Seriously!

Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Serious Sam Series > Serious Sam HD > Serious Sam HD Workshop

Serious Sam HD Workshop The official forum for Serious Sam: HD projects, be it maps, mods, or something else.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Default Serious Sam HD: Project Beta

Hi there! Recently I was working in SE3 again, and I tried to port the Unfinished Complex map from Serious Sam 3: BFE to Serious Sam HD. While I took a look at it, it reminded me of the SE3 Showcase Map. Following that idea, I thought about making the mod that would make the game look like the beta version of Serious Sam HD. Here's the list of changes:

Beta stuff seen in the trailers:
Interface:
Grey HUD
SS2 Icons on HUD
Digital Font on HUD
Weapons:
SS:Xbox Models for some weapons
SS2 Sounds for some weapons
New effect for Lasergun
New effect for Rocket Launcher
Enemies:
Changed Model for Red Biomech
Old Death Animations for some models
Additional Changes:
New Main Menu
New Main Menu Map

Colors Legend:
Green - It's already done, it works!
Yellow - Working on it!
Orange - I haven't started working on it, but it will surely be in the mod.
Red - I have no idea if I can do that.

Right now, I'm asking Solais the shitload of questions (big thanks to him, great friend!), being annoying with a chance to finish that mod.
Also, MarkoDzoni helps me a lot! He's now doing the cameras for the menu background map.

Also, the "Project Beta" isn't the final name of the mod. It might always change. That's only prototype name.

All suggestions and comments are welcome!

P.S. I'm not stealing Kazuya's idea, as he always thinks with anything that has a "beta" word in it.

Last edited by dragon99919; 03-10-2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:44 AM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Lurker

Default Re: Serious Sam HD: Project Beta

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon99919 View Post
Interface:
Grey HUD
SS2 Icons on HUD
Digital Font on HUD
This sounds cool! Hope this part gets success, also cool you revisited a beta for an idea for a mod!

Hope we get some screenshots soon.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danker View Post
This sounds cool! Hope this part gets success, also cool you revisited a beta for an idea for a mod!

Hope we get some screenshots soon.
You Asked.

Original beta:
http://imageshack.us/a/img855/6889/comprasion.th.jpg

WIP HUD:
http://imageshack.us/a/img824/2846/007dunes0046.th.jpg

I got some problems with making the ammo icons textures, but I once made it (for my HUD Mod), so I'm pretty sure I'll find a solution for that again.

Interesting fact: that early version of the HUD didn't show how much points you had. I'm thinking if I should delete that HUD element, or maybe replace it with something... But I guess that just deleting will be fine.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Oh Long Johnson

sounds cool,i wish you good luck!
Old 02-23-2013, 09:10 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Me? Serious? How?

Hey this is looking good so far! I like the grey hud. The digital text is a bit, hard to get the hand of in Serious Sam... It may be the sand and the sky messing with me (Ammo count is fine as is. The others, it's hard to read with my eyes.), but, it's sorta awkward looking somehow.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Some progress:

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/4377/biomechrockets.png
Red Biomech has now rockets in his launchers, just like in trailers (as I promised). Biomech Model change - Check!

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/2218/007dunes0048.jpg
While I was making HUD, an idea came into my mind. If the HUD is grey with ditigal font, Netricsa should be like that as well. After one hour of making the Netricsa level (yes, I actually made completly new one), here's the effect (thanks to MarkoDzoni for the script fix!)
Old 02-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Cool!

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 02-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Andromeda

Seriously! Sam Master

Your project is very intersting, I am sure you can do this, I always wanted to play the old good eta version of Serious Sam HDs.

Procyon, alive... and still shining.
Check STM 1.08B for SSSE by Troy and Zeo.
French mapper and modder since 2010.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Black Star

Seriously! Creative Moderator

Hopefully this will be finished! Looks great! And you even show progress. (That's how it's done kazuya, keep that in mind )
If you need help in something just ask me
Old 02-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

-not stealing my project... Yeah right, tell me another one. Also can you include the xbox arsenal? I can help you with HD-nizing those weapons so that they look like on the trailer
Old 02-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
#AltFurry

Valerie Valens is offline Send a message via AIM to Valerie Valens

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekazuya0.60 View Post
-not stealing my project... Yeah right, tell me another one. Also can you include the xbox arsenal? I can help you with HD-nizing those weapons so that they look like on the trailer
At least he has something to show for it, and didn't need to beg for assets.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie Valens View Post
At least he has something to show for it, and didn't need to beg for assets.
as your mother told me last night. i showed much to anelo, and he likes it, i showed off him some parts noone saw before him, he can tell you his impressions but he cants show you pictures.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #13   Add To Ignore List  
Me? Serious? How?

Quote:
as your mother told me last night.
Ya know, I was told you couldn't go deep recently by dragon's mother (Who, more than likely, is really cool because it seems to me that a lot of moms are actually freaking cool.). Seems like it's true.

Incredible work so far Dragon! I'm startin' to dig the text, as it's sort of like a fungus and growing on me. Well, that might actually be fungus, but still.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #14   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Quote:
i showed much to anelo, and he likes it, i showed off him some parts noone saw before him, he can tell you his impressions but he cants show you pictures.
You should post those screenshots in your thread.

Anyway, please stay on topic. Kaz, this is an HD mod, and has absolutely nothing to do with your mod.

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog that I need to update - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 02-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #15   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
You should post those screenshots in your thread.

Anyway, please stay on topic. Kaz, this is an HD mod, and has absolutely nothing to do with your mod.
im remaking the whole sam series
Old 02-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #16   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Quote:
-not stealing my project... Yeah right, tell me another one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon99919 View Post
P.S. I'm not stealing Kazuya's idea, as he always thinks with anything that has a "beta" word in it.
I so much knew it. XD

Back on the topic:

Right now there won't be much progress until I figure out how to fix these buggy HUD icons which are visable in editor, but aren't in game...
http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/2183/bugza.png

Also, I just rewatched the trailer and took some screens of the beta so called Horizontal Weapon List:
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8082/tehiconz.png

The knife looks like... knife. Not sure, but I think it has been taken from the classic game, or the Xbox version. No idea.
Colts are SS2 colts. At least one of them. Not sure about the icon of two of them.
Shotguns are pretty much looking like the icons of them were taken in Model Editor, and pasted there.
Beta Tommygun looks like it was painted from the Model Editor too... Or maybe that's the Xbox version icon?
Beta Rocket Launcher na Grenade Launchers are surely from SS2.
Laser looks... Like... No idea what's that. xD Might be Xbox version icon, or another model screen.
Missing icons: Cannon, Minigun, Sniper, Flamethrower, and Serious Bomb (but I guess it just looks the same as ammo).

I think I'm gonna try to port them now, because I'm pretty tired from making bugged Ammo icons.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #17   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

And now, a little story about how SE3 hates me!

That's the screen I took in editor after making Grenade Launcher, Rocket Launcher and Colt icons:
http://imageshack.us/a/img853/4117/unfinishedcomplexhd0025.th.jpg

Then, I went into the game to see how it looks like there:
http://imageshack.us/scaled/avatar96/39/007dunes0055.jpg
Yea... At least some Ammo icons are now working. No idea how.

Last edited by dragon99919; 02-23-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #18   Add To Ignore List  
Witch Bride

Fixed. :>
Everything works now!

http://imageshack.us/a/img809/6817/007dunes0059.th.jpg

You wouldn't believe what caused the problem... The fact that the files were out of a gro archive. Packed it up, and every custom icon of mine works!

Last edited by dragon99919; 02-23-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:00 PM   #19   Add To Ignore List  
Me? Serious? How?

Just saying, but wouldn't the dual pistols of been better as the single pistol copied over twice on top of itself? Other wise, looks good! Hud has grown on me, looks great!
Old 02-24-2013, 02:45 AM   #20   Add To Ignore List  
Oh Long Johnson

nice progress you have there sir dragon!
Old 02-24-2013, 02:48 AM   #21   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

It's nice that you're making this, It could be fun to try it out but I can't help but think a few things...

I just find it a shame that the modding community has some of its members always looking at recreating a beta or old feel, or transporting things from BFE to HD. I mean that's great and all but we could strive to make some amazing mods that have nothing to do with Sam.

I mean, look at BTBA Airlines or something. I mean sure thats not really possible but there's so much more creativity in this community waiting to be unlocked, wish we could move on from the beta stuff a bit.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:46 AM   #22   Add To Ignore List  
Lurker

Well, those are some nice progresses here! Good Job!

But I wanted to ask something, are you going to add the classic Muzzle Flashes?

They are seen in the Sunshine and Lollipops trailer, in the Minigun and the Tommygun, just askin'.

Nonetheless, this is going good!

Last edited by Dankzaii; 02-24-2013 at 03:49 AM. Reason: Added a better quality version of the video :P
Old 02-24-2013, 04:31 AM   #23   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

First, nice progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan View Post
It's nice that you're making this, It could be fun to try it out but I can't help but think a few things...

I just find it a shame that the modding community has some of its members always looking at recreating a beta or old feel, or transporting things from BFE to HD. I mean that's great and all but we could strive to make some amazing mods that have nothing to do with Sam.

I mean, look at BTBA Airlines or something. I mean sure thats not really possible but there's so much more creativity in this community waiting to be unlocked, wish we could move on from the beta stuff a bit.
This, soooo much this! I do respect all the effort you guys put into this, but recently, almost every mod i see, is some sort of remake of beta or something similar.

Not that i don't respect the hard work you put into it, but man, don't you guys get bored of it? I mean, we have been playing SS games for last 10+ years, and now we have SS classic, SS HDs, SS forever, angelo's remake, and someones else's remake iirc, then this one.....

It would be soooo much more interesting, at least to me, as pan said, if you guys went for something a little more creative then that and actually creating some new content, that is not directly connected to already made SS games.

Like, lets make SS in new setting or something.
As pan said, it's just a little shame to see some talented people just reworking already made content back and fort instead of creating something new, unseen yet, like they did back in the TFE Days...like that BTBA mod, but doesn't have tobe that complex at all, as long as it's something new.
https://www.artstation.com/artist/zocky
Old 02-24-2013, 04:41 AM   #24   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Actually, I do have an idea for something that would be essentially a Total Conversion/New game, but unfortunately SS3 is not yet capable of a number of things. Remember that many mods in SS1, like that BTBA mod required the SDK to be made, and without that we can do only so much.

It would be also my ultimate challenge of skill and I'm nowhere near that level yet. Not to mention the time and resources... I'd need a team for that!

Aka, it's not that we are not creative, we just don't have the means to do it. You are lucky because you know modelling well, and did that for years even as a real job, but I'm just an English Teacher's Master Course student here.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.

Last edited by Solais; 02-24-2013 at 04:44 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #25   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

@Solais; Hence why I said BTBA like mods weren't really possible but mods that change the gameplay is still definitely possible. We created a new enemy in Serious Marine, for example. It might use already made animations but it's new. That's the sort of stuff I'm talking about here.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:11 AM   #26   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

Eh i dont know if i can agree there. People back then created custom maps with couple of custom made models. They weren't exactly the most awesome models i have ever seen, but they did help making a map feeling new and refreshing. You don't need entire team for that. At all.

And i'm lucky because i'm modelling? You may be right here. But when i started, i didn't have any plans to make career out of it; i just wanted to make nice look maps. But it was enough to make some custom models and textures. Sure, they looked like crap, but who cares really.

And as i said, you already spent a lot of time learning sed as a hobby, it doesn't really take all that much extra time to learn some basics of modelling and texturing at all.

And iirc, there are some quite good modellers around here. There is Artifical (or what is his name), there is Misch, Viper, and some others.

So yeah, sorry, but that's just an excuse.
Back then, something like that would never stop us from learning.

Hack, i was first making making textures when i started with TFE, i only later learned modelling, and even that only to understand how to make textures properly, i never itended to learn modelling for the sake of it.

And sorry but i have to point out Misch as example. He never make excuses that he doesn't have time to learn this and that or that it's too hard; it always tries to learn new stuff, sometimes modelling, sometimes texturing, then some sculpting, some drawing,....you name it. You people should really stop making excuses and take Misch as example.

Last edited by Zocky; 02-24-2013 at 05:14 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #27   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

I agree that it is an excuse, Zocky. But you also have to keep in mind that in this generation of gaming, expectations for content (models and the such) have a certain expectation. I believe back in SSC you could make a model look good considering what was expected of fan made content back then. But now it's a little bit higher than normal.

But I do agree with you.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:15 AM   #28   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Well yeah, that. I'll work on stuff that has new self-created models. In a way already working on them, it just takes much time and time is something I don't really have much. (I do still plan to make Luxor Temple to be uniquely modeled in SSHD Ex though, but there's only a cube mesh for now... haven't touched it for months.)

Also Pan, good, though the Ultimate Resource Pack has some new enemies as well, so that already happened.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:19 AM   #29   Add To Ignore List  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

It's not about you personally solais, it's the modding community as a whole we're talking about.

Also no duh on the resource pack. I was giving an example. =/
Old 02-24-2013, 05:24 AM   #30   Add To Ignore List  
Ugh-Zan III

pan, you are correct there, but keep in mind, you can choose something that is easier to make.

For example, creating ..crate, or simple house, etc, is much more easy to do that some ultra detailed organic statue for example. That one requires quite some knowledge of anatomy, some zbrush sculpting etc. So it's quite hard to make.

But to make simple house, it does require just some basic modelling knowledge, some basic uv mapping, and some basic texturing, and it will look good enough for what you need.

So choose theme that realisticly is not too hard to make and you are good to go.