Seriously!
Go Back   Seriously! Forums > General > Game Talk

Game Talk Talk about your favorite games! Arrange play times! And more!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-19-2017, 06:48 PM   #3781  
Lava Golem

Default Re: Random game talk

I gave Overwatch 4 or 5 chances and went straight back to TF2. TF2 feels like a battle between two teams and Overwatch feels like an oddly lighthearted gang fight between bizarre misfits.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #3782  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Scratch is offline PSN ID: NimbleCatt Steam ID: ansjh Twitter: ansjh Youtube: youMrAG LinkedIn: 77325926

That just means you're playing in low rank matches Keep going

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog - My outdated portfolio website - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 02-20-2017, 12:29 AM   #3783  
Lava Golem

No, it's because the game fundamentally requires less teamwork than TF2. With upgradeable sentries and uber charges TF2 has actual obstacles that Blu team needs to overcome. In Overwatch it's just kill the other team and push the cart every once in a while. Overwatch did the right thing by not being a TF2 clone but I happen to not like it.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:20 AM   #3784  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Scratch is offline PSN ID: NimbleCatt Steam ID: ansjh Twitter: ansjh Youtube: youMrAG LinkedIn: 77325926

"With upgradeable sentries and uber charges TF2 has actual obstacles that Blu team needs to overcome."

Just means you haven't played enough Overwatch yet, this kind of gameplay is definitely in Overwatch.

CodeCat, my blog - My outdated portfolio website - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 02-20-2017, 08:46 AM   #3785  
s! shitposter

T-ReXx is offline PSN ID: RealT-ReXx Steam ID: thetrexx Send a message via Skype™ to T-ReXx Twitter: @omgitstrexx Youtube: TheRealTReXx

You just didn't like Overwatch and that's that. Blizzard announcing an FPS years back was the selling point to me, and it just happened that the game is just what I expected from fast paced FPS
11:02 PM - Target: If I see meme in your post for the third time, there will be truly no away for your cheeks.
2:02 AM - T-ReXx: a meme
2:04 AM - Target: I am gonna get your naked ass, T-ReXx
2:06 AM - Target: I will suck your rectum as if was a spaghetti noodle until there is nothing left to suck off!

22:06 - ♠T-ReXx: it's bain's amazing trap
22:06 - ♠Jetroid: Is it amazing?
22:06 - ♠T-ReXx: no

Scratch: Edit: fuck there was another page, T-ReXx off-the-page-ninja
Old 02-20-2017, 11:47 PM   #3786  
Lava Golem

"You just didn't like Overwatch and that's that."

That's exactly what I'm saying.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:30 AM   #3787  
Khnumilicious!

Seriously! Khnum

Discy is offline Steam ID: joey42

You're just saying that's exactly what you're saying and that's that.
[22:30] Fiendian: Discy, Finzy and Louva shall merge into a superentity known as the Lickyfonz.
"Can we just move Discy's posts to the HOF automatically already? :P" -Jetty

Ir-Kalla: Serious Sam Classic map pack in development (Ir-Kalla: Egypt Demo)
Old 02-22-2017, 05:25 PM   #3788  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Now you're just saying things.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:37 AM   #3789  
Lava Golem

I'm saying that the notion I have implied is the inference I have mentioned.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:47 AM   #3790  
ideas but no skills

PikaCommando is offline Steam ID: PikaCommando

I was going to save up money for one of those sweet Red/Blue Nintendo Switch, but then I heard there are some pretty serious design flaws with the hardware. I expected better from Nintendo.

YouTube Video: Guess I'll have to wait for the SP/Lite/i/XL version then.

I don't think the Wii U is a failure though. It's a dedicated gaming machine like the Gamecube was, and did its job pretty well.
Old 03-07-2017, 09:02 AM   #3791  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

So send it back and get a new one

uh

Old 03-07-2017, 09:12 AM   #3792  
ideas but no skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
So send it back and get a new one

uh
Must be fun to live in a Nintendo-supported country.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #3793  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

If your country is not "supported" could you even buy one in the first place?? Also what does "supported" mean

Old 03-07-2017, 11:06 AM   #3794  
ideas but no skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
If your country is not "supported" could you even buy one in the first place?? Also what does "supported" mean
I have no idea how but American/Asian English consoles somehow get imported in. Or I could just order from Amazon.

Also, "supported" means that the company officially recognizes your country and sets up shop there and provides as much support as they do to other countries like the USA and Japan. For the record, setting my country as my country in my 3DS gives me an empty e-Shop (can't buy any titles, only demos and trailers).

In other words, since Nintendo either doesn't know or care about my country, the warranty is basically void.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #3795  
Howdy.

Seriously! Beardmaster

NoMercy Rider is offline Gamertag: NoMercy Rider Steam ID: nomercyrider

I love my 3DS and I love Nintendo titles in general. But Nintendo really needs to get their shit together and catch up with the modern age. These are just a few of the issues with the Switch I have found:
  • Nintendo currently will not replace any Switch handhelds that have dead pixels, since this is just "standard" manufacturing defects.
  • Many reports of Zelda performing much smoother while in mobile mode versus docked. Sure this won't be the only case, since the game runs at different resolutions for mobile versus docked.
  • There is still not a unified eShop experience. So any titles purchased on the Wii/WiiU/3DS eShop will not be playable on the Switch. Even if those titles are also available on the Switch eShop. I can't believe this still exists.
  • There is currently no way to transfer save files onto microSD cards. So if you ever need to replace your Switch for any reason, say goodbye to all those savefiles.
  • There are some digital games on the eShop that have storage requirements that exceed the built-in storage. So a microSD card is pretty much a requirement.

Come on Nintendo, I want the best for you. Yet you seem to never learn...

Old 03-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #3796  
Werebull

I was hyped for the new Zelda but the list of reasons above is why I won't be getting a Switcheroo. I've owned every single Nintendo console except for the Virtual Boy and the Wii U, but the last few times I bought a console from them, I regretted it. My Wii has been a paperweight since shortly after buying it, and the 3DS was one of the worst purchases of my life.

The Wii U has the worst library of games that I've ever seen. They promised Zelda then delivered a worse looking version than the tech demo they previewed years ago. The game was also released years after it became impossible to buy a new Wii U since they are no longer produced.

The Switch launch titles consist of Wii U ports and half baked shovelware. I wanted Nintendo to succeed but they have been disappointing since the Gamecube. Even they seem to realize it because they just keep selling the same games to us that we already bought. See Virtual Console, Twilight Princess HD, Wind Water HD, Ocarina 3D, Majora's Mask 3D, and so forth. Even New Super Mario Bros. has just been a poorly executed throwback so the pre-N64 Mario days.

I guess that I just need to realize that I'm not their target audience anymore and that I haven't been for a long time. Maybe kids today love these new games. This will be the first Zelda that I'll never play, which is a shame because it looks really fun.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:12 PM   #3797  
ideas but no skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorchop View Post
I was hyped for the new Zelda but the list of reasons above is why I won't be getting a Switcheroo. I've owned every single Nintendo console except for the Virtual Boy and the Wii U, but the last few times I bought a console from them, I regretted it. My Wii has been a paperweight since shortly after buying it, and the 3DS was one of the worst purchases of my life.

The Wii U has the worst library of games that I've ever seen. They promised Zelda then delivered a worse looking version than the tech demo they previewed years ago. The game was also released years after it became impossible to buy a new Wii U since they are no longer produced.

The Switch launch titles consist of Wii U ports and half baked shovelware. I wanted Nintendo to succeed but they have been disappointing since the Gamecube. Even they seem to realize it because they just keep selling the same games to us that we already bought. See Virtual Console, Twilight Princess HD, Wind Water HD, Ocarina 3D, Majora's Mask 3D, and so forth. Even New Super Mario Bros. has just been a poorly executed throwback so the pre-N64 Mario days.

I guess that I just need to realize that I'm not their target audience anymore and that I haven't been for a long time. Maybe kids today love these new games. This will be the first Zelda that I'll never play, which is a shame because it looks really fun.
My 3DS has been collecting dust too, but I don't regret buying it one bit. It was a great platform for JRPGs like the NDS was and being able to play Smash Bros on the go is really amazing. I've never owned a Nintendo console though (because they practically didn't exist in my country before the Wii), just handhelds since the GameBoy.
Old 03-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #3798  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Solais is offline Steam ID: SolaisYosei

Nintendo are basically those angry asset flip shovelware creators on Steam. They make shit, and steal others' copyrighted work (youtube videos, which are actually copyrighted products of legally registered companies), but if it's them that are "threatened" (even when they are not), they go out of their way to retaliate, while making an ass out of themselves in the eyes of the public.

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.

Last edited by Solais; 03-08-2017 at 02:59 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 05:51 PM   #3799  
Howdy.

Seriously! Beardmaster

Eh, all the copyright claims are one thing, but don't think it's particularly one thing that will break a business.

For me, Nintendo is really running a broken business model and basically refuses to listen to market/consumer demands. They've basically used the exact same business model for each console release since the Wii (maybe even the Gamecube to an extent) and refuse to learn from past mistakes. That business model boils down to: sell based on a new gimmick, use old hardware, strong pillar of first party titles (Zelda Title #100), all while ignoring all trends in the industry.

The thing is, the first party titles are about the only thing selling Nintendo consoles these days. Sure, maybe some people buy into their consoles for the gimmicks, but it really boils down to 20-something year olds who grew up playing Zelda and want to live out that nostalgia on a new generation. I know seven people who bought a Switch... all of them bought it to play the new Zelda and really for no other reason.

However, most of those 20-something year olds also want a lot more functionality from gaming consoles these days. Things like a strong digital market, assurances that purchases will carry forward, cross-product support, and a simple social aspect for playing with friends. Basically none of those things apply to Nintendo. It boggles my mind that they still use the archaic friend code system when it's been widely panned as horribly inefficient.

For me, the biggest pitfall is using outdated hardware. It astounds me that they would release hardware that is worse than 4-year old console systems. What this effectively does is completely cut them out of any notable third-party support. They've garnered quite a bit of Indie support, which is good, but I don't think it's enough. As it is, there really isn't a solid reason for owning a Switch as your primary gaming platform, and I don't see anyone following that path. Everyone who owns a Nintendo console, owns it in addition to another gaming device. I would never want my business model to be, "we know we can't compete for the primary entertainment device, so we will just try for second best."

This all sounds harsh, but it all stems out of love. I love Zelda. I love Pokemon. I love Mario Kart. I love Super Smash Bros. But I haven't found a compelling argument to retire my 3DS that has all those titles (including most of the classics), when Nintendo can't seem to catch up with the current century.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:18 PM   #3800  
ideas but no skills

Gamecube and Wii U isn't based on gimmicks though. Just really good gaming machines that improves upon what their predecessors did.

Nintendo platforms are basically the most social gaming platform out there. Look at all the splitscreen games!

If anything, I'd say they made a great move (in theory) with the Switch; bridging the gap between home consoles and handhelds instead of going after the VR gimmick.

Also, I like Nintendo only for Pokemon and Metroid. Doesn't stop me from liking all the amazing third-party games on their systems like Shin Megami Tensei and Ace Attorney.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:29 PM   #3801  
Lava Golem

What pisses me off about Nintendo the most is their treatment of YouTubers and how they go after let's plays and even reviews. They're using antiquated business practices thinking that video sharing will cut into their profit margin when it would actually do the exact opposite. But I heard that this is Nintendo Japan when Nintendo America is actually much better in this regard. Those crotchety old Japanese suits over in Japan are driving the company into the ground.
Old 03-08-2017, 12:17 AM   #3802  
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMercy Rider View Post
As it is, there really isn't a solid reason for owning a Switch as your primary gaming platform, and I don't see anyone following that path. Everyone who owns a Nintendo console, owns it in addition to another gaming device. I would never want my business model to be, "we know we can't compete for the primary entertainment device, so we will just try for second best."
I pretty much agree with your entire post. Prior to the Wii, Nintendo was directly competing with other consoles and most people were okay with picking one or the other. I was happy with a Gamecube because it had pretty good third party support and graphically, it was either on par with or exceeded the competition. Some of my favorite games on that system were third party titles like Prince of Persia Sands of Time but the first party titles like Mario Sunshine and Smash Melee were great.

I'm also guilty of taking the nostalgia bait, hence why I bought the 3DS. Even though I ridiculed the business practice in my prior post, I got the 3DS for the Zelda remakes because they are some of my favorite games of all time and I didn't wanna miss out on what might've been the "definitive" versions. I also have to admit that the only compelling reason for me to pick up a Wii U or Switch is for Zelda. I feel like it's an itch that I need to scratch but I also bought the Wii for Twilight Princess and very much regretted it, especially since it was also on the Gamecube. At this point I'm still on the fence about just trying to get a used Wii U so that I can play Breath of the Wild but it still feels extremely wasteful getting a console for one game, especially when the Wii U has such an awful library.

I don't really know what the story is behind the copyright issues but frankly I'm not really concerned about Youtubers. They can go get actual career jobs if they're concerned about not being able to make a living by playing video games. I agree that all of their other business practices are mind boggling however. If I want to play Zelda on the Switch, I now have to consider paying somewhere around $400 just to get a console that will STILL be secondary to the PS4 and even my aging PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaCommando View Post
Gamecube and Wii U isn't based on gimmicks though. Just really good gaming machines that improves upon what their predecessors did.

Nintendo platforms are basically the most social gaming platform out there. Look at all the splitscreen games!

If anything, I'd say they made a great move (in theory) with the Switch; bridging the gap between home consoles and handhelds instead of going after the VR gimmick.

Also, I like Nintendo only for Pokemon and Metroid. Doesn't stop me from liking all the amazing third-party games on their systems like Shin Megami Tensei and Ace Attorney.
The Wii U is one of the most gimmicky consoles of all time, albeit slightly less gimmicky than the Wii. The entire selling point was based around the piss poor tablet, which is probably the worst controller in gaming history surpassing even the N64. Making it mandatory was pointless as well. You can't even navigate system settings without the tablet, which was absolutely unnecessary. I also don't think that the gap between handhelds and home consoles was one that needed to be bridged. People have always accepted that handhelds were a class of their own. When I got a Game Boy, I wasn't expecting Super Mario Land to play like Super Mario World on the SNES or even Mario Bros. 3 on the NES.
Old 03-08-2017, 01:39 AM   #3803  
ideas but no skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poorchop View Post
The Wii U is one of the most gimmicky consoles of all time, albeit slightly less gimmicky than the Wii. The entire selling point was based around the piss poor tablet, which is probably the worst controller in gaming history surpassing even the N64. Making it mandatory was pointless as well. You can't even navigate system settings without the tablet, which was absolutely unnecessary.
I consider a gimmick to be something that changes the way you play the game, like Wii and motion controls... or the Kinect and "motion" controls. Wii U even though based around that tablet, is really nothing more than a home console version of a DS. From the gameplay videos I've seen for games on it so far, it doesn't change how players are already playing the game since the same gimmick "dual screen touchscreen gaming" is already done and proven successful with the NDS.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:06 AM   #3804  
Developer Fairy

Croteam Representative

Solais is offline Steam ID: SolaisYosei

I think Switch is pretty much a thing because Nintendo is Japanese and in Japan, the largest gaming market is mobile, with every other platform falling out of use. Which again shows that they are really designing stuff after Japanese standards. I never got the thing about this "street pass" thingamajig, like, who else owns a 3DS in this country of mine that would work with it?

My Serious Sam 3/HD Workshop

While I do work for Croteam, I'm first of all of this community, so my opinions are my own and do not represent Croteam's views.
Unless when I use this nice blue color I totally didn't steal from Blizzard.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:56 AM   #3805  
Werebull

I guess that means their next release will be Super Pachinko Bros.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:30 PM   #3806  
Howdy.

Seriously! Beardmaster

Heh, StreetPass was one of my favorite features of the 3DS. Of course, I recognize the pointlessness of it if you don't live in an area with a lot of 3DS owners. I loved bringing my 3DS with me wherever I went. Inevitable I would get 10 contacts with people I crossed paths with. It was always cool to discover people from different parts of the world. Really an ingenious idea, giving people a compelling reason to bring their 3DS with them.

But yeah, the Switch is the logical evolution of Nintendo's business model. Because let's face it, Nintendo has been the king of the handheld market, but has suffered a bit in the home console market. Makes since to bridge the gap between the two markets. Thing is... I'm not sure the handheld market is as thriving as it used to be. The mobile market has slowly been expanding into that territory.

Of course, I see that the Switch has had record breaking sales numbers, so I guess my arguments are completely wrong
Old 03-09-2017, 05:17 AM   #3807  
Lava Golem

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaCommando View Post
I was going to save up money for one of those sweet Red/Blue Nintendo Switch, but then I heard there are some pretty serious design flaws with the hardware. I expected better from Nintendo.

YouTube Video: Guess I'll have to wait for the SP/Lite/i/XL version then.

I don't think the Wii U is a failure though. It's a dedicated gaming machine like the Gamecube was, and did its job pretty well.

Aw crap. I bought expensive 40" LCD SONY it broken like this it was upsetting....Long story finally swap one and still working to this day