Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam 3 > Serious Sam 3: BFE Workshop

Serious Sam 3: BFE Workshop The official forum for Serious Sam 3: BFE projects, be it maps, mods, or something else.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 11:09 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
(k)
T-Mech

Smile Sol Novus survival map

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/032/b/1/sol_novus_header_by_ronsemberg-d4ob1fb.jpg
-Actual version: 1.2
-download: http://www.mediafire.com/?seordd7wa42hyk5
-requires solais refill crates and new enemies, get them here: http://forums.seriouszone.com/showthread.php?t=61072

Kepler 20-e

One of the most young (and distant) human colonies. Kepler 20-e is an earth-like planet terraformed to inhabit human life. It possesses a single, huge city, Sol Novus, buildt on the top of big rocks spearing from the ocean. It is almost completely under corporate control. This colony is essential to defend the earth empire against Mental an must be held at all costs.
-Useful restock items are scattered around the map. Search for their glow, and pick them up if you need them.
-Don't warry, heavy artillery is at your disposal, just be careful with ammo and health.
And that's it. Have fun
version 1.0: http://www.mediafire.com/?udxneq7b8iap178
first test version: http://www.mediafire.com/?rq6rqr2uzf1989a

Last edited by (k); 03-20-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Default Re: Sol Novus survival map

To be honest, it's really not that difficult. Could use some more enemy variety *cough*myenemypack*cough*.

Still, it's the most original and detailed level for SS3 at the moment. Very awesome!

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Warmonger is offline Send a message via ICQ to Warmonger

Hey, now it makes sense!

And pretty random avatars of Sola & Mischy fit well
Old 02-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

The design reminds me alot of duke nukem very good map .
Old 02-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
(k)
T-Mech

I just finished a little testing with Roy. It seems that, if there is enought people, camping near the crates is possible, so I'm gonna move them away from the center of the arena, maybe near where the enemies spawn, or maybe remove them completely.

Roy also noticed that some graffiti would be nice on those blanc walls as well as signs and symbols on the buildings.

Solais wants new powerful enemies to appear after a certain amount of time (and that's okay for me, just thinking about "what" to add).

I also noted that all the players spawn in exatly the same position... the result is pretty hilarious, will try to fix that.

@warmonger: do you want your avatar too? XD
Old 02-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Pretty cool design ! I must say, impressive Damn you for beating me to the First SS3 Custom Asset Map though

Downloading.

Edit: Tried it out, fun! Also I think you may have overdone the logos a bit But still cool

Last edited by Mischievous; 02-01-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Kamikaze

Thanks for making and sharing!
Old 02-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
(k)
T-Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischievous View Post
Pretty cool design ! I must say, impressive Damn you for beating me to the First SS3 Custom Asset Map though

Downloading.

Edit: Tried it out, fun! Also I think you may have overdone the logos a bit But still cool
I'm long from beating your showcase mischy you have done some very good stuff.

Also thx for the response to all of you.
I'm beginning to think of the improvemens the map can receive.
@rflagg: that's what mappers do bro!
Old 02-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

Great map you made there!

-"WAAAAAAAAAR! (music starts)"-
Old 02-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Actually you could use the Serious Bomb logo and the Croteam logo for the missing artworks.

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
T-Mech

So, I played that map, here's my feedback. (Note that in gameplay aspects, I usually can't tell the difference between a bug and a feature. :3)

Design is actually nice (of course, geometry could use some more detail, though nobody will notice it), liked that sounds in background in beginning, quite unexpected for a novice mapper (no offense, idk if you were mapping before, but since this is your 1st map on SED3.5...) and rarely used thing (AFAIK). I had a feeling of presence in a big city of the future (but it really lacks some traffic in the sky... oh wait, it's a war there, so no civilian traffic.. nevermind :3)

As for balance, this map has a feeling of SSHD survival, like, when you need to dodge from loads of laser beams and fireballs and couple of bulls, shooting kamikazes and keeping eye on pickups simultaneously. But IMO, there is way too many hitscan enemies (a lot of clone soldiers with rifles and scorpions), which is really annoying, especially on such a big and open space where they can't hit you only if you are far away. And, maybe, you should reduce amount of biomechs, or make some diversity by replacing some of them with reds or Solais' ones. There is also a bug which makes Kamikazes to stay on bridges, and judging by that loud sound they emit (which is kinda distracting, as one may turn around expecting to see a couple of kamikazes but see nothing instead - waste of time and health) there can stay about 7-9 kamikazes on each bridge. Well, that's it, can't say anything more.
Overall, for a 1st map, it's great (compared to mine and many others' first maps :3)

One more thing: you should tweak the difficulty in order to keep this map as hard as you're saying (If it's not an issue, but what you wanted to achieve, of course). Surviving for more than 6 minutes is fairly possible

Last edited by Artificia1; 02-02-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
(k)
T-Mech

will add some more enemies past minute 5... And yes i was suspecting that the launchers could eventually trow the kamikazes on the bridges, will fix that.

Hitscan enemies are annoying but actually they don't do lots of damage. Their main funtion is to distrupt your aim, simply. But if they are too distruptive i could reduce their number. Also, i would not reduce the overall amount of biomechs, but instead i would try to better locate and formate them. They are a lot too grouped. I was already planning to add solaises minelayer thou.

For the geometry... well let's say I underestimated the engine. I made the buildings so they could be viewed from afar and in great numbers without impacting on medium-spec computers. I done some benchmarks, and apparently that was unnecessary. Next time will do some complex and more architectured models (but that will require some more time)

Also, be adviced... i am a lot more skilled than it could firstly appear.
And this is not my first map. At all
What keeps me from creating stuff (or to release already done stuff or middle-done stuff) is my lack of patience and dedition, or simple fantasy, since my sketches usually end up being too simplicistic (and that is one of the reasons why geometry was so simple in this level: my sketches for the buildings were way too simple for ss3). Also, my skills in creating stuff with blender are sufficent but is usually not enought to create fancy-looking stuff.
The last one was a huge map for SS2... After a first (horrible) release and two months of work i grown tired and trashed everything in the bin. The reason? I could not get custom turrets to work, and when I understood how to make them work, it was already too late. Before that, i've done various modifications to various other games (mainly gta and oblivion, and some small stuff for fallout 3 and nv now that I think of it).

Last edited by (k); 02-02-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
(k)
T-Mech

Version 1.1 released.
Changelog:
-Removed cannonballs crate near the start to avoid camping near it.
-cannonballs crate substituted with assault rifle's bullets crate.
-restock items around the map now will respawn.
-Some enemies will stop spawning after a certain time...
-...to leave room for more powerful ones.
-Difficulty is now more balanced for experienced players, it is now possible to survive up to 12 minutes as long as you don' t screw up (=get roasted by khnums or boomed by kamikazes). Mh. Maybe it's even too easy.
-also the random crash seems to be gone (ehehehehe... eh : / )

Some more testing by good players would be appreciated.
Download link updated. You can download and try if you wish.

Last edited by (k); 02-12-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:47 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
(k)
T-Mech

the previous random crash is gone but another one has appeared lol
this happens for unknown reasons around minute 6 to some people. Some testing would be appreciated. I'm already investigating about it.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:15 AM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Warmonger is offline Send a message via ICQ to Warmonger

Imho the last version is less playable that first one. Surely, you can survive longer, but it's all mess when a bunch of colourful biomechs spawns. Each of them fires a lot of different projectiles you can't simply manage at once. I suggest spawn few biomechs of one type, wait a minute until player kills them, then spawn another type.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
(k)
T-Mech

thanks! will keep that in mind.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Well dunno about that. Sure, it's maybe not that playable in SP? But maybe it's not that too easy on coop, like most survivals.

Also he's only using the small blue, red, and green. The Small Green was supposed to be used as a rare one, and especially for hidden booby trapping. On Last stand for example, the small greens only spawn at the very end, and only two every 2-ish minutes.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

I felt that the rollermines were pretty useless. The ones on the ground did practically nothing apart from making annoying bleeps. Just fighting against normal rollermines earlier on would be good, with less biomechs. The map seemed to be mostly biomechs & khnumtiloids all around.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:41 AM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Hmm I did wonder about that. I wanted to make the minelayer mines both hard to notice visually (but very noticeable by sound), and making the player step on it by accident. Maybe I'll change their size, though that will make them more noticeable visually, and probably harder on the gameplay. I need to think on this.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Finzy Corp. CEO

They were very easy to notice due to the bright neon lights all over the terrain. If you wanted to make them harder to notice they shouldn't cast any light to begin with.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:20 AM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Maybe I'll make the mines larger, but I'll disable their glow (though not their green coloration), maybe that will make it better.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
(k)
T-Mech

I tested the map searching for the cause of the Crash finzy was having server side. Strange enought, not me Pablo or Mischy found anything: the map plays just fine...

so... Finzy, if you can do the test yourself it would be good. At this point is either something related to multiplayer or a local problem of yours. Basically switch god mode on and survive at least until minute 10. If it crashes, write here the last log entries.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

I'm now uploading an updated version of my enemy pack, I doubled the size of the mines, but removed their glow. Maybe they will be "useful" this way.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Kleer

This survival map is quite different but in a good way. Very unique design I could say. I have a bit of trouble with this one because when there is countless enemies it causes a bit of lag (My laptop has a bit above the minimum spec for the game).

Eventually I will master it and get past 6mins. From what I have heard from previous posts, it crashes around 6mins, if I get that I will let you know.

EDIT: Wait those things were mines? No wonder I died

Last edited by Deep Pprkut; 03-15-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
(k)
T-Mech

yup they were mines. Both the small green ones and the big red ones.
I'm working on a patch for the biomechanoid mess, and a workaround for that random crash finzy experienced anyway.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
(k)
T-Mech

Version 1.2 released. It is strongly adviced to download solais new enemies last update as well.

-Definitely fixed the bug with enemies remaining stuck on bridges.
-Number of blue biomechanoids reduced after wave 2.
-Khnum barons are now vulnerable to normal ordnance.
-Random crash seems to be fixed: Apparently it was caused by the rolling mines.

Last edited by (k); 03-20-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:07 PM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Yeah, it's still weird that the rolling mines caused the crash. Have you tried my maps that include them, like Last Stand and Bouncy Room? Because I got no crashes on those levels (that are related to the mines).

Old 03-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
(k)
T-Mech

Not yet. I am pretty busy at the lab : / This is why it took so long to release this update as well. Tomorrow I'll try them.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Did you see?

魂クラッシャー

This needs a gameplay video!
Old 03-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
(k)
T-Mech

will provide one soon. I'll try anyway XD