Seriously!
Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Serious Sam 3

Serious Sam 3 Everything you want to know or say about Serious Sam 3!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 05:49 PM   #1  
Khnum

Default Have the graphics of this game worked against it when it comes to custom content?

Or more precisely, how the models etc. have been used in map editor.

For an example, in custom maps in the classic Serious Sam 1, the environments feel less copy-pasted from the official levels.

In Serious Sam 3, you often see custom maps reusing the same models over and over again in their levels. This not only makes the game feel like it's having more copy-pasted environments, but many levels also don't know how and where to place them, resulting in graphical glitches (such as floating objects), collision detection glitches and even blatant invisible walls in an attempt to hide the problems.

What should be done to remedy that in subsequent installments?
Old 01-05-2017, 04:22 AM   #2  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Solais is offline Steam ID: SolaisYosei
Default Re: Have the graphics of this game worked against it when it comes to custom content?

This is something I noticed when it comes to mapping for games in general, even outside of SS: When it comes to mappers, the general idea in their head is that they want to create maps that are at least as good as the levels in the official game. As such, by default, they want to push to achieve just that.

I argued before that this is why people find making maps for SS1 easier: Not because the editor is actually easier (far from it, in my opinion), but because they don't really have to care that much for their maps to look close to Croteam's originals.

And one of the main things Croteam is doing since SS3 (and at parts, even SS2 and SSHD), is that instead of creating unique setpieces (that does take a lot of time and money to create), they instead use a very modular approach to making levels, building them from a reusable set of assets.

These assets in general are sort of helping crutches for the mappers as well. "Why would I want to create unique assets that take a lot of skill and time when I have Croteam quality assets to reuse?"

The only way to "remedy" this "problem" in subsequent installments would be if the future games would use Serious Engine 1 again, and thus fail to sell any copies.

It's just how it goes. I guess one way to remedy this is to have good mappers that could influence newbies. Which we have plenty of, but dunno. Maybe a good set of tutorials, that can always help, but it's quite time consuming to make one. Maybe a set of principles atop of that? Things like "don't make copy-paste levels that much" or something.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:26 AM   #3  
Khnumilicious!

Seriously! Khnum

Discy is offline Steam ID: joey42
Default Re: Have the graphics of this game worked against it when it comes to custom content?

You can't. The more complex the graphics of the game, the more complex the developing tools are to use and the more time it takes to make quality content. Since Serious Sam 1 the skill threshold has gone up quite a lot to make quality content. This isn't Croteam's fault, it's the sad development of gamers being taught to value graphics over anything else.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 01-05-2017, 08:40 PM   #4  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Solais is offline Steam ID: SolaisYosei

It's not even just "valuing graphics over anything else", though. Aesthetics in general are unrelated to graphics. Yet what I see very often are people trying to mimic the overall looks of the original game. Not exactly "how it really looks" but a sort of "visual caricature" of the original game.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:38 AM   #5  
Khnumilicious!

Seriously! Khnum

Discy is offline Steam ID: joey42

Don't mistake that the increased difficulty and workload in creating 'nice' graphics by today's standards plays a role in it. But yes, most games have a distinct style to it and creating a map that fits in that game's universe means people either tend to mimic the style of the game or go in the extreme opposite direction (crap maps are now pretty much a style of themselves).
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)