Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Off Topic Forum

Off Topic Forum Discuss anything and everything in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2016, 10:59 AM   #91   Add To Ignore List  
CNT
Albino Cyclops

Default Re: New computer - please do help :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR
What's the point of a large 500 GB SSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy
Heh, I suppose you never want to fill up your SSD more than 50-60%, lest it will start overusing the free cells for temporary storage and swapping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finzy
Proud new owner of a small 128 GB SSD now too. Just worried it'll fill up damn fast, even with pretty much Windows 10 and a few utilities installed atm it's already at 77 gb free. Will probably need to relocate my documents etc. folders to the HDD.
That's the point... 500GB is good for today's standard. that is... OS, MS Office, and a few preference software/utilities (like PDF, AiO printer, Adobe, etc).

The statement "install on other partition/HD" is obsolete. Who does that today? Lets say install MS Office on another partition... do your homework and watch how much files gets to install onto the C: even directing "installation" to another drive letter. Not only that, if reinstalling OS (or even possible mere updates), that "other partition" is junk. Same goes for installing video editing software. But, for video files, and editing videos, obviously on another HDD. Now, speaking of games... that's a little different. Installing games on another HDD is wise.

Quote:
reinstall windows
I do that when I feel like. My family (including myself) surf on internet, download stuff, all that, so things gets filling up, including spam/virus (even with Kasperski). I say I reinstall Windows about 2 times a year. But, with my own build, which I use little less (since I use the Family PC too) and more cautious, that PC gets Windows reinstall in about every 2+ years.

Chuck
Old 06-15-2016, 01:37 PM   #92   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNT View Post
500GB is good for today's standard. that is... OS, MS Office and a few preference software/utilities (like PDF, AiO printer, Adobe, etc).
Standard? For whom exactly? I have a 224 GB SSD and it just went below 200 GB free space when I installed the last piece of program I need. Even my old messy 232 GB HDD that I had used for years worth of studying was still more than 50% free after installing over 20 development programs including several Visual Studio versions.

I think you should wait more years before making such extreme claims. It takes time for all the major programs to gain enough needless bloat, and for SSDs to come down in price vs storage capacity.

Your preference programs list is very strange btw. You don't mention browsers, music players or instant messengers but do mention a PDF reader, printing software and something arbitrary from Adobe (who also makes a PDF reader). Do you even need printing software nowadays? The OS has built-in drivers and a spooler service. Heck, I think it has been over 10 years since I even had a printer hooked to one of my computers.

Last edited by Fiendian; 06-15-2016 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:27 PM   #93   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

I have over 150gb of used space on my C drive. And that's just windows and software. All my games and projects are on other partitions.
Old 06-17-2016, 02:06 AM   #94   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Not even gunna say my stuff.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:02 PM   #95   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

You should say that you have 300Tb on a 3.5" floppy disk
Old 06-17-2016, 02:40 PM   #96   Add To Ignore List  
Hey ladies

Glowing Red Stove Top

Fiendian is offline Send a message via ICQ to Fiendian Send a message via MSN to Fiendian

You probably mean 300 TB, not 300 Tb. And if I wanted to be super-anal about it; TiB.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #97   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

FuB