Seriously!
Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Serious Sam Classic

Serious Sam Classic Discuss anything and everything relating to Serious Sam Classic and its 2 parts; The First Encounter and The Second Encounter.

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a map review YouTube series?
Yes 19 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2017, 11:40 PM   #61   Add To Ignore List  
teitai

魂クラッシャー

Default Re: Would you be interested in a map review YouTube series?

Rock on!
Old 01-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #62   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Jester Of Destiny is offline Send a message via Skype™ to Jester Of Destiny

Right. Bit nervous about this. But here goes nothing.

YouTube Video: The first video.

Last edited by Louva-Deus; 01-21-2017 at 01:57 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:54 PM   #63   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Discy is offline Steam ID: joey42

Good job, man.

You've shown some balls narrating your videos and I applaud you. You have an easy to listen to voice, but sometimes I have trouble making out some words (nothing major though), so maybe YouTube subtitles can assist in that. Your thoughts on the map mirror mine pretty closely, the map pack has brilliant moments but also less fun moments. My only complaint is you're using 360p? Really? What, are you going for 2002 authenticity here?

Some random thoughts:

I like your video format. It's not just dry talk and gameplay, but also screenshots and funny images spliced throughout with just enough humor while still being respectful towards the author. That's a fine line to walk and you did it properly.

The part at 4:40 sounds like an enemy template too close to the surface.

You said you haven't figured out how Mordekai's summons die on his death. That's done by the Sum. Control Area property. Put an AreaMarker in your map and link that property to it, then when Mordekai dies all enemies in the AreaMarker's area will die.

Very well done, you should be proud. I will await more content from you and you should make a review thread for your series.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 01-20-2017, 03:12 AM   #64   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
sometimes I have trouble making out some words
That's a combination of my accent, my inability to pronounce the letter 'r' and my crappy mic. Hopefully, it'll get better with practice.

Quote:
My only complaint is you're using 360p? Really?
I'm trying to conserve space and 360p is usually perfectly fine for me. Although I do listen to a lot of music, recorded with a potato, so I might have developed a bias.

Quote:
while still being respectful towards the author. That's a fine line to walk and you did it properly.
Oh thank god. I was worried I was a bit too harsh at some points. Especially when I commented on the grammar. Good to hear, I didn't cross the line.

Quote:
That's what I was thinking too. It's just so weird someone would leave that in.

Quote:
You said you haven't figured out how Mordekai's summons die on his death. That's done by the Sum. Control Area property. Put an AreaMarker in your map and link that property to it, then when Mordekai dies all enemies in the AreaMarker's area will die.
Ohhhhh, so that's what the AreaMarker is for!

Quote:
Very well done, you should be proud. I will await more content from you and you should make a review thread for your series.
How do I do that though? There used to be a review section, but I guess it didn't gain much momentum, so it got deleted.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:56 AM   #65   Add To Ignore List  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Solais is offline Steam ID: SolaisYosei

Dat Strong Hungarian accent doe.

But yeah, 360p is really not used anymore. Everything is recorded at least 720p, that is the current low standard (with 1080p being the current mid-standard).

Edit: Some parts really cracked me up. Also, cool to hear someone else pronouncing Netricsa the "hungarian way".

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.

Last edited by Solais; 01-20-2017 at 04:48 AM.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #66   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester Of Destiny View Post
That's a combination of my accent, my inability to pronounce the letter 'r' and my crappy mic. Hopefully, it'll get better with practice.
Don't take it the wrong way, it's not annoying or detrimental, but at a few points it's noticeable. YouTube's built-in subtitles are perfect for me to rewind a few seconds, turn them on, catch the word I couldn't make out and turn them off again.

Quote:
Oh thank god. I was worried I was a bit too harsh at some points. Especially when I commented on the grammar. Good to hear, I didn't cross the line.
Well, you're definitely on the harsh side of the line at times, but the intention is very important. If you're doing it to mock the author I would object, but you are really giving constructive feedback in a humorous manner. I can't speak for everyone, though, and I'm curious how Raka will like it.

Quote:
How do I do that though? There used to be a review section, but I guess it didn't gain much momentum, so it got deleted.
I assume this thread was just to 'test the water', so you can just make a new official thread in either a Serious Sam subforum or the Game Talk subforum. Use that to keep all the reviewed videos in the first post and post there to announce new entries. If you get this train going we'll probably sticky it.

Anyway, how long did it take you to make and what will your next project be?
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:03 PM   #67   Add To Ignore List  
Wake Up

FreekNik is offline Steam ID: freeknik

I just watched your video and gotta say that I pretty much enjoyed it It was quite informative, constructive and funny. I have to agree with Discy about the video quality and some small voice recognition problems due to your pronunciation though, but that's not crucial at all (nothing can confuse me anymore after I heard Solais' accent during that old developer AMA voicechat ). Keep on making those videos, practice more and I'm sure you'll get better and better with each new review. Liked/subbed. Cheers, man.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:55 PM   #68   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Well, then I guess that's the first thing to improve upon in the future. Figure out youtube subtitles, talk more clearly and improve the quality. Shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Quote:
I can't speak for everyone, though, and I'm curious how Raka will like it.
Yeah, I should probably message him about it too. It's his map afterall.

Quote:
you can just make a new official thread in either a Serious Sam subforum or the Game Talk subforum. Use that to keep all the reviewed videos in the first post and post there to announce new entries.
That's probably what I'm gonna do. Noted.

Quote:
Anyway, how long did it take you to make and what will your next project be?
It took 2-3 months, but only because I was busy (christmas can be cruel to confectionery workers) and I like to procrastinate.

Not sure what the next one's gonna be. First of all, I wanted to focus on music for a while and work on reviews in the meantime. I don't want to abandon any of the stuff I do on youtube. And I don't even know what my next review's gonna be. Probably an older one, like Portals or Hidden City of Otmosis. Will only do simple reviews for now and do lessons and tips a bit later.

I know, my schedule is one video per month and I have music planned for february and march.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:28 PM   #69   Add To Ignore List  
Goodbye Moonmen

Seriously! Khnum

So we won't see another review until at least April? Man, that's a bummer.

Old 01-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #70   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Well, I didn't expect to have much of a success by the first one. Maybe I'll decide to release it in march.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:09 PM   #71   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

why youtube thinks it's widescreen video?
Old 02-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #72   Add To Ignore List  
#AltFurry

Valerie Valens is offline Steam ID: Valerie-Valens Send a message via AIM to Valerie Valens Twitter: LadyFuzztail Youtube: JoanMichele

This is a pretty good start, though if you're able to provide in 720p that would improve things a lot. You also might wanna do a bit of EQ/Compression to your voice so it would sound more clearer and would cut through the mix more easily.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:53 AM   #73   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Just saw your comment.

Yeah I have to get a better sound. But there's only so much you can do with a cheap mic. I'll try uploading in 720.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:24 AM   #74   Add To Ignore List  
Andromeda

Seriously! Sam Master

Rakanishu is offline Steam ID: rkinf

Quote:
That's pretty right. Didn't notice if before

I'll quote what I personnaly sent to JOD.
Quote:
I've just watched it and thanks for doing such a video ! I laughed really much , especially on how you judged the netricsa messages and what's funny too is that I agree with your thoughts My english is far to be good and the story consistency does not even exist haha. I was pretty young when I did this and I focused mainly on design. In my second pack, maps are more focused on gameplay, I took time to balance fights but sadly levels are very laggy. The story is still bullshit in the second pack Peace

Procyon, alive... and still shining.
Check STM 1.08B for SSSE by Troy and Zeo.
French mapper and modder since 2010.