Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 4

Serious Sam 4 The place to talk about Croteam's next title: Serious Sam 4! What do you know? What do you hope to see in the next Sam game?

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #31   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Default Re: Serious Sam 4: Planet Badass revealed

Damni, so it's not open world... Well my expectations just dropped again. Was hoping for something new, but maybe E3 will surprise me.

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 04-19-2018, 12:04 PM   #32   Add To Ignore List  
ideas but no skills

Seriously! Archivist/Slave

Keep your expectations reasonable, mang.

I was genuinely surprised at how seemingly open world it appeared to be because past SS levels are just giant box arenas with no sense of it being a "real" place like the atmosphere the trailer had.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #33   Add To Ignore List  
Saruman the Pimp

Seriously! Beardmaster

Like most video game announcement trailers, there's not enough here to get me excited... yet. I'm just glad that it is officially official now. Coming from someone who loves open world games, I'm really glad SS4 isn't going that route, since I don't think it would work for the SS formula. You need a deep story, engaging NPCs, and versatile gameplay to really make open world work. Not saying Croteam can't do any of those things, it just hasn't been a staple for any SS game. Plus, open world games usually boil down to 10 types of quests that are copy-pasted 100 times in a huge world.

I'm hoping the cross-platform play listing on Steam means that this is also coming to consoles. I'm a console scrub nowadays.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #34   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

I think the biggest issue would be the enemies. Serious Sam has usually had pretty well thought-out enemy waves (even if it doesn't always seem like it), something that just wouldn't work in an open world game. Just having the same enemies spawn in areas you walk through time and time again would get boring real fast.

In other news, this "camping" sign in the trailer is in English and only in English, which could mean that at least a part of the game takes part in Britain or America. Although the presence of the snowy mountains near big open plains makes it unlikely that the location in the trailer is either. Who knows.

https://i.imgur.com/ThNTuZA.png

There's also some sort of skull insignia on Sam's bike which I can't make out. I wonder what it is.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #35   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Joke aside, no mater the light similarities, I like this new Sam look. It's a bit closer to the classic FE/SE character, it's more bulked than the HD/SS3's slender Sam.

https://i.imgur.com/8J0ee67.png
Old 04-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #36   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

It's a good sign that the levels are so huge and epic that long time SS veterans have been fooled into thinking that the game is open world.

Oh man, these next two months are going to be hell.

Edit: There, now we can say that the game has been announced. You happy now, Discy?

Last edited by LordAngus; 04-19-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:55 PM   #37   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

From the looks of the brawl, SS still requires pulling out a SB (Serious Bomb) out of his back pocket? Shake the landscape and fell off the bike?
Old 04-19-2018, 04:14 PM   #38   Add To Ignore List  
bad avatar edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catonator View Post
I think the biggest issue would be the enemies. Serious Sam has usually had pretty well thought-out enemy waves (even if it doesn't always seem like it), something that just wouldn't work in an open world game. Just having the same enemies spawn in areas you walk through time and time again would get boring real fast.

In other news, this "camping" sign in the trailer is in English and only in English, which could mean that at least a part of the game takes part in Britain or America. Although the presence of the snowy mountains near big open plains makes it unlikely that the location in the trailer is either. Who knows.

https://i.imgur.com/ThNTuZA.png

There's also some sort of skull insignia on Sam's bike which I can't make out. I wonder what it is.
The small "house"y thingy with "PP 76" written on it is 100% Croatian. You can see it all over the country. But I wouldn't know about other countries since I wasn't outside of Croatia that much.

But it wouldn't be the first time for Croteam to use random textures with Croatian bullshittery written on it. I'm 100% sure there's a cuss word hidden somewhere on that model.

The hand has five fingers, capable and powerful,
with the ability to destroy as well as create.
Open your eyes, open your mouths,
Close your hands and make a fist.

22:06 - ♠T-ReXx: it's bain's amazing trap
22:06 - ♠Jetroid: Is it amazing?
22:06 - ♠T-ReXx: no
Old 04-19-2018, 05:13 PM   #39   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

I really wonder how they will handle vehicles differently compared to SS2. It didn't work very well in that game.

Last edited by MentalParadox; 04-19-2018 at 06:12 PM. Reason: I read the damn thread.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:24 PM   #40   Add To Ignore List  
kef
Kleer

It's not open world. Read the damn thread.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:31 AM   #41   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-ReXx View Post
The small "house"y thingy with "PP 76" written on it is 100% Croatian. You can see it all over the country. But I wouldn't know about other countries since I wasn't outside of Croatia that much.

But it wouldn't be the first time for Croteam to use random textures with Croatian bullshittery written on it. I'm 100% sure there's a cuss word hidden somewhere on that model.
Croteam was in the process of scanning parts of Croatia ever since Serious Engine 3 started development. They have whole parts of Zagreb rendered in the engine. The first survival map in SS3 is the monastery in Makarska with the mountain Biokovo in the background. Other Mediterranean themed maps are also from here, but I can't pin point it.

That game Scum they help to make is set on island Brač, but for the game it is supposed to be a French island, since Croatia is not cool enough I guess. The same will be with SS4, they will use some local assets to make other countries and spice it up with Talos Principle a bit.

The whole process would make a nice documentary. They only mentioned a bit in SS3 bonus video about Egypt. I don't know if they included something similar in Talos, since I never played it ?
Old 04-20-2018, 01:10 AM   #42   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

If you talk about Vila survival map - I think it was originally part of a roman themed level in the Next Encounter, developed by Climax.

Last edited by Serious Sam(BG); 04-20-2018 at 04:12 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:49 AM   #43   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Sam(BG) View Post
If you talk about Vila survival map - in think it was originally part of a roman themed level in the Next Encounter, developed by Climax.
https://i.imgur.com/tB2Nb.jpg

It is not 100% the same, but it is obvious what it is. What kind of villa has a church bell tower ?

https://i.imgur.com/e5kUbzdm.jpg

http://makarska.hr/phpthumb/phpThumb.php/?src=/clients/1/uploads/city%20(23).JPG&w=500&h=750

The mountain was photographed few kilometers to the west (notice the < shaped forest formation in the middle). The island of Brač which I mentioned they recreated for Scumm, is across the sea, just 6 miles away from these locations. It's obvious they spent some time in this region. Even one of the musicians for the SS3 multiplayer tracks is from this town. Maybe some of the lead developers is originally from somewhere around here.

Btw, if you recognize this mountain from another game, it may be you saw it in the latest Grand Turismo.

https://l7.alamy.com/zooms/8937a515bb244850a997dce610f23741/croatia-dalpatia-makarska-riviera-promajna-beach-swimmers-europe-destination-b9hwf8.jpg

Last edited by AntonioR; 04-20-2018 at 02:27 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:02 AM   #44   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Wow I'm very pleased and excited for SS4. Thank you Croteam and SS fans and friends around here.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:58 AM   #45   Add To Ignore List  
kef
Kleer

SS4 was globally trending on Twitter for a short while when it was announced yesterday.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:33 AM   #46   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
***Facts about villa level***
Thanks, I didn't know this, I accept the facts you exposed, but still is just a cosmetic addition to the first yard from the next encouter's map "Senator Cicero's Villa".
Old 04-20-2018, 07:15 AM   #47   Add To Ignore List  
(⌐■_■)

Why you guys would want an open world in a god damn SERIOUS SAM?
Old 04-20-2018, 08:40 AM   #48   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

I truly love most of what I saw so far in Sam 4. I gave some early feedback on Steam yesterday, but no one responded to it yet. If we really get a vehicle section or two, then I'm in. Also, the Shotgun no longer has a modern military design, depicting a Mossberg 500 this time. We might see a newly designed Minigun, judging by the logo of Serious Sam 4.

I can't wait until E3 to learn more about it.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #49   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

I just wish they'd stop changing things that don't need to be changed. The minigun is iconic. Leave it the way it is.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #50   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalParadox View Post
I just wish they'd stop changing things that don't need to be changed. The minigun is iconic. Leave it the way it is.
I thought the Minigun looked different at first, but it seems pretty identical to the one in BFE.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #51   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

It looks like the barrels are further apart or there's less of them, but that could always just be an artistic choice for the logo. It seems the same as SS3's minigun otherwise.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:13 PM   #52   Add To Ignore List  
(⌐■_■)

Will Serious Sam ever take off his glasses to show us his eyes? He only did that in the Second Encounter and Serious Sam 2. There must be a theory about it.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:04 PM   #53   Add To Ignore List  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maska322 View Post
Will Serious Sam ever take off his glasses to show us his eyes? He only did that in the Second Encounter and Serious Sam 2. There must be a theory about it.
Making the eyes look good is probably the hardest part for animators. By simply giving everybody sunglasses, like they did in SS3, they save a ton of time and nobody can complain that it looks bad.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:23 AM   #54   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maska322 View Post
Why you guys would want an open world in a god damn SERIOUS SAM?
Just me in this thread, I think. I've already said, we need some fresh things in the game. An open world Sam game could have potential. But if it's not open world, we'll have to see what the new fresh thing is.

This teaser trailer doesn't show much of improvement in the graphics department (the exploding/blood effect, ugh), so let's hope there's a lot more to see in the gameplay department

CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 04-21-2018, 11:26 PM   #55   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

I'm guessing the reason why the graphics are unimpressive is because the assets were created before TTP began development (since it is based off of SS4) and Croteam didn't have the time and/or funding to replace them. Oh well, the notion that gameplay is more important that graphics is especially true for SS.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:14 AM   #56   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Yeah but at that point it might even feel like a DLC for Sam 3. But it's too early to say now, let's wait for E3.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:33 AM   #57   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

What if they intentionally used obsolete graphics, just to lower our expectations?
Old 04-22-2018, 07:10 AM   #58   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

I hope they do the deathmatch and versus game modes right finally for the first time in 16 years... (that't the only thing I care about honestly, croteam can't fail to deliver a good campaign)

For now I'm quite pleased with Sam's look, he looks just the way he's supposed to it highly reminds me on the original TFE's box art and old in-game model with those badass shades!
And the shotgun looks just like it's supposed to, well I hope that they are goin to drop the stock,
thats reserved for the DB.
Gonna pre-order the game as soon as they put it on! Can't wait to roll on the Desert Temple once again

Last edited by Thekazuya005; 04-22-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #59   Add To Ignore List  
Whoop-De-Doo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
An open world Sam game could have potential.
I my opinion, Serious Sam suddenly being open world merely has the potential to lose a lot of what makes Serious Sam great. It's just not possible to design an open world as tightly as Croteam has designed the Sam campaigns so far. Plus, modern open world games tend to have a serious case of "too much to do, but not enough to experience"-syndrome -- the map is littered with side quests, NPCs, maybe even landmarks, but the only thing you pick up there are mundane fetch quests, "go to this place and look at the thing" quests, "go to this place and talk to the man" quests, or a combination of all of the above. Mere busywork. Nothing that stays remotely engaging, or leaves any kind of memorable impression. Mass Effect Andromeda is the prime example here; Wide as an ocean, deep as a milk spill in the kitchen.

We have precedent for what happens when a previously linear old-school first-person shooter decides to go open world in its sequel, and that is Shadow Warrior 2. Which was, to put it mildly, not a very good game; and the open world, in my opinion, was a big factor in why.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just sick and tired of every franchise and their mother going open world these days. Sometimes, I just crave a masterfully crafted, tightly designed experience that knows what's going to come, has full control over what happens and when, and can push all the buttons it needs to deliver an exciting and tense experience. You just don't get as much control over your game and what happens in it in an open world - that's a simple fact. That linearity doesn't have to be bad, and, to the contrary, can add tremendously to a game, has been adequately proven by DOOM, which is probably - by far - the best modern old-school FPS I've ever had the pleasure to play.

Sam 3 has had its shortcomings, but I don't think the solution would be to slap an open world on it. It reeks of "innovation" for the sake of "innovation" to me; or, the very thing that ruined Shadow Warrior 2. I hope Croteam took a long, hard look at DOOM and discussed/analyzed what made it as great as it ended up being. Modern old-school shooters certainly have a lot to learn from it.

Last edited by Pascal40; 04-22-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #60   Add To Ignore List  
有毒物質

Why do people keep saying that Sam4 graphics look outdated? B|