Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2016, 04:42 AM   #31   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Default Re: Current state of SS Origins, TNE HD, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Russia View Post
I knew about F.E.A.R 2 and so on, a guy called DXFan619 did a retro perspective on that franchise and covered all the legal grounds all well.
Ah yeah, F.E.A.R. has quite an interesting history, too bad the series went down the shitter and the IP is just collecting dust now. I'd love for an unknown small developer (who understands what made the series great and what didn't) to make a new game.

Quote:
if there's something I don't get, why can't Dev's just publish their own games these days, if Steam makes it much more easier than the old 'retail' days.
Aside from that and console releases of course.
Advertising your game costs a lot money. Making physical copies and distributing those across the world costs a lot of money. Hell, if your team is bigger than just you just keeping people on the payroll during the multi-year development is costing a lot of money. If you want to make a proper polished title your only option is often licensing an engine (some well-known engines have been made available for free now, though) and middleware, so that also costs money to license. Unless you want to make every sound yourself or scour the internet for high quality royalty-free sounds you will also want to buy a soundbank. The list goes on.

There's so much involved with making quality games nowadays that, unless you're a millionaire playboy philanthropist, you need a publisher to sponsor your game's development. The only other viable option is making a small-scale indie game and only distribute it on Steam (without advertising) so that you only need to pay money to... you know, feed yourself.

Quote:
Again, your not taught this stuff in school, so how was I suppose to 'understand'.
You weren't. My post wasn't meant to imply you're supposed to just know these things or like you're an idiot, it was only an observation. I'm sorry if it seemed otherwise. I hope this post is informative enough.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)

Last edited by Discy; 07-27-2016 at 04:44 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:28 AM   #32   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
You weren't. My post wasn't meant to imply you're supposed to just know these things or like you're an idiot, it was only an observation. I'm sorry if it seemed otherwise. I hope this post is informative enough.
Sure is, thanks!
Old 07-27-2016, 06:54 AM   #33   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

I think it lacks about infos about states cause of no communication/not enough communications between Seriouszone and other SS communities.(Russians Serioussite.ru; Italians SS HD players, maybe Steam groups).

And btw Serioussite.ru is a terrible Website to use, not cause it is in russian and you need a translator to use it. This site seems also to use a lot of Flash templates.

About Take 2: I do not know & understand what was so terrible inside the business relationship of take 2 & Croteam.

And about SS Alpha: well we still have Zdzichu Alpha Remake mod here http://files.seriouszone.com/download.php?fileid=1374

Last edited by Gnaarwarian; 07-30-2016 at 03:40 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:07 AM   #34   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

I want to download that pirated Alpha so bad, but I don't think I will by doing the right thing, and standing against piracy.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:40 AM   #35   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

Sanches1sa is the project leader for TNE HD.

And publishers exist so that developers can focus on making games without having to deal with the the stress of all of the business related to publishing a game. For Indies this is a godsend.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:44 AM   #36   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
I want to download that pirated Alpha so bad, but I don't think I will by doing the right thing, and standing against piracy.
That's the right thing to do, Captain_Russia. Croteam is a small company and doesn't have the means to take down every site that hosts the leaked alpha. Just because Croteam hasn't taken the site down doesn't mean they allow it, and they've stated before that they don't like people linking to it. It's a matter of courtesy and respect, which Gnaarwarian is lacking.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:58 PM   #37   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

Yes. Don't be an ass.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:58 PM   #38   Add To Ignore List  
Gehenna's member

Man, Hatshepsut from alpha (I played trough the remake, I didn't download the pirated one although that alpha is tempting as Cap said) is wonderful, I love it. The entrance of Karnak with the big pool too.

And btw, the sound of 100 health item... lol, it's hilarious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorchop View Post
I'll date you bro. You're gonna have to put on a wig and stuff some balloons under your shirt, and you're gonna have to pay for dinner as well. Also no touching. Don't even make eye contact. I'll pick you up around 7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mane View Post
That's a deal!
Old 07-27-2016, 04:11 PM   #39   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

What was so different from the alpha to the shipped version?

And, if you own the shipped version, why would it be illeagal to download the alpha, since CT released the rights (or whatever its called for giving the engine away free) of the engine?

I would love to see what is different from the 2 versions, but if CT doesnt condone it, I wont dl it.
Is there a youtube video, or just a description, of what was changed? That would be pretty cool.
Also, for buying SS4 maybe CT could include the alpha version, to make it all legal?
Old 07-27-2016, 05:03 PM   #40   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3d View Post
What was so different from the alpha to the shipped version?

And, if you own the shipped version, why would it be illeagal to download the alpha, since CT released the rights (or whatever its called for giving the engine away free) of the engine?

I would love to see what is different from the 2 versions, but if CT doesnt condone it, I wont dl it.
Is there a youtube video, or just a description, of what was changed? That would be pretty cool.
Also, for buying SS4 maybe CT could include the alpha version, to make it all legal?
Quite a lot actually, and yes there are videos.

I don't want to pirate it or anything, but I'd love it if Croteam could give us some way of getting it legally, like a maybe a perk for owning enough SS games, or maybe a pre-order bonus for SS4?
EDIT: I know that some games have special editions that also include the beta versions of the game.

Last edited by Captain_Russia; 07-27-2016 at 05:14 PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:29 PM   #41   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

The "Alpha", as in Sam2000 cannot be shared legally by Croteam due to licenses in the code that ran out since then. However, its content CAN be shared legally, that's why it was originally planned to be released with Revolution and also why Origins was also a thing.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:22 PM   #42   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
The "Alpha", as in Sam2000 cannot be shared legally by Croteam due to licenses in the code that ran out since then. However, its content CAN be shared legally, that's why it was originally planned to be released with Revolution and also why Origins was also a thing.
So, we can legally download the 'alpha' version?
Or, only the one that was being remade in hd?
Thanks.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:39 PM   #43   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Once it's out on the internet, nobody can do anything about it.

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:19 PM   #44   Add To Ignore List  
Gehenna's member

So, means that we can use parts from that alpha but we can't play the whole game? With "can" I mean "legally".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorchop View Post
I'll date you bro. You're gonna have to put on a wig and stuff some balloons under your shirt, and you're gonna have to pay for dinner as well. Also no touching. Don't even make eye contact. I'll pick you up around 7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mane View Post
That's a deal!
Old 07-27-2016, 07:29 PM   #45   Add To Ignore List  

This is weird. I understand if the license expired the code can not be shared/updated anymore unless the licensed part is replaced, but what kind of license would be applied to an already compiled executable like that ? It all makes no sense to me.

Are we talking about an actual playable game here, or that link is just source code ?
Old 07-27-2016, 07:38 PM   #46   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

That playable Sam2000 "game". That build is something that have old licenses. However, any content in it doesn't, that's why it can be remade as Origins, for one.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:15 AM   #47   Add To Ignore List  
Banned

Here's the original source of the Discussion to the SS1 Alpha i'm talking about http://www.betaarchive.com/forum/vie...p?f=14&t=26506. This link stays here for lawyers or a DCMA.
So Croteam can take care of there Property & Products. See it as a Service from me.

I have checked it out 2-3 Months cause i thought somebody would take this site down, nobody did.

Why did CT does not use DMCA to take this site down, like Music Industry, Publishers (with Pirated Games) does, Movie companies too?

You only need to call a Lawyer and have to an make application, i guess.

Should i made my tasks after idealistic ponits of views or live inside Subjunctive mood?
There is no Time Machine which is able to make Humanity go back to 18th century to live after idealistic things.

And btw nobody of the Russian Creators advertises there mod SSO, i couldn't even find a Forum selection to follow the Development progress of SSO.
YT trailers said SSO should be released End of 2015, nothing happened.
Except 2 or 3 articles here about SSO.

Beta Remake of theKazuya005 seems to be an empty promise, SS NE HD too.

I can't do Mind Reading.

Keeping these Mods secret is not a great idea.
Cause if you told nobody that your mod exists, how should people find your mod or be able to play it?

Last edited by Gnaarwarian; 07-30-2016 at 03:41 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:27 PM   #48   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaarwarian View Post
Why did CT does not use DMCA to take this site down, like Music Industry, Publishers (with Pirated Games) does, Movie companies too?

Because that takes time, effort, and money to do. They are busy. And once it is out there you can't stop it anyway.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:34 PM   #49   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaarwarian View Post
"You can still find torrents of games/movies/music/books on the internet. Therefore, every developer, writer, artist, director and publisher doesn't care about their stuff. Therefore, they allow piracy."

Your logic is fundamentally flawed and you should stop talking.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:50 PM   #50   Add To Ignore List  
Master of Kalamzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
every developer, writer, artist, director and publisher doesn't care about their stuff. Therefore, they allow piracy.
They do care, that's why games have DRM, but the point here is that at some point the product is gonna be pirated, and once it's out there's no stopping it.

They can only try to minimize the impact, but there's no stopping it from happening and continuing; piracy is inevitable.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:16 PM   #51   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

DRM is only there to protect the first week of sales, which is the most important.

Old 07-28-2016, 01:20 PM   #52   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
They do care, that's why games have DRM, but the point here is that at some point the product is gonna be pirated, and once it's out there's no stopping it.

They can only try to minimize the impact, but there's no stopping it from happening and continuing; piracy is inevitable.
You're trying to argue Gnaarwarian's troll logic against me? Why?

Old 08-04-2016, 12:11 PM   #53   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Sanchez have finally shared his version of NEHD, so a current new team can work on it. It seems Urban-Human is taking over as lead for now.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:15 PM   #54   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m609/Sacorguy79/freakingout.gif

Dude.

DUDE.

HAPPENING.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:31 PM   #55   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

Place your bets, ladies and gentlemen: how much time will it last until another hiatus in the team
Old 08-04-2016, 01:35 PM   #56   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

At least I'll get updates and if there's any sort of hiatus, I'll give the data to the next team.

Old 08-04-2016, 04:30 PM   #57   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

There's something both ironic and sacred in the act of passing the torch of remaking NE from some people to other. I bet it may become a good tradition when a newer generation of mappers will continiue the unfinished work of the old one decades and decades later...
Old 08-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #58   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Good work takes time.

Old 08-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #59   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Sanchez have finally shared his version of NEHD, so a current new team can work on it. It seems Urban-Human is taking over as lead for now.
So, since you have it now, how far did the project actually get ?
Old 08-05-2016, 02:32 PM   #60   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

All levels, including the Lost and Cut levels of China is complete, with the exception of the boss level. Rome is also mostly done, only missing a few Lost and Cut levels. Atlantis barely got anything, maybe two levels.