Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Showcases & Portfolios

Showcases & Portfolios The most awesome creations of our members can be seen here. Got some cool stuff? Show it off here and get feedback!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 01-30-2008, 10:34 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

Default Ryason55's Showcase

Most of the download links I've provided (up to post 170) are obsolete. Therefore, I have uploaded some of my stuff to MediaFire. The links are shown below.
Beside each item, I've listed the posts that are relevant to them.

Downloads:
-Raider City and Areas (no download) [Posts 1-23]
-SMB levels 1-1 to 2-3 [Posts 24-129, 205-211*] *Updated*
-Portal Mansion (alpha) [Post 150]
-Static ramp player models [Post 68]
-InSamnity! 2 posing maps [Posts 179-183*] *Updated*
-SMB3 World 1 map [Posts 171-178, 184-210*] *Added*
-Bullet Hell Beta [No Posts*] *Added*
-Raider Valley Alpha [No Posts*] *Added*
-VS Dream Dragon [Post 243] *Added*

Other SS2 projects:
-Battle Crawler DM [Posts 130-146]
-SMB project [Posts 137-146]
-CTF test [Post 154]
-Mod idea: concepts [Posts 157-170]
-SRPG battle map [No Posts*]
-Random Macro videos [Posts 216-239]

(*=Posts lost in forum reboot)

-----------------------------------------
Last Updated: February 2, 2011
-----------------------------------------

Original First post:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I finally decided to start up a showcase thread of my own. I'll post about maps I'm making and other things. Starting with:

Ryason's Level Pack V2.0 (You'll also need this to play it in SS2)

Version 2.1 now available.
Ryason's Level Pack V2.1
(requires V2.0 and NFOs)

The mappack contains (click for a picture):
-Area 55a
-Area 55b
-Raider City
-Ryason's Level Select
(The pictures are from V2.0)

I've included the readme for it in the levels folder in the (main) gro. It's mainly just Credits and a note about the maps, which I'll also post here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyasonsLevels_Readme.txt
Note about the "Legs" characters:
Since it's hard for new players in my maps to tell allied ones to enemies, here's a list of their Alliances:
Good:
-Rolanda Legs (Green, Blue, Red, Purple)
-Rolanda Legs with boots (Green, Blue, Red)
-Bighead Legs (Normal (Blue), Green, Red)
-Headmen Legs (Blue)
Evil:
-Sci-fi Orc Legs (All)
-"Wizard" (Rolanda, Jebidiah, Rajiv) Legs (White)
-Headmen Legs (Normal (Brown))

If a Good one starts running up to you, it's only coming to greet you (by jumping up and down a bit)
Anyways, some of the shadowmaps in Raider City's roads may not "blend" too well. That's because I used separate models to make the roads, and I used 64*64 for the shadowmap sizes (to reduce file size).
A brief description about the maps. Each of them (Excluding Ryason's Level Select) is a large, non-linear map. In Area 55a/b, there are allied Guard (Black) Simba Dolls guarding each door from time-spawned Dark Simba Dolls. Raider City is basically a city without pedestrians to run over There's a train that goes around the city and can stop at certain points ("Train stops"). There are also timed spawners here too. Anyways, I'd suggest exploring the maps (Raider City mostly) for various things such as hidden vehicles, secrets, enemies, and so on. A couple examples are hatchable eggs and a stubborn crane. There are exits in each level that lead to the Ryason's Level Select level.

It took about an hour and forty-four minutes to upload this whole mappack. And afterwards I found out that I missed the NFO for the "Episode" . It's in the file in brackets beside the main download in this post.

Anyways, enjoy!

Edit:

Also, I forgot to mention, there's a bug in the InSamnity 2 mod that makes the maps nearly unplayable. It causes all the "near-infinity" group spawners to have the spawnees spawn to no seeable end when the "SpawnGroup" macro command is used. The group spawners have 10000 spawnees and are supposed to spawn about 5 each time "SpawnGroup" is called. The mod also doesn't support the "PauseSpawning" command (which is used in Raider City).

Last edited by Ryason55; 02-02-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:31 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Default Re: Ryason55's Showcase

Cool, congrats on the showcase thread, im going to go give these maps a go right now, ill tell you what I think.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:32 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

AverageJoe is offline Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe

holy shit 70mb?

dling...will give you update on my review.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:43 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

The maps look very empty and the mountains have a too large texture (stretching it would do wonders). If you added crumbs and other details like trees and bushes to the terrain, it would look a lot better- not to mention creating some hills and lakes etc. I would also recommend stretching the ground textures. Right now the design looks pretty bland and uninteresting.

I'll download it later, the gameplay sounds interesting. But you have to realize that SS2 isn't really suited to large maps due to its chapter system...and I don't really like 64x64 shadowmaps, no matter how justified they are The terrain shadowmap should be at least 512x512 in order to look good.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:01 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Still.....it sounds interesting so I'll give it a go sometime
Old 01-31-2008, 06:06 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

HOLY CRAP these are frikkin HUGE.
These maps are definetly not about looks. There is a ton of shit to do in raider city but I can't seem to find the key to the hotel. Where is it dude? I've been everywhere.
Also the gun store thing is too dark inside.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:38 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finzy
The maps look very empty and the mountains have a too large texture (stretching it would do wonders).
Areas 55a and b where pretty much my first real maps. Resizing the maps would probably take a really long time (considering all the stuff near the mountains). And it's definately too late for Raider City . The mountains are way better than in earlier versions, and the texture has a U and V stretch of 2. do you mean change it to 1 or double it (4)?

Quote:
If you added crumbs and other details like trees and bushes to the terrain, it would look a lot better- not to mention creating some hills and lakes etc.
I've tried adding crumbs, but when I try to apply a crumbs mask to it, no crumbs appear . I guess I could add the random tree here and there (in the maps). I could try adding hills and such to Areas 55a and b, but in Raider City, they'd have to be only in the flat areas with no roads nearby. As for lakes, It'd probably work better than hills in Raider City, since I could make roads cross over water.

Quote:
I would also recommend stretching the ground textures.
Can be done.

Quote:
SS2 isn't really suited to large maps due to its chapter system
I've removed all the macro fuctions that kill the playing in single player since it wouldn't go well. Multiplayer mode is another story (since you respawn with everything as you left it when you die). As for the actual chapters, players could use quicksaves in SP.

Quote:
The terrain shadowmap should be at least 512x512 in order to look good.
It's 1024*1024

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe
I can't seem to find the key to the hotel. Where is it dude? I've been everywhere.
Look in the building next door. I also forgot to mention something, you can "talk" (use) some NPCs in Raider City (As you probably figured out). The upper floors in the hotel are dark by the way, since they aren't "finished", except for one room which has a torch by it (and is lit up inside).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe
Also the gun store thing is too dark inside.
I'll see about getting the Simba Dolls to change the lightbulbs. Seriously though, I guess I'll add a few more light sources there ("Ted's Repair & Weapon Testing", right?)
Old 01-31-2008, 08:26 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

yeah...I just "finished" all three and I gotta say...raider city is the best. All the little things you added in were pretty cool but it's obvious you didn't spend much time on the meshes...at all. lol

Is this map finialized? I want to look at raider city and see how you did alot of the things in it.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:57 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

I worked the most on Raider City, Areas 55a and b where the first maps that I released (to a select few people). I had decided to keep them in the mappack (with a "slight overhaul" ) for some reason .

The mappack isn't finalized, but the modified croteam models are (such as the Simba Dolls, Chickens, Raptors, etc.). All the Legs characters are unfinalized (except for the animation sets).
Old 02-02-2008, 06:58 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Maps look interesting, I'll check them out now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryason55 View Post
It's 1024*1024
One technical hint, try avoid using larger shadowmaps than 512x512. The reason is, 1024 needs up to 4x times longer to bake and the quality isn't really that much better as 512 in some cases. Rather use 512x512 and set "precision" (or how it is called) from 0.5 to 1. Once that works, try 1.5. And if that works, try 2 then. You'll see it looks nearly the same good as 1024 but needs a bit shorter and filesize is smaller, too.
Though sometimes (in rare cases) precision 2 can cause tears in the shadowmap. But first try it out, then state.

If you can't like 512x512, then at least reduce the height and set the shadowmap to 1024x512, that's nearly the same quality.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

I liked this
Not exactly good looking but that doesn't matter because I see this more of a tech test mappack. Great for finding out what SED2 can do and testing them out
Old 02-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

so when are we going to see the update?
Old 02-02-2008, 02:58 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

So far, here is my to-do list:

Raider City:
-Add more hills and maybe another pool of water in the ground (already added some hills and Pools of water)
-Find out how to make Crumbs work with a crumbs mask...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I've tried adding crumbs, but when I try to apply a crumbs mask to it, no crumbs appear .
-Try what K_C said about Shadowmaps
-Add the random tree here and there

Areas 55a & b:
-Pretty much the same as Raider City, except...
-Add hills and lakes

Ryason's Level Select:
-Code a "Tic-Tac-Toe" game (optional)

-------------------------------------------------

And the current bug-list:
-IS2 bugs
-Ammo and Health "piles" in multiplayer (similar to the one in the "Cecil" level)
-Generic Legged Model model replacements not syncing for clients

I've told Dk about the first on already. The second one seems to be unfixable or something, I'd already checked the "Only first Player Picks" option on all the problematic items . And for the third one, it'd seem I have to make actual EP files for every "generic" character.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:27 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

Just stopping by to tell you one thing about the crumbs.

Well, as many, many of us can state, the Crumbs themselves are behaving extremely unpredictable sometimes. Sometimes they work, sometimes a bit, often not as you intended and sometimes they don't work at all, need time to bake and you see... nothing. Ask FW, Deepblue or others, they will tell you kinda-like things.

I couldn't believe that once, I tried them, they didn't work and done crazy things. The reason was, they need heights and lows to work. On a 100% flat terrain/surface, they 99% don't work. So if you want to try them, make at least some minimalistic high/low hills or pits. Then they might work.

Also sometimes, you might see an empty pit where no crumbs are, though around the empty pit - there are crumbs. It's hard to describe, but the "best" is that you "run" into one of these bugs, then you can see it...

I really don't know what Croteam did that the Crumbs are so ****ed up sometimes... though they look nice, honestly (when you got them to work *cough*)
Old 02-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

Some update pictures:
Raider City:
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p120/Ryason55/RaiderCity_V21_01.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p120/Ryason55/RaiderCity_V21_02.jpg

Area 55a:
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p120/Ryason55/Area55a_V21_01.jpg

Ryason's Level Select:
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p120/Ryason55/LevelSelect_V21_01.jpg
Tic-tac-toe fans rejoice!

Yep, that's a working tic-tac-toe (Xs and Os) game in the last picture.
Anyways, a changelog so far:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Current changelog
Raider City:
-Added hills, trees, pools of water in the ground, crumbs
-Changed all the road models' shadowmaps to 128*128
-Random changes that don't really need to be mentioned
Area 55a:
-Added hills and lakes
-More random things
Ryason's Level Select:
-Added a working tic-tac-toe game
I found out something about the "item piling" bug in multiplayer for my maps. It seems that the flag "Only First Player Picks" is obsolete for ammo and health . It works fine for power-ups (I tested "Serious Jump") and treasure...

Last edited by Ryason55; 02-09-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:15 AM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Can't we have the levels looking different instead of just different things to do? I like a change in scenery now and then while I'm playing it and decide to go to a different level

Also maybe some S.Speed powerups incase you teleport away from your vehicle or whatever
Old 02-10-2008, 08:18 AM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Looks a lot better now, good work Please upload it soon
Old 02-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

Make the textures (like on the terrain) smaller and use large stain textures over them to reduce the effect of tiling
Old 02-10-2008, 10:37 AM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
G-Type Crazy

I dont' think tileing is that much of a problem, that's really a button more for you db.
However, what I would suggest is that you set the sun's ambient color to a slight blue hue and the direct color to a tad bit yellow/orange.
Most people don't notice that this is that actual color of the sun even with a blue sky because their eyes ajust to it very quickly.
I had the same problem with 3k gnaar fight and then Dk recommended that approach and it made it phenomenenly more attractive.

If you want to get really complicated, you can export the terrain mask to .tga, then in an edit program, seperate the channels and add in some noise on the edges of the areas, re combine the image and then convert it to .tex.
This will scatter the edges of the lake and moutains just slightly which will break up the smoothness of everything and make it appear better.

What kept on smacking me in the face (or the butt if you're ridin a vehicle) is the roads. holy crap dude. lol If you fix those up and make em real nice that would make everything better by a huge degree.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:29 PM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Serious Xmas 2009!!

Wytas is offline Send a message via MSN to Wytas

Looks good Ryason!
But some tips for ya: road strips are way too 'fat'. So you might want to make them slimmer
Also, you could make a bigger contrast between textures in map, like grass-greener while path-more yellow.
Also, in the second screenshot, crumbs don't really fit the grass' texture. You can fix it by making texture smaller and of the same colour as crumbs are, or you can ajust crumbs to texture

New projects!
A sequel to one of my maps o_O
Serious Sam crazy!
Old 03-02-2008, 12:10 AM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

Ryason's Level Pack V2.1
This update requires the original version 2.0 (and NFO files). I have the gro in a zip file this time so that the readme is more accessable.

So, here's what I can remember () for changes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Change Log
All Maps (excluding level select):
-Added trees, crumbs, lakes/ponds, and hills
-Serious Speed powerups
-Updated loading screens and thumbnails

Raider City:
-More secrets

Area 55b:
-A water purification system (complete with a polluted lake to purify)
-respawning grenades and health

Ryason's Level Select:
-A working Tic-Tac-Toe game
Old 03-02-2008, 07:11 AM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

I'm definately downloading this
Even though your mappack doesn't have an ending as such it's still fun to mess around with

How the hell did you make those controllable flying saucer things where you drive them by sitting in a static cockpit?

Also what is that lift at the start of the first level for? I don't see a use except that they drop off the edge outside
Old 03-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepblue
How the hell did you make those controllable flying saucer things where you drive them by sitting in a static cockpit?
The "RC HoverSaucers" are "seated" on the main, static one, and are controlled by the operator of the "player seat". And of course, a bunch of macro to make sure that everything there respawns, and it also allowed for the total HP (as a number) of the RC Hover Saucers to be shown while controlling them. I had originally intended to have RC Rocket Turrets, but their shots exploded as soon as they were fired. The only real downside to using hovercrafts is that they can flip over, and since you can't un-flip them yourself, you'd either have to destroy them (since they'd respawn) or ram it with the other Hover Saucer (assuming that they weren't both flipped) and hope it gets up side up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepblue
Also what is that lift at the start of the first level for? I don't see a use except that they drop off the edge outside
Do you mean the bouncer outside in the front of the starting building (in Area 55a) (and the one that's at the side of the starting building)? If so, it's a way to get to the exit in the level, you can get on the train that leads to exit from on top of the starting building.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:25 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

The result of boredom:
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p120/Ryason55/SMB1-1_SS2_01.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p120/Ryason55/SMB1-1_SS2_02.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p120/Ryason55/SMB1-1_SS2_03.jpg

Yep, world 1-1 from Super Mario Bros. (NES). Not sure what "inspired" me to make this, but at least this time I got way farther than when I attempted to make it when I started mapping (nothing was mapped ). Anyways, here are the "features" so far:
-SMB background music (although quieter than wanted)
-Items spawn from "?" blocks when hit (including a working Starman (without having your character flash colors))
-Music for events such as finishing the level
-300 second timer that works like in SMB (you die if the timer reaches 0)

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p120/Ryason55/SMB1-1_SS2_04.jpg

I had to include Serious Jump powerups to the map so your character can match Mario's jump height (approxamately). It is possible to play the map without them, but then you wouldn't be able to collect the coins and items from "?" blocks.

What I still "need" to add is:

-a background (may need help with this)
-enemies
-general 2-D shrubbery (I'll probably need help with Alpha textures)
Old 03-16-2008, 03:28 AM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

Morkze is offline Send a message via MSN to Morkze

Heh, that looks cool. I'd like to see that finished!
Old 03-16-2008, 04:34 AM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Pan wants, Pan will get
Old 03-16-2008, 06:03 AM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Mental

You also need a fixed following camera with you still being able to move while it's activated
Old 03-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
Serious Xmas 2009!!

Wytas is offline Send a message via MSN to Wytas

Yeah, I had whole level made for SSSE:
http://forums.seriouszone.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13801&d=1061354990

P.S. Actually I have whole Mario mod, but 3D, not finished for SSSE

New projects!
A sequel to one of my maps o_O
Serious Sam crazy!
Old 03-16-2008, 06:57 PM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Night Sparrow

We've got Goombas!
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p120/Ryason55/SMB1-1_SS2_05.jpg

I made it so they look almost exactly like their 2D cousins. You can't see it from the picture, but they animate just like the 2D ones too. It's pretty good for an enemy model with no real animations. Anyways, here are some highlights:
-They can "kick" you, dealing 10 damage
-Most of them just walk straight, ignoring players, but still damaging if touched
-Sadly, they can't be stomped. However, your weapons will easily take care of them

There is one outstanding flaw though. They seem to have a problem with ledges and "non-existent" gaps. The two goombas who start on top of some bricks, well, don't walk straight, and fall to their doom. Others who walk off ledges on the ground slightly turn while walking off.
I still have to implement the ones that walk between pipes and such, since the simple "walk one way" method won't work.

And here are the other new things so far:
-Fireworks at the end of the level (like in SMB)
-Players start with 10 HP
-Implemented the mid-level checkpoint

I also seem to be having trouble with the Starman I implemented. If a player is standing right where the Starman will spawn, the player will pick it up... but nothing else. If the Starman is allowed to spawn unobstructed, the macro for it will work completely.

I'll see if I can manage to make a background for the map,
but could someone make textures with transparency for the background scenery? A normal google search for "Super Mario Bros sprites" will probably come up with them. For now, I'll only need the bushes and hills.

Edit:
Now that I think about it, I might be able to make the background scenery like I had with the goomba. It would be better collision-wise.

Last edited by Ryason55; 03-16-2008 at 11:57 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:13 PM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Do you guys remember the side scrolling mod for SS:SE? Think about it