Seriously!
Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 11:37 AM   #121  
ƃuoɹʍ ʇı ƃuıop

Fo0d is offline Steam ID: fo0dus Facebook: gianmarco.fish
Default Re: Skyrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboy View Post
I think Portal 2 was way too overrated.
Your opinion has been taken in consideration, but I'm sorry to say it is WRONG.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #122  
Khnumilicious!

Discy is offline Steam ID: joey42

Portal 2 was great fun, but I beat the game in 6 hours flat. Loved the humor, voice acting and puzzles, though. It took everything that made Portal 1 great and multiplied it.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #123  
Praise the Sun!

So Discy, ever wanna play that Portal 2 co-op you once mentioned oh so long ago?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:21 PM   #124  
Khnumilicious!

Hell to the yeah. We should find a time when we are both available.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #125  
"Poke me."

Brute is offline Send a message via MSN to Brute

Haven't played Portal 2 myself, but Portal 1 is incredibly overrated.
Not quite as much as Skyrim or the Mario franchise, but still horribly overrated.

I'd give Portal 1 a 5 or 6 out of 10. The fact that it's frequently cited as one of the best games in the last decade is beyond me.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:22 AM   #126  
Pan
Bropan

Pan is offline Gamertag: SeriousPan PSN ID: YueStrife Steam ID: Yuethetmerchant

Gotta agree with Brute on this. I love puzzle games but I don't see why Portal is so special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper45
I was thinking the other day how weird it was that we have a mod, where Snakes from MGS can stab snakes that were animated by... Viper. :P
SSHD & SS3 Multiplayer Models --- Serious Box Solid VS Mod --- Serious Fantasy: Legends
Complete Video Tutorial for SED3/3.5 Player Model Creation --- Serious Marine 3: Battle for Terra
Old 12-13-2011, 05:59 AM   #127  
Mental

Brute only doesn't like it because there are no guns

But no seriously, that may be why some people find it overrated.
See, it's not an FPS like some people expect to play when they start it up. It's more like a puzzle game in 1st person.

Plus it's not exactly easy to die, quite a few areas, it's impossible to do so.

I'm not being negative against the games because I love them for what they are.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:21 AM   #128  
"Poke me."

Dead or Alive doesn't have guns. Nor can the player be killed. One of the best games ever. I see a flaw in your assumption.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepblue View Post
I'm not being negative against the games because I love them for what they are.
Is there any other way to love them?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:46 AM   #129  
Khnumilicious!

Portal isn't overrated. It is just damn good at what it does, and if you love humorous puzzle games it's a wet dream for you. Same goes to Skyrim, it's a massive open world player's wet dream. Just because you don't like it as much as others doesn't mean it's overrated. The first week the game blew any other game out of the water with 270k Steam player, around 5 times as much as MW3.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #130  
PETN

Portal is something you wanna play through once and that's it. End of story

I originally was supposed to wait until steam christmas sales, but hell I didn't have the patience. Bought Skyrim retail with about 20% discount offer.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #131  
Mental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute View Post
Dead or Alive doesn't have guns. Nor can the player be killed. One of the best games ever. I see a flaw in your assumption.
DOA is a fighting game (I think). It's a bit different.

What I meant was that when coming across a game that acts like an FPS (1st person view, move around, aim), some people are probably used to having something to shoot at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy
Just because you don't like it as much as others doesn't mean it's overrated.
It's not just the opinion that it's not good.
It's the fact that the person will see lots of people get really exited about it. Then when it's released and it's been a while since then, that person may think about buying the game to see why everyone is so hyped about it.
Person plays the game, doesn't like it and wonders what the heck all the fuss was about.

It's pretty much because some people get really into waiting for games.

Last edited by Deepblue; 12-13-2011 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:22 PM   #132  
Khnumilicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmjaw View Post
Portal is something you wanna play through once and that's it. End of story
Can't disagree more, I've finished both Portals' campaigns multiple times.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #133  
"Poke me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
Same goes to Skyrim, it's a massive open world player's wet dream. Just because you don't like it as much as others doesn't mean it's overrated.
Again, I have well over 120 hours on Fallout 3 and would love to go back. As such, you could say I'm an "open world player." However, Skyrim is far from my wet dream. And yes, in my opinion it's heavily overrated. As is Portal, GTA IV, CoD, Tekken, SSBB, Amnesia or anything Mario.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:29 PM   #134  
Mental

I'm probably the opposite of you there Brute.

I loved the Elder scrolls series so I thought I'd try Fallout3 since it has similar gameplay mechanics.

It was ok but I guess the theme just didn't really do it for me. I prefer a fantasy setting.

Like I said, it's probably the guns that make you love Fallout 3 more than Skyrim. Bows and the ability to shoot lighting from your fingers just isn't enough for you.

and besides, who said a game that's overrated has to be bad?
I like the GTA series but I still wonder why so many people get so worked about each release.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #135  
"Poke me."

Quote:
and besides, who said a game that's overrated has to be bad?
I like the GTA series but I still wonder why so many people get so worked about each release.
I think you guys are misinterpreting me here. I never said Skyrim was bad. In fact, I quite like it. I just don't jizz over it every day like many do, as I think it's overrated.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #136  
Khnumilicious!

Quote:
Again, I have well over 120 hours on Fallout 3 and would love to go back. As such, you could say I'm an "open world player." However, Skyrim is far from my wet dream. And yes, in my opinion it's heavily overrated. As is Portal, GTA IV, CoD, Tekken, SSBB, Amnesia or anything Mario.
Totally opposite for me and one of my friends. We both love The Elder Scrolls games to death, yet we both can't seem to get into Fallout 3. Do tell me what makes a game "overrated" in your opinion. Is it when the gaming press get all wet over it? When it has more than a few thousand players? Or when the gaming press says it's the best game ever yet it's not? In my case, I don't play into hype, pretty pre-rendered trailers or gaming press bias. I get giddy to play a game when I play it myself or I see actual gameplay. It has saved me from disappointment in overhyped games, and I am skeptical of games until they prove otherwise.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:51 PM   #137  
Praise the Sun!

Quote:
...As is Portal, GTA IV, CoD, Tekken, SSBB, Amnesia or anything Mario.
I totally agree with that except for portal and Amnesia.

Amnesia is good but I don't hear people talking about it / praising it too much (except for Finzy), so I'd say it's properly rated.

Portal, for me it is as good as it's advertised, I've played through the original Portal at least 5-6 times; I've yet to play through Portal 2 that much and I probably won't replay it any time soon either. Also, I find Portal 1 to be better than Portal 2 (mostly because Portal 1 came out first) except for the multiplayer part, which is non-existant in Portal 1.

I guess I can't really say much about Skyrim since I haven't gotten my hands on it yet. I MIGHT get it tomorrow...
Old 12-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #138  
"Poke me."

Quote:
DOA is a fighting game (I think). It's a bit different.
Well, yes, but that's the point.

Quote:
What I meant was that when coming across a game that acts like an FPS (1st person view, move around, aim), some people are probably used to having something to shoot at.
Yeah, but you don't have to. I liked Oblivion quite a lot, for example. Better than I liked Skyrim.

Quote:
In my case, I don't play into hype, pretty pre-rendered trailers or gaming press bias.
Oh, look! It's the "I'm immune to bias" argument again!
Old 12-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #139  
Khnumilicious!

Quote:
Oh, look! It's the "I'm immune to bias" argument again!
Wrong person. I didn't say I'm immune to bias. I am extremely skeptical of most gaming press, that's the reason I rarely read them. Even when I do, I know most gaming press gets influenced by publishers so whenever they glorify some new game I take it at face value until I see the game myself. One of the few trustworthy gaming sites appears to be Rock Paper Shotgun.

I just find it annoying that you assume most people play Skyrim because of the hype and love everything about it because everybody says it, and not because it's a genuinely great game with some obvious flaws. I've put 200+ hours in Oblivion, and since Skyrim is basically an improvement of Oblivion, therefore I also love Skyrim. I assume this goes for a lot of other people.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #140  
"Poke me."

Quote:
Wrong person.
*checks post again* No, it's the right one. Two people can make the same argument, y'know.

Quote:
I just find it annoying that you assume most people play Skyrim because of the hype and love everything about it because everybody says it, and not because it's a genuinely great game with some obvious flaws.
I never said any of that, lol. I said it's overrated, as in people think it's greater than it is. People who never touch gaming besides the occasional worthless Wii game now play Skyrim and love it. So yes, I do believe that a lot of people would not have played Skyrim were it not for the hype it's gotten. Considering they haven't played Oblivion or Fallout, etc. it seems unlikely they would have looked into it were it not for the hype.
But as far as why they like it? I'm sure they have genuine reasons for liking it, because it's a good game. I don't find it a "genuinely great game" like you do by a longshot, but it's a good, solid, fun game that I think gets a lot more attention and players than it would have were it not for the hype. It seems rather illogical to argue otherwise. I'm sorry if you find it annoying, but hype works.

Quote:
I've put 200+ hours in Oblivion, and since Skyrim is basically an improvement of Oblivion, therefore I also love Skyrim. I assume this goes for a lot of other people.
I'm sure it does. But there are also a ton of people who play Skyrim who've never even played (or probably heard of) Oblivion (I mean, that much is obvious. compare sales of the two games and the numbers will speak for themselves).

Side note: It's not an improvement over Oblivion in all regards. The cities feel more dead and less immersive and the skill balancing is even worse than before.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:10 PM   #141  
PETN

Well isn't it natural that a hyped and top selling game gives birth to curiosity and many people try Skyrim as their first Elder scrolls game?
That's what happened to me with Oblivion back when I kept hearing about it and when I saw my cousin play it, I got interested and now here I am, finished Morrowind and Oblivion and playing Skyrim now.

Once again on the forums, someone tells their opinion and another one mostly focuses on one word and starts over-analyzing things, leading to legendary conversations.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #142  
"Poke me."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmjaw View Post
Well isn't it natural that a hyped and top selling game gives birth to curiosity and many people try Skyrim as their first Elder scrolls game?
Yes.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #143  
Just-a chillin'....

Mongo is offline Steam ID: Serious_Gnaars Send a message via Skype™ to Mongo

@GrimmJaww's Picture: Lol.

My name is Mongo, and I like Gnaars. And Cookies. Mmmm... Cookies!
Old 12-16-2011, 12:45 AM   #144  
Arachnoid

Quote:
Tekken

Quote:
GTA IV

Quote:
Portal

Quote:
CoD

Quote:
SSBB

Quote:
Amnesia

Quote:
Mario

Last edited by LordAngus; 12-16-2011 at 12:53 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:53 AM   #145  
"Poke me."

Are your responses responding to whether or not you like the game, or whether you agree with my analysis that they're overrated?
Old 12-16-2011, 12:54 AM   #146  
Arachnoid

The latter.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:59 AM   #147  
"Poke me."

Oh. You sure do like a lot of really lame games.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:01 AM   #148  
Arachnoid

I'm gonna kick your ass.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:09 AM   #149  
"Poke me."

No, you won't.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:30 AM   #150  
Praise the Sun!

I was gonna pick up Skyrim the other days... But then I... No, no ****in arrows, just that the only damned physical gaming dedicated store apparently closed down, probably due to not generating enough profit or worse. I freakin liked that place, it was neat...

Then I went to some other electronics stores where they also have (overpriced) games and they didn't have Skyrim, either they sold out really fast, or those stores are idiots. Hell, I couldn't even find the PC section easily, the PS3/Xbox/Wii were all flash, and the PC was somewhere on the side, filled with old releases and nothing new or interesting...

Guess I'll have to order Skyrim online...