Seriously!
Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Creative Corner > Serious Engine 3.5 Workshop

Serious Engine 3.5 Workshop The official forum for Serious Sam 3: BFE projects, be it maps, mods, or something else.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #1  
Furious

Finzy is offline Steam ID: finzy Youtube: FunkyFinzy
Default (WIP) Exception Singleplayer/Co-Op Mappack [BETA 0.95 out now!]

Trailers available (click to watch in 720p!).

YouTube Video: Exception End The Dream Trailer 2

YouTube Video: Exception Mappack Trailer

THE STORY SO FAR...

Once upon a time, in the near future, there was a hero called Serious Sam. This hero had a cybernetic implant called Netricsa. An artificial intelligence computer that overtook parts of his central neural system and brain, enhancing his battlefield capabilities and ability to sustain physical and mental damage. However, with the recently developed technology to control dreams via an advanced state of lucid dreaming, came problems. Mental's agents found this dream technology and tested it on our unsuspecting hero, who volunteered to test it, finding dreams fascinating afterall, and hacked into Netricsa itself and caused irreversible damage: they militarized Sam's mind against himself. Netricsa started to believe Sam was an enemy, slowly overtaking his whole body. Suddenly Sam found himself out of control, unable to do anything, stuck in the mental dreamscape at the mercy of his captors.

If Sam is to escape the dream that has now become his reality, he must perform an Exception, and convince Netricsa to get back on his side. "Exception" is the art of planting an idea to someone's mind, in this case Sam's own, but ideas may take many years to fully develop, and Sam must enforce his beliefs with the firm supply of imaginary gunpower.

Will Sam succceed, or be doomed to wander the endless oceans of Limbo for an eternity? Find out in this mentally disturbing masterpiece of a mappack. Slightly inspired by the amazing movie Inception, of course.

==================================================

Current Progress: 95%

One more version will be released once progress reaches 100%.
Check my showcase thread for latest development, this thread is used to discuss the current version of the map.

BETA v.0.95 DOWNLOAD:

Steam Workshop

* Requires Serious Sam 2 Sounds Resource Pack!!!
* Requires Mischievous's NPCs!!! (Can also be downloaded quickly HERE temporarily if GameFront doesn't work for you!)
* Requires the linked Part 2 and hotfix. Be sure to get it!

(Put manually downloaded .gro files into Content/SeriousSam3)

ALTERNATE NON WORKSHOP DOWNLOAD: Exception v095 Beta Non Workshop Version (Single .gro file containing both parts and the hotfix, put to Content/SeriousSam3. Requires SS2 sounds pack + Mischievous NPCs still.)

v.095 Features:

- 4 playable maps, latter 2 still in beta / to be tweaked. 'Nuff said? It's nearly done!

NOTES: Standard color scheme recommended. Also check the Readme for known issues, installation instructions etc.
All maps have lots of neat secrets so exploring will be rewarded!
You can jump straight to the next levels if you don't want to replay the previous ones! (this also gives you increased challenge, as you won't have ammo from the previous level)

Changelog from Beta 0.75 to Beta 0.95:

- Added 2 new levels, The City of the End and The Peak of Insanity
- Added a new introduction scene to Dream Collapses
- Added a new unlockable credits level
- Added new player models for characters that are featured throughout the levels
- Added transitions between certain levels.
- Fixed a bug in Madness Begins where enemies would remain alive at the bottom of the room (added an abyss killer).

STUFF STILL MISSING FROM THIS RELEASE:

- A final battle
- Some tweaks and bugfixes to the latter 2 levels - they are effectively in beta
- Subtitles for Dream Collapses and Madness Begins (will be added for the final release).
- Updated Sephiroth model (still uses the old one but probably to be replaced by SFL's "Sexyroth").

Changelog from Beta 0.50 to Beta 0.75:

- Added new playable third level, The City of the End! (previously named Limbo)
- Added transition from Madness Begins to The City of the End. (just made the netricsa portal take you there for now, I have plans to make a proper ending to the level though)
- Added player models for the various NPCs that you meet in the map, courtesy of Pan & Devostator.

Changelog from Alpha 0.25 to Beta 0.50:

* Added Exception - Madness Begins as a new second level! (total number of maps now 3)
* Dream Collapses:
- Added chapter autosave before the boss fight
- Fixed transerror message when picking up the Sirian Glove
- Added broken Netricsa quotes and some additional sfx
- Fixed empty polygon issues on the main cube and gave it a finished model
- "Animated" Cloud

Screenshots (Beta 0.75, taken from SED3.5 testing):

Screenshots (Beta 0.50 or earlier, taken from SED3.5 testing):

Some more screenies can be found on the Steam workshop:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=106819080

Serious Box Solid - SS3 Stealth Mod, officially released!

Finzy's Frozen Asylum -- Serious Escape: The Simian Encounter SS3 Mod -- SS2 Widescreen Fix Mod

Quote:
Pan: Auron: TIDUS WHAT IS THAT POKING ME IN THE BACK
Pan: Tidus: ITS FROM THE VIBRATIONS ON THE MACHINE I SWEAR

Last edited by Finzy; 06-17-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #2  
Arachnoid

Warmonger is offline Steam ID: HedgeMaster Send a message via ICQ to Warmonger
Default Re: (WIP) Exception Singleplayer/Co-Op Mappack [Alpha v.0.25 out now!!]

Oh god, I'll try it... but I'm the worst beta-tester in the world.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #3  
Praise the Sun!

Alright! Just played it

The good:
- Love the music
- The first waves are really fun
- The secrets are neat
- GLORY TO THE DARK GODS
- The blur effect thingy gives the map an interesting feel

The bad
- The bossfight needs working on:
+ On Serious, it's next to impossible to kill the scrapjacks fast enough, get the rocket launchers from them and kill the boss, all while dodging the boss' attacks and the scrapjacks.
+ I think the boss should be harmable in all phases or harmable with normal bullets too (is he already? Didn't seem to be able to do much with the assault rifle...) - The rockets are slow and you have a really short window to damage him as it is...
+ You can hide behind the statue and the boss buggers on top of it. (Screenshot)
+ I would suggest replacing the scrapjacks with something else and having an alternate way of getting rockets, there are just too many projectiles to be dodged at one time

- What's his name Blondie Final Fantasy Guy (?!)'s voice needs its volume turned up a bit I think...

Well, that's about it for now, can't wait for the next version.

Edit: Wait, wtf, why did I think the boss can be only damaged when he's charging up?.... I think I've read something about charging up in the other thread... Talk about getting inceptioned...

Btw, I forgot to mention, Finzy, NOD32 warned me about something nasty on the MediaFire site, after I clicked the download button there. It's probably something on their side, but I thought you should know...

Last edited by evil_Vasile; 02-18-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:05 AM   #4  
Arachnoid

Quote:
What's his name Blondie Final Fantasy Guy (?!)'s voice needs its volume turned up a bit I think
I believe the problem is more complex, as his voice and Sams voice are completely different recordings which just don't match. I can try to fix that.

However, after I trigered that secret, nothing happened. I came back to teh main cube and only then realized the girls have spawned after some time. I took them down with rocket launcher remotely... they jumped from the cube like lemmings. screenshot.

Last edited by Warmonger; 02-19-2012 at 02:56 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:41 AM   #5  
Werebull

Tried this map, it's awesome(and the second level too, too bad it's not finished), nice job!

I got all secrets, but many secrets that use custom voices/sounds are not enough "loud" so I don't get it what are them, I think I needed increase the sound volume and but I don't want Sam's sound and other sounds are too loudly... :\

Also, I hope there is more autosaving point for those always did stupid actions then get killed and must start from beginning or last "far away" save point...
or increasing the SAVE count, 0/1 is NOT enough! :p

(Yeah, I know manual saving works, and "over-saving" do not harm the gameplay at all but...that's why I hate "SAVE: XX/XX" in the statistics and its bonus in SS3. )

And... nice FF secret area and new enemy, they kicked my ass so hard. xD

Last edited by Player Lin; 02-19-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:30 AM   #6  
Furious

I will try to work on adding subtitles for the next releases so it's easier to make out what they're saying. I think the volume on the quotes itself is fine (and if you want it louder you need to increase the effect volume I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmonger
However, after I trigered that secret, nothing happened. I came back to teh main cube and only then realized the girls have spawned after some time. I took them down with rocket launcher remotely... they jumped from the cube like lemmings. screenshot.
Odd, it should at least spawn Cloud. Never had that happen. Maybe it somehow bugged out and made him spawn inside the cube. And yeah I guessed they would jump off the cube if you left the fight. I can fix that by limiting the bouncer from appearing too early.

Lol at "girls"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_Vasile

*boss fight stuff*

Edit: Wait, wtf, why did I think the boss can be only damaged when he's charging up?.... I think I've read something about charging up in the other thread... Talk about getting inceptioned...

Btw, I forgot to mention, Finzy, NOD32 warned me about something nasty on the MediaFire site, after I clicked the download button there. It's probably something on their side, but I thought you should know...
I'll work on it. It should only take a few adjustments to make the boss more balanced on harder difficulties; I'll have an update soon which ups the hp packs from 25 to 50, adds more armor for serious, delays scraps, and possibly makes all scraps drop launchers (currently only 1 of the starting scraps drops them, and only then those that spawn later).

MediaFire is known to give those warnings on anything, you can ignore them. I use Avast myself though and it doesn't give any warning for me on the download.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player Lin
Also, I hope there is more autosaving point for those always did stupid actions then get killed and must start from beginning or last "far away" save point...
or increasing the SAVE count, 0/1 is NOT enough! :p

(Yeah, I know manual saving works, and "over-saving" do not harm the gameplay at all but...that's why I hate "SAVE: XX/XX" in the statistics and its bonus in SS3. . )
I can try adding them, that's a good idea. Btw I'm not sure if the statistics are correct either...for me it always shows 200/200 enemies at the end of the level, but I could swear that there are more in this map.

Thanks all for playing & commenting

Finzy's Frozen Asylum -- Serious Escape: The Simian Encounter SS3 Mod -- SS2 Widescreen Fix Mod

Quote:
Old 02-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #7  
Furious

Alpha v.0.26 is out, it's just a small patch! (Still need to download 025 for it to work)

MediaFire, GameFront

Changelog:

- Added more health and armor items for Hard, Serious and Mental difficulties
- Added "Super Armor" for Serious difficulty boss fight
- Changed 25 hp items in boss fight to 50 hp items
- All scrapjacks now drop rocket launchers
- Fixed being able to leave the Dissidia cube too early (need to finish the fight now)

Quote:

Last edited by Finzy; 02-20-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #8  
Furious

Default Re: (WIP) Exception Singleplayer/Co-Op Mappack [Alpha v.0.26 out now!!]

There was a problem with the first 0.26 release where the script stopped working at the boss fight, I fixed it and updated all the download links now. Sorry if anyone downloaded it, it should be fine now.

Quote:
Old 02-19-2012, 08:30 AM   #9  
Furious

Updated download links again. Turns out I forgot to set the amount of RLs to 1, so the scraps spawned two launchers instead of one on death. This should be the final fix now.

Quote:
Old 02-20-2012, 03:58 AM   #10  
Praise the Sun!

A fix within a fix? Fixception!
Old 02-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #11  
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finzy View Post
Btw I'm not sure if the statistics are correct either...for me it always shows 200/200 enemies at the end of the level, but I could swear that there are more in this map.
I guess many enemies do not have any score or something will not counts in the statistics count in your map.
Like the large alien battle ship in BFE, the monsters spawned from it do not have score when player killed them, so they won't counted in statistics.
But I can't sure, because I think I always get score on every enemies which I killed in your map.

And...it's shame I didn't finished the map, the BOSS always kicked my ass so ****ing hard, even I'm play on Easy...damnit...

PS: I found you named your map as "Serious Mind 3"...I wonder why not just use this name as your release title?
Old 02-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #12  
Arachnoid

Quote:
Odd, it should at least spawn Cloud. Never had that happen. Maybe it somehow bugged out and made him spawn inside the cube. And yeah I guessed they would jump off the cube if you left the fight. I can fix that by limiting the bouncer from appearing too early.
It actually spawned some guy, but I left the cube after he stopped talking and nothing happened.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #13  
Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player Lin View Post
I guess many enemies do not have any score or something will not counts in the statistics count in your map.
Like the large alien battle ship in BFE, the monsters spawned from it do not have score when player killed them, so they won't counted in statistics.
But I can't sure, because I think I always get score on every enemies which I killed in your map.
Nah, I think the statistics are just somehow weirdly preset to 200/200. But we'll see once I add more enemies if it does raise from that.

Quote:
And...it's shame I didn't finished the map, the BOSS always kicked my ass so ****ing hard, even I'm play on Easy...damnit...
It should be more beatable in the new version.

Quote:
PS: I found you named your map as "Serious Mind 3"...I wonder why not just use this name as your release title?
Exception sounds better imo. More...exceptional. And it's inspired by Inception. I kept the Serious Mind 3 as the level folder name since that was the development title until I gave it an actual name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmonger
It actually spawned some guy, but I left the cube after he stopped talking and nothing happened.
That's fixed in the new version anyway, you can't leave the cube anymore until the fight is done (unless you don't mind dying ).

EDIT: Wow, Gamefront's download URL for the patch had gone bad too, so I fixed that also now.

Quote:

Last edited by Finzy; 02-20-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #14  
Werebull

I don't have time to try 0.26 one right now, will finding some time to try...hope the new version's BOSS fight doesn't that hard...
(And hope you do not release the next version too fast...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finzy View Post
Exception sounds better imo. More...exceptional. And it's inspired by Inception. I kept the Serious Mind 3 as the level folder name since that was the development title until I gave it an actual name.
Hmm, I understand.
Pointless suggestion : Put them together - "Serious Mind 3 : Exception".

Last edited by Player Lin; 02-21-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #15  
Educated Fairy

Seriously! Dev Master

Solais is online now Steam ID: SolaisYosei

I dunno, Serious Mind 2 was never finished after all.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #16  
(k)
Kleer

(k) is offline Steam ID: ronsemberg

Ok, i played the full thing this time , everything is working as it should. Fixes you mentioned in the changelog are all there. Will play it again tomorrow morning to see if I left something.

PS: create a "cylinder map" with fog inside it instead of the standard cube, now if you look the outside, you can see the angles of the cubemap. Not that is a problem, just a suggestion...
Old 02-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #17  
Furious

Nice to know it works. Yeah, I can try toying with the background a little, maybe indeed add some more fog and fx and try to make it more round. But it may be difficult as I don't know how to cubemap standard models (it would need to use the same cube background textures obviously). The edges don't really bother me as it is though...you won't notice it unless you spend some time inspecting it.

Quote:

Last edited by Finzy; 02-21-2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #18  
(k)
Kleer

I add the skymap I want to use inside the cubemap entity usually. It works fine. Then I add some fog to make it blur near the edges. I am working on a skyscrapers map, so obviously the horizon was a problem. I solved it that way.

But yes, you wont even notice that inside your map unless you go inspecting...
Old 03-01-2012, 09:31 AM   #19  
Furious

We really need to test this in multiplayer sometime. I haven't played it once in MP yet. Maybe this weekend? Or you could just ask me on Steam and I'll set up a game.

Quote:
Old 03-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #20  
Educated Fairy

Seriously! Dev Master

I think it is better if you test the whole finished map in multiplayer, imo.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #21  
Afursome

Testing just parts of it is also a good choice, since then you'll know that they work. Anyhow I'm up for this weekend if you are.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #22  
Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
I think it is better if you test the whole finished map in multiplayer, imo.
If I mapped at the pace you and Mischievous do, maybe, but this project takes a lot more time than that for me to create. Moreso since I have a job and other things to do and don't even map at all on most days (atm). You know it will take a long time to get the final version out.

I am sticking with releasing and testing it in parts.

Besides, it'd be really lame to find out that it's completely unplayable in the final version.

Quote:

Last edited by Finzy; 03-01-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:30 AM   #23  
Furious

OK, I'll (finally) be hosting a multiplayer test today at 7 PM GMT (19:00), it's also scheduled on the Manly Serious Gaming Steam group, assuming I get enough players.

Quote:
Old 03-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #24  
(k)
Kleer

I'm in.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:00 PM   #25  
Furious

Default Re: (WIP) Exception Singleplayer/Co-Op Mappack [BETA 0.50 out now!!]

Beta 0.50 out now! Check the first post for details & download links!

Quote:
Old 04-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #26  
Educated Fairy

Seriously! Dev Master

Now it's quite a long map. It's great, but the music was usually a lot louder than the sounds and the talking, so I could barely hear them. That really have to be fixed later, with adding subtitles and the like, just as I showed you.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #27  
Furious

Thanks for trying it out. Yeah, I'll be adding subtitles in a later version (maybe in a patch too), now that I know how to do it (by using a HUD message with fake translation string - yep ).

I didn't think the music was too loud personally and I had no trouble distinguishing what the characters were saying, but I can try increasing the volume for some of the sounds later. For now you can just lower the music volume if you think the sounds are too quiet.

Quote:
Old 04-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #28  
Educated Fairy

Seriously! Dev Master

No, not a HUD message, that puts the message in the middle of the screen, I showed you how to do it properly as Croteam did it. I think it was in your showcase thread.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #29  
Werebull

Shit, I cannot play the 0.50 because missing some models and due the stupid GameFront file system blocked my IP(all Taiwan/China range are blocked by them), I cannot get the Mischievous's NPCs pack(throw 404 to me) and can't run Exception mod.

Only Limbo can loaded, other 2s failed to loading due missing model files.

F*** that piece of GameFront shit.

I guess I needed some mirrors for that pack, just lazy to get proxy and screwing that ******* ShitFront.

Last edited by Player Lin; 04-30-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #30  
Educated Fairy

Seriously! Dev Master

The ShitFront. Finzy, this an awesome name for THAT.

Also, I could upload it as well, but I think it should be done by the maker of the map, aka Misch.