Seriously!
Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 2

Serious Sam 2 Discuss anything and everything about Serious Sam 2, the official sequel to SS:FE and SS:SE.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 12-29-2005, 05:49 AM   #1  
PASGETTI!

Default Interview with Croteam in PC Chip (Serious Sam 3 and unnamed project announced)

Since this is a paper magazine I can't translate everything there, to avoid copyright problems, but I can tell you the most interesting things there:

Quote:
What are your future plans, and from all the posibilities what would you like to achieve?

First we have to finish the patches (DM, SDK, linux port etc. - as they mentioned in another part of the interview, G.), then adapt SS 2 for other platforms, and then start working on SS 3 (!!!, G.)... Of course, you never know what the publisher may want, so something may happen in between. We are also planning a completely new project, a game which will be completely different from SS, with a bigger accent on MP in co-op... It should be a lot less "cartoony" and much more serious than Sam. But don't worry, it won't be too serious - can you even imagine the two of us making a really serious game (Alen and Vedran, G.) ?!
Note: All of the information here is subject to change depending on various things, like Croteam's/publisher's plans, the position of the moon and stars and a whole bunch of other things we can't influence... There is also the posibility of me mistranslating something, so take this info with a bit of salt. If something isn't correct, I apologize, and please correct me.

Also, they mention that SS 2 is selling well, according to the publisher and should increase in the holiday season, of course it's still early to tell.
In the rest of the interview you an read about what their work days look like, marketing, how SS came to be, sequels, enthusiast game makers, Croatian gaming market, Serious Engine 2, what they play in free time, how a video game is made etc.

Oh, and Vedran has a cool SS 2 t-shirt, I'm jealous.

To read the rest of the interview (which is quite interesting, because it's not all the usual questions), you'll have to buy it, but it's in Croatian, so it's most likely available only here, and possibly a few of the neighbouring countries. There's also a huge topic on gaming, about 40 pages, with some very interesting stuff.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:23 AM   #2  
Highlander

Very good thanks! I must buy pc-chip.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:02 PM   #3  
Mmm, tea.

Sounds interesting . Can't wait to see what other information will be spread
Old 12-29-2005, 02:42 PM   #4  
Furious

Finzy is offline Steam ID: finzy Youtube: FunkyFinzy

I'm glad to know that they are still making patches for SS2. I feared that they would never get the editor and DM ready. And Sam3 is exellent news, though i hope they don't rush it so quickly...

Serious Box Solid - SS3 Stealth Mod, officially released!

Finzy's Frozen Asylum -- Serious Escape: The Simian Encounter SS3 Mod -- SS2 Widescreen Fix Mod

Quote:
Pan: Auron: TIDUS WHAT IS THAT POKING ME IN THE BACK
Pan: Tidus: ITS FROM THE VIBRATIONS ON THE MACHINE I SWEAR

Last edited by Finzy; 12-29-2005 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:23 PM   #5  
═≡═≡═≡═≡═

Great. I hope that Croteam can say to the publisher "(*censored*)" with a straight back so Serious Sam III would be better.

But the other game...looks like Serious Sam is not serious after all.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:53 PM   #6  
Kleer

I really hope that they won't shift to SS3 etc before (re)implementing such essentials in SE2 as decent reflexion and dynamic gravity.
And that they'll never stop improving their physics engine (giving us patches as they do so, of course).
SE2 is still young and it wouldn't be fair if it didn't meet the most demanding modder's expectations.
Heck, it was advertised as the nec plus ultra in gamemaking, and for the time being it's actually less featured than SE1. Would love to see that change.
Another thing I'd love to see in SE2 (possibly in that other project?) is an advanced melee component.
If SE2 can eventually allow for Strident-like gameplay... I'll be one happy person.
(OK, Strident is a bit too serious even for us die-hard Oni fans. It's the gameplay concept that counts here)
Old 12-30-2005, 06:43 PM   #7  
Kleer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimli
Since this is a paper magazine I can't translate everything there, to avoid copyright problems, but I can tell you the most interesting things there:

Note: All of the information here is subject to change depending on various things, like Croteam's/publisher's plans, the position of the moon and stars and a whole bunch of other things we can't influence... There is also the posibility of me mistranslating something, so take this info with a bit of salt. If something isn't correct, I apologize, and please correct me.

Also, they mention that SS 2 is selling well, according to the publisher and should increase in the holiday season, of course it's still early to tell.
In the rest of the interview you an read about what their work days look like, marketing, how SS came to be, sequels, enthusiast game makers, Croatian gaming market, Serious Engine 2, what they play in free time, how a video game is made etc.

Oh, and Vedran has a cool SS 2 t-shirt, I'm jealous.

To read the rest of the interview (which is quite interesting, because it's not all the usual questions), you'll have to buy it, but it's in Croatian, so it's most likely available only here, and possibly a few of the neighbouring countries. There's also a huge topic on gaming, about 40 pages, with some very interesting stuff.
Let me get this straight, Croteam is going to make Serious Sam 3, then start a whole new video game legacy? They are going too end Serious Sam forever after they finish no.3! We can't let this happen! There must be a Serious Sam 4, and 5 and 6 and 7 and 8 and 9 and 10.,.............................................. ... :bsodfix: :ignored: :fart2: :fart: :helpme:
Old 12-30-2005, 06:50 PM   #8  
0wner

Seriously! Reaper

I don't think Serious Sam can live past SS3...
Old 12-30-2005, 07:18 PM   #9  
Highlander

did they mention what platforms SS3 would be on? mabye a possible Xbox 360 version??
Old 12-31-2005, 02:50 PM   #10  
Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra\/en
did they mention what platforms SS3 would be on? mabye a possible Xbox 360 version??
well, judging by how dismally the xbox version of SS2 sold they might omit it next time around - but if they go with 2K Games I think it's pretty clear they'd want it on the 360, regardless of what Croteam thinks.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:05 PM   #11  
Kamikaze

sight... how many FPS need to be f****d before they learn that FPS are NOT really good for consoles? Like Real Time Strategy... those games needs to be PC games mainly...
Old 12-31-2005, 07:14 PM   #12  
大君主

Seriously! Overlord

Louva-Deus is offline Steam ID: LouvaDeus Facebook: LouvaDeusS Twitter: JonathanTanzer Youtube: TheSeriousZone

Even Sam "Serious" Stone would get bored of killing newbie monsters eventually
Old 01-01-2006, 06:26 AM   #13  
Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dan
well, judging by how dismally the xbox version of SS2 sold they might omit it next time around - but if they go with 2K Games I think it's pretty clear they'd want it on the 360, regardless of what Croteam thinks.

hmm. i sure hope so. Cuz upgrading my computer is not something i can afford
Old 01-01-2006, 04:04 PM   #14  
Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naitguolf
sight... how many FPS need to be f****d before they learn that FPS are NOT really good for consoles? Like Real Time Strategy... those games needs to be PC games mainly...
Just wait until the nintendo Revolution - RTS games will be a natural fit for a 3D mouse (and FPS may work better than currently on a console, but it remains to be seen)
Old 01-02-2006, 04:43 AM   #15  
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodzilla
I don't think Serious Sam can live past SS3...
I agree. How many clever ideas, gags and humour with challenging level designs and level secrets can they keep designing and how can they sustain the tempo? Most people will give up after playing one episode too much. People won't keep playing Forever [pardon the pun]. There is also a limit to how much it's developers can repackage the same concept and character again and again. If Sam gets any more cartoony than this, it will end the way Batman & Robin ended the previous Batman movie series.

A logical conclusion reached at an appropriate time before the game isolates it's fans is only eminently logical.

IMO, they should end the series at SS3 and take a break from Sam with something new and different.

SS can always come back later on and since the stories take place in various lines of Time Travel, Mental could always come back from the past before death to wreck more havok in the future. Like the Terminator series the stories can be placed in a never ending loop. But immediately speaking, the game has reached a flashpoint where it needs to end.

Last edited by Vikas Bhatt; 01-02-2006 at 04:50 AM.
Old 01-02-2006, 05:07 AM   #16  
═≡═≡═≡═≡═

How about trying to avoiding some of those clichés or if that is too hard, then parodise them?
Old 01-02-2006, 06:04 AM   #17  
PASGETTI!

Personally I'd go for the unnamed project instead (well it's not unnamed, but we dont know the name). From all of the crappy written reviews I've read, there is one things that seems to be common. It doesn't seem like they could express what they didn't like, so it leads me to conclude that the market just doesn't want another SS game right now.
And since some didn't like it very much, they will be less likely to buy it right now, especially if the reviewers aren't pleased again, and unfortunately a lot of people rather trust people who play a game for 3-4 days, then themselves.

Granted, most of the problems aren't really Croteam's fault. The only thing they've done wrong was that the game is too cartoony. Though it doesn't bother me, it seems most of the players aren't ready for that, Croteam made a big, sudden turn in that direction, and it didn't come out as they wanted. I'd cut down on it some, maybe put it somewhere between The Second Encounter and SS 2. And cut down on the jokes.

Most of all, I hope they get better conditions this time, that they can talk to the community themselves, and maybe a public beta test (though if they're using the same engine I don't think it would be required).

P.S. Bring back the WAAAAR!!!
Old 01-02-2006, 06:48 AM   #18  
Kamikaze

i hope they develop a game very different to SS series. I hate when a company only makes the same games, but with only a "plus". Ej: Nintendo.

So Croteam, make something different.... but easy to play and fun!!!
Old 01-02-2006, 12:40 PM   #19  
Arachnoid

How about making SS3 more SERIOUS ?...
Like something refreshing, sorta like "F.E.A.R", "Resident Evil" or something a little more serious...
Oblivion is going to be using the Havok game engine, which I think sucks to death...Why ?
1...No Multiplayer at all...

No more need I say...........
Old 01-03-2006, 09:38 AM   #20  
Furious

I seriously (yes, seriously...) hope that croteam releases the DM and the editor for SS2 before moving on to an another project. Or else, SS2 might be totally forgotten as the worst SS game ever. And i wouldn't want that to happen.

Finzy's Frozen Asylum -- Serious Escape: The Simian Encounter SS3 Mod -- SS2 Widescreen Fix Mod

Quote:

Last edited by Finzy; 01-03-2006 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:02 AM   #21  
λ

Shrinker is offline Send a message via ICQ to Shrinker Send a message via AIM to Shrinker Send a message via MSN to Shrinker

I think DM is next...
   Arrival Mix | Tree of Life

Old 01-03-2006, 08:10 PM   #22  
Werebull

I'm about ready to face Mental in an epic climatic battle. Maybe Serious Sam should end with SS3. I just hope they put absolutely everything they have into SS3. Since it will probably also be an Xbox 360 title, there won't be any excuse to not have the massive expansive levels that SE had and that were mostly absent from SS2, and with the extra time, they can finish work on those vehicles, make underwater parts, include gravity battles, and think up some truly creative level designs.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:14 PM   #23  
Kleer

How can you all be so cruel! I don't want Serious Sam to end forever. But it is good that Croteam is going to start something new for once. But I want more than just 3 Serious Sam games, personally. And you all who think that Serious Sam should be only for the PC, you're wrong! XBOX is better! Have you seen the sheats for XBOX?!!! You can get up to 999 lives, and full ammo and health, unlock all levels, an open all the doors, but the cheats are only for Serious Sam 1. Serious Sam shall never perish! Long live Sam 'Serious' Stone!
Old 01-04-2006, 05:21 AM   #24  
═≡═≡═≡═≡═

The problem is that if it is decided to be relased in only XBOB, I doubt that there are going to be any costom maps.

Another problem is that if Mental really is a giant reeban electrofish or a clown, then fans are SERIOUSLY disappointed.

Does someone E3 interview with 2kgames. I wonder why there wasn't allowed to tell about the cooperative modes in SS2 when it was much worse and with lack of features than Serious Sam I?
Old 01-04-2006, 09:39 AM   #25  
Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by navilord
And you all who think that Serious Sam should be only for the PC, you're wrong! XBOX is better! Have you seen the sheats for XBOX?!!! You can get up to 999 lives, and full ammo and health, unlock all levels, an open all the doors, but the cheats are only for Serious Sam 1.
Sorry, i don't want to start a war against the consoles, but personally, i think Sam fits much better for the PC. Thanks go to MS for releasing X360 though, because i guess Croteam doesn't need to make the levels smaller anymore thanks to it's power. Actually the levels could be bigger in Sam3, and i'm sure both PC and Xbox360 can handle that. Just don't make Sam games for the older generation consoles (PS2, orginal Xbox, GC) and it will all fit perfectly.

Quote:
Old 01-04-2006, 05:01 PM   #26  
Kleer

Greetings,
This PC VS console talk would be much quicker if you just called things by their names.
Xbox and Xbox360 are just that : PCs without a keyboard or a mouse. Plug a mouse and a keyboard in there (we've gotten to a point where I'd expect MS to release such peripherals officially), and you get a PC.
The undeniable advantage of "consoles" is that the hardware is a given : the developer optimizes the game for that particular rig, and as a result troubleshooting, bug fixes, upgrades etc just aren't the same pain as on custom PC rigs.
The drawbacks, in the case of SS2 at least, are the Xbox's GFX and power limitations, uncertain modding future... and the fact of selling your soul to MS, of course.

RANT MODE ON
I'm playing through Serious Sam Demo (the one with Karnak and Desert Temple and Tech Test) right now. In very many respects it's superior to SS2.
I don't think Croteam should underdeliver that way again, and I hope the only reason for the messy release was the production rush, not the dev team actually setting their sights lower.
So, no matter how I'm enthusiastic about Croteam getting it over with the SS series and switching to other projects...
(for those who want SS to last forever : unless Croatian humor is what you're after, wouldn't packs of custom levels made by fans be well enough?)
...I really hope the next thing we'll hear about (in a Croatian magazine or elsewhere) will be DM and SDK2 and "quality patches" for SS2, not SS3 or "another project".
(beefing up SS2 qualitatively could be partly done by fans, of course, but probably not in the form of a patch).
RANT MODE OFF

Last edited by geyser; 01-04-2006 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:10 PM   #27  
Kleer

Geyser, the problem, IMHO, is that the game was rushed to market - probably wanting to hit the pre-Xmas rush... The problem is that in doing this they've killed the game... The graphics are no where near as "serious" as the first two games... No blood smears, etc... Too cartoony for the majority of FPS fans... They missed the boat with SS2, and I'm sure they (CT) know it... I understand it's not sold well for the Xbox, and judging by the few numbers of servers on the web, I'd suggest that PC sales were not good, either... For CroTeam adding DM and Sed2 to an already "dead seller" is not good business practice (they dont get any extra $'s for it)... Unless, and I hope that when they talk about ss3 they are going to improve the engine they already have, improve the levels (larger, etc) and overall graphics quality and release it when it's done, not on the whim of a publisher, when the game was obviously not ready for prime time.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:40 AM   #28  
Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimli
^
...actually, i think SS2 is selling quite well. The graphics aren't a problem to me (it looks brilliant when maxed out, and i don't mind the cartoonish look), but it's just the smaller size of levels and invisible walls.

Quote:
Old 01-05-2006, 10:23 AM   #29  
Kamikaze

cartoons graphs make a air fresh from all those obscure and bored gameplay: FEAR, Quake IV, DooM III (i love all of them, but man, gime a break!!)
Old 01-16-2006, 07:39 AM   #30  
TwL
Ugh Zan III

Even though continuing the Serious Sam Series can "harm" the fans' interest, I strongly encourage this to continue, instead of Mental coming to your PC in SS3 or 4 or 5 or 6 or 7....

If you are really interested in Mental, ask Croteam how he looks like, or maybe wait for SS 100.

Only if Croteam make the DM and Serious Engine ready, I never recommend Croteam to make more games.

Just hope that future kind of SS is NOT like this:

or like this:

especially not this:

If you really want the SS Series to end, think again.

Oh My God! The Cannon Is Losing Power!