Seriously!
Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Serious Sam 3

Serious Sam 3 Everything you want to know or say about Serious Sam 3!

View Poll Results: Which Serious Sam 3 weapon feels the most underpowered to you?
Sledgehammer/axe 0 0%
Pistol 1 7.14%
Single shotgun 2 14.29%
Double shotgun 4 28.57%
Assault rifle 5 35.71%
Minigun 0 0%
Rocket launcher 0 0%
C4 0 0%
Lasergun 0 0%
Sirian mutilator 0 0%
Sniper rifle 1 7.14%
Devastator 0 0%
Cannon 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

Default Which Serious Sam 3 weapon feels or is the most underpowered?

By that that either has no use or just lacks visual and/or auditory impact when attacking?
Old 09-07-2015, 10:13 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
Bio
Mechanoid

Default Re: Which Serious Sam 3 weapon feels or is the most underpowered?

Assault Rifle sounded very weak and felt very weak for me because of the slow reloading speed and lower accuracy when you don't aim-down with your sights. The Tommygun from SS1 and SSHD felt a lot more useful and stronger IMO.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:44 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

I think single shotgun is the weakest. It sounds very weak, it seems to have a wide spread and do much less damage than shotguns from previous games, it doesn't have a satisfying animation, it needs to be reloaded and finally, it doesn't really send smaller enemies flying backwards.

It seems that with proper mods, assault rifle sounds actually rather powerful. With shotgun, it's slightly less so.

Last edited by Artman40; 09-07-2015 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:46 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

FreekNik is offline Steam ID: freeknik

I agree with Artman about single shotgun. It's almost useless, huge bullets spread doesn't really help you even at close range, and its sound and visual look is just mediocre and uninspiring at its worst. It's the worst shotgun in the series to me.

The second underpowered and bland weapon would be Lasergun. It's the same as shotty - ugly, very dark and has too large look, there's no feeling when shooting, effects are almost non-existent. In my opinion, TFE Classic lasergun is still the best in terms of usability, and XBOX Classic in terms of design.
Old 09-08-2015, 06:01 AM   #5   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Discy is offline Steam ID: joey42

I agree with Artman.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 09-08-2015, 06:15 AM   #6   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

God Of Gaming is offline Steam ID: godofgamingbg Send a message via Skype™ to God Of Gaming Youtube: GodOfGamingBG

I guess the double barrel shotty feels very nerfed, as it has way too huge spread for having such long barrels, and that's true for TFE/TSE as well. They should either reduce the spread or shorten the barrels to make it more believable. Since tightening the spread will make it actually useful for anything other than a glorified melee weapon, perhaps shortening the barrels is the way to go. All the other weapons in the game are pretty much fine as they are.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:41 AM   #7   Add To Ignore List  
Albino Cyclops

Sacorguy79 is offline Steam ID: sacorguy79 Youtube: TheMKFMusic

I'd have a field day complaining about the lack of ammunition for weapons which I truly enjoy, but I'll try to limit my horizons to just a few weapons.

Traditionally, by Serious Sam standards, the initial weapons you receive such as melee, the pistol/s, and the shotguns, lose their practical value over time. I can understand this design choice for the former two weapons (Sledgehammer was designed rather well, actually), but the shotguns always seem like the powerhouse weapons you can always rely on when Machine guns or explosives don't do the trick. The shotguns could definitely use some more viability, which is a balance that is very well-practiced in Solais' SSHD Extended mod.

The single-barrel shotgun could benefit from a tighter spread to make medium-range elimination more efficient. The double-barrel could use a few more pellets to increase the power, or the shots ought to pierce multiple enemies to dish out damage to incoming numbers.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:53 PM   #8   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

The question is: how to make strong weapons so that you use them but not waste them? Too little ammo or them and you're afraid to use them. Too much ammo and you won't be switching to weaker weapons if the situation allows it.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:19 PM   #9   Add To Ignore List  
Gnaar

Typically weapons like the minigun do not have the pinpoint accuracy like they do in SS; so you would use assault rifle for long distance shooting, and minigun against a screen-filling horde of monsters in front of you. But I guess nerfing the minigun accuracy would a very controversial change, and I can confess I too like minigun-sniping them big guys miles away.

As for shotguns, they don't have very much use in battles like those throughout Guardian of Time. Maybe the pump-action shotgun should have reloaded slightly faster (both pumping and changing the clip), have a slightly reduced spread as mentioned above.

Also, all shot pellets shouldn't necessarily stop at the first weak enemy encountered. By this I mean that if it only takes half of the pellets to kill a rocketeer, the rest should pierce the guy, potentially hitting his pals behind. Like how it was in Doom. Of course, adapting this would mean no more gibbing of weak enemies with point-blank shotgun blasts, heh. Can't have everything...
Old 09-10-2015, 02:55 PM   #10   Add To Ignore List  
Lava Golem

The problem with a classic FPS arsenal is that once you get the "heavy" weapons, there's little reason to use the weaker weapons you started with, such as the shotguns. If you look at more MP arena oriented arsenals, you can still have a rather large palette of weapons, with none feeling too weak. Alternate fire is one way to deal with the issue, e.g. a weak starting AR can have an underslung grenade launcher which you only get ammo for later in the game. It suddenly becomes a more apt weapon later in the game, where you can combine the hard hit of the grenade for "tougher" enemies, while picking the weaker ones off with bullet fire. This allows you to leave the heavier weapons for bigger fights, and using the "weaker" weapons for smaller fights and post-chaos clearing out of weaker enemies.

Another option is to flat out pump up the weaker starter weapons to deal more damage late game through some sort of upgrades, such as new ammo with additional effects (piercing, burning, slowing, etc.). These sorts of upgrades could be combined with alternate fire modes - i.e. you can get that bigger damage or additional effect, but it comes at the cost of increased ammo use, lower accuracy, slower rate of fire, combination of all of those, etc. It would allow you to better balance your use of a weapon and ensure that it doesn't become irrelevant in late game.

And of course it all needs a nice animation and fitting sound to go along with it.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:23 PM   #11   Add To Ignore List  
Khnum

I tried some more of single shotgun. And let me tell you that from medium range or further it basically acts like a slow pistol.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #12   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

FreekNik is offline Steam ID: freeknik

Yeah, I've noticed that too, though it's still impractical in comparison to pistol due to the wide spread range. The bullets' speed and damage seem to 'fade out' in the distance too.