Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 2

Serious Sam 2 Discuss anything and everything about Serious Sam 2, the official sequel to SS:FE and SS:SE.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2016, 10:30 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Lightbulb Need help with special signs.

Hello.
Recently I've came up with and idea of making polish translation for Serious Sam 2, since there isn't any and it would help a few people who don't speak english fluently. Thanks to this forum I managed to figure out how to change text visible in game, but I encountered one minor problem.
The game doesn't support some of the polish special signs (like ą, ę, ś, ź and etc.), but some of them work (like ć, ó, ł for example). That's where I'm asking you. Is there any way to add them in the game files, so I can use them later in my translation?
I'd be very glad if someone knew this stuff and helped me a little.
Thanks in advance! ^^
Old 08-20-2016, 10:48 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Default Re: Need help with special signs.

Hello there and welcome.

I'm no Croteam member and no expert on the subject, but as far as I know the text is often a texture. Basically a big texture divided into a grid with every part of the grid representing a letter. If that's true, the letters available is hard-coded and there's nothing much you can do. I don't have the game installed, so I'm not sure about this. Maybe someone with current knowledge can enlighten us.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 08-20-2016, 10:52 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

I think CT used font files since SS2 onwards. So maybe you can replace the ones already in the game? But I really don't know that much about how SS2 worked.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
Hello there and welcome.

I'm no Croteam member and no expert on the subject, but as far as I know the text is often a texture. Basically a big texture divided into a grid with every part of the grid representing a letter. If that's true, the letters available is hard-coded and there's nothing much you can do. I don't have the game installed, so I'm not sure about this. Maybe someone with current knowledge can enlighten us.
I've been expecting that there is that kind of texture with letters on it. I searched for it through the Serious Editor, unfortunately with no results. If it is, as you said, hard-coded, then my plan won't work out as I believed it to. Thanks for the answer anyway. All I can do now is keep searching on my own and waiting for someone who might know the solution.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:41 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

So. I managed to play a little with the font files, just see how they look and etc. From one of the font files I exported a texture with different letters and signs put next to each other and tried to import it back to my newly created font file. Sadly it didn't work, because every time I try to import it, Serious Editor just crashes and creates mini dump file. Currently I'm stuck at this point, still waiting for someone to cast a little light for me at this subject
Old 08-21-2016, 10:27 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Well, it seems the font editor of the Serious Editor is broken. It might be impossible to do it then.

I wonder if you could copy the font files from SS3 then, or something.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:38 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Well, it seems the font editor of the Serious Editor is broken. It might be impossible to do it then.

I wonder if you could copy the font files from SS3 then, or something.
Sadly, Serious Sam 2 editor does not recognize the file type of Serious Sam 3 font files. Thanks for this suggestion anyway.