Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-22-2014, 05:37 PM   #1561   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Default Re: Random game talk

If a rifle means that much to you... That's like saying I won't like Johnny Knoxville anymore since he hates jackets.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:49 PM   #1562   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Re-review:
http://www.shacknews.com/article/845...view-follow-up

I agree with everything, except the part about the chainsaw (1 frikin time this happens, lol, not like its throughout the whole game), and the 'jarring cutscenes' (they were fine for me, they were cutscenes. watch em or skip em).

One of the best shooters in a long time.
And, probably the best Wolf game, for me, ever.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #1563   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Glad you're having fun, Dave. It made me smile that a shooter has satisfied you, really. It's been a while.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #1564   Add To Ignore List  

I'm jealous. I want Wolf, but I'm not ready to spend the money on it.

Have you beaten it? How long was it?
Old 05-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #1565   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

Does it have manual saving?
Old 05-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #1566   Add To Ignore List  
有毒物質

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan View Post
If a rifle means that much to you... That's like saying I won't like Johnny Knoxville anymore since he hates jackets.
Teh AK means a lot to me, yes.
But the way how he dissed it is just unacceptable. Had he dissed any other gun, or heck anything, in this kind of way, I'd lose all my respect to him as that is just LOW. VERY LOW.
Since he dissed a thing I love in such a way, it's double as bad.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:14 AM   #1567   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

SPOILERS HERE

@viper:
I went on a 9 hour straight binge, mostly searching for loot/secrets, then got all caught up in the shooting and story, and rushed through.
I have yet to beat the boss boss
2 killer bosses right before the final boss, it is an awesome setup for an end game
, but will do it this weekend (if I can, tried 2 times, and couldnt do it, lol).
If i wouldnt have gone all rambo, gung ho, it probably would have been more like 11 hours of play.
But, I am going to replay it, and try to find secrets and stuff. I didnt know how to properly use the map until 1.2 way through or so (once I actually NEEDED to use the map, I saw that it showed hidden items, special items, or secrets).

@ Fiendien.
No, no manual save. But the saves were VERY smartly managed, and at no time did I ever say '&^(*%*%^$*, no manual saves!@!!!!!! (*)&*%^&^*% RAGE!.
Hehe

@Pan
Thanks. Yes, it has been a while since I just sat in the chair and played and played and played, and didnt move. Like I said, probably the best Wolfenstein ever, and one of the best shooters in a while. I think there could have been maybe an hour, 2 max, added to the game, because I wanted a little bit more, but it also might have made it go on too long also.

Thge only things that really bugged me, was the round scroll weapons menu. Would rather have had the old, 'next weapon' brings up the next weapon, not a whole wheel to choose from. And, 1 part that I missed the tutorial on how to crouch, lean, crouch further while leaning, and look under a door (like, 4 buttons to perform 1 action, really). Then I found that in the Journal, they have the tutorials (which was VERY nice), and figured it out.

I thought the game was going to be like Shadow Warrior, where you have to have 3-4-5 button combinations for 1 frikin action, but there were only 3 things like that, and most were run forward and crouch to slide (only 2 buttons, and easily rememberable, and standard fare). And, those 3 things were only needed at the 3 spots that showed you how to do it. Hehe

Also, I played both ways.
First, I started shooting everythiing in sight, rambo style. But, once I got a silencer, I started playing sneak mode, and I actually enjoyed both mode equally (usually I dont like stealth mode at all, but it is growing on me).

I want to play through again, with the second choice, and see the ending, and how my decision impacted the game (something I didnt even do in the original Metro 2033, which I really liked).

But, I think the 2 playthroughs would be my max, for some reason. And, the 2nd for the alt ending and play stuff, and trying to find all secrets/gold.

I like this game even more than Tomb Raider 2013. :O
Old 05-23-2014, 01:38 AM   #1568   Add To Ignore List  

Thanks for the info. 9+ hours isn't too bad. I usually take my time so I might get a little more than that out of it.

Definitely have to pick this up when I can.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:39 AM   #1569   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3d View Post
@ Fiendien.
No, no manual save. But the saves were VERY smartly managed, and at no time did I ever say '&^(*%*%^$*, no manual saves!@!!!!!! (*)&*%^&^*% RAGE!.
That is no excuse for a pathetic one-size-fits-all design approach. Every player is different. Chances are my eyesight is worse than yours, so what is there to suggest I will not be doing exactly what you just described?

There is literally no game in existence that has excellent checkpoint placement, because whether it is excellent or awful depends on who you ask.

I just wish developers would stop slurping on the level designers' fat cocks just for a moment to think about accessibility and player freedom. There is absolutely no reason for omitting manual saves from the FPS genre, it can co-exist with statically placed checkpoints in harmony, players have the choice to ignore one or the other.

I mean what the hell is next? Will the level designers control weapon switching in the future? The level designers of Serious Sam 3 already control my flashlight, which annoyed the bloody hell out of me.

Last edited by Fiendian; 05-23-2014 at 01:48 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #1570   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendian View Post
That is no excuse for a pathetic one-size-fits-all design approach. Every player is different. Chances are my eyesight is worse than yours, so what is there to suggest I will not be doing exactly what you just described?

There is literally no game in existence that has excellent checkpoint placement, because whether it is excellent or awful depends on who you ask.

I just wish developers would stop slurping on the level designers' fat cocks just for a moment to think about accessibility and player freedom. There is absolutely no reason for omitting manual saves from the FPS genre, it can co-exist with statically placed checkpoints in harmony, players have the choice to ignore one or the other.

I mean what the hell is next? Will the level designers control weapon switching in the future? The level designers of Serious Sam 3 already control my flashlight, which annoyed the bloody hell out of me.
I totally agree.
I dislike the way the gaming industry is going, with weapon wheels, with no manual save, with MULTIPLE keys to press at the same time for 1 action, for capped frame rates, for no 16:10 support, for no proper video/sound options, for no FULL keyboard support (right side keyboard users), and even more that I cant think of now.
Thank the consoles for all of it, too (I dont care what anybody says, almost all of of it is due to consoles).

Old 05-23-2014, 02:38 PM   #1571   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

I have more or less put modern gaming on the shelf. The most recent game I have played is Serious Sam 3 and it turns 3 years old later this year. I'm interested in Doom 4 but my pessimism is at maximum after all the past FPSs released in recent years. If it will have manual saving then there is hope it might earn the developers some of my money.

Oh well. There is clearly no interest within the industry to put that little extra effort towards making the games more accessible for the wide variety of play styles and handicaps out there, not to mention how much PC gaming has gone backwards from a technical standpoint like you said. I have better things to spend my money (and temper) on.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:42 PM   #1572   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

All of those are definitely the result of "consolitis", I don't think anyone would argue otherwise. But it also boils down to pure lazy development. There have been a few ports that have done a great job of providing PC-centric options, but there are other blind ports that don't work well. The weapon wheel is the most notorious of them. I don't mind too much, since I tend to play PC games with a controller anyway unless it's a FPS.

As much as I am loving Far Cry 3, there are a few console-centric "features" that can be annoying at times. The most notorious, for me, is the menu interface. You are forced to use the mouse to navigate options (no arrow key functionality) and you can't hit ESC to back out a level of the menu. Instead you have to manually move your mouse cursor over "BACK". Makes things very tedious.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #1573   Add To Ignore List  

I don't know about you guys but I've noticed a distinct increase in average port quality over the last several years. It was during the time of the first Xbox and early days of the 360 when ports were at their worst. Most of today's PC ports that I've played have proper graphics settings, perform fairly well and have pretty good PC controls.

Regardless of some technical issues, I don't share that pessimistic view. For me there's never been a better time to be a gamer.

Last edited by viper45; 05-23-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #1574   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Another review of Wolf: TNO

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014...c/#more-209009
Old 05-23-2014, 04:45 PM   #1575   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

There's definitely a large increase in port quality in the recent year or so, with things like FOV sliders (thanks to Totalbiscuit and other media people who researched into this and found how it causes health issues), more extended options menu, key rebinding, etcetera.

Sure, it's not perfect, many games still doesn't have manual saving and secondary key slots, but it really is a whole lot better than it was 4-5 years ago. Not optimal, but maybe in 1-2 years we will return to how it was supposed to be.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:38 PM   #1576   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Well, it really is dev laziness, I guess, like NMR says.
If you are going to do a multi-platform release, do it well on ALL platforms. Not just on 1 platform, and then 'maybe' later on patch stuff in so people will actually want to buy your game.

I have certain things that prevent me from buying a game:
No right side keyboard support, INDIVIDUAL/SEPERATE binding for ALL right side keyboard.
No FOV option (low fov gives me a headache, or makes me nauseous). 110-120 fov great, 100 a must.
No mouse options like accel, smoothing. I hate playing with a slow arsed mouse.
60 FPS or above. Actually would prefer uncapped game althogether, but I can at least stomach a 60 fps game. 30 fps makes me nauseous.
Old 05-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #1577   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

I want games that function well even on non state-of-the-art hardware. That's to say; good optimization. Especially important for console ports, they should perform equally well as they do on a PS3/360 instead of requiring a much stronger PC.

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance at least got that right.
Old 05-25-2014, 04:52 AM   #1578   Add To Ignore List  
mfw holidays

Good optimization is very important for new games. I never really thought about the optimization, as all the games I run go ~60fps. But then, CoD Ghosts. Holy mother of God, the game is pure bullshit and a huge insult to PC players.

The hand has five fingers, capable and powerful,
with the ability to destroy as well as create.
Open your eyes, open your mouths,
Close your hands and make a fist.

22:06 - ♠T-ReXx: it's bain's amazing trap
22:06 - ♠Jetroid: Is it amazing?
22:06 - ♠T-ReXx: no
Old 05-26-2014, 03:18 AM   #1579   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3d View Post
I started playing sneak mode, and I actually enjoyed both mode equally (usually I dont like stealth mode at all, but it is growing on me).
YAY
Old 05-26-2014, 11:32 PM   #1580   Add To Ignore List  
The one and only!

Thee Goat Pig is offline Send a message via ICQ to Thee Goat Pig Send a message via AIM to Thee Goat Pig

I have Watch Dogs preloaded through Steam. Will be playing this all day tomorrow.
Yes...God is a sniper.:D - ZEN
Old 05-27-2014, 02:30 AM   #1581   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

My laptop's probably a goner. Playing any slightly demanding game makes the GPU throttle itself really bad giving me very low fps (like after 10-20 mins of play), even the cooling pad's no use anymore, so I either gotta send it for repairs (prolly doing that anyway) or buy a new laptop, so that's most of my gaming out of the window for now...

Could also try to disassemble and try to clean off the dust myself buuut I don't trust myself that much to do it, especially if it's all sealed up so well. It could be that all the thermal paste has worn out too, I haven't kept the laptop in any dusty spaces for long and looking at it from the outside, I can't see anything.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:45 AM   #1582   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

That's a real bummer, dude. Hope you get it working soon.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:25 AM   #1583   Add To Ignore List  
mfw holidays

Wasn't so excited about Watch_Dogs. I'll stick to GTA V for now.

Also, FIX IT WE NEED SERIOUSBOX >:c OR BUY NEW GPU.

The hand has five fingers, capable and powerful,
with the ability to destroy as well as create.
Open your eyes, open your mouths,
Close your hands and make a fist.

22:06 - ♠T-ReXx: it's bain's amazing trap
22:06 - ♠Jetroid: Is it amazing?
22:06 - ♠T-ReXx: no
Old 05-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #1584   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Watch_Dogs need high end PC. Many people say it slow on med-high PC
Old 05-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #1585   Add To Ignore List  
Me? Serious? How?

I can't stop playing Metro 2033 now, especially that I've taken a less Guns-Blazing approach to humans...
Old 05-27-2014, 05:28 PM   #1586   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

It's been a while since my last Metro 2033 rant hasn't it?
Old 05-27-2014, 07:24 PM   #1587   Add To Ignore List  
Me? Serious? How?

Yes, considering I don't recall you ever having one.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:57 PM   #1588   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Just because you didn't see any of them doesn't mean they don't exist.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:22 PM   #1589   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendian View Post
It's been a while since my last Metro 2033 rant hasn't it?
Will you buy REDUX Metro 2033
Old 05-28-2014, 09:02 AM   #1590   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

If it has manual saving I'd be tempted to throw a few bucks at it and make it bark, otherwise not in a million years. If a developer gets a second chance to right the wrong and fails, I'm not going to reward it.