Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam Classic

Serious Sam Classic Discuss anything and everything relating to Serious Sam Classic and its 2 parts; The First Encounter and The Second Encounter.

View Poll Results: was SE or FE more difficult?
Serious Sam Second encounter was harder 24 51.06%
Serious Sam First encounter was harder 23 48.94%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2004, 07:33 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Default was FE or SE more difficult?

just wanted to see what everyone thought. I just beat SE on normal, and I have to say it was MUCH easier than FE. Its been a while since I beat FE, but I remember luxor and great pyramids were absolute torture. Grand cathedral and land of the damned and citadel on the other hand, PALED in comparison. they were like a walk in the park. the reason I think SE is easier is because of:

Sniper Rifle - this makes things so much easier. its a one hit kill on everything except the biggest bad guys. this means you can thin out many threats from a long range before they even get to you.

Flamethrower - kleers are much easier to deal with now, as you simply hold down the fire button and watch them all die. ditto bulls. ditto those suicide frogs. ditto those kamikazes.

Serious Bomb - wow I would have loved to have had one of these on FE. geez clear out the entire screen of enemies.

Easy bosses - the only difficult boss was the one in the first campaign, the tornado god dude. but even that was easy because of the two serious bombs on that level. the boss in the tower of babel was a joke. there weren't even other guys to worry about. the boss in the grand cathedral was also a joke as well. it was nothing like holding out against the final boss in the great pyramid, waiting for the spaceship to arrive. but maybe memory fails me and its been too long since I played FE. or maybe SE is much harder on seroius mode. i dunno. what are your thoughts.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:26 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
pee pee

toastar is offline Send a message via ICQ to toastar

FE was harder. The first time I played it I couldn't been Ugh on tourist.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:32 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Scrapjack

I think SE was hard for me. Because in the Grand Cathedral, there were a bunch of enemies going after Sam, and the process of eliminating the enemies takes tough time to take them out. However, the last level was fun because it keeps you busy. For FE, it seem to be very easy because some levels were shorter. Not only that SE was harder, but for FE, in the last level, Ugh-Zan, the gigantic beast, was fairly easy to beat. Sometimes Ugh-Zan gets lucky when the laser beam trap almost shot him in the center.

Last edited by Prospector; 05-19-2004 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-19-2004, 07:46 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

well i thought the grand cathedral was easy because there are enough secrets in the corridor of death that give 100 health, 200 armor, red ammo backpacks, serious bomb, serious damage, and invulnerability, that it makes things considerably easier. i'm in the process of beating the grand cathedral on serious right now, and so far so good, i just cleared the corridor.

one cheap trick in the grand cathedral - in the open area right before the cathedral (after you have cleared the jump pads), when you are fighting the first wave of kamikaze and kleers, there is a safe area. its on the two demon statues in front of the cathedrals. simply blow up the statues, and you can stand on those platforms, impervious to all kamikaze and kleers.

as far as i can recall, in SE, there's really no tricks you can use when you're trying to reach the great pyramid and craploads of bad guys are attacking you.

anyway does anyone know how i can make a poll? never used v-bulletin system before.
Old 05-19-2004, 08:08 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
λ

Shrinker is offline Send a message via ICQ to Shrinker Send a message via AIM to Shrinker Send a message via MSN to Shrinker

Make a new thread and activate the "poll" option
   Arrival Mix | Tree of Life

Old 05-19-2004, 09:38 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Default was FE or SE more difficult?

okay re-did thread this time with poll. err mods you can delete the original one. oops!

just wanted to see what everyone thought. I just beat SE on normal, and I have to say it was MUCH easier than FE. Its been a while since I beat FE, but I remember luxor and great pyramids were absolute torture. Grand cathedral and land of the damned and citadel on the other hand, PALED in comparison. they were like a walk in the park. the reason I think SE is easier is because of:

Sniper Rifle - this makes things so much easier. its a one hit kill on everything
except the biggest bad guys. this means you can thin out many threats from a long range before they even get to you.

Flamethrower - kleers are much easier to deal with now, as you simply hold down the fire button and watch them all die. ditto bulls. ditto those suicide frogs. ditto those kamikazes. life is easier.

Serious Bomb - wow I would have loved to have had one of these on FE. geez clear out the entire screen of enemies.

Easy bosses - the only difficult boss was the one in the first campaign, the tornado god dude. but even that was easy because of the two serious bombs on that level. the boss in the tower of babel was a joke. there weren't even other guys to worry about. the final boss of grand cathedral is pretty hard, unless you beat him by hiding....

oh yeah i just beat grand cathedral on serious difficulty. this seemed a lot more easier than great pyramid (if memory serves me correctly), due to the abundance of secret power ups: the serious damage, +100 health, +200 armor, red backpacks, invulnerability. the extra ammo in serious difficulty actually made it easier IMO.
in the open area before the grand cathedral, there are two demon statues. if you destroy the statues, you can jump onto the platforms. this makes you completely safe from the first wave of kamikazes and kleers. eventually you'll have to leave due to other ranged monsters who show up. also against the final boss, if you hide in the corner, he won't summon any new monsters if he can't see you. so these two small tricks make life a lot easier.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:54 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

i think FE was harder since i was not used to the Sam speed and intensity as i was when the second one came out =)
Old 05-20-2004, 01:50 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

I find SE far harder than FE.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:55 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

In the last fight in Grand Cathedral before the boss, you can also go next to the church and snipe the enemies or kill them in groups. (show yourself and kill all enemies that see you, and repeat again and again)
Old 05-20-2004, 03:44 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Game like Hames

Blues Cowboy is offline Send a message via ICQ to Blues Cowboy

FE was harder for me. Without the chainsaw, flamethrower and sniper rifle, you ran out of heavy ordnance too quickly.

R.I.P. Fiendan's Baby. You've gone to a better place now...
Old 05-20-2004, 03:46 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Game like Hames

Blues Cowboy is offline Send a message via ICQ to Blues Cowboy

FE was harder- you didn't have the chainsaw, sniper rifle and flamethrower, and ran out of ammo for the chaingun and laser too quickly. In SE the weapon set was better balanced.

R.I.P. Fiendan's Baby. You've gone to a better place now...
Old 05-21-2004, 06:31 AM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

I didnīt use the Chainsaw a single time in the game...except killing the bigheads.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:32 AM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

FE would be too easy with these weapons, especially if you had the Chainsaw in Oasis...
Old 05-21-2004, 06:40 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
λ

Shrinker is offline Send a message via ICQ to Shrinker Send a message via AIM to Shrinker Send a message via MSN to Shrinker

omg people are posting the same content in 2 threads

Why not just letting the pollless thread die?

Old 05-21-2004, 06:41 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
λ

Why not just letting this thread die?

Old 05-21-2004, 06:31 PM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinker

Why not just letting the pollless thread die?
well i told the mods to delete or lock the original thread that didn't have a poll. but they haven't so far. is there any way i can delete the original thread, i couldn't find any option to do that.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:22 PM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

The mods arenīt often here...
Old 05-22-2004, 01:44 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
λ

rofl, wrong.
But I am not a mod here.

Old 05-22-2004, 02:07 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Scrapjack

Quote:
well i told the mods to delete or lock the original thread that didn't have a poll. but they haven't so far. is there any way i can delete the original thread, i couldn't find any option to do that.
Normal members cannot delete threads because only moderators or administrators can be capable of that.

Last edited by Prospector; 05-24-2004 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:32 AM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

If mods/admins can do that, why is it impossible?

And read the line: "well i told the mods to delete or lock the original thread..."
Old 06-06-2004, 05:24 AM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Quesion: Is it really possible (without cheating) to beat "Serious Sam - Second Encounter" in Serious Mode? In Single-Player, I mean, not cooperative? Donīt wanna start trying and then getting stuck half-way through!

- Snake in the Eagle's Shadow
Old 06-07-2004, 09:01 AM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Beware the buttcat

LactosetheIntolerant is offline Send a message via ICQ to LactosetheIntolerant Send a message via MSN to LactosetheIntolerant Send a message via Yahoo to LactosetheIntolerant

of course its possible... i havent personally done it, however.

i found FE harder, and more fun.

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Old 06-08-2004, 05:37 AM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

I beat the FE in Serious Mode and it gives you another type of difficulty: MENTAL. But mental isn't so hard... The enemies are like HARD mode but they appear and disappear all the time. I haven't finished mental mode yet, but I'm in Karnak (in the last arena of the level).

The only thing I remember is that it took me 18 days to finish SERIOUS MODE. The most hardest levels for me were: "Metropolis, Alley Of The Sphinxes, Karnak, Luxor, and the most hardest, The Great Pyramid". (UGH-ZAN is a very easy boss for me.)

IN SE, I am in "The Pit" level (in SERIOUS MODE) at the last arena, where you get out in the night!!! I can't wait to battle with Kukulkan, the wind god. I think I will die there over 150 times.

For me, SE is more harder than FE!!!

Last edited by Apocalypse_Soon; 06-08-2004 at 05:42 AM.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:03 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderK
Quesion: Is it really possible (without cheating) to beat "Serious Sam - Second Encounter" in Serious Mode? In Single-Player, I mean, not cooperative? Donīt wanna start trying and then getting stuck half-way through!
Letīs say it isnīt possible. Why should Croteam put that hard skill into a game?
Thatīd be stupid.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:05 PM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendan
Letīs say it isnīt possible. Why should Croteam put that hard skill into a game?
Thatīd be stupid.
Maybe for Cooperative only.

- Snake in the Eagle's Shadow
Old 07-02-2004, 12:24 PM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

yes a lot of ppl here have done it i havent

i did beat the final level in se grand cathedral, in serious though
Old 07-02-2004, 01:17 PM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
pee pee

toastar is offline Send a message via ICQ to toastar

it's quite possible... i've beaten SE on serious (but definitely not FE)
Old 07-22-2004, 09:53 PM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

FE was harder
Old 07-23-2004, 07:51 PM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderK
Maybe for Cooperative only.
Possibility.
But I donīt play coop, only SP and Iīm bored of that so bye SS for awhile.
Old 08-06-2004, 07:21 AM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

FE harder but SE much more fun.

FE perhaps seemed harder because it was newer, and by SE I knew the tricks. Besides, some of the weapons in SE made it easier - a single sniper shot to gib a monster without having to get close and face fang and claw is much more civilized. And then there's the flamethrower - toast the baddies before they can respond and take time to get out the marshmallows...

But the maps in SE were much better. Seriously better... heh heh heh heh heh heh...