Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam Classic > Serious Sam Classic Workshop > Serious Editor

Serious Editor Discuss mapping ideas & problems or show tutorials and maps.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2002, 01:52 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

GaidinTS is offline Send a message via ICQ to GaidinTS Send a message via AIM to GaidinTS
Default How do I keep a player from being launched off of a moving brush?

Is there anyway to keep a player from falling off of a moving brush if I want the moving brush to move quickly.

for instance, if I send a lift up too fast, the player goes flying off the top of it, or if I have a moving brush shift directions quickly, the player gets thrown off.

Is there anyway to make the player "stick" to the mover? Or someway to disable the games physics?

Am I missing something really simple, because that is usually my problem.

The short distance between genius and insanity is measured only by success.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:27 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
λ

Shrinker is offline Send a message via ICQ to Shrinker Send a message via AIM to Shrinker Send a message via MSN to Shrinker

Hm ... that´s hard.
I think there was a way with the poly settings - try stardard - no impact.

Else you could also make the elevator static and move the whole level up/down with a high speed
   Arrival Mix | Tree of Life

Old 11-19-2002, 08:39 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
blahblahblah

--Fragman-- is offline Send a message via ICQ to --Fragman-- Send a message via AIM to --Fragman-- Send a message via MSN to --Fragman--

I could need a solution for that, too...
I don't like the moving brush collision system, you even fall through a brush sometimes...

Oh, and standart-no impact doesn't work, it just disables falling damage.

--------------------------
My Page!

Last edited by --Fragman--; 11-19-2002 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:00 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Anime Freak

Bwian is offline Send a message via AIM to Bwian

Try making transition markers, where the speed slows down, and then back up after the turn, or slow down before stopping.
Old 11-19-2002, 04:47 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

SeriousGamer is offline Send a message via ICQ to SeriousGamer Send a message via AIM to SeriousGamer

I am not shure how to use it correctly, but the ship entity is like a moving brush that accelerates to a set speed and then accelerates to zero when it is set to stop. There is a tutorial somewhere in the tutorials forum.
Old 11-19-2002, 04:56 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
blahblahblah

--Fragman-- is offline Send a message via ICQ to --Fragman-- Send a message via AIM to --Fragman-- Send a message via MSN to --Fragman--

But you can't start and stop it when you want.
It just starts, and when it's stopped, it won't start again.....

--------------------------
My Page!
Old 11-19-2002, 07:20 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Prophets of Sam

You could always try to parent a small sector on top of the moving brush, just big enough to stand in, and it has a stonger downforce of gravity.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:41 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

SeriousGamer is offline Send a message via ICQ to SeriousGamer Send a message via AIM to SeriousGamer

Great idea, that would probably work for an elevator, but it might not work for a sideways moving brush.
Old 11-20-2002, 12:47 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

GaidinTS is offline Send a message via ICQ to GaidinTS Send a message via AIM to GaidinTS

well, with the ship entity, can't you just use the model, I've never tried it before, but everytime I drag it in, all I get is that big ship model.

The short distance between genius and insanity is measured only by success.
Old 11-20-2002, 03:00 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Unwary-Thief's suggestion of parenting a small sector to the moving brush would certainly be a desirable capability, for a variety of reasons..... but I haven't figured out how to do it. Has anyone figured out how to do such a sector as a part of or a child of a movingbrush or ship entity? Use/shape could range from a simple rectangular box shape atop a simple rectangular movingbrush..... to a complex shape atop and/or inside a complexly shaped movingbrush.

If that isn't doable, a couple of additional options come to mind.....

... set the top surface of the movingbrush to as sticky a floor type as possible

... add visible or invisible brushes around the edge of the moving brush and/or on its top, to stop the player from sliding off as the movingbrush accelerates...... an extreme form of this would be to have warning signs on/in the movingbrush and provide acceleration couches or racks (positions) that the player should position themselves at so as to survive the acceleration and stay on the movingbrush

.... assuming that the movingbrush does not have its own sector having local gravity... chop the sector(s) along the movingbrush's path up into sector-per-movingbrushmarker (at least where major changes in speed are specified), then assign each of those sectors its own gravitymarker and set those gravitymarkers' forcefields (arbitrarily orientable, arbitrary strength, off-vertical force) to apply a strength that closely matches the new speed being encountered. The result would be that at about the same time the movingbrush changes speed, the relevant gravitymarker would be applying a similar acceleration/deceleration to the player. Complicated, but perhaps useful.

Wishlist items: brushes or movingbrush items that would obey gravity (including gravitymarker's forcefield (can be faked by making a brush or movingbrush a child of a gravity sensitive weapon/ammo/other? entity.... don't know how well it works)....... and gravitymarkers that could receive/use forcefield strength settings from movingbrushmarkers, so that be easily synchronized.
Old 11-20-2002, 04:57 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

I liked the idea of parenting having a gravity controlled brush by parenting an item that is affected by gravity so I tried it with a rolling stone and the problem was that the brush just passes right through you with no effect. Why isn't there a gravety entity where you can place the entity at the center of gravity and add csgs to it, or is that too much to ask?
Old 11-22-2002, 04:59 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian
Unhappy

I am having problem with elevators too. I want to ask 2 questions.
1. How can I avoid the player to die when a elevator goes very fast up?
2. Are there sounds for 10 sec elevators?
Old 11-22-2002, 06:40 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
@serioussam.org ;)

Serious Worm is offline Send a message via ICQ to Serious Worm Send a message via MSN to Serious Worm

1. Die?
2. Check the Start and the middle option on sounds, other than Stop. The start sound should play when the elevator is started and that other sound continuously while the elevator is moving.
Old 11-22-2002, 08:01 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

I agree with the answer to the second question, good one. To answer the first I would suggest making the polygons of tne elevator no impact.
Old 11-24-2002, 09:25 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian
Smile

Cool, thanx.
Old 11-24-2002, 11:32 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
@serioussam.org ;)

Serious Worm is offline Send a message via ICQ to Serious Worm Send a message via MSN to Serious Worm

Quote:
Originally posted by SeriousGamer
I agree with the answer to the second question, good one. To answer the first I would suggest making the polygons of tne elevator no impact.
Yes, but the MB must be very fast... On the other hand if the player has 1 health or so he'll die no matter how small the damage is ... Ah well