Seriously!
Get Your Official Serious Sam T-Shirts! (Women's Shirts)
Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Serious Sam Revolution

Serious Sam Revolution An updated and streamlined version of Serious Sam Classic featuring a combined campaign, new multiplayer features, Steamworks, VAC, and a lot more.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-25-2016, 12:37 AM   #121  
The Purple Cat

Default Re: The Feature Request Thread

Yeah same I agree with that as well.. Serious Editor should have more kinds of property options (the classic Serious Editor), like apart from text boxes, etc there should be a multi-line text control property for the classic serious editor. Yeah you should have some kind of conditions trigger but that would require a lot of work. For example a trigger will check if a monster is active or not, or if the difficulty is easy or whatever, and then with true or false events you select the check boxes as to what trigger it will affect (e.g. Trigger 0, 1, 2, 3, etc...).

They should also have a multi enemy type spawner which is like a trigger that links to different enemy templates or spawners. Another useful option thinking of it, is with triggers they should have a 'Wait' time BEFORE activating the trigger (e.g. Trigger 0 Event Type, Trigger 0, and then there should be Trigger 0 Wait) or whatever. It will be much useful !

I dunno if this is odd or not but Serious Editor should have another property box besides 'Tool info'. This should be like a Info box and it contains some useful tools, or whatever (within Serious Editor). Like notes, and some tools like quick tools, weapon flags, a mini calculator, the game's log file, or whatever... (despite SEMT) but it would be much easier to access and all, or maybe a tab where it opens up to a list of favourite programs, like SEMT and a button like Open or whatever.

Also on one of my mods I do have a note tool in Serious Editor so i can stick them around the level if i need to remind myself to do this or that. However I have to have Note 0, Note 1, Note 2, etc.. Because it doesn't support a multi text box. That would be a useful thing to have on Rev editor...
Old 12-25-2016, 07:20 AM   #122  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Scratch is offline PSN ID: NimbleCatt Steam ID: ansjh Twitter: ansjh Youtube: youMrAG LinkedIn: 77325926

Huh. I thought that was already a property on EnemySpawner..? :S

Edit: Missed a page again

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog - My outdated portfolio website - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 12-25-2016, 07:28 AM   #123  
Khnum

Serious Sam(BG) is offline Send a message via Skype™ to Serious Sam(BG)

There is death target option for enemies, and via trigger entity you can use event type what you want.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:59 AM   #124  
Footballer Orc

The thing is that you need two different templates if you want to spawn two exact enemies but with different death triggers. Serious Sam is a game mostly based on "destroy all enemies in room then proceed to next one" which means you basically need a fresh copy of enemy templates every room.

If EnemySpawner could override template death target, you would just need a one kleer skeleton, one scorpion etc per level and just connect enemy spawners to triggers that count enemies killed and allow player to proceed.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:09 PM   #125  
Khnum

Serious Sam(BG) is offline Send a message via Skype™ to Serious Sam(BG)

It's nonsense to me. It's simple, it works, I don't see a reason to change it.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #126  
Not a real doctor

DrTr1gger is offline PSN ID: DrTr1gger Steam ID: drtr1gger Youtube: DrTr1gger

Hey, you can always do this:
1. Set enemy template death target as some trigger. I'll call it "CountTrigger"
2. If you have 2 rooms create triggers for doors like you would normally do. Let's say Room1 needs 20 kills to open door and Room2 needs 5.
3. Set CountTrigger target 1 and 2 to Room1 and Room2 triggers.
4. Mark Room2 trigger inactive and activate it when entering the room

And done. Every kill of that enemy will count towards Room1 and later towards Room2 when activated.

MY SHOWCASE THREAD
Old 12-26-2016, 05:12 AM   #127  
The Purple Cat

Actually that is quite an idea in terms of enemy spawning like setting every enemy do the same death target but using count triggers at different points to trigger certain things. It certainly would lower work load (as before I done stuff like made multiple enemies with that number of death targets going to an individual trigger.)

Or maybe the enemy spawner should be able to be reused, like if it gets re-triggered (and enemy amount increases).. But that does nothing I think, haven't tried it. Or if nothing happened there should be another trigger to refill the enemy spawners or reset them, also changing the maximum enemy count in-game.

But then you just have to have 1 enemy of that type per level, and the large enemy template boxes layed out in a dormant army form is quite fun to play around with (like triggering to this, that, etc..) fascinating how these template rooms work.. Like you just ghost out of the level and are presented with a box with the entire of Mental's army just layed out in an orderly fasion.. When actually whey all have different death targets to different triggers...

Last edited by Buzzy; 12-26-2016 at 05:17 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:12 AM   #128  
Footballer Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Sam(BG) View Post
It's nonsense to me. It's simple, it works, I don't see a reason to change it.
Sorry but I cant agree. I'll give you an example of feature like that already in SED:

Enemy Spawner has a Patrol Target property which overrides monsters default enemy marker. Without this feature you would need to create enemy templates for each room with enemy markers individually, but instead you can just make a template enemy without enemy marker and then let EnemySpawner to override this thing for all creatures who are spawning using this ES. In next room you will use the same template enemy but just set different patrol target.

Why cant we have the same for Death Target, especially when "something happen when enemy(ies) is killed" is literally definition of this game. In larger maps that have "scripted" combats you will end with having 25 different kleer skeletons with names like Boneman, Boneman first room, Boneman Shotgun Spawn, Boneman Second Room Before Health, Boneman Bridge Spawn, etc. Multiply this by like 20 different enemies that exist in your level and you easly hit a 100+ templates for a single map. Adding a new enemy spawner will require you to scroll through a list of same copied templates that only differ by their "Death Target" setting and adding a new scripted combat forces you to move to copier master room, place new template, connect triggers, go back to your map. I just feel it is so unnecessary work that makes mapmaking more chaotic, more error prone and just boilerplating over and over the same thing again.

I am pretty sure that this change would be quite easy to do, because it already exists in form of "Patrol Target" in enemy spawner so it is possible for ES to tune up spawned enemy properties.

Last edited by LarvaExotech; 12-29-2016 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:45 AM   #129  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Scratch is offline PSN ID: NimbleCatt Steam ID: ansjh Twitter: ansjh Youtube: youMrAG LinkedIn: 77325926

You're right, if that doesn't exist it should be added.

I've made an issue for it on our bugtracker: https://ap.samrev.com/bugs/index.php...s/view&id=1597

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog - My outdated portfolio website - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 12-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #130  
Footballer Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
You're right, if that doesn't exist it should be added.

I've made an issue for it on our bugtracker: https://ap.samrev.com/bugs/index.php...s/view&id=1597
Thank you!
Old 12-29-2016, 02:02 PM   #131  
Gnaar

puszek324 is offline Steam ID: puszek_okruszek

Hello!

I have some suggestions:

a) Settings for enemies:

-alignment - enemies become good, bad, hate all or neutrall. This option would be compability with Start Target Enemy (good - attack set enemy and then another enemy (if is some enemy) and no attack player, bad - attack set enemy and then player, hate all - attack set enemy and then near enemy or player, neutrall - no attack any enemies and players)

-Death copy target - spawn item or template enemies while death enemy. It would have additional options:
1) spawn effect - I don't think I need to explain
2) spawn height - same as above
3) spawn chance - chance at item or enemy, value can only be 1 or less (example: spawn chance 0.20 - 20% chance for item or enemy)

-Melee damage - change damage melee attack for enemies (sorry, I forgot write this :/ )

b) Settings for Ammo:

- Ammo amount (like in Weapons)

Last edited by puszek324; 01-25-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:38 PM   #132  
Not a real doctor

a) - sounds cool
1) - what?
2) - what?
3) - what?
b) - dunno cuz player expects to receive set amount of ammo when picking up packs but well, why not

MY SHOWCASE THREAD
Old 12-31-2016, 08:50 PM   #133  
Gnaar

In sense of options 1) 2) 3) would be done separately (No: Death copy target - target and 3 options BUT: Death Copy target - target, DCT spawn effect - true or false, DCT spawn height - float number, DCT spawn chance - float number) without suboptions.
You mean that?
Old 12-31-2016, 08:56 PM   #134  
Not a real doctor

Don't know what you mean by "death copy target".
If you want to spawn item on enemy death just attach copier entity to it if that's what you need.

MY SHOWCASE THREAD
Old 01-01-2017, 04:09 AM   #135  
Gnaar

Quote:
If you want to spawn item on enemy death just attach copier entity to it if that's what you need.
Yes.

Sure I can use the copier, but I must add 300 enemies then the harder it is to add 300 separate spawners with type teleport and 300 copiers. This method results in losing fps.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:27 AM   #136  
Footballer Orc

Yesterday I was wondering if it would be possible and hard to add to Serious Sam new entity - basically a brush with simple physics and several utilities.

It would act like brush, so it would require CSG to be placed on world. Upon placed it would behave like a standard brush but with simple physics - and by writing simple I mean really simple, something like debris boulders from destroyable moving brushes - basically just colliding with floor and gravity. It could have some properties like:

Active? - when it is not active, the brush is not affected by psyhics, is not visible nor collidable
Initial Force Direction - a vector of force applied to brush when it is activated
Initial Force Strength - amount of force applied to brush when it is activated
Disappear Time - the brush fades away and disappears after that amount of seconds

There are few use cases for this - for example it could used to create simple traps like falling cage from ceiling. Like a RollingStone entity but brush-based. Of course we can do it now with moving brushes but trying to simulate gravity using markers is .. meh

Second use case would be to create nice destruction animations to destroyable moving brushes. Lets say we want to recreate a metal gate that is blowable by werebull (like in Karnak) - metal gate that turns into pile of boulders would look silly. Instead I'd set moving brush debris count to 0 and instead manually create several gate parts (split apart) using new "psyhics brush" entity, setup force and activate them using trigger after destruction of moving brush, so when bull would charge into metal gate, it would "split" on 3 parts that are blown away.

Just wondering if it would be possible and hard to do

Last edited by LarvaExotech; 01-11-2017 at 07:03 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:34 AM   #137  
Khnumilicious!

Seriously! Khnum

Discy is offline Steam ID: joey42

The engine already supports physics for entities in different forms: Very simple (items), normal (rolling ball entity) and complex (players, enemies and projectiles). All these physics use models though, and maybe if you 'borrow' code from Moving Brushes it could work.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 01-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #138  
Footballer Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
The engine already supports physics for entities in different forms: Very simple (items), normal (rolling ball entity) and complex (players, enemies and projectiles). All these physics use models though, and maybe if you 'borrow' code from Moving Brushes it could work.
Probably though I am not sure if Moving Brush is a good place to start. This entity does not behave according to any physics, it just blindly follows markers (it can however gib player so I am not sure). Perhaps editing rolling ball entity and turning it into brush entity instead of model-based entity would work, though I have no idea how physics is calculated in this game.

I was worried that RollingStone could just have its own "special" physics implementation (because Pendulum seems to do so) working only for round shapes, though looking at RollingStone source code it seems not to (RollingStone.es - it just seems to "attach" some generic physics model into entity.

SetPhysicsFlags(EPF_ONBLOCK_BOUNCE|EPF_PUSHABLE|EP F_MOVABLE|EPF_TRANSLATEDBYGRAVITY);

Probably creating a simple brush entity, adding certain "physics flags" and probably calculating bounding box based on CSG shape would make this work.

Edit: However from what I remember, when Ugh Zan destroys architecture, the parts of obelisks flying seem to be hardcoded inside DestroyableArchitecture. The same goes with RollingBall. If it would be THAT easy, I dont think they would hardcode this, they would just prepare more flexible (csg based) solution instead.

Last edited by LarvaExotech; 01-11-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #139  
Khnumilicious!

Seriously! Khnum

Discy is offline Steam ID: joey42

I mentioned Moving Brushes because I assume CSG handles differently than just model collision since model collision can only be a block. Because Moving Brushes already have to take physics into account when it comes to player/enemy/projectile interaction with complex brush work would make taking a page from that code base seem like a good plan. But I'm not an engine programmer, I'm just thinking out loud here.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 01-11-2017, 12:09 PM   #140  
Footballer Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discy View Post
I mentioned Moving Brushes because I assume CSG handles differently than just model collision since model collision can only be a block. Because Moving Brushes already have to take physics into account when it comes to player/enemy/projectile interaction with complex brush work would make taking a page from that code base seem like a good plan. But I'm not an engine programmer, I'm just thinking out loud here.
Neither I am and I get your point.