC. **** that shit. There's no gibs, no ragdolling, the blood is minimal and there's not even any blood on the knife when you stab someone
http://i.imgur.com/A9dkU.jpg

Get shot in the head
hide behind a wall
wait 5 seconds
wounds are cured
continue fighting.

If they are going with realism then people should die after one bullet to the chest or head, defibrillator shouldn't work at all (Hmm, he got blown up by a grenade, I'm sure a few jolts will do the trick), knife to the foot shouldn't be fatal etc., etc. Realism, my ass.

Last edited by Sedinus; 10-22-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
有毒物質

Quote:
Get shot in the head
hide behind a wall
wait 5 seconds
wounds are cured
continue fighting.
But, but... I am wearing a helmet! ...I think.

/* about wrong place for a joke: this person is very new (according to his post count) to Seriously! and might misunderstand that joke and might think that here, no one takes Serious Sam... seriously. If he was an older member, I would have not said anything (and then I would also probably laugh at his question). That's all. */
Old 10-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
ah damnit

Seriously! Secret Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TetraFox View Post
I know, the realization is slowly starting to hit me that there's "GAYMURZ" today who HAVENT EVEN HEARD about quake or UT let alone played them. Its depressing and makes me feel old, even tho im only 22. I remember in my early teens around the time COD1 came out, Q3, UT, cs 1.6 were the pinnacle of FPS gaming, and we used to go to lan cafés just so we could play those because we didnt have an internet connection or PC good enough to play those. Good times.
Oh no! Each generation is raised with different things. Its like bitching that kids growing up aren't TRUE CARTOON WATCHERS or whatever because they didn't watch what you did when you grew up. It's basically "pop culture when I was growing up was the best simply because I have happy but foggy memories of enjoying it. People that'll be 22 ten or so years from now will be saying the exact same thing you said about games like Call of Duty. It's a cycle.

Quote:
I cant tell if this is sarcasm or not. Is that too much or are you just making fun of casuals? I dunno much about SS multiplayer scaling since i never got the chance to play it with lots of players and such.
The big problem is that people don't want to play SS3 co-op in a L33T and HaRdCoRE way. They just want to rip out Gnaar eyes, blow up C4 everywhere, go nuts with a Minigun and decapitate Khnums. Instead of being all "heheheehe dumb casuals im a pro i dont play that babby shit :smug:", just go with the flow. You'll have a lot more fun that you think you will.

For example, I think SS3 single player in Serious difficulty is a walk in the park, but I still enjoy Normal co-op without any modifiers because I know co-op is when you just relax and screw around. I even make little challenges for myself, like only using melee in a certain part of a level or going on a Sledgehammer rampage. Since you usually don't have to worry about finite lives in co-op, you can be as crazy as you want, which makes the game very fast paced and exciting in ways that the SP mode can't be.

Attempting to force pubbies to play like PROZ is never, ever a good idea. The only things that come it is confused pubbies and you having higher blood pressure over some small shit in a video game that doesn't matter at all.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squadala View Post
Oh no! Each generation is raised with different things. Its like bitching that kids growing up aren't TRUE CARTOON WATCHERS or whatever because they didn't watch what you did when you grew up. It's basically "pop culture when I was growing up was the best simply because I have happy but foggy memories of enjoying it. People that'll be 22 ten or so years from now will be saying the exact same thing you said about games like Call of Duty. It's a cycle.

No. Just becuase i brought my age into the topic that doesn't mean you can spin this into a GENERATIONS DEAL WITH IT issue. I dont think "SS IS BEST BECAUSE FOGGY HAPPY MEMORIES", I can objectively compare the gameplay elements of FPS from years ago to FPS today. Sedinus and I have already pointed out a couple of contradictory bullshit in today's FPS which are supposedly what makes them so good in the first place. Holding the player's hand while guiding them through a series of cut scenes and cover-shooter sequences without punishing them for their mistakes. Then the playerbase claiming that this is a challenging, realistic experience, best shooter goty, so good realism graphics on 5 year old engine obviously intended for consoles heavily manipulated by color correction and post processing. Constantly lowering the skillcap and bridging the gap between good and bad players so the good players are playing with a disadvantage and the bad players are playing with an advantage. Then calling a whining faggot anyone who points out these issues, and bringing up the REALISM argument to justify broken unbalanced game mechanics. Yes, this is clearly a generation issue and I have no right to argue or compare.

Quote:
The big problem is that people don't want to play SS3 co-op in a L33T and HaRdCoRE way. They just want to rip out Gnaar eyes, blow up C4 everywhere, go nuts with a Minigun and decapitate Khnums. Instead of being all "heheheehe dumb casuals im a pro i dont play that babby shit :smug:", just go with the flow. You'll have a lot more fun that you think you will.

For example, I think SS3 single player in Serious difficulty is a walk in the park, but I still enjoy Normal co-op without any modifiers because I know co-op is when you just relax and screw around. I even make little challenges for myself, like only using melee in a certain part of a level or going on a Sledgehammer rampage. Since you usually don't have to worry about finite lives in co-op, you can be as crazy as you want, which makes the game very fast paced and exciting in ways that the SP mode can't be.

Attempting to force pubbies to play like PROZ is never, ever a good idea. The only things that come it is confused pubbies and you having higher blood pressure over some small shit in a video game that doesn't matter at all.
I dont want to play SS3 in a leet and hardcore way, and I dont understand how you got this from my posts. I clearly stated I wanted something that keeps me on my toes, as an experienced serious sam player, without being too frustrating. And where the **** did i say casuals are dumb? Oh you mean the part where I said people are dumb for not checking the difficulty before they join and ruining my game? Really? You think Im being elitist for expecting a player with an IQ level high enough to click game details before joining a game? Why are you trying so hard to justify stupidity and make me the bad guy?
If i wanted to do random havoc, id play GTA or any other sandbox game that doesn't collide with other players' gameplay. If you want to **** around, play a sandbox game, that's what they are for, not a linear shooter that expect you to PROGRESS and OVERCOME OBSTACLES.

"because I know co-op is when you just relax and screw around."
Really? Is this a fact? Co-op was designed for relaxed gameplay?

"Since you usually don't have to worry about finite lives in co-op, you can be as crazy as you want, which makes the game very fast paced and exciting in ways that the SP mode can't be."
Yeah, I know, its not like MP has any other options to make the game more fast paced and exciting. Right?

Where and when did i FORCE pubbies to play my way? and HOW can I force anyone to play the way I want to play? This doesn't make any sense. And how does it not matter? If this is my primary source of fun, and this is how i enjoy spending my spare precious time, then it does ****ing matter. How would you like it if I popped a waterballoon next to your face every 5 minutes while you are gaming? That's what it feels like whenever I host a game and people who never played sam before join my sessions.

Last edited by TetraFox; 10-22-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:32 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

*walks into topic*
*walks out*
Old 10-22-2012, 08:55 PM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Quote:
If they are going with realism then people should die after one bullet to the chest or head, defibrillator shouldn't work at all (Hmm, he got blown up by a grenade, I'm sure a few jolts will do the trick), knife to the foot shouldn't be fatal etc., etc. Realism, my ass.
Back when UT99 was the fps we had several mods to increase realism. One of them went as far as if you were shot in the leg, you slowed down, could not carry as much and left a blood trail. You would not heal unless a med kit was used. Then it may only partly staunch the blood flow. BTW if you ignored it you would bleed to death. It also let the enemies follow you easily. Turned out that people didn't like realism in a video game.

TetraFox, you are saying the exact same thing I have mentioned in the past. I have even gone as far as translating several phrases into Russian so that I can tell people to read the game details etc. Maybe the server should have a MOTD available so when you configure the server you can tell it to give a message to people joining.

got rid of pic.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
ah damnit

Seriously! Secret Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TetraFox View Post
No. Just becuase i brought my age into the topic that doesn't mean you can spin this into a GENERATIONS DEAL WITH IT issue. I dont think "SS IS BEST BECAUSE FOGGY HAPPY MEMORIES", I can objectively compare the gameplay elements of FPS from years ago to FPS today. Sedinus and I have already pointed out a couple of contradictory bullshit in today's FPS which are supposedly what makes them so good in the first place. Holding the player's hand while guiding them through a series of cut scenes and cover-shooter sequences without punishing them for their mistakes. Then the playerbase claiming that this is a challenging, realistic experience, best shooter goty, so good realism graphics on 5 year old engine obviously intended for consoles heavily manipulated by color correction and post processing. Constantly lowering the skillcap and bridging the gap between good and bad players so the good players are playing with a disadvantage and the bad players are playing with an advantage. Then calling a whining faggot anyone who points out these issues, and bringing up the REALISM argument to justify broken unbalanced game mechanics. Yes, this is clearly a generation issue and I have no right to argue or compare.
You can't compare your favorite childhood game and modern games objectivily because there's a shitload of bias in favor for the childhood game. There where the "your memories are tainting your views" comes in. Even then, modern games and classic FPS games are two different interpretations of the game genre. You may personally think that one game type plays better than the other, but you can't "objectivity" say one way is better than the other because they both have different methods of achieving gameplay. If games like CoD were truly and objectionably inferiority to your childhood favorite games, then why did Call of Duty 4 sell like hotcakes and the CoD franchise be a billion-seller? And don't tell me "MARKETING", because even the best marketing can't make your franchise a billion seller alone.

Quote:
I dont want to play SS3 in a leet and hardcore way, and I dont understand how you got this from my posts. I clearly stated I wanted something that keeps me on my toes, as an experienced serious sam player, without being too frustrating. And where the **** did i say casuals are dumb? Oh you mean the part where I said people are dumb for not checking the difficulty before they join and ruining my game? Really? You think Im being elitist for expecting a player with an IQ level high enough to click game details before joining a game? Why are you trying so hard to justify stupidity and make me the bad guy?
Based on what you post, I get the feeling that you're trying to make a challenging version of co-op when most pubbies are fine with the default. That's "pro" in my book.

What I'm saying is that you need to plan around it instead of throwing a temper tantrum when some dude appears in your hardcore FF activated server and goes nuts with C4. Refusing to change simply by making broad assumptions about your audience pisses people off and makes you look stuck-up.

Quote:
If i wanted to do random havoc, id play GTA or any other sandbox game that doesn't collide with other players' gameplay. If you want to **** around, play a sandbox game, that's what they are for, not a linear shooter that expect you to PROGRESS and OVERCOME OBSTACLES.
You can still do things like challenges when you're playing the type of game you describe. They are not mutually incompatible.

Quote:
"because I know co-op is when you just relax and screw around."
Really? Is this a fact? Co-op was designed for relaxed gameplay?
Actually look at how pubbies play. They don't want some hardcore challenge, they want to have fun without being really furstrated. Know your audience.

Quote:
"Since you usually don't have to worry about finite lives in co-op, you can be as crazy as you want, which makes the game very fast paced and exciting in ways that the SP mode can't be."
Yeah, I know, its not like MP has any other options to make the game more fast paced and exciting. Right?
So you can't spice up a game's gameplay outside of certain parameters predefined by the game? Tell that to people like the ones in CoD that make unofficial game modes and server hacks that make the game into things like Gun Game.

Quote:
Where and when did i FORCE pubbies to play my way? and HOW can I force anyone to play the way I want to play? This doesn't make any sense. And how does it not matter? If this is my primary source of fun, and this is how i enjoy spending my spare precious time, then it does ****ing matter. How would you like it if I popped a waterballoon next to your face every 5 minutes while you are gaming? That's what it feels like whenever I host a game and people who never played sam before join my sessions.
When you make a "challenging" server, anyone who's logging in is being forced to play your way. If people are quickly leaving and getting pissed off easily, then there's something wrong with the server settings, not them. You can say "WELL THEY SHOULDVE READ THE SERVER SETTINGS" but you need to realize that most people don't. Instead of being dismissive of them, make it so that the game is fun for both you and public players. that way, they'll want to stay and play games with you in the future. I mean, I could easily run a Mental Difficulty Coin-Op Co-Op with friendly fire enabled server because I like it, but instead, I just run Classic Co-op Normal games because both random pubbies and I can enjoy it.

This goes out the window if you're playing a private game obviously.

Last edited by Squadala; 10-22-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
ECM
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan View Post
*walks into topic*
*walks out*
http://i.imgur.com/9Rdhx.jpg

Last edited by ECM; 10-22-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:40 PM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
^Epic, though sometimes I question how much free time you have.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:18 AM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECM View Post
http://i.imgur.com/9Rdhx.jpg
You are a god.

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 10-23-2012, 04:51 AM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots