Seriously!
Go Back   Seriously! Forums > Gaming > Serious Sam 3

Serious Sam 3 Everything you want to know or say about Serious Sam 3!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2016, 12:59 PM   #1   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Default Running a Linux Dedicated Server

I have been trying for a while now to get a BFE dedicated server up and running on a Linux machine, but no matter the method that I used, the server would fail to start with the following error message:

Code:
[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.so.
The official SteamCMD page suggests a fix that does nothing, and using Linux Game Server Managers doesn't seem to work for BFE either. After a bit more digging around today, I found a solution that comes courtesy of elpronto.de on the Steam discussion forums:

1. Follow the official SteamCMD instructions for the initial setup process. The following steps will assume that you used "ss3" as the name of your installation directory.
2. Check the readme in the ss3/Help/ directory in order to set up your server's configuration file. I'll assume that you named the file "server.cfg".
3. Try starting the dedicated server: ~/steamcmd/ss3/Bin/runSam3_DedicatedServer.sh +exec server.cfg
4. If you get the aforementioned error message, then the fix is very simple:

Code:
rm ~/steamcmd/ss3/Bin/steamclient.so
cp ~/steamcmd/linux32/steamclient.so ~/steamcmd/ss3/Bin/
Try starting the server again and everything should work. If you don't see your server in the server list, then you probably need to configure your server's firewall.

If you want to easily generate a configuration file, check out Scratch's Dedicated Server Runner. If you're copying it over to your server, you might need to ensure that you're using Unix line endings.

Unfortunately, SSHD does not have any support for Linux so running a TFE/TSE dedicated server is impossible for Linux users. I doubt that it will come to Linux at this point but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. Dedicated servers are a great way to keep the community alive.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:34 PM   #2   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Scratch is offline PSN ID: NimbleCatt Steam ID: ansjh Twitter: ansjh Youtube: youMrAG LinkedIn: 77325926
Default Re: Running a Linux Dedicated Server

SSHD servers work really well on Wine, if you're willing to go that far to get an HD server running on Linux

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog - My outdated portfolio website - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)
Old 08-17-2016, 06:11 PM   #3   Add To Ignore List  
Werebull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
SSHD servers work really well on Wine, if you're willing to go that far to get an HD server running on Linux
I considered it but I don't know if it's possible to run Wine totally headless. Bandwidth and storage space could also be constraints for my low end box so I'd probably have to run one or the other. There are quite a few BFE servers right now though so I think that we could definitely use some more HD dedicated servers. I'm always in the mood for TFE and TSE HD.

I mostly just wanted to do this as a test and also because I wanted some control over a server. It's nice to have one guaranteed server that will be free of pointless kicks, bans, and rushers as long as I'm around.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:51 AM   #4   Add To Ignore List  
🐱 Kitty 💘💙💚💛💜

Crackshell Developer

Scratch is offline PSN ID: NimbleCatt Steam ID: ansjh Twitter: ansjh Youtube: youMrAG LinkedIn: 77325926

I'm not sure how well Wine is regarding resources, honestly.. I've not really had to care about that since having 32 GB of RAM in my server

Nimble Writer - now available on Steam, Itch.io.
CodeCat, my blog - My outdated portfolio website - I also have a showcase, which I barely update.
(I do not respond to PM's about Serious Sam Revolution or Bogus Detour. Please use the appropriate community hubs for that.)