Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > The Talos Principle

The Talos Principle The home of The Talos Principle: a new IP developed by Croteam.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 06:51 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Default The Talos Principle Public Tech Test!

Everyone!

The Talos Principle will be actually getting a non-permanent demo, called the "Public Tech Test", which will be about testing the games' graphics, technology and the like.

It will be unlocked soon here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/330710/

Post your feedback on the Steam Forums or this very thread once it's out!

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.

Last edited by Solais; 11-06-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:57 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Me? Serious? How?

Default Re: The Talos Principle Public Tech Test!

Will do signor.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:32 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Just noting that it is unlocked right now.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  

Today I finally got my new PC up and running. I might as well use Talos as a benchmark
Old 11-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Wow what the ****? Pre orders in Eastern Europe is 18 euro while pre orders in western europe are 36 euro.... this is the biggest difference in european region prices I've seen on Steam ever

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 11-06-2014, 08:58 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  

Based on the average salary here and there that is how it should be

Well, my first 2014 gaming experience was a fatal error on game launch because I didn't have DirectX 9 runtimes installed. That is so retro. The game settings were auto-detected to ultra which is first time that happened with a post 2003 game (specs can be seen in my profile).

In game framerate went from 29 to 60 on 1080p, it was all over the place, but I didn't feel any stuttering or what not. Maybe I am just used to unstable framerate, because of old the PC I used for so long. Haven't experienced any bugs, except that buggy sign. I don't know anything about the story, but that would indicate the game is played in a holodek or something.

Graphics were OK, nothing special about it. Didn't like the quality of tree models. Leaves look pretty bad. Someone on Steam already requested walking in game, and I support that idea since I spent half an hour exploring the islands before I started playing. Exploration should be done while walking not running like a mad man

One feature I would also request is to be able to disable text like "pick up, drop, etc". I was playing in third person and after I figured out the controls it became distracting. When entering menues the view would switch back to first person, it also happened when I was teleported in to the cathedral which seems to be the one in Zagreb, but then the game ended before I could look around a bit more.

Also that robot should be 20 cm shorter or should jump 20-30cm less. In the castle you had to use the box to jump to the second box, but the robot almost could jump to it by default. The wall at the top of the jump was at his crouch. He could jump up there if he really wanted

Conclusion:

I said this to Vinska on Steam, if I would base my purchase decision on this tech demo I wouldn't buy it. The puzzles were nothing special, you just pick up objects and move them around. I don't like the mini puzzles, but it's OK. That God voice was annoying because I have no context. The PC had some text from Bible or what not which I didn't bother to read, and I have no idea what that woman talked about when I picked up the telescope.

I have no idea how the full game is like, but I'm not digging it right now. The puzzles, voice, texts and everything else lacks context, a connection between it all to make any sense, to "click".
Q.U.B.E. took a simpler approach. You had some puzzles, a facility you had to escape from and it was enough, clicked right away in the trailer.

Last edited by AntonioR; 11-06-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:55 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Me? Serious? How?

Not bad, interest is piqued. It seemed to run just fine on my end. I liked it.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:27 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
「HORY SHET」

It didn't even load for me and crashed my machine three times in a row. Granted, my GPU is below the minimum requirements (barely), but I should be able to at least make it to the options menu and set everything to low. Not here. Freakin' Crysis worked better.

Last.fm | MyAnimeList.net
S!'s MVP (Most Valuable Pole)
Old 11-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

@Sedinus: When Croteam contacts you directly to try and work with you to get the game running, yet you choose to ignore them, I don't think that gives you an excuse to bitch and moan.

@AntonioR: Honestly, judging by your reply, I just don't think this game is for you. Nothing wrong with that, Talos Principle isn't for everyone. The story itself is almost a puzzle, delivered to you in bits and pieces. Like the demo, you are dropped into a world without knowing what it is or why you are there. It really is up to you to explore the terminals to answer those questions. I really love that form of storytelling, but I know it isn't for everyone. If you couldn't be bothered to read the terminal in the demo, then you probably won't enjoy the game.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Zumbul

After playing it I'm waiting for it even more! Also game have crazy fans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFbuuLXdAto
Old 11-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
「HORY SHET」

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMercy Rider View Post
@Sedinus: When Croteam contacts you directly to try and work with you to get the game running, yet you choose to ignore them, I don't think that gives you an excuse to bitch and moan.
I noticed this comment literally 10 minutes ago. Thanks for jumping to conclusions, though. Much appreciated.

Last.fm | MyAnimeList.net
S!'s MVP (Most Valuable Pole)
Old 11-07-2014, 01:28 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMercy Rider View Post
@AntonioR: Honestly, judging by your reply, I just don't think this game is for you. Nothing wrong with that, Talos Principle isn't for everyone. The story itself is almost a puzzle, delivered to you in bits and pieces. Like the demo, you are dropped into a world without knowing what it is or why you are there. It really is up to you to explore the terminals to answer those questions. I really love that form of storytelling, but I know it isn't for everyone. If you couldn't be bothered to read the terminal in the demo, then you probably won't enjoy the game.
Quite contrary, my favorite games are the ones you just described, where I need to figure out what the hell is going on, and I like to find hidden files and articles that reveal the story.

But in this demo it all seems out of place, disconnected. There could be two reasons for that. Maybe this demo is simply too short for someone to get immersed into the story and actually start asking questions and bother to look for answers. Or the developer simply failed to present the story in a right way. Either way this demo was a bit disappointing for me and demos should sell games, at least they used to...

BTW, when I enter the menu and go back to play the game grass is all gone and then it takes few seconds to gradually reaper. Is this normal ?

Last edited by AntonioR; 11-07-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Yes, it's the new streaming tech.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Well just finished the tech demo. Apart from noticing a few places where architecture tended to disappear, it all seemed to work nice and smooth without any issues.

Puzzles were fun, though I probably spent more time just exploring than actually doing the puzzles.

The story I'm still unsure about. I'm intrigued to explore it, but it also seems like it won't be served on a platter like it is in other games (at least not in a meaningful way). So I guess exploring will be the way to go if one wants the full experience.

I liked the minigun hologram. Ode to Sam?

The out of map warning was...strange. But in a good way I guess. Was definitely thinking "what the hell?" when I first experienced it.

Some other fun detail I noticed was the disappearing/disintegrating terminal sign. I guess there's some further meaning to that, so look forward to finding out.

Ran the benchmark after I was done, averaged 33 FPS. Is 30 FPS the target value for the autodetect? It did run smooth, but I usually aim higher with my framerate - but I guess that's because I usually play twitch shooters where having an FPS higher than 30 can actually make a difference. Talos isn't a twitch shooter, so I guess a target of 30 FPS is ok.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:56 PM   #15   Add To Ignore List  

Wait a minute, isn't that hologram a telescope, or I missed the minigun ?

Speaking of benchmark it gave me 45 FPS on ultra. When I turned on vsync I got 30 FPS in game. I don't mind even if were locked at 30 FPS as long it runs smooth.
There is a big difference between high and ultra settings and I rather have stable 30 FPS, than lower the quality of graphics.

Also that streaming grass looks more like a bug when you enter the game from the menu, than advanced tech.
Don't know how it works, but it would be better if it wasn't so "streamy" on higher settings. All grass was simply gone. I would understand if it were in the distance on some huge map.

Last edited by AntonioR; 11-07-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Wait a minute, isn't that hologram a telescope, or I missed the minigun ?
It might have been. Maybe I've been playing too much Sam, so I'm seeing miniguns where they're not appearing.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Well, it seems like there is co-op in Talos after all . Nice one CT. Thumbs up to whoever came up with that one.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:39 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Nice. I am downloading the Talos Principle Public Test now I hope its really good
Old 11-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

I've played it on High/Medium/Ultra and I've never really noticed grass streaming in even though my PC isn't the best. It only disappears for like, fraction of a second at best for me and it's no big deal. I'm more amazed at the streaming possibilities the game has now, it certainly beats the slow loading times for every single level in the past Sam games.

@ Sedinus

Did you actually contact Croteam about it? They'd no doubt appreciate whatever error logs you can give them. Though I wouldn't put too much hope on running it with a below minimum spec GPU as it is a brand new game afterall compared to Crysis...
Old 11-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

I wonder if the new talos game will be playable on crappy laptops like mine. I had to play SSBFE on the lowest quality for it to work. But I think talos may/maynot lag on this.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:33 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
I wonder if the new talos game will be playable on crappy laptops like mine. I had to play SSBFE on the lowest quality for it to work. But I think talos may/maynot lag on this.
I took this challenge and also tested Steam backup in the process. I ran Talos on my old PC:

Athlon64 3000+ (2GHz, single core)
1500 MB Ram (that is DDR 1 clocked at 333MHz)
ATI Radeon HD3650 (512MB, 128 bit)

On lowest settings at 1366x768 I got average 31FPS, and at 1024x768 I got these results:
Quote:
- benchmark results -
02:15:20 INF:
02:15:20 INF: Duration: 60.0 seconds (2171 frames)
02:15:20 INF: Average: 36.2 FPS (37.2 w/o peaks)
02:15:20 INF: Spikes: 90.8 max, 4.5 min
02:15:20 INF: Sections: AI=14%, physics=1%, sound=5%, scene=71%, shadows=0%, misc=9%
02:15:20 INF: Highs: 191 in 3.1 seconds (61.9 FPS)
02:15:20 INF: Lows: 187 in 8.7 seconds (21.6 FPS)
02:15:20 INF: < 20 FPS: 2%
02:15:20 INF: 20-30 FPS: 15%
02:15:20 INF: 30-60 FPS: 78%
02:15:20 INF: > 60 FPS: 5%
The game looked worse than Quake 1, and was all "blurry". I had some sound issues, especially when "God" was speaking. The sound was cracking. But it was playable. This hardware is from 2004, only the graphics card is from 2008. It can run stuff like Half Life 2, Doom 3 or Far Cry on high at >30FPS at 720p/900p. I think I could get over 60FPS in Painkiller with it.

Last edited by AntonioR; 11-07-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

oh my god, that's terrible using an old PC. I bet it won't work with my Windows XP. All the other games work like Quake and Doom though...
Old 11-07-2014, 10:03 PM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Forever Fancy

2004 is 10 years ago...
All the games he mentioned are from around that era as well -_-

Not to be unexpected...
Old 11-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy
oh my god, that's terrible using an old PC. I bet it won't work with my Windows XP. All the other games work like Quake and Doom though...
I see you played SS3 on your laptop, so did I on this PC running XP. It looked like crap, but was playable.

I'm curious why the game looks so bad on lowest settings ? It's like it's rendered at 800x600 and then scaled up. I would expect it would at least look like something from 2003 at native resolution, and not like something from 1997.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:33 AM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Forever Fancy

Playing on lowest settings might actually upscale like you mentioned. If you customize the GPU settings under performance you'll find something called... Max mpix or something. If you set that to the same resolution that the game is running at, you'll get a 1:1 without upscaling or downscaling.

If it's lower than the resolution you're running at, then it's scaling up I believe.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:03 AM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

Yeah the high resolution will increase the cpu load because the game would have to handle more pixels, models and all or something like that.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:27 AM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Resolution affects gpu load more than anything. Judging by Antonio's test I'd say it scales back pretty well, most games now wouldn't run on hardware that old.
Old 11-08-2014, 06:14 AM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

That's why my res is somewhere between 640x480 and 800x600. My monitor is 1400x900.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:09 AM   #29   Add To Ignore List  

Just look at this thread, it's the whole forum in a nut shell. Public test of Croteam's new game and only like four members have tried it out and posted comments here. With >90% of active members being beta testers(who can't talk about it) and with the popularity of Steam this forum seems to hit the all time low.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
The Purple Cat

After playing Talos for the first time I want Talos Principle now for a christmas present! (Though pre-order it before and play it at christmas if it's out)