Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Off Topic Forum

Off Topic Forum Discuss anything and everything in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2005, 11:15 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
insert user title..

Default What I hate the most about telemarketers.

I'm a courteous guy. I'm kind and polite until somebody gives me a reason to be otherwise. And this holds true for telemarketers as well.

As you may already know I live with my mother. And since she divorced from my dad and got a big chunk of money she's felt the desire to help out charities and what not. So, as expected, her phone number is on every telemarketers sucker list in the country.

So the phone here rings non-stop from 4pm to 8pm. Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration, but she gets at least 2 calls a day. Always at the worst possible time.

I don't mind them calling. And my mother doesn't mind, but since she's hard of hearing I'm the guy who answers the phone most of the time. As I said, I'm nice to him/her but I've got to be tough.

After talking with my mother, and seeing how much shes donated in the last few years I realize she has given a LOT (and I mean A LOT) of money in the past to different charities and fund-raisers and things like that. I'm sorry, but enough is enough. She's giving money to every Tom, Dick, and Harry with an excuse to ask for money. It's borderline pathetic. These people are parasites who see an easy mark when they see my mothers name on their list.

But I don't have a problem with mom donating her money to those less fortunate than ourselves. I admire her generosity. She has earned a box seat at the Lawrence Welk "Welcome to Heaven" Marathon. She'll enjoy herself there.

However, that is not the meaning behind this thread. This thread is about what pisses me off the most. This is what ticks me off the most about telemarketers-----

When you call me, you better be prepared to talk to me! DO NOT make me say 'Hello' more than once. YOU called ME...YOU should be ready to talk. DO NOT make me wait for you.

I know what it is that causes this. It's those auto-diallers. A big machine dials the numbers and when somebody like me answers the call it patches it thru to the actual telemarketer.

I just hate that, and it infuriates me. It's downright RUDE. I give them 1 "Hello" and they have about 2 seconds to start talking. I don't care if that's the system they use to dial, I simply refuse to sit and wait for them to come on the line to speak to me.

That's my rant. And it's been pissing me off for months now.

Last edited by Sarge; 05-03-2005 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:34 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
salty pirate

Darth Plato is offline Send a message via AIM to Darth Plato

Telemarketers are like witches and imps from folklore. They try to trick you into saying something, often by means of ordinary social conventions, and once the words come out of your mouth they use them to your detriment.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:35 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Run Coward!

Quit your bitching.
https://www.donotcall.gov/

__________________ I'm so leet, even my sigs got a sig.
Worlds Best Forum!
Old 05-03-2005, 11:38 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
salty pirate

Darth Plato is offline Send a message via AIM to Darth Plato

Sarge lives in Canada.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:42 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Run Coward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Plato
Sarge lives in Canada.
Doh!

Worlds Best Forum!
Old 05-03-2005, 11:42 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
insert user title..

Thanks DP.

The government is talking about it though.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:56 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Egg
Block faced Pirate

**** polite man, ask to speak to someone in charge, and keep doing that until you can't get any further up the ladder, then DEMAND to know where they got the number from and DEMAND to be removed.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:04 AM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Run Coward!

Actually i've been through this before. It gets to the point that a friends phone call makes you mad before you anwser. Sorta like Pavlos dog.

Worlds Best Forum!
Old 05-04-2005, 12:30 AM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
insert user title..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleabay
Actually i've been through this before. It gets to the point that a friends phone call makes you mad before you anwser. Sorta like Pavlos dog.
you know, you're exactly right.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:11 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

If you can manage it you could possibly drop your landline in favor of a cellphone. I know that telemarketers in the US are banned from calling mobiles and I think (somebody jump in if not) that it's the same up in the frozen provinces. I've been thinking of doing that for a while now....if it wasn't for mrs duck it would be a done deal already.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:17 AM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
master misspella!

EpShot is offline Send a message via AIM to EpShot

screen your calls.

its what we do. we get at least 2 calls a day. (apparently the on-time morgage payments on our on apartment qualify u sfor debt consolidation) so we just don't answer the phone. Also we used ot get a lot of wrong numbers anyways.

we just warn friends and family(or they learn quickly) that we screen our calls.
Old 05-04-2005, 01:59 AM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
343 Guilty Spark

I hear ya Sarge, I hate those auto-dialers. You are also right about when you donate to some organizations, they must give your names to others. We used to donate to the police and fire departments all the time. Then we started getting calls from this organization and that one, not to mention the callers who call for the PD and FD started to ask for money at greater and greater frequencies. It got to the point we would give some and just a few days or couple of weeks later, they would call again asking for more.
It finally became enough and we told them to take us off their list. Right now the veterans is the only org. I continue to support regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleabay
Quit your bitching.
https://www.donotcall.gov/
That doesn't necessarily always work. After the deal I was talking about with Sarge in the post above, we signed up for that list. We were probably one of the first as we put our names on when it first came out. We still get some of those annoying calls. Usually catching me right at supper time and really pissing me off after I work all day and try to relax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveduck
If you can manage it you could possibly drop your landline in favor of a cellphone. I know that telemarketers in the US are banned from calling mobiles and I think (somebody jump in if not) that it's the same up in the frozen provinces. I've been thinking of doing that for a while now....if it wasn't for mrs duck it would be a done deal already.
My wife and I thought of doing that too. However, since I pay for DSL already, we are already paying for that line. That, and we have to have a fax machine for our job. So I have to pay for a landline anyway, otherwise I would just go cellular since I rarely get personal calls anyway during the week, except the annoying ones.
AS

"Get out of here Stalker!... Get out of here Stalker!"
Old 05-04-2005, 06:46 AM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

esdxc37 is offline Send a message via ICQ to esdxc37

Move to the UK sarge.
I have been on the TPS (telephone preference System) for 3 years and dont get calls at all.
Old 05-04-2005, 07:10 AM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Game like Hames

Blues Cowboy is offline Send a message via ICQ to Blues Cowboy

Yeah, it sweet as a nut.

I think there's a CSI episode where a dude kills a telemarketer...hmm...might give me some ideas...

R.I.P. Fiendan's Baby. You've gone to a better place now...
Old 05-04-2005, 07:54 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
HAMMER!!!

Sledge is offline Send a message via ICQ to Sledge

Nice, schmice. I always interrupt the guy and say "Thank you but I'm not interested. Please place my name on your do not call list." and hang up. Granted, I rarely get telemarketing calls anymore.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:54 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Nyan Cat

Well, if you get really bored, there's always telemarketer torture.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:27 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
insert user title..

I cannot drop this land-line phone. It's my mothers line. Can you imagine teaching a 71 year old Alzheimers patient how to use a different telephone? And that she has a different telephone number? She's a creature of habit now, anything out of the ordinary or outside of her daily routine does not exist to her any longer.

So changing here telephone and number is not an option.

I don't really have much of a problem with the telemarketing calls themselves. I can handle that. Sure, it gets annoying sometimes, but I'm usually pretty good to get them off the phone and get back to what I was doing (without being rude and discourteous) rather quickly. I understand the individuals are just trying to earn a living.

The problem I have is that they make you wait after calling me. When I say "Hello" there better be an instant "Hello Mr. Sarge" coming right back at me, as opposed to having to repeat "Hello???? Hello?" a few times while their dialer programs finds an open agent to connect me to. THAT's what pisses me off.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:27 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Egg
Block faced Pirate

For the second night in a row I answered the phone at work just to get some crap about research thing. I answered with, "listen, this is a place of business here, and at no stage do we have time to take a stupid survey."
She said, "I'm sorry I didn't realise it was a business," which would have been OK, if I hadn't answered the phone with Good evening insert business name here.
The chef just looked at me and told me I should have been ruder.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:33 AM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Titty Monster

i usually just hang up, unless it's actually a person, then i just like to mess with them.

*ring*

Me: Helloo?

phone whore: Good morning sir, would you be interested in a-

me: In what?

telephone man: um, in a-

me: i don't know, let me think about it.

phone guy: ... you could stand to save-

me: WHAT'S THAT HON? IT'S BLEEDING AGAIN?

telemarketron: uhm, i'll just call back later.

meh: okay.

*click*

then there's the whole tactic of giving them a run-around, pretending to be a different person each time, or just flat-out being difficult. the point is to get them to work for their goal, and never let them get to it. it's great fun when you've got nothing better to do.

and to tell the British royalty to eat a bag of dicks.
Old 05-04-2005, 10:36 AM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
343 Guilty Spark

I still like the way Seinfeld handled it in one of their episodes:

Quote:
Tell the telemarketer you are busy at the moment and ask them if they will give you their HOME phone number so you can call them back. When the telemarketer explains that they cannot give out their HOME number, you say "I guess you don't want anyone bothering you at home, right?" The telemarketer will agree and you say, "Now you know how I feel!" and hang up.
AS

"Get out of here Stalker!... Get out of here Stalker!"
Old 05-04-2005, 12:18 PM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
ijubnsgrziuh

What's the deal with this in the UK anyway. Since I've had a mobile phone I've had two calls ever from people offering me cheaper insurance and this has always been within a month of getting a new contract phone. But on a land-line for 18 years back home I never answered one, and I only ever remember hearing my Dad talk to a couple beause he always used to lead them on and ask stupid questions seeing how long it would take before they cottoned on.

We have this other house and some odd-job men broke the ladder that led to the false roof (attic to Americans?), it was knackered anyway and it was just waiting to happen. My Dad sent off a letter of complaint claiming he'd seen the guy swinging on it and, just before it broke, heard one of them say to the other "Watch this".