Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 3 > Serious Sam 3: BFE Workshop

Serious Sam 3: BFE Workshop The official forum for Serious Sam 3: BFE projects, be it maps, mods, or something else.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2016, 11:55 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

Default Creating a Sound Mod?

I can't seem to find any tutorial on this for SED 3.5, so I figured I'd try asking.

How does one create a simple sound mod? Say, for example, I wanted to modify the Pistol Firing sound by replacing it with the Colt Firing Sound from SS2. I think it's just a .wav file replacement, but I'm still kind of lost.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:58 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Bio
Mechanoid

Default Re: Creating a Sound Mod?

Make a new gro file (Or just copy an existing gro file, delete the contents and rename the gro file itself), create new folder files inside your new gro file (First make a "Content" folder, then "SeriousSam3", then "Sounds", then "Weapons" and then "Pistol") and place your sound file inside your gro file's pistol folder. Make sure the name of your modified sound file is exactly the same as the default's sound file (WEP_Pistol_Fire_ST_07_mono.wav should be the name of the pistol firing sound).
Old 03-08-2016, 01:47 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

Additional question: How do you create a .gro file, or how would you access and modify a copied one? Windows doesn't exactly know how to open .gro files.

I'd somehow managed to create a .gro file with the editor, but I was messing around with the pre-existing "All_01.gro", so trying it out after submitting it to the Workshop resulted in none of the levels loading.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:08 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Gro files are renamed zip files. So yeah.

The interesting thing, that if you use Total Commander, it instantly recognizes them as archive files, so you can open them if they were folders. It's very useful for working with gro files. Wouldn't recommend the editor's gro creator, as it's quite buggy.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:52 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

...I'm still lost. How could I change a .zip file to a .gro file, if that's at all possible?

I've also discovered that even with all mods disabled, I can't load any levels at all when playing the moddable version. No clue how that happened.

EDIT: Fixed the latter problem, found a folder which didn't belong in that area.

Last edited by Sacorguy79; 03-08-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:03 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Umm... Rename file?

Though, I think one of the reasons I never use Windows Explorer because it doesn't let you change file extensions, which is such a bullshit. If it was me, I'd make Total Commander the standard file browser.

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:08 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

Yeah, that seems to be the problem. Renaming a .zip to a .gro does nothing with Windows Explorer. I'll try to get it working with Total Commander.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:10 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

One thing I did with TC is that I copied an original gro file, and emptied it out completely, save a placeholder file. So when I was creating a new mod, I just copied this Empty.gro file, put everything in it, and it always worked perfectly.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

I took the zip file, opened it up with TC, and saved it as a .gro file. That caused it to create a proper .gro file in the designated folder where all .gro files go. Am I winning yet?

EDIT: Tested it, got it working. Now I just need to figure out how to get it up on the workshop.

Last edited by Sacorguy79; 03-08-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:42 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacorguy79 View Post
Yeah, that seems to be the problem. Renaming a .zip to a .gro does nothing with Windows Explorer. I'll try to get it working with Total Commander.
Windows Explorer hides file extensions by default for known types. If you rename your file to .gro then it will in fact just be File.gro.zip, changing nothing. In a Windows folder, go to Tools -> Folder options -> View -> uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types", apply. Now you will see every file extension, and when you change a .zip to .gro file it will actually change and become readable in Serious Engine.

By the way, not sure about newer iterations of Serious Engine, but in SE1 you can't compress already compressed audio files (i.e. Vorbis and MP3 audio). When you start a level with a gro that compresses these files you get a warning and it won't work. So you have to create two gro files: One without compression for these files and one for the rest with compression. Or you can find a tool that already does that for you, like AutoGRO for classic Sam.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 03-09-2016, 05:48 AM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

SE2+ doesn't care about compression anymore.