Seriously!
Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam HD

Serious Sam HD Discuss anything and everything about Serious Sam HD, the official remake of SS:FE on Serious Engine 3.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #1  
Werebull

dragon99919 is offline Steam ID: dragon99919 Send a message via Skype™ to dragon99919 Facebook: dragon99919 Youtube: dragon99919
Default Make holes in meshes

Hello. I wanted to ask if it's possible to make a hole in already existing mesh of mine in SE3.5 (like for example in Source SDK). Example of use: I created a sphere, and now I want to make an entrance in it.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:49 PM   #2  
Pan
Bropan

Pan is offline Gamertag: SeriousPan PSN ID: YueStrife Steam ID: Yuethetmerchant
Default Re: Make holes in meshes

I have wondered this myself but never bothered to look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper45
I was thinking the other day how weird it was that we have a mod, where Snakes from MGS can stab snakes that were animated by... Viper. :P
SSHD & SS3 Multiplayer Models --- Serious Box Solid VS Mod --- Serious Fantasy: Legends
Complete Video Tutorial for SED3/3.5 Player Model Creation --- Serious Marine 3: Battle for Terra
Old 02-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #3  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Scratch is online now PSN ID: NimbleCatt Steam ID: ansjh Twitter: ansjh Youtube: youMrAG LinkedIn: 77325926

I think there's an extrude CSG thingy somewhere that would do this... not sure.

CodeCat, my blog! - Angelo's stuff - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution. Please use our bugreporter for that.)
Old 02-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #4  
Furious

Finzy is offline Steam ID: finzy Youtube: FunkyFinzy

There's a bevel tool in the "Add" tab (iirc) in mesh editor that can be used to create such holes that go in one direction, just click and drag to shape it. Another method is to simply delete the polygons forming the doorway, select and copy ALL of the polygons (Edit -> Select All + Ctrl+C), then flip the polygons (should be in common tab -> Flip polygons), and paste the polygons you copied before (Ctrl+V): this way you get the same polygons on both sides of the mesh, however you may still need to add some space inbetween for the illusion that it's an actual wall (maybe beveling could help with that too?).

Also all of that may require messing with uvmaps, bevel especially WILL break existing models if you just start beveling stuff, so you need to redo the uvmaps to account for the changes. Best bevel everything before attempting uvmaps.

Another tool that does basically the same thing is Extrude, but I haven't used it much myself as it's more difficult to use and doesn't physically move the selected polygons, but creates some kind of continuation from it (iirc). If you need precise cutting of polygons there was an Edge Cutter tool or something like that in the SED2 help files, I've been just using the knife tool myself.

Serious Box Solid - SS3 Stealth Mod, officially released!

Finzy's Frozen Asylum -- Serious Escape: The Simian Encounter SS3 Mod -- SS2 Widescreen Fix Mod

Quote:
Pan: Auron: TIDUS WHAT IS THAT POKING ME IN THE BACK
Pan: Tidus: ITS FROM THE VIBRATIONS ON THE MACHINE I SWEAR

Last edited by Finzy; 02-26-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #5  
Educated Fairy

Seriously! Dev Master

Solais is offline Steam ID: SolaisYosei

Normal Shift.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #6  
Werebull

dragon99919 is offline Steam ID: dragon99919 Send a message via Skype™ to dragon99919 Facebook: dragon99919 Youtube: dragon99919

Thanks for all the answers.