Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam Classic > Serious Sam Classic Workshop > Serious Editor

Serious Editor Discuss mapping ideas & problems or show tutorials and maps.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-21-2003, 10:05 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
blahblahblah

--Fragman-- is offline Send a message via ICQ to --Fragman-- Send a message via AIM to --Fragman-- Send a message via MSN to --Fragman--
Default some random questions...

I decided I'd post some random questions here about things which might be unimportant....
Just to fill the holes of my knowledge of SEd...
so...

1. What is the menu for which appears when you press CTRL+U or when you right click and click on "auto texturize mip layers" ?

2. What are the delta values for which you get in the console when you export a displacement map?
I'm not meaning the heightmap box stuff, I mean the values behind that.

3. What exactly is the volume mode for?

4.What is the "important" flag for in the "n" menu?

5. What are the following icons for:
1. "View sector visibility tweaking (CTRL+D)"
2. "Enable visibility tweaking influence (CTRL+SHIFT+D)"
3. "Update links"
4. "Test connections(back)"
5. "Toggle view pictures (Alt+P)"

6. What is the menu entry "Convert to class" for?
It appears when you right-click on an entity in the Virtual Tree

7. What is the menu entry "Convert list" used for?
It appears in the file menu.

8. What is the menu entry "source safe" and the submenu used for? It also appears in the file menu.

9. What are the polygon properties "Link" and "Occluder" used for?

10. What exactly is the shadow property "dark corners" ? I see that it modifies the shadow, but what exactly does it do?

11. How do gradient markers work?

Ok, I suppose these are all questions I can think of right now. I'll let you know if I get more..

--------------------------
My Page!
Old 04-21-2003, 10:25 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

AverageJoe is offline Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe

To use a gradeint marker:
Add worldbase.
Add gradeint marker.
Set worldbase to link to the gradeint marker.
now select to polys that the gradeint marker will effect.
Go into the tool box and under shadow, select the Gradeint Marker.
Now posistion where you want the light to be gradient. Change the gradeint marker properties so that it fits what you're looking for.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:38 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

I would like to know the answers too, but I canīt answer any of those questions.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:38 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Appears you haven't been religiously reading Serious Editor: Item-by-Item help/doc, as you should be ;-) (see sticky thread regarding it, near top of Mapping forum..... it is a help file (HTML Help .chm) file that can be downloaded and used standalone or integrated into the editor to provide F1/what's this context sensitive help within the editor.

Here are some partial answers, most copied out of the item-by-item

3. "volume" allows one to limit browsing and selection of entities to just those within the portion of the world encompassed by the volume

5.1 "view sector visibility tweaking" (When turned on, this button disables Sector visibility tweaks. Useful if you do some VIS tweaks, and then you can't see some of your objects unless you're in fly mode. But turn this off again when testing your visibility.) (Leo "LSD" De Bruyn)

5.2 "enable visibility tweaking influence" Enable visibility tweaking influence (Ctrl+Shift+D) -- ??????????? ????????????????? relates to the new 0 and 2 check boxes in ?????????????? dialog box
(Similar to previous. ........ Normally leave it off. ) (Leo "LSD" De Bruyn)

5.4 Test Connections (Alt+D) -- test entity connections forward
Test Connections Backward (Alt+Shift+D) -- test entity connections backward
(Moves an entity to next/previous marker. Works for MovingBrush, Camera, Enemy, etc.) (Alen Ladavac)

5.5 "Toggle View pictures" toggles visibility of reference pictures in the front/size/top views on or off (see top, front and right picure settings in World Settings)

6. "Convert to class" was for converting from older (no longer used) "modelholder" to "modelholder2" that FE and SE shipped with.

8. "Source Safe" is a library/version control product (typically used for program source code) that comes with Microsoft Visual Studio (C++ etc.) that is used for storing, tracking and retrieving versions of programs, particularly in multiprogrammer environments where several programmers are potentially dealing with the same code. Could presumably also be used to store other things.... such as successive versions of Serious worlds/maps. Haven't determined if this works.

9. "Link"... per Leo "LSD" De Bruyn.... Unsure as to what this does, however, it appears to be used on portals betwen sectors, so I suggest you check it for these.....
"Occluder".... (Included in visisbility determination/calculation, but never rendered. Usually you would put one large occluder behind a lot of small detail polygons to make fast visibility calculations.) (Alen Ladavac)

(Blocks whatever is behind it from visibility calcs. Looks somewhat like a portal in effect. It's confusing) (Leo "LSD" De Bruyn)

10. "dark corners" per Nathan Wakefield... "

dark corners: the parts of the lightmap that are somewhere between being
light and dark will be rendered as dark"

11. GradientMarker (Davor Hunski)
-Gradient marker is used to define gradient (interpolated color) that is applied as additional shadow. It is used to create more realistic lighting model, since real life light reflects from floors and ceilings, creating shadows that tend to be darker near ceiling and fall gradually towards floor. The same thing happens with illuminating planes, where light intensity falls away from illuminating plane. Position of gradient marker determines origin of gradient. Shadow is interpolated from two given shadow colors along given height. Gradient can also be applied as a dark light, where it is used to remove existing light. Shadow gradients are used to simulate radiosity. See WorldBase->Gradient 0 thru 19 discussion, to find out how gradient markers are linked with polygons (how gradiental shadow can be attached to a polygon).
Old 04-21-2003, 12:48 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

good 'ol mikey!
Old 04-21-2003, 12:53 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
λ

Shrinker is offline Send a message via ICQ to Shrinker Send a message via AIM to Shrinker Send a message via MSN to Shrinker

1. What is the menu for which appears when you press CTRL+U or when you right click and click on "auto texturize mip layers"

Hm.. maybe this one creates new textures when using the auto-mip feature, like seen in Valley Of The Jaguar.. (select a lower mip level there and watch the texture of the temples)

-> 2. What are the delta values for which you get in the console when you export a displacement map?
- I'm not meaning the heightmap box stuff, I mean the values behind that.

Delta often means a difference.
Because we speak about exporting, it could be the difference between the darkest and the brightest spot on the displacement map.

-> 3. What exactly is the volume mode for?

Itīs a mode that can be used to select all entities that are located in an imaginary 3D box that you set and picking some of them.

-> 4.What is the "important" flag for in the "n" menu?

Hm.. maybe it increases the importance for an object to be updated in network games? I dunno.

-> 1. "View sector visibility tweaking (CTRL+D)"
-> 2. "Enable visibility tweaking influence (CTRL+SHIFT+D)"

Visibility tweaking is a feature that was once added with a patch.
It allows setting whether a WB, that is located in two sectors the same time, is shown when you are in a sector or not.
(see WBīs entity properties)

These icons feature can possibly 1. enable/disable the display of visibility tweaking in the windows and 2. enable/disable the visibility tweaking feature.

-> 3. "Update links"

I think this one updates visibility calculations with self-made portals or after a vertex manipulation. (see question 9)

-> 4. "Test connections(back)"

Thatīs something that can be used on a row of entities that target each other, like moving brush markers.
It moves the MB to the point where a connection of targets is lost.
(X targets Y)

Using the back variant, I think you get the MB moved back to the starting position.
(X is targeted by Y)

To see connections, hit G.

-> 9. What are the polygon properties "Link" and "Occluder" used for?

Link is for SEngineīs visibility calculations between sector portals, it should always be activated when using self-made sector-to-sector portals.

btw
LINK and STAIRS attributes are not pasted using CTRL+SHIFT+V, they need to be set manually.

-> 10. What exactly is the shadow property "dark corners" ? I see that it modifies the shadow, but what exactly does it do?

The corners of polys that are enclosed by sloped-in polys stay darker, even if you use brighter lights.
(Like the floor in a room)

*EDIT
Occluder is used to block visibility behind a poly - if you want more info, search for >"Quake 3" +caulk<
   Arrival Mix | Tree of Life

Last edited by Shrinker; 04-21-2003 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:23 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
blahblahblah

--Fragman-- is offline Send a message via ICQ to --Fragman-- Send a message via AIM to --Fragman-- Send a message via MSN to --Fragman--

Ok, thx for the answer guys
@Micheal Harris: I looked through your help file about 10 mins ago, still pretty useful, but I somehow forgot about it when I asked those questions :/ Thx anyways..

about the test connection stuff; I knew it, but I didn't look on the shortcuts so I didn't recognise that it was this function...stupid me...

hmm, still wondering about 7. , there was a note about it in the item by item help file but it didn't help much...is there any use for this function?

My Page!
Old 04-21-2003, 01:25 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
λ

Shrinker is offline Send a message via ICQ to Shrinker Send a message via AIM to Shrinker Send a message via MSN to Shrinker

If only I knew michael would post something too
I didnīt see that when I posted ..

Last edited by Shrinker; 04-21-2003 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:30 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Joben is offline Send a message via ICQ to Joben Send a message via AIM to Joben

Well when you click the "Importants" flag it seems to show you only the realy important basic entities which have a large amount of influence on your world. Player Starts, WSCs Fog/Haze markers, Backround viewers etc.

I think its just so you can find those ones quickly, sorting them out of the piles of triggers, spawners and modelholders etc that a world of any size gets clogged with.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:36 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
blahblahblah

hmm, what is the entities "entitystatedisplay", "area marker", "hudpicholder" and "Environment Base" used for?
I'd especially be interested in hudpicholder and Environment Base...

My Page!
Old 04-21-2003, 01:53 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Joben is offline Send a message via ICQ to Joben Send a message via AIM to Joben

I dont think anyone knows what Enviornment Base is for exactly. AJ asked about it in a thread a little while ago. All we could come up with was whats in the Item by Item.

Quote:
EnvironmentBase -- See EnvironmentMarker below. Appears as cube with X, Y, Z arrow.

(This can be used to create something like moveable modelholders with animations. Not used anywhere in Sam.) (Alen Ladavac)

Supports attachment of multiple models.

EnvironmentMarker -- See EnvironmentBase above. Marks path/behaviour changes ?
Hudpic...i dont know but im gona guess.
...remember in Pompey's Otomosis when you would get a message this snazzy picture would pop up? me bets thats it.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:04 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

that is it.
And at the end of SE the "...To Be Concluded!" inside the confession booth, that's it too.
I've never gotten the Enviroment Base to work, but i'm gonna try something out.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:11 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
blahblahblah

you mean the hudpicholder?
I've tried to use it, but it wouldnt work for me...
I also guess that it shows a picture in the hud...

My Page!
Old 04-21-2003, 02:21 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

Last edited by AverageJoe; 01-17-2008 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-21-2003, 03:25 PM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
blahblahblah

Uhhh, I think I found my problem when I tried it...music holder and background viewer missing....

My Page!
Old 04-21-2003, 04:50 PM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Prophets of Sam

Environment base; I did manage to get some of the functions working on it. Basically it is a moving brush entity, but it doesnt follow the path to the next marker so religiously, also you dont add CSG to it.
You choose the model for it to be, Collison is on automatically, attachments are not loaded. You drop way points with the 'D' Key just like anything else that moves.
It starts to move when you enter the 'Range' and when 'Use Watcher' is True. Stops moving when you leave the 'Range'.
'Watcher frequency' is the time it takes to check whether you are in the 'Range'.
'Move speed' is the speed it moves in meters per second.
'Rotate Speed' is the time it takes to rotate its heading, as it can over and under shoot its markers when the 'Marker Range' property on the markers are set high (Much like the AI).
Attachments are basically what it says. The position is the attachment # represented in the Serious Modeler (Starting from 0 onwards).
'Flying' is whether or not it leaves its Y plane to get to the next marker, basically if this is False and the Environment Base starts on the floor, then it will always stay on the floor, unless forced otherwise.
'Move frequency', cant remember or doesnt do anything.

HTH
Old 04-21-2003, 05:44 PM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

This thread is alot of help, I also forgot IBI.
Old 04-21-2003, 05:47 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
still alive

Philer is offline Send a message via ICQ to Philer Send a message via AIM to Philer Send a message via MSN to Philer Send a message via Yahoo to Philer

can you make a example wld?

my maps, my page
Old 04-21-2003, 05:48 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
still alive

Philer is offline Send a message via ICQ to Philer Send a message via AIM to Philer Send a message via MSN to Philer Send a message via Yahoo to Philer

I mean Unwary_Thief with his Enviromnent Base.

my maps, my page
Old 04-21-2003, 06:45 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

yeah, that would be extreamly helpful
Old 04-21-2003, 07:25 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
still alive

Talking

Thats also mean I^^

I built a really ÜBERCOOL small test room.
I dunno to post here oder in our Craps topic!
Attached Files
File Type: zip cooler_gm_effect2.zip (4.1 KB, 17 views)

my maps, my page
Old 04-21-2003, 07:27 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
still alive

Argh My Internet Explorer ....
LOL

my maps, my page
Old 04-21-2003, 07:28 PM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
still alive

How I delete my Posts?

my maps, my page
Old 04-21-2003, 07:51 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

press the edit button. up near the top of the window there is a checkbox marked Delete, check it then press the "Delete Now" button which is on the same height but on the far righthand side of the screen.
Old 04-21-2003, 07:54 PM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
λ

Sorry, you canīt

Old 04-22-2003, 11:41 AM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

I can delete my posts.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:08 PM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

omg, that was so amazingly pointless it hurts
Old 04-22-2003, 03:33 PM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
still alive

DELETED!!!!!!!!

my maps, my page
Old 04-22-2003, 04:10 PM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
blahblahblah

hmm?
Still 3 posts in a row...but doesn't really matter I think.
Anyways what about this environmentbase entity?

My Page!
Old 04-24-2003, 04:48 PM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

yeah, Nobody can get it to work