Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Off Topic Forum

Off Topic Forum Discuss anything and everything in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2016, 02:38 PM   #31   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

Default Re: New computer - please do help :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
Hmm, how good is the airflow on that?
Refreshing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3d View Post
I dislike dust filters.
You have to clean them out more regularly than you do cases w/o them.

Case with filters:
Clean every 2 weeks

Case w/o filters:
Clean every month to 2 months.

For people with bad backs, neck, and other health issues, like me, every 2 months is great (although my wife still has to help me clean it).
Hire a midget.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:15 AM   #32   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
I dislike dust filters.

Case with filters:
Clean every 2 weeks

Case w/o filters:

For people with bad backs, neck, and other health issues, like me, every 2 months is great (although my wife still has to help me clean it).
I live smack dab in the city center, where apparently our municipality decides it's necessary to have all-year-round construction right outside our building. Basically we can't open our windows and doors for longer than ten minutes without getting a shitload of dust and crap in our house, so my computer would be destroyed without a dust filter.

How bad is the dust buildup in your house? I hope it's not nearly as bad as that.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 05-11-2016, 09:33 AM   #33   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

Quote:
3. Putting together and testing components

4. Silencing computer

And i already own Geforce 970, so not buying new gpu....
Since you already have 970... good, keep using it. If then you crave for a new GPU, go for 1080.

As other mention, #3 and #4... perhaps you have a trusted friend put it together for you. but, I understand that "if" something goes wrong, you can take it back to those guys (make sure you get whatever agreed services in document).

As I am also holding off for next CPU. I was determined to do a new build with Skylake, but Kaby Lake is coming out soon... Yes, I know no differences but Skylake uses 3rd party to run USB 3.1 while Kaby Lake will be naive USB 3.1 (and a little better buildin GPU). Also, just so you know... from what I understand, current Skylake MBs (before Kaby Lake) will not work with Kaby Lake CPU (even both are socket 1151).

I don't know about M.2 (I am plan to use regular SATA, aren't those fast enough still?).

As for me, I am getting a onboard DVI port (for example, Z and B models have those). that way if GPU dies (happen to me) or need to take out GPU card, I would have onboard DVI to continue use. I will NOT be able to afford a new GPU when I do my build, so I will use onboard DVI in meantime until I can afford 1080 someday.

You didn't mention what kind of cooling... suggestion to stick with air cooler (get a good one, doesn't have to be huge). Water cooling could become bad (just that it can leak, thats all I am saying). I was almost determined to do Corsair H80i, but changed mind.

Just a thought... why not get BluRay player (NOT Blyray burner), and you will still be able to burn DVDs/CDs.

If you want/need a new build now, of course, Skylake is great.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:43 AM   #34   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNT View Post
I don't know about M.2 (I am plan to use regular SATA, aren't those fast enough still?).
SATA 3 is limited at 600 MB/s, many new SSDs are faster than that, and SATA will just cripple their performance. M.2 Gen3 x4 can do 32 GB/s teoretically, so with one of those you're set for whatever fast SSDs come out in the future.
Old 05-11-2016, 12:29 PM   #35   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zocky View Post
@ LordAngus,
Well no, not really, i'm not interested in 1070. Simply because 970 is still pretty much card and i don't shit money.

Tnx guys for all the help!

Just not sure about 256gb SSD, not sure if it's enough or not, but it's true that i'm not ready to pay extra 200€ for more.
I know, which is why I pointed out it's only 349 U.S. The rest of the stuff you are getting isn't exactly bottom of the line either. But whatever, you do what you want.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #36   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Geforce 970 isn't really bottom of the line either, you know.

I'll probably change it at some point, but to change 970 for another 380€ card, is a bit too.....lets say, expensive for me. As i said, i already have it, it should serve really well for some time, so eh, new gpu can wait.

tnx all for help!
https://www.artstation.com/artist/zocky
Old 05-11-2016, 04:57 PM   #37   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
They're quit a bit more expensive here. And that's the reason I got the R4, the R5's improvement are hardly worth the more expensive price. I care about storing my components in a case that isn't shit, and that one happened to fit my needs for the right price.
I have an R2 or R3 - can't remember. It was the newest version when I built my PC. It's a great case. My PC is inaudible, even in the middle of the night with everything else in the apartment turned off. It gets audible once you load it up, but with an open air cooler on the GPU, it doesn't get loud.

Quote:
I dislike dust filters.

Case with filters:
Clean every 2 weeks

Case w/o filters:

I clean the dust filters in my case when I remember to do so, which is probably around every 2 months. And it takes roughly 5 seconds to do so, as I just vacuum them while I'm vacuuming the rest of the apartment. No need to pick anything apart, as they're easily accessible from the outside of the case. I don't even bother turning off the PC or the fans when I do so. It's probably not optimal for the fans, but they haven't suffered death yet (5 years in) and they don't seem to be running worse than you would expect for their age (in this particular case, that means they're pretty much running like new).

If you ask me, that's a hell of a lot easier than pulling the PC apart to blow dust out of all the inner parts and all the heat sinks with compressed air.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:01 PM   #38   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Not to mention dis-assembling some components like the power supply for example, voiding any warranty it might have left, to clean the dust that has managed to get inside.. which believe me, can be quite a lot if there's no filters.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:00 AM   #39   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasser View Post
I have an R2 or R3 - can't remember. It was the newest version when I built my PC. It's a great case. My PC is inaudible, even in the middle of the night with everything else in the apartment turned off. It gets audible once you load it up, but with an open air cooler on the GPU, it doesn't get loud.
Yeah, the fact that I can't even hear my hard drive bodes very well for the sound-dampening qualities of this case series. The only drawback is that the sound-dampening materials cause it to weigh a fucking ton, but I don't plan to lug it around or anything.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:40 AM   #40   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

not only that, the case is built from thick sheets of steel just like my cm haf 922, so I know how it feels to try to lift one of those
Old 05-12-2016, 08:03 PM   #41   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasser View Post

I clean the dust filters in my case when I remember to do so, which is probably around every 2 months. And it takes roughly 5 seconds to do so, as I just vacuum them while I'm vacuuming the rest of the apartment. No need to pick anything apart, as they're easily accessible from the outside of the case. I don't even bother turning off the PC or the fans when I do so. It's probably not optimal for the fans, but they haven't suffered death yet (5 years in) and they don't seem to be running worse than you would expect for their age (in this particular case, that means they're pretty much running like new).

If you ask me, that's a hell of a lot easier than pulling the PC apart to blow dust out of all the inner parts and all the heat sinks with compressed air.
You must not live in a desert, or near construction all the time.
I have forgotten to clean filters for a month or 2, and had hardware suffer from it, as the filters were totally clogged (I was wondering why my computer was crashing, lol).
To each his own though.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:32 AM   #42   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Ok thanks everyone!

New computer just arrived today and yay, does it work fast or what.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:39 AM   #43   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Ok thanks everyone!

New computer just arrived today and yay, does it work fast or what.
Notebook ?

I soon go away for cruise for 17 days so I bought HP Stream 11" beautiful blue notebook - Windows 10 ready....

Last edited by Wezilla; 05-28-2016 at 02:42 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:46 AM   #44   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezilla View Post
Notebook ?
Lol no, when did i mention notebook? I need sort of good comp for the work i plan to use it on.

Intel i7 6700k 4.0Ghz
Geforce 970
Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P
SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500gb
Arctic Freezer Cooler
Seagate trdi disk 4TB 3,5" SATA3 6GB/s 64MB
COOLER MASTER Silencio 550 RC-550-KKN1 midi
16gb (1x) DDR4
And really like the case, i pretty much don't hear any sound at all, and seems like dust shouldn't be as problematic either.

Last edited by Zocky; 05-28-2016 at 02:48 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 02:50 AM   #45   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Thumbs up Re: New computer - please do help :P

Quote:
Lol no, when did i mention notebook? I need sort of good comp for the work i plan to use it on.

Intel i7 6700k 4.0Ghz
Geforce 970
Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P
SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500gb
Arctic Freezer Cooler
Seagate trdi disk 4TB 3,5" SATA3 6GB/s 64MB
COOLER MASTER Silencio 550 RC-550-KKN1 midi
16gb (1x) DDR4
And really like the case, i pretty much don't hear any sound at all, and seems like dust shouldn't be as problematic either.
Very nice
Old 05-28-2016, 04:04 AM   #46   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

make sure you install Denuvo-protected games on the HDD and not the SSD, if you want it to last
Old 05-28-2016, 07:27 AM   #47   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

I'll install all games on HDD, since i don't play them all that much to really need SSD for it i think. I'll just use ssd for editing and stuff.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:46 AM   #48   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Congrats, may you have a lot of productivity and fun with it.

Old 05-28-2016, 10:12 AM   #49   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Thank you very much!
Old 05-28-2016, 01:03 PM   #50   Add To Ignore List  

What's the point of a large 500 GB SSD if you don't plan to install games on it too ? If you don't play many games anymore it means it won't take too much space and loading times should be much faster when you do.

How much space does your 3D work require ?

Last edited by AntonioR; 05-28-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:11 PM   #51   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

More than games usually take, that's for sure....

My Unreal Engine 4 folder (projects) is already 17gb large and i didn't even start to make anything yet....
Old 05-28-2016, 01:43 PM   #52   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

One could argue it is beneficial to leave a lot of free space, at least if there is frequently changing data being stored on the SSD. If you use most of the space it means those repeated writes wear out the remaining cells much faster than otherwise. Would probably not make a difference in practice, it's only theoretical pondering.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:28 AM   #53   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Modern solid state drives have firmware that spread the usage of writing to individual cells so that the wear is even (as much as possible, anyway). I read somewhere that with the firmware spreading out the cell usage the time it takes to wear out a solid state drive is about eight to ten years. Don't quote me on that, though.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:49 AM   #54   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

Quote:
Modern solid state drives have firmware that spread the usage of writing to individual cells so that the wear is even (as much as possible, anyway). I read somewhere that with the firmware spreading out the cell usage the time it takes to wear out a solid state drive is about eight to ten years. Don't quote me on that, though.
Too late.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:15 AM   #55   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

Quote:
Modern solid state drives have firmware that spread the usage of writing to individual cells so that the wear is even (as much as possible, anyway).
That's the mechanism I had in mind, but does it move already written data around during writes to free up cells in order to maintain a universal balance across the drive? I had imagined it wouldn't do that for performance reasons, since programs may be using the data it wants to move, plus it sounds like that would be a lot of overhead wear for all the cells (Basically 1 write costing 2 writes and a read).
Old 05-29-2016, 01:06 PM   #56   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Is video editing ok on SSD ?
Old 05-29-2016, 01:19 PM   #57   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiendian View Post
That's the mechanism I had in mind, but does it move already written data around during writes to free up cells in order to maintain a universal balance across the drive? I had imagined it wouldn't do that for performance reasons, since programs may be using the data it wants to move, plus it sounds like that would be a lot of overhead wear for all the cells (Basically 1 write costing 2 writes and a read).
It's writing to cells that wear them out, not reading, so I guess existing data won't be moved around. There's probably some index algorithm magic that checks for a cluster of unused cells that has the lowest write amount when creating data.

Old 05-29-2016, 05:16 PM   #58   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Yeah, the gotcha happens when the drive is like 99% full or something, and some program/component is using it for data caches/frequently changing data to some degree; those last GBs worth of cells may wear out extremely fast while the cells containing the static data are happy and healthy.

I haven't decided yet exactly how I will use my SSD. Right now it's only storing installed programs and Windows. I'm tempted to install some games on it just to see the loading times in comparison to what I was getting before, like with Doom 3 fx.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:15 PM   #59   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

Quote:
Is video editing ok on SSD ?
Best to use 4TB Western Digital Caviar Black for video files. Use SSD (or M.2) for OS and software. Also, make sure it's got USB 3.x (and no bottleneck all through).
Old 05-29-2016, 08:32 PM   #60   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNT View Post
Best to use 4TB Western Digital Caviar Black for video files
I like how specific this is. We got a WD salesman right here.