Seriously!
Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2004, 10:33 AM   #1  
0wner

Seriously! Reaper

Post Half-Life 2 to Use Serious Engine 2.0

Following the recent Game Developer's Conference, Valve has issued the following press release on the status of Half-Life 2:
Quote:
Half-Life 2 to use Serious Engine 2.0

Bellevue, Wash. - April 1, 2004 - Valve Corporation today announced that their upcoming project, Half-Life 2, is in the process of being converted to the next version of the Serious Engine, Serious Engine 2.0.

The company's Founder and Managing Director, Gabe Newell, detailed time constraints and security concerns brought about due to the recent theft of the Source Engine source code from Valve's offices. "It is extremely unfortunate that someone decided they would break into our network and steal the Source engine and much of Half-Life 2 from us, and we have done our best in order to fix much of the damage that was caused," Newell stated, "however, we cannot in good confidence release a secure product in a reasonable time-frame under these circumstances."

"I understand this will come as a shock to many of our fans and supporters, and we appreciate all the help provided by the gaming community as a whole following the theft of Half-Life 2," Newell continued, "but this is a necessary step in order to finish Half-Life 2 within the timeframe gamers have demanded, as well as providing a secure platform for mod developers and third-party development houses alike."

At the recent Game Developer's Conference in San Jose, California, Valve was in close contact with Croteam after viewing their technology demo. By the end of the conference, Gabe Newell and Roman Ribaric, founder and CEO of Croteam LLC, had signed a licensing agreement.

Roman Ribaric was enthusiastic about the partnership formed between Croteam LLC and Valve Corporation. "This is an opportunity to combine the strength of two outstanding software companies, merging the ability of Croteam to create high-quality and robust game engines with the talent of Valve software to create a fully immersive and compelling game experience."

Several of Croteam's staff will be working in-house with the Valve development team in order to fully acquaint them with the new Serious Editor, the scripting engine, and other components of Serious Engine 2.0. Half-Life 2 and Serious Sam 2 are both expected to ship Q4 2004.

#########

About Valve Corp.
Valve is an entertainment software company founded in 1996 by Gabe Newell and Mike Harrington and based in Kirkland, Washington. Valve's debut product, Half-Life, released in November, 1998, has won more than 50 Game of the Year honors worldwide and has been called "a smash hit" by the Wall Street Journal. Half-Life was named "Best PC Game Ever" in the November 1999 issue of PC Gamer, the world's best-selling PC games magazine. Half-Life is published by Sierra Studios.

About Croteam LLC
Founded in 1993, Croteam is a private, Croatia-based corporation dedicated to developing outstanding, immersive electronic games that surpass conventional technology and deliver compelling and repeatable play. Makers of the award-winning "Serious Sam" series, Croteam is currently developing the highly anticipated sci-fi first-person shooter epic “Serious Sam 2". For more information, surf to www.croteam.com.

Check back soon for exclusive screenshots and video on the progress of both of these upcoming games!
Old 04-01-2004, 11:10 AM   #2  
blahblahblah

--Fragman-- is offline Send a message via ICQ to --Fragman-- Send a message via AIM to --Fragman-- Send a message via MSN to --Fragman-- Send a message via Skype™ to --Fragman--

April Fools!
You should have used DNF, that would've been even more funnier

--------------------------
My Page!
Old 04-01-2004, 11:15 AM   #3  
What is?...

Half-Life 2 aka Half-Life Forever
Old 04-01-2004, 11:16 AM   #4  
Simba

Wink Hmmmmmm...

Well, haven't posted in a minute... but hmmmm... this sounds too sweet to be good... at first I was like "Uhahah, it's all coming together, now I won't have to learn two engines, but one and the one that I enjoy the most and are familiar with more." but then I thought .... could this be an april fools joke... I don't won't to ruin it for everyone but I DO want to know the truth so I don't get my hopes up about this partnership... it just seeems too good to be true... you guys made get my password again just to post this up... love ya though.

Dooks
Old 04-01-2004, 11:39 AM   #5  
Beware the buttcat

LactosetheIntolerant is offline Send a message via ICQ to LactosetheIntolerant Send a message via MSN to LactosetheIntolerant Send a message via Yahoo to LactosetheIntolerant

i was expecting something better, rod.
truthfully, i was expecting to see "powered by gamespy" and related pictures and icons all over the site. that would have been subtle, but maybe a bit too subtle.

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
Old 04-01-2004, 01:59 PM   #6  
Mental

Joben is offline Send a message via ICQ to Joben Send a message via AIM to Joben

/me looks at the date.

/me yawns.

I run a Minecraft server, PM if interested.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:07 PM   #7  
Ugh Zan III

Jedi Outcast is offline Send a message via AIM to Jedi Outcast Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Outcast

hey i wouldnt mind.

My Maps:
{Multiplayer}
Lunar Eclipse (FE)
Lunar Chaos (SE)
Old 04-01-2004, 03:24 PM   #8  
Ugh Zan III

Rod you can do better than that. Just by looking at the title it was obvious what it was. Though it was a fun read, i still think it was too obvious (and no i couldn't have done it any better, because i can't fool anyone...)
Old 04-01-2004, 03:29 PM   #9  

nice try though
Old 04-01-2004, 03:37 PM   #10  
G-Type Crazy

AverageJoe is offline Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe

You should of released that at like March 18th or something. Really screw with people then.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:28 PM   #11  
Nyuk!

At first, I was going to say I didn't buy it... but that would be lying. I fell for it hook, line, and sinker. But that's not hard, considering my senior class voted me "most gullible."

Congratulations. You fooled the most gullible person here.

Lo Rez
Old 04-01-2004, 06:20 PM   #12  
Anime Freak

Bwian is offline Send a message via AIM to Bwian

I think it's still funny, even if it's obvious. I mean, if the unholy event (stolen Source source) hadn't happened, the joke wouldn't even be able to be made.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:45 PM   #13  
0wner

Seriously! Reaper

Sure I could do better, if I had the time to worry about some April Fools joke before 11 PM last night instead of worrying about how to pay for the site for the next several years and working on the necessary applications, licenses, and software back-end...
Old 04-01-2004, 07:25 PM   #14  
Residant Player

DaPlaya is offline Send a message via ICQ to DaPlaya

last years one was better (esp with ct's assistance)
Your foe is well equipped, well-trained, battle-hardened. He Believes his gods are on his side. Let him believe what he will. We have the tanks on ours.
Life is a prison, death shall be my release
"If we fail, then I was not destened to rule, and am deserving of my death"
Old 04-01-2004, 08:12 PM   #15  
ijubnsgrziuh

I think people are just becoming immune to all this tomfoolery. Whenever I see news like this I just check the date automatically.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:38 PM   #16  
Kamikaze

People here, perhaps. I was on another site and they have many threads ranting about the "new Simtropolis".