Seriously!
Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Serious Sam 3 > Serious Sam 3: BFE Workshop

Serious Sam 3: BFE Workshop The official forum for Serious Sam 3: BFE projects, be it maps, mods, or something else.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #1  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Pan is offline Gamertag: SeriousPan PSN ID: YueStrife Steam ID: Yuethetmerchant
Default (VS) Serious Box Solid

http://imageshack.com/a/img835/6176/du3m.png

>>> Description <<<
Serious Box Solid is a mod based around the game mode "Infiltration". Infiltration is a custom game mode that pits a team of infiltrators ("Snakes") against a team of guards. The Snake team must fulfill objectives to gain access to weapons in order to kill the guards and win the game. Snakes use gadgets and tools in order to gain victory whilst avoiding combat as the guards are equipped with more violent weapons than the Snakes at games start.

Snakes must use a combination of skill and wit to win their matches. Knowledge of map layout and tool use is the best way for them to win. Guards need to know the map layout as well to catch the Snakes easily. Snakes come with a knife, CODEC Radio, Box and a Bush, some of them are map specific. On the field they can also pick up smoke grenades to cover themselves with as they move. Guards start with an M9 Silence Pistol and a Guard Assault Rifle. Guards can mark a position of a snake by tapping R with their rifle equipped, in which a ! will appear over their head and a sound will play.

At the present moment there's over 17 available player models, each with an assortment of sounds and a large variety of camouflage. Camouflage actually works and can help a Snake win the game! There's several anti-cheat strategies in place to stop a guard or snake cheating with their model usage. In some maps there are neutral animals that will attack anyone on any team. They drop rations when killed and can really help you out, or screw you up. We hope everyone enjoys this mod as it has been a labor of love.

>>> Latest Video <<<
YouTube Video: Shadow Moses / Tanker / Kerotan Rescue

View all the mod videos here.

Read the indepth written tutorial!

>>> Characters <<<

There are several camo's available for the Snake team, as well as variations for the guards. Each of these are useable for all players. Each Guard outfit is worn depending on what model of Snake you are.
Snakes:
Big Boss
Solid Snake
Assorted Characters

Guards

>>> Current Additions <<<
- 4 new maps by Finzy, 1 by Pan
- Snake First person hands
- CODEC System
- BOX Disguise
- BUSH Disguise
- Smoke Grenades
- Rations
- Prone and crawling, rolling animations by Viper45
- New camouflage skins for Snake & Zero Suit Samus
- Big Boss Player Model
- Major Zero Player Model
- Sigint Player Model
- Ocelot Player Model
- Meryl Player Model
- Olga Player Model
- Tifa Custom Player Model
- Raiden in a Tuxedo Player Model
- Otacon NPC
- Old Snake Player Model
- Ocelot Guard Player Model
- Guard Player Model
- Boss Player Model
- Solidus Snake Model
- Alligator and Snake neutral enemies in the field
- All new Menu and text edits
- "Alert" reload system for Guards

>>> Team <<<
Finzy: Custom models, map design & creation
Pan: Models, textures, weapons & tools
Viper45: Contributing animations (Knife, Snake Enemy, Smoke Grenade, Prone)

As always, it's more fun to offer a unique experience rather than a normal bland vs map, so we hope you enjoy the idea as it grows.

>>> Downloads <<<
- Part One on the Workshop
- Part Two on the Workshop
- From Dropbox (Part One)
- From Dropbox (Part Two)

>>> Changelog <<<
Code:
===========================
V.1.25: 
- Fixed Box 
- Cigar now has embers and other improvements, animates in third person with smoke. No longer semi-transparent 
- 3 new Big Boss camos: Anubis, Simple, Vivid Hornet 
- RPG-2 Added (rocket launcher replacement) 
- Fixed Tifa model's missing files 
- Fixed Smokey Ruins not loading 
- Fixed Snake death sounds 
- Updated translations 

V.1.2: 
- Added over 100 new sounds to: Snakes, Guards, Solidus Snake, Olga, Tifa Lockhart 
- Fixed bugged player models 
- Optimized player models to take less time to load and take up less space 
- Added smokeable cigars with custom first and third person animations. 
- Added 3 new Big Boss Camos: Garco, East & Snow 
- Added 2 new Codec Calls 
- Removed Oasis Sniper Battle map (Snake vs Snake) 
V.1.1: 
- Added two new gameplay modes: Snake vs Snake, Kerotan Capture + several new maps for them!
- Added Tanker as a new Infiltration level 
- Added new VR Missions singleplayer/co-op mode with a playable VR Mission 01 level 
- Added parachutes (for Tanker) 
- HUD changes: crosshair is now always white; it doesn't give Snakes away 
- Added new player model ("Middle Aged Snake") 
CHANGELOG FROM BETA 0.9 to Official Release 1.0: 
- Added Night Hunt as a new map 
- Added lots of new (informative!) Codec calls 
- Added new player models: Solidus Snake (Guards), Raiden (Tuxedo), Big Boss (Mage), Meryl, Olga, Tifa 
- Added sounds for most player models that didn't have them yet 
- Added helping instructions to all maps' Snake team spawns 
- Fixed an exploit where players could respawn in the middle of a match. 
- Improved the Box 1st person view so the scope is no longer seen 
- Updated translations 
- Added new weapons: Silenced M9 Pistol, Custom assault rifle (in part 2 download) 
REX, V0.9
- Added new models: Old Snake, Ocelot Guard
- New gun features:
     Alert function for Assault Rifle
     Smoke Grenades
- CODEC now uses proper animations
- Added new Camo's for Big Boss and Solid Snake
       Big Boss: Water, Flower, Stroke, Santa, Valen
       Solid Snake: 7 Smoke
- Added Rations for Health Items
- Added Shagohod 1 to Warehouse
- Added Metal Gear Ray model
- Added Otacon NPC
- Animation Edits
- Added new Middle East Warzone map
- Updated all existing maps with support for Smoke Grenades and some balance changes and additions
- Added new item pickup sounds

Shagohod 3.1, V0.81:
- New Underwater sounds
- Rassvet Jungle v2 released with balancing additions

Shagohod 3, V0.8:
- Added new map, Rassvet Jungle 
- Added new improved scripting, guards can no longer activate mission objectives in both maps 
- Added new guard models; Boss, Ocelot 
- Added new Big Boss variant, (Naked) 
- Added Bush disguise (Cannon replacement, exclusive to the jungle map) 
- Buffed Knife damage from 45 to 65 
- Changed Snakes' collision to be lower when prone. Snakes can now go under more obstacles including trucks. 
- Added an indicator for the weapons' room in the Warehouse map (it's now an objective) 
- Updated translations 
- Added alligators as neutral animals (jungle exclusive) 

Shagohod 2 Patch 3 (Serious Box Eater):
- Added Knife
- Model Fixes
- Melee weapons no longer make you run at 15% increased speed
- Rounds defaulted to 1
- Game information more detailed now

Shagohod 2 Patch 2 (Box Eater):
- Added Box
- Added more player models (Big Boss, Mayor Zero, Sigint + camos), player model fixes
- Added new menus, new translation tables, new musics
- More work on the map, more decoration and models for control room area.

Shagohod 1 Patch:
- Added custom gamemode Infiltration and its ruleset
- More work on the map. Added decoration for ramp area + side room, item balancing

Shagohod 1:
First alpha release.

Last edited by Pan; 06-15-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:06 AM   #2  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Solais is offline Steam ID: SolaisYosei
Default Re: (VS) Serious Box Solid

Brilliant idea!

Just today I've been thinking about the possibilities of custom stuff like this in SS (after watching TB's video about the Starcraft 2 Arcade and its different kinds of games). I think, with good coding, many different kind of maps and game-modes could be made. The engine is capable of many things, even setting up a map that is randomly generated (at least, seemingly).

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:20 AM   #3  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Finzy is offline Steam ID: finzy Youtube: FunkyFinzy

Some wip screenshots of the map the mod takes place on:

http://imageshack.com/a/img824/729/0apr.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img600/3048/wzdv.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img43/6657/8lyo.jpg

The map is modeled from scratch in SED3 by myself, no ripped assets have been used so far [though some objects like cameras and cardboard boxes may be added later]. I'm just trying to model it as close to the Metal Gear Solid (3) feel as possible while offering a unique experience.

It's basically a large warehouse with ventilation shafts connecting various areas together, with a ramped platform leading to a control room, some side rooms and stuff. My plan is to design it so that you have lots of different routes to take each time you play. Team Snake can also hide under various crate holding tables and stuff and there'll be lots of cardboard boxes and props all around the place to blend in later.

Serious Box Solid - SS3 Stealth Mod

Finzy's Frozen Asylum -- Serious Escape: The Simian Encounter SS3 Mod -- Mountain Madness (New Campaign Demo!)

Quote:
Pan: Auron: TIDUS WHAT IS THAT POKING ME IN THE BACK
Pan: Tidus: ITS FROM THE VIBRATIONS ON THE MACHINE I SWEAR

Last edited by Finzy; 01-25-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #4  
Night Sparrow

Hmmm, did you change the Crouching view height for the whole "prone" thing? Cause if you did, that'd mean even the models that only crouch would also be seeing at that height while crouching (knee o' vision).
I was thinking of submitting a feature request for having custom view heights and such on a per-model basis... but I haven't yet. I should probably get around to that.

For the Codec thing, you can recieve player inputs through script, and then also play animations on the player's weapons. Only thing missing is a way to determine which weapon the player is using (bug #27120).

Also, is it just expected that everyone on the infiltrating team has to switch to a model that can go prone? The same goes for the gaurding team, as there's absolutely nothing stopping those players from using models that can go prone as well.

Additionally, one thing I think you may've overlooked is the fact that the Guarding team... is human-controlled. Pretty sure people are a bit more knowledgable and fool-proof than your standard AI-controlled MGS gaurd. This is especially true since the guarding team specifically knows that there's an enemy team trying to sneak in. For example, the fact that you've outright stated what the codec does means that people already know what to expect from that. They aren't gonna go "what was that noise?", saunter over to the nearest vent, and then proceed to stare at it for approximately 2 hours when they hear it. No, they know its a distraction. Even if they didn't know that initially, they'd catch on after a round or two.

There's also the thing where players aren't just gonna saunter around and wait for something to happen; in their idle time, they're gonna be checking hiding spots. Constantly. If you've seen how competitive Quake players keep tabs on all of the valueble items on maps in that game... you might have an idea of what to expect in terms of checking hiding spots. Once they know the map layout and everywhere the infiltrators could hide, it just becomes routine check-ups on all of those hiding spots. If the map is large enough, this might not be too much of an issue... but good luck covering 8-player teams (especially if just one gaurd is strong enough to dispatch an infiltrator without much effort).

Not trying to shatter your hopes and dreams, but just be sure you have these things in mind when making asymmetrical gamemodes like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais
I think, with good coding, many different kind of maps and game-modes could be made.
There should really be an option to make custom gamemodes through script, where the said script would be given the required information and functions, and could dictate the win/loss conditions for each player/team. Then you could have non-standard victory conditions that don't require murdering everyone (or wearing a giant weight on your head).
This could be done globally for "proper" gamemodes (with associations to pre-existing gamemodes), and possibly even on a per-level basis (possibly under some "Custom" gamemode entry).
Old 01-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #5  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Quote:
For the Codec thing, you can recieve player inputs through script, and then also play animations on the player's weapons. Only thing missing is a way to determine which weapon the player is using (bug #27120).
No idea what you're talking about.

Quote:
Hmmm, did you change the Crouching view height for the whole "prone" thing? Cause if you did, that'd mean even the models that only crouch would also be seeing at that height while crouching (knee o' vision).
It's on the to-do list.

Quote:
Additionally, one thing I think you may've overlooked is the fact that the Guarding team... is human-controlled.
What am I, stupid? Of course we know that. I think you're focusing on one of the first tools I've even brought to the table here, man. Relax? Don't go jumping on the whole CODEC thing when I'm trying to bring more to it than that.

Quote:
Also, is it just expected that everyone on the infiltrating team has to switch to a model that can go prone? The same goes for the gaurding team, as there's absolutely nothing stopping those players from using models that can go prone as well.
In Last Team Standing the players on Blue team are the guards. I've made the .nfo's force them to use a model that doesn't have prone. So if they're playing as one that CAN go prone, I've set blue teams models to not allow that, and instead force them to play as a guard or a model that doesn't have prone.
Edit: And yes at the first part.
Quote:
but good luck covering 8-player teams (especially if just one gaurd is strong enough to dispatch an infiltrator without much effort).
I've never seen player counts that high. Guards don't have it as easy as you might think, really. I have some plans up my sleeves that'll be a game changer for sure.

Quote:
There's also the thing where players aren't just gonna saunter around and wait for something to happen; in their idle time, they're gonna be checking hiding spots. Constantly.
That's kind of the point. That's why I'm researching ways to even the odds and give an advantage to players that are against the guards, like picks up to aid in their plight and ways to help damage the enemy in clever ways.

Quote:
Not trying to shatter your hopes and dreams
Sure seems like it. Perhaps it'd be best to not treat this as some professional game mode, but as something fun. I don't really think I'm capable, or any of us are capable, of creating some professional perfectly balanced experience. What we're trying to make is some fun. Maybe a bit of roleplay in a competitive game mode, a new approach to an old classic.

I've been trying to use emoticons less in my posts. BAD MOVE PAN

Last edited by Pan; 01-25-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:48 AM   #6  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Scratch is offline PSN ID: NimbleCatt Steam ID: ansjh Twitter: ansjh Youtube: youMrAG LinkedIn: 77325926

Looks pretty cool!

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog - My outdated portfolio website - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 01-25-2014, 11:19 AM   #7  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryason55 View Post
There should really be an option to make custom gamemodes through script, where the said script would be given the required information and functions, and could dictate the win/loss conditions for each player/team. Then you could have non-standard victory conditions that don't require murdering everyone (or wearing a giant weight on your head).
This could be done globally for "proper" gamemodes (with associations to pre-existing gamemodes), and possibly even on a per-level basis (possibly under some "Custom" gamemode entry).
There's actually support for custom game modes since SSHD, but no new gamemode files can be created due to credential errors. (Bug #25768)

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #8  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Well when we began designing this, the original concept was a "prop hunt" mod, but with Metal Gear Solid flavor. I think it's gonna play more like that, with the players having to rely on cardboard boxes and camoflage to keep themselves unidentified.

Of course the guard team is gonna be much more intelligent than the guards in MGS. We're expecting players to roleplay a bit in that role though, like by imposing certain rules, like not camping the switches like douches and forcing them to move around. As Pan explained this is something best played with friends that know each other and can "roleplay" a bit.

The map is very large however and once it's filled with props all over, I think it will be much harder for the guard team to keep a check on everyone. Every place is going to be accessible from multiple routes and the guard team can't sacrifice all their players just to camp every possible entrance. And another balance element is that the guard team only starts out with weak weapons (pistols), while the Snakes can get significantly better guns once they get into the weapons storage.

We'll see how it plays out in testing. I think one thing's for sure though, that this is going to be a very unique mod.

Finzy's Frozen Asylum -- Serious Escape: The Simian Encounter SS3 Mod -- Mountain Madness (New Campaign Demo!)

Quote:
Old 01-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #9  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
There's actually support for custom game modes since SSHD, but no new gamemode files can be created due to credential errors. (Bug #25768)
Why doesn't that surprise me?

@Angelo: Thanks bro

I'm currently looking into players using boxes to hide in, that meld in with the area they're in. The current idea is just making it a weapon that covers you when you prone in third person but I'm looking at other ways to do it as well.

Last edited by Pan; 01-25-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #10  
Footballer Orc

Is amazing, Looks pretty.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryason55 View Post
Hmmm, did you change the Crouching view height for the whole "prone" thing?
Nope. I don't think it's necessary. SS3's default crouch camera is already so low it can pass as a prone position.

I like that this will have elements of prop hunt. This could be really fun.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #12  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

I'm glad you guys are embracing it for what it is. It seemed like a risky kind of game mode to shoot for at first but I forget how versatile in tastes the S! community can be. <3 Viper and Finzy deserve more props here I'm just doing the planning stuff whilst the other 2 work on the harder stuff.

@Viper: You played much prop hunt on Source games? Good times.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #13  

Never played it myself, but I've seen videos of it on Youtube. It looks like a riot.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #14  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Glad people dig the looks, thanks

Quote:
Old 01-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #15  
Finzy Corp. CEO

This should make the snakes harder to find...

http://imageshack.com/a/img22/9950/hsln.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img41/7159/0vz3.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img577/9863/uhub.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img89/2025/4gih.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img89/2645/6ser.jpg

This is just the beginning, gonna add craploads of more props everywhere still, including cargo trucks and stuff. Fun fact, there are 200+ crates in that scene alone.

Quote:

Last edited by Finzy; 01-25-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #16  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Old Man Murray is crying somewhere at the sight of those crates.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:07 AM   #17  
T-Mech

The map looks very interesting.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:09 AM   #18  
Bio
Mechanoid

Needs moar crates.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #19  
T-Mech

Just...wow......

...holy shit...
Old 01-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #20  
Praise the Sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solais View Post
Old Man Murray is crying somewhere at the sight of those crates.
Hehe, I was thinking the same thing.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #21  
Praise the Sun!

Relevant post:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12140950/snake.jpg
Old 02-04-2014, 04:17 PM   #22  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

A perfect representation of what it's all about, Vasile.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #23  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Haha

Oh yeah, we just had our first playtest with the first alpha version codenamed Shagohod 1. If anyone's interested in giving it a go, message me on Steam and I'll send a download link. It's still got loads of glitches and things to fix, but it was great fun to play, I think we played 2 hours in one session (and considering it was all on the same map, I think that's hell of an achievement ).

Some screens:

http://imageshack.com/a/img600/4102/w8pz.jpg

Me and Vasile, trolling the opposition

http://imageshack.com/a/img856/9273/zlzx.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img843/3772/b1rf.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img856/2210/u6gp.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img706/4855/yy4z.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img838/4351/8ojd.jpg

Quote:
Old 02-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #24  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

You think Finzy was trolling there, eh? Watch him in the last segment of this footage to see what real 'trolling' is like. Or in this games regard, skill.

>>> VIDEO LIST <<<
YouTube Video: Proof of concept

YouTube Video: Alpha Footage: GUARDS

YouTube Video: Alpha Footage: SNAKE

YouTube Video: Boxes, Menu & Models

YouTube Video: Jungle Test

YouTube Video: Rassvet Jungle

Last edited by Pan; 03-01-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #25  
Witch Bride

Roy O'Bannon is offline Steam ID: THE-REAL-LAW Facebook: 100008154276257 Youtube: 7SmokeGaming

Haha this looks rly fun good job.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #26  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Thanks, man.

YouTube Video: And Alpha Footage: Snakes
Old 02-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #27  
Bio
Mechanoid

Looks great so far but what does Samus have to do with Metal Gear Solid? Am I missing something here?
Old 02-04-2014, 10:43 PM   #28  

Wish I could have made it to the playtest. It looks like it was a lot of fun. One of the things I loved the most was the high spectator cam that showed the Snakes sneaking around the guards. The level scripting is awesome too. Great job guys.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:48 AM   #29  
Pan
Silver Lined Boots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bio View Post
Looks great so far but what does Samus have to do with Metal Gear Solid? Am I missing something here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by First post
I also offered Samus for use by people that prefer female characters.
Until I make more models, that ones there for people that prefer playing as a girl. I'd like people to enjoy playing the same way they'd play multiplayer normally so I'm trying to offer a nice variety of designs and, in the future, models to suit everyone.

@Viper: Me too, definitely a high light for me.

Last edited by Pan; 02-05-2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:57 AM   #30  
Finzy Corp. CEO

Glad you guys like it. I'll have to add more spectator cameras since they show off the sneaking so well, maybe I'll place actual animated security cameras there, and spectator cameras right on them, so you can see where people are spectating you (if I don't think of another way to implement security cameras for alerts for instance)

I think Samus sneaking around is probably okay, I haven't played Metroid games but isn't she some sort of stealth operative/commando herself? I think that all the characters who can "sneak" should have some relevance to sneaking though, from their background, so we don't have just about every SFL character from Luigi to Sexyroth sneaking around there (if people want to play them, they can go guards ). Another thing is that Snakes should be distinct from the guards so people can distinguish better who is a guard and who isn't.

Quote:

Last edited by Finzy; 02-05-2014 at 06:03 AM.