Seriously!
Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam HD

Serious Sam HD Discuss anything and everything about Serious Sam HD, the official remake of SS:FE on Serious Engine 3.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2011, 11:52 AM   #1  
Werebull

dragon99919 is offline Steam ID: dragon99919 Send a message via Skype™ to dragon99919 Facebook: dragon99919 Youtube: dragon99919
Default Serious Sandbox

I posted it a long time ago, but it seems that server crash deleted my thread, sadly.

Soo, I got an idea for Serious Sam 3 (BFE at the start) mod, called Serious Sandbox (yellow ftw!).

Base Idea
It would be somthing like... Like Garry's Mod, but for the Serious Engine 3 games.
What would it do? For what? Idea is simple - to give users a lot of options, soo they can make their game just like THEY wanna it to be. Well, you could for example, start a Cooperative server with function for killing each other - that could make a race - who is first on end of the map, wins. That's of course only stupid example, but thing about other cool mixes what can be done!

Tools
I have also an idea to make it more sanboxish by giving players new weapon - Serious Gun. It would be something like Tool Gun in Garry's Mod. By special menu, you could make this weapon do a lot of things - spawn monsters, weapons, items and more. That would be fun if you'd like to test new weapon - just spawn some monsters, and see magic happens!

Is it hard to do?
The final question is it hard to code something like that... Well, not exacly. While I was having fun with editor and Serious Sam HD files I saw a lot of things that are really easy to do, but of course - you need exact way. For example, I know how to make a gamemode for Serious Sam HD, but sadly - editor do not own fuction to read these kind of files, soo I dan't make it "offical", so game wouldn't read it. To make a "Sandbox" gamemode for start, I'll just create a completly new gamemode which will be able to use other gamemodes as base (yea, it's possible), with a lot of customizations from all gamemodes, and more - created by me.

Anny suggestions, questions, or comments - feel free to post.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #2  
Afursome

Default Re: Serious Sandbox

Yea ... sounds interesting, but if I'll be cheering for any HD game modes , it will be for a mod that imitates Space Build from Gmod
With SE3's giant map possibility, and with the visibility zones now implemented, it will make the perfect host Why don't you try to do something like that instead?
Old 05-30-2011, 06:56 AM   #3  
Not beaten by dawd

Finzy is offline Steam ID: finzy Youtube: FunkyFinzy

I'm sure this has been suggested before. I wouldn't mind, sure, but you'd probably need the SDK to implement any kind of spawn code into the game. Of course you can probably make a map with the same kind of spawning functions and maybe some physics props, but it won't be exactly the same.

Serious Box Solid - SS3 Stealth Mod, officially released!

Finzy's Frozen Asylum -- Serious Escape: The Simian Encounter SS3 Mod -- SS2 Widescreen Fix Mod

Quote:
Pan: Auron: TIDUS WHAT IS THAT POKING ME IN THE BACK
Pan: Tidus: ITS FROM THE VIBRATIONS ON THE MACHINE I SWEAR
Old 05-30-2011, 09:14 AM   #4  
Afursome

+CroTeam's home brewed physics engine SUCKs At least with a Spacebuild mod we can fake a whole lot more , and have almost nothing important that has physics enabled.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #5  
Werebull

dragon99919 is offline Steam ID: dragon99919 Send a message via Skype™ to dragon99919 Facebook: dragon99919 Youtube: dragon99919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finzy View Post
I'm sure this has been suggested before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon99919 View Post
I posted it a long time ago, but it seems that server crash deleted my thread, sadly.
Any more questions?
Old 05-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #6  

AntonioR is offline Steam ID: AntonioR Facebook: AntonioR.Software Youtube: antoniorsoftware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischievous View Post
+CroTeam's home brewed physics engine SUCKs
If you want 1 000 000 enemies on screen at once on an uberhuge map with a decent framerate then you need to simplify CPU consuming stuff like physics.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #7  
Educated Fairy

Seriously! Dev Master

Solais is offline Steam ID: SolaisYosei

Not to mention, if you have that many enemies on the map, hell, even if your map is a little bit costly on your memories, physics stop to work altogether, that's why the corpses and bits of enemies fall through the floor on Finzy's or my maps.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #8  
Afursome

Yes, I know that they made the timescale relevant to CPU usage, but that makes it near impossible to make any physics puzzle . They should have made at least the "Prop" entity use a different engine physics setting. Oh well , back to topic.

Last edited by Mischievous; 05-30-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:23 PM   #9  
🐱 Kitty. ❤💙💚💛💜

Scratch is offline PSN ID: NimbleCatt Steam ID: ansjh Twitter: ansjh Youtube: youMrAG LinkedIn: 77325926

I remember someone saying they'd make this mod once it'd be possible, before the server crash My vague memory says it was Finzy..

CodeCat, my blog! - Angelo's stuff - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution. Please use our bugreporter for that.)
Old 05-30-2011, 04:37 PM   #10  
Not beaten by dawd

Finzy is offline Steam ID: finzy Youtube: FunkyFinzy

Umm, yeaahh, I said I'd make a map like that. But it's too late now. I don't owe you anything!

Serious Box Solid - SS3 Stealth Mod, officially released!

Finzy's Frozen Asylum -- Serious Escape: The Simian Encounter SS3 Mod -- SS2 Widescreen Fix Mod

Quote:
Pan: Auron: TIDUS WHAT IS THAT POKING ME IN THE BACK
Pan: Tidus: ITS FROM THE VIBRATIONS ON THE MACHINE I SWEAR
Old 06-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #11  
G-Type Crazy

AverageJoe is offline Send a message via AIM to AverageJoe

lets see if source code is released this time first.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #12  
Werebull

Well, sadly I don't think soo... We all remember what was it with Serious Sam 2, raight?
But I believe in them. ^^
Old 06-26-2011, 06:13 AM   #13  
ah damnit

Seriously! Secret Agent

I just want a mod where you can summon enemies to fight against at any time, like in GMod.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #14  
Werebull

That's what I'm aiming at!
With "Serious Tool" what I'm playing to make you will be able to run scripts that will make weapon DO something.

For example, I'll write script to instanly kill enemy. I'll open it with Serious Tool, and shoot at any monster - dead. I'll try to make weapon like this:

The code of weapon will be of course hard-coded, like every weapon in Serious Sam HD (so in Serious Sam 3: BFE), soo I'll write it to open existing scripts writen in lua (because Serious Engine 3 uses lua a lot) like Tool Gun i GMod. It won't be easy to write these functions, but I think I can make it... I just need to see how SS3 code looks like.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:51 PM   #15  
Marsh Hopper

ELITE_57 is offline Steam ID: ELITE_57 Send a message via Skype™ to ELITE_57

Hmmm not bad idea about SS sandbox, but i think better just make SS3 all models, ragdolls etc... To Garrys mod!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:38 PM   #16  
Just-a chillin'....

Mongo is offline Steam ID: Serious_Gnaars Send a message via Skype™ to Mongo

A tad late at responding?... Bah, I've had worse.

My name is Mongo, and I like Gnaars. And Cookies. Mmmm... Cookies!
Old 01-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #17  
Werebull

Sort of.
I'm moving project to SS3, because it will be at least possible to do when SDK come out. ^^
Old 05-06-2012, 03:09 AM   #18  
Rocketeer

Serious Truman is offline Steam ID: ZaxonTheD Facebook: Alex Truman Youtube: Zaxon1998

it Would be Nice

Your Parents Had a great Valentine!