Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam Classic > Serious Sam Classic Workshop > Serious Sam Classic Mods

Serious Sam Classic Mods General mod discussion for Serious Sam 1 goes in this forum, also any tutorials/tutorial requests that have not been added to Serious Sam Wiki yet.

View Poll Results: What's your opinion on a FPS Freespace > Serious Sam MOD?
Awesome; I'm willing to contribute my MODding skills! 0 0%
Great idea, I wish I had some way to help out. 12 80.00%
Eh - whatever... 3 20.00%
I wouldn't waste my time. 0 0%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2003, 08:39 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Default Serious Freespace MOD - what do you think?

Quote:
Originally posted by Green Monkey in this thread;
Serious Sam the freespace mod.

Watch out its a flying kamikaze.
The Freespace community is still going strong over at HLP, but I think that even with the semi-recent release of the Freespace 2 Source Code by Volition, it's not quite an ideal engine to put a Serious Sam MOD into.

...However! I've recently had to play the FS1 hallfight sequence movie a few times, and it started a thought. People tried to do a Freespace Red Faction MOD, taking advantage of the GeoMod feature and all, but it has died a very quiet death. The main reason being that most Freespace fans prefer to MOD Freespace, and not some other game they aren't familiar with - not even sticking FS ships into Homeworld (a mod which would have been perfect, and was partially done, but the lack of enthusiasm for it demonstrated the in-some-ways unfortunate tenacity with which FS fans will stick solely to their game engine).

So, the RF MOD is dead... but what about Serious Sam? I know this is a... well... a Serious community ( ), and the Serious Engine is certainly capable of having a very nicely modeled and scripted Shivan bouncing from wall to wall - why not see what people thought?

So I present this question to you: how much enthusiasm is there here to help out with a FS2 > Serious Sam MOD? I'm asking here and not back at HLP because the SS MODding know-how is here, and the development of this MOD would be with you guys first and foremost. Sure, the forumites at HLP would help out as much as they can - I'd make sure of that (I'm an admin there). But the main effort would be you all. Are there enough people interested enough in such an undertaking to actually help out in whatever way they can, or would the majority of people here prefer to sit on the sidelines and watch?

- Yours Truly,
Serious Sandwich

P.S. This is in the OT forum and not the MOD forum because I want to get a wide range of opinions, and because ATM it's no more than a sparkle in my eye. Let's hope that changes.

Last edited by Sandwich; 01-22-2003 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:33 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
designer

Smithboy is offline Send a message via ICQ to Smithboy Send a message via AIM to Smithboy Send a message via MSN to Smithboy

I don't like your reasoning for Off-Topic, but I gotta go so someone else can decide.

You just want more views, u bastage!
Old 01-20-2003, 10:18 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

sounds very interesting.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:43 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Quote:
Originally posted by Smithboy
I don't like your reasoning for Off-Topic, but I gotta go so someone else can decide.

You just want more views, u bastage!
Well, I could care less about views - it doesn't help to have a bunch of people know about something that doesn't exist. What I do need is for more people (preferebly a number greater than the current zero) to honestly vote for the first option.

(Actually, I was originally going to bump the topic I linked to in the first post - the quoted one - but then I thought better of it. :p)

But seriously (sorry, couldn't help myself - that's my trademark over at HLP, which is down ATM - darn Gamespy) - I'd love to hear more input - good or bad, I don't care. I'm not going to get all in a huff just because someone thinks that it's an terrible idea or something.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:32 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

FYI, the thing that prompted me to make this proposal now was something I'd been working on over at HLP - the internal deck layout of a GTC Fenris-class cruiser. At a "mere" 260 meters, it was the smallest warship I could find, and I didn't want to bite off more than I could chew.

One thing that this project (the Fenris internal thing) showed me was that the apparent scale in FS2 is truly way off. In-game, the Fenris looks like it's a mere 5 stories tall or so - but observe:

http://www.3dap.com/hlp/staff/sandwich/fenris-internal-v0.1.gif

This is with decks 2.5 meters high, and 1 meter in-between decks. I then did some further work on it, fleshing out the decks into the 3rd dimension:

http://www.3dap.com/hlp/staff/sandwich/fenris-internal-v0.1.1.gif

And that's just the beginning. I'll soon be cutting out spaces in the decks for computer cores, beam cannon housings, etc etc. But those pics can give you a sense of the true scale of things in FS2 - and also an idea of how huge a SS level you could have on a Shivan-infested Fenris, for example.

Here's a few more shots of the internal corridors - first 2 screengrabs from a cutscene movie, and then a very-much-WIP of the internal corridor I've been making:

1:
http://www.3dap.com/hlp/staff/sandwich/movie_corridor_1.jpg

2:
http://www.3dap.com/hlp/staff/sandwich/movie_corridor_3.jpg

WIP corridor:
http://www.3dap.com/hlp/staff/sandwich/corridor_0.1.jpg

And sorry for the bad-quality renders - Rhino is for modelling, not rendering. :p

Last edited by Sandwich; 01-21-2003 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:12 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

i didnt vote because there wasnt a 5th option 'great idea, but i cant help you' i know for myself i am involved with way to many projects to join another one. you will probably find the same response from most of the better known developers in the serious sam community. there are not a lot of them in the first place so many are clumped around a few mods. if these people from your community are really willing to go at it then its possibly a better idea if you just have them be the main people on it and use this board for support while they learn how to do things with the serious engine. you might get 1 or 2 people from this community to join but making garuntees is premature.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:45 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Quote:
Originally posted by Louva-Deus
if these people from your community are really willing to go at it then its possibly a better idea if you just have them be the main people on it and use this board for support while they learn how to do things with the serious engine. you might get 1 or 2 people from this community to join but making garuntees is premature.
Well, therein lies the problem. Since we're under GameSpy's auspices as their Freespace site, we're limited to covering things that concern the Freespace engine - Star Wars MODs, custom campaigns, etc. And on the flip side of the coin, we can't really cover anything that places the Freespace universe into another game engine, such as what I'm talking about here.

I ceertainly understand how the people with the talents are grouped into a few projects already - we're like that as well. I guess I was hoping for just a few people with know-how to help out from here, like you said - people that would be able to help a bunch of SS MODding newbies the ropes about the Serious engine, level builder, etc.

I had done a search for "Freespace" here, and found quite a number of references to it - mostly of the "What old games do you still love to play" kind. So I figured I might as well find out if enough of those people would be interested in doing something combining both loves - FS and SS.

EDIT:
Quote:
i didnt vote because there wasnt a 5th option 'great idea, but i cant help you'
What do you call the second option?
Old 01-21-2003, 05:22 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Better than default

Tessai is offline Send a message via AIM to Tessai Send a message via Yahoo to Tessai

Hmm....

Well, you don't really need to map all the decks of the ship, and surely most of the back room is taken up by the engines and such.

As LD said, most of our developers are pretty busy, though it does sound like a nifty idea. I never played FS or FS2, but I wish I had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.PUNCH IN THE FACE
I'm a bad influence on children. Childrens damn fault for being influenced by me.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:19 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessai
I never played FS or FS2, but I wish I had.
Well, I don't know about FS1, but you can actually legally get a copy of FS2 from friends or aquaintances - as long as nobody makes money off you for it.

I know - it's the weirdest thing, but it's true - run the FS2 setup, and read through the License Agreement that everyone always skips over. It says, and I copy-paste:

Quote:
You may make copies of the Software for your personal noncommercial home entertainment use and to give to friends and acquaintances on a no cost noncommercial basis.
So go find a friend with a CD burner and FS2!
Old 01-21-2003, 09:25 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandwich
Well, therein lies the problem. Since we're under GameSpy's auspices as their Freespace site, we're limited to covering things that concern the Freespace engine - Star Wars MODs, custom campaigns, etc. And on the flip side of the coin, we can't really cover anything that places the Freespace universe into another game engine, such as what I'm talking about here.
i dont see the problem. you work on this outside of the freespace site. personal side project or something. just because your site is hosted by gamespy doesnt mean you have no life anymore. you dont need to cover anything, thats what seriously is for.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:30 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Quote:
i dont see the problem. you work on this outside of the freespace site. personal side project or something. just because your site is hosted by gamespy doesnt mean you have no life anymore. you dont need to cover anything, thats what seriously is for.
True. Now I just wish I had a million years to learn how to MOD Seriously. Anyone have any outstanding from-square-one tutorials to link to?
Old 01-21-2003, 09:36 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

all the tutorials on our site, the tutorial thread here, and www.seriousengine.com plus you can ask questions in the editing forums.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:45 AM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Ok, I just got a private message that indicated something I may not have made clear, so allow me to clarify:

This is for a Freespace first person shooter, not a flight sim!

If I wanted a flight sim, I would have stuck with the Freespace engine. It's identical to the original, as a matter of fact.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:52 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

yea i dunno how well serious engine 1.50 would do for a flight sim.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:01 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Ok. A few general questions: In very vague terms, how difficult would it be to get a Shivan (those 5-legged creatures) coded nicely in-game? Scripting it's animations and all, I mean. Is it even possible?

Also, multiple gravity fields: I have an idea of how to simulate walking in a zero-gee environment with magnetic boots. Basically, on every large metal surface that the player is likely to walk on, have a gravity field that only goes knee-high or so, so that the player can jump to get into zero-gee, but on the other hand they can walk long that plate normally. Are gravity fields like that possible - do they have to be oriented along an XYZ axis, or can they be set at any angle?

I'm just trying to get a feel for what I'm up against here, so please do excuse the numerous questions.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:23 PM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

it can do both those. theres already a mod for serious sam that uses a zero-g environment.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:06 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Quote:
it can do both those. theres already a mod for serious sam that uses a zero-g environment.
That it can do both of those I already knew, the question is, how easily? I imagine any sort of movement scripting would not be the easiest thing in the world, and with a Shivan's 5 legs.....

And which MOD has zero-G environments? Do they implement the magnetic boots thing as well, or are they pure zero-G?
Old 01-24-2003, 10:11 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
angry

SeriousGrandpa is offline Send a message via ICQ to SeriousGrandpa

i think Jolly Roger has zero-g enviroment.

as for animating models and stuff, you must have a good coder and he should code in the famous SKA support and then all will be easier.

Fragments of the past: SeriousGrandpa's
Use the Fork, because there is no Spoon.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:00 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

the 1.50 ska support is different then the current one. but ska is the best way to go for animation.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:30 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Beware the buttcat

LactosetheIntolerant is offline Send a message via ICQ to LactosetheIntolerant Send a message via MSN to LactosetheIntolerant Send a message via Yahoo to LactosetheIntolerant

jolly roger has magnetic boots i believe.

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Old 01-24-2003, 10:36 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Ok, I haven't gone in the SKA direction, so I don't yet know what that is. But I have been experimenting with multiple gravities all day. I still need to work out how sectors relate to each other, which takes precedence when they overlap, etc, but I certainly think that any and all gravity issues can be resolved with little hassle.

Ok, I haven't seen references to this yet, so I'll ask outright: To what degree is it possible / advisable to build level geometry in an external proggie and import it into Serious Editor? For example, if I wanted to import a big capital ship hull as a "space-walk" level, clamping around the outer hull, what limitations does that have?
Old 01-25-2003, 02:32 AM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

you can import geometry from model files. .lwo .3ds .obj
Old 01-25-2003, 04:40 AM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

sheep is offline Send a message via ICQ to sheep

Limitations??? I say: until it's too much
Look at one of my old videos HERE. You can see an huge battle cruiser (of the terrans). Sam is very very very too small to be displayed on such a cruiser. It will be a level. I remember it takes about 5mins to wall all around him
The battle cruiser was here a "map" (and not a model because i hate using the SKA or the modeller ) but he have been imported from a .3DS file. You can use it as model for gaming//videos sequences (much faster than maps) and as "map" for ambiances (when colliding have to be very precise) but remember a brush is not playable only moovable (and it uses more fps than the model )...
Old 01-25-2003, 08:33 AM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Footballer Orc

i'd like to help out because i like the idea but i not very good with moddin or mappin

I am @@

Dismantled Cow
Old 01-25-2003, 09:16 AM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

Quote:
Originally posted by Dismantled Cow
i'd like to help out because i like the idea but i not very good with moddin or mappin
Well, what can you do?